H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

thank you Kosu, I would like to know if they let me take diaper bag with me

kosu said:
Yes, you can take your kid with you for the interview. I went to ottowa sometime last year for my H1B stamping. But just make sure that your wife doesnt carry her purse. They will not allow. They will not even allow to take your car keys. You can drop your car keys at the security and later pick it up. Also make sure that you carry all your documents in a clear plastic bag or file folders.

Let me know if you have any questions.
:)

visa stamp in canada

Hi guys,

I am also planning to get my H1-B visa stamped from Canada in early September and have the following questions .
I got my first h1-b visa (from F1 to H1) in July 2003 and then I transferred it to my current employer in Oct 2004 , I am working for a large Engineering firm with almost 60 offices nationwide and more then 1500 employees, this will be my frist H1-B visa stamp.
My wife came here on F-2 visa and she already got her H4 stamp last year from my home country.(Pakistan)

The concerns are

1. Which embassy should I go to any prefrence?.
2. I do not have Canadian PR, would that be a problem.
3. I have not started my Greencard process yet.

I am at east coast.

Your assistance will be highly appreciated

ganesh268 said:
Just thought of posting my experience in Calgary for anyone who is planning to get their visas stamped in Canada. Though, I never got an replies back for the questions I had, hopefully this answers a few questions to people who intend to get their visa stamped F1 to H1B.

I got my H1-B revalidation successfully done and got my visa back the same day. There were no hiccups through the process, but I wouldn't call it very straight forward either.

I reached the US consulate at 8 am for my 9 am appointment. The security check took a long time to get through, He didnt let us in until 8.30 am for a 9.00am appointment. We were not allowed to take any bags, electronic equipment or beverges or food there. So I had to carry all my paper work in folders. After the security check, we were taken to a room, the place wasnt very crowded (about 20 people but the strength went up with time) but there was only one officer conducting the interview so it took a little while. I was called at the counter twice, once to submit my paperwork, pay the fees ($100 cash) and the second time for an actual interview.

I was asked to show my expired I-20s, EAD (opt) card that was issued after graduation and I-797 to verify that I wasn't out of status anytime. The questions asked were, what was my purpose of visit to Calgary, when and where I got my Masters degree from and when do I intend to fly back to Houston ("if I did"). The only problem I ran into was my last name since, my passport does not have anything written on my last name (am a south indian so didnt have a last name in india but my middle name became my last name when my F1 visa was issued and has stayed tht way ever since), the officer said she couldn't understand about it and thats not the way it happens in US. She said it is always recommended to go back to one's own home country to get their visas stamped. That probably was the only moment my heart skipped a beat, but fortunately it went through. I was asked to collect my passport (still does not guarantee the visa issuance) at 3 pm after paying the reciprocity fee ($50 cash) and I got out at around 10.00 am. I was still a little nervous when I picked up the visa at 3 pm. Well, I got a multiple entry visa valid for 3 yrs. There were a couple of other guys with similar cases, one of them was asked to come after a week due some security clearance issue, rest were approved.

Any questions, I will be happy to answer to the best of my ability.

Regards,
Ganesh S

Applying for a 7th year extension while visa still valid

Hello!

Need some guidance on how to proceed with getting my H1B revalidated while my H1B is still valid.

I plan to go to Canada to apply for a 7th year extension for my visa. The reason I want to go there before my visa expires is so that I can enter the US on my old visa that is still valid in case they need to run a background check.

I have heard that people can go to a consulate and if the consulate needs to run a background check, the applicant can come back to the US (if the visa is still valid) until the consulate contacts the applicant to let him know that it's okay for him to come back and apply for the visa.

Is this true?

My visa is valid till Oct. 1st 2006. I plan to go to Canada at the end of August.

Citizanship: Pakistan
Years in the US: 12+ (F-1 and H-1 NEVER out of status, visa always stamped)
Visa: Valid H1B (6th year with same employer) Visa expires Oct. 1st, 2006
Education: BS and MBA from the US

Could anyone guide me?

Thanks!

re-entry will not be allowed unless the visa is granted;
in any event, it is only possible to visit us consulates in canada no more than 10 days before the start date on your new I797A.
data67 said:
Hello!

Need some guidance on how to proceed with getting my H1B revalidated while my H1B is still valid.

I plan to go to Canada to apply for a 7th year extension for my visa. The reason I want to go there before my visa expires is so that I can enter the US on my old visa that is still valid in case they need to run a background check.

I have heard that people can go to a consulate and if the consulate needs to run a background check, the applicant can come back to the US (if the visa is still valid) until the consulate contacts the applicant to let him know that it's okay for him to come back and apply for the visa.

Is this true?

My visa is valid till Oct. 1st 2006. I plan to go to Canada at the end of August.

Citizanship: Pakistan
Years in the US: 12+ (F-1 and H-1 NEVER out of status, visa always stamped)
Visa: Valid H1B (6th year with same employer) Visa expires Oct. 1st, 2006
Education: BS and MBA from the US

Could anyone guide me?

Thanks!

H1&H4 stamping in Ottawa 7th year extension; Need help

Hi folks, I have an appointment on Aug/08 Ottawa for my H1 and my wife's H4 stamping. We are canadian PR card holder.

My situation is little complex and if somebody can please help.

I have joined company "B" with my 7th year H1-B extension based on a labor (older than 365 days) filed by my old employer "A". Iam working for Company "B" since Jan/2006. Filed a I-140 labor substituted case with Company "B".

My Visa stamped is expired on my passport. I have I-797 approved from the current employer "B".

What are the things that i need to take care before i leave this country for our H1B and H4 stampings ?

any additional documents (e.g any letter from previous employer "A" ???)

Please advise.

Thanks a ton.

Applying for a 7th year extension while visa still valid

tusharvk said:
re-entry will not be allowed unless the visa is granted;
in any event, it is only possible to visit us consulates in canada no more than 10 days before the start date on your new I797A.

Thanks for your advice Tushark. I was wondering if it would be at all possible to ask the embassy / consulate to inform me that they will need to run a background check BEFORE they cancel my current visa?

I have a friend who went to Canada and applied for a H1B and they told him to go back to the US until they ran a background check. The consulate contacted him after 3 weeks to come back to Canada to get his visa stamped as his bacground check cleared within 3 weeks. This happened in September of 2005.

Is this not the case?

Please advise.....As I need to make a decision soon.

Thanks!

Need help for Ottawa canada consulate...

Hi Gurus,

I am going to ottawa canada consulate for stamping on 16th of Aug. I am going for 8th year extension for 3 years, because of my 140 approved. I am taking the following documents. Please help me if any thing I am missing.

For H1 and H4:

1) Letter for employer and copy of all correspondence sent to USCIS to acquire the visa, including form ETA-9035, certified LCA-9035.
2) My all study certificates and evaluation certificate.
3) All my experience letters.
4) Bank letters.
5) All my w-2's.
6) All original H1 and H4 Pappers (I-797 approval notice).
7) two years pay stubs.
8) Original and old Passports for both.
9) Appropriate Fees for both.
10) Last year tax filing.
11) Utility( electricity and telephone) bills for last 3 months.
12) Original Marriage certificate.
13) Marriage photo album.
14) Appointment letter.
15) My ticket itinerary.
16) Taking CASH for fees $100 + $100 + 50 + 50 (service fee).

A) Do I need to take any other documents for my GC application?
B) Do I need to take I140 approval papper because of 3 years (I140 approved)?
C) Which hotel is the best to stay in ottawa (normal price)
D) How long will it take to get the approved VISA? (Is it on next day or taking more than two days)
E)

Please help me, If I am missing any other documents? any thing?

Thanks, :)
Chinni.

Its been a while that i visited this forum, i am also about to enter into my 7th year of H1. I was in canada last year to get my passport stamped, i was stuck there for over 2 months to get the clearance. Yesterday i heard from someone that consulate people are asking to send them papers , so that they can run the background check before hand. If thas the case then it would be awesome, people wont have to stuck there for months before they can get the clearance...Can anyone verify this...

data67 said:
Thanks for your advice Tushark. I was wondering if it would be at all possible to ask the embassy / consulate to inform me that they will need to run a background check BEFORE they cancel my current visa?

I have a friend who went to Canada and applied for a H1B and they told him to go back to the US until they ran a background check. The consulate contacted him after 3 weeks to come back to Canada to get his visa stamped as his bacground check cleared within 3 weeks. This happened in September of 2005.

Is this not the case?

Please advise.....As I need to make a decision soon.

Thanks!

L1 Visa to H1 Visa

Hi
As I hold L1 visa with me iam planning to go for stamping to canada for H1 which was applied by another employer.But the situation is like this when i was in India last year, My H1 visa was Rejected. If Iam going to attend in Canada what could be the chance of getting stamped.

Backgroud Checks BEFORE going for the visa

fbhatti said:
Its been a while that i visited this forum, i am also about to enter into my 7th year of H1. I was in canada last year to get my passport stamped, i was stuck there for over 2 months to get the clearance. Yesterday i heard from someone that consulate people are asking to send them papers , so that they can run the background check before hand. If thas the case then it would be awesome, people wont have to stuck there for months before they can get the clearance...Can anyone verify this...

Hello fbhatti! Please let us know what you find out regarding this matter.

I am thinking about calling the consulate to get clarification if I don't find out anything on this forum.

Could anyone please advise.

Thanks!

stamping in canada or in India

Hello All,
I am on F1 visa (MS in US) and my H1b is under process.

My question is where should I go for stamping to Canada or do it India during my trip.

Vancuver is very close to my place. How long does the stamping process takes.

Thanks a lot.

H1B Stamping in Toronto..URGENT!!! Please Reply ASAP!!!

Hi,

I came to US on year 2000 with F1 visa. Then got my OPT in 2002 and got my first H1B stamping on Sep 2003 at Toronto Consulate. My H1B visa expires on Aug 31,2006. But I have got an appointment in Toronto on July 13th 2006, for getting my 2nd H1B stamping. Is that ok or would they ask me to come back to the consulate after my visa expires?

Please reply me as soon as possible, because I am planning to leave to Toronto tomorrow (July 12th).

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks,
Priya

check amcits.com
it clearly says that you can go only 10 days prior to the the start date on your new I797A or after the start date.
Priya_Suri said:
Hi,

I came to US on year 2000 with F1 visa. Then got my OPT in 2002 and got my first H1B stamping on Sep 2003 at Toronto Consulate. My H1B visa expires on Aug 31,2006. But I have got an appointment in Toronto on July 13th 2006, for getting my 2nd H1B stamping. Is that ok or would they ask me to come back to the consulate after my visa expires?

Please reply me as soon as possible, because I am planning to leave to Toronto tomorrow (July 12th).

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks,
Priya

My I-797A is valid from 05/03/2006 itself. I was worrying about my H1B stamping in my passport, which I got through my old company is valid till Aug 31,2006. That is my concern.

Thanks,
Priya

My I-797A is valid from 05/03/2006 till 04/10/2009. Do you think I am good to go?

http://amcits.com/visas.asp mentions
"I-797 (either I-797A or I-797B - I-797C is not acceptable) Must be original and full page. Appointment should be made ten days prior to the validity date on the I-797 or after the validity date has passed. "

Please let me know ASAP!!

Thanks,
Priya

call up nvars.com folks to be sure.
Priya_Suri said:
My I-797A is valid from 05/03/2006 till 04/10/2009. Do you think I am good to go?

"I-797 (either I-797A or I-797B - I-797C is not acceptable) Must be original and full page. Appointment should be made ten days prior to the validity date on the I-797 or after the validity date has passed. "

Thanks,
Priya

Ok To Go

Priya_Suri said:

Thanks,
Priya

You should be fine. I am in the exact same scenario as you are in. My new I-797A valid from 7/2005 to 7/2008. My current H1B visa is valid till 2/2007. I am scheduled to go to Ottawa on Aug 2nd. So my H1B Visa is still valid, but since my I-797A start date has already passed I am (and so are you) eligible to go for visa revalidation. Please revisit forum to post your experience in Toronto.

Thanks for all the reply!! I called nvars a couple of times, but it keeps saying "call back later". I am going to try a few times tomorrow.

Thanks,
Priya

H1 &H4 renewal atamping in Ottawa canada

My husband and myself we are planning to visit canada in sept for H1 renewal for my husband and H4 for me.Our current visas are getting expired in oct.I have several doubts.
1)Incase if our visas are denied will we be able to get back to U.S
2)I am expecting very soon ,will they deny visa bcos of this reason
3)Is it better to get stamping in India later after my delivery.
4)Will my status be illegal after my H4 expires.
please help me with the following questions.Only then i will be able to decide whether to go to India or Canada.