H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

No unusual or special registration processes took place Stoned. Entries and Exits were all smooth and painfree.

StonedAnt said:
Hello coolmaro,

Congrats on your successful and painfree stamping. I hope you are still reading this thread as I had just one quick question.

Since you mentioned that you come from a Muslim country and did not get any messages prior to stamping regarding extensive administrative processing (like I did... :( ), I just wanted to know if you had to go through the Special Registration process when exiting and re-entering the US.

Thank you for sharing your experience, helps us nervewrecks a lot.

Stoned!

Baggage allowed

Hi:
My wife has interview for H-1B stamping in Toronto. The documents that she will be taking will be quite a bit. PLease let me know what kind of baggage they allow to take in.
Thanks

Hello All, not getting any response on my other post so I'll try here. I have an appointment for a visa interview in Toronto next Tuesday. However, while interviewing for the Canadian visa today the officer brought up a scary thought. My first H1 was filed in 2004. I graduated in May 2003, and had an OPT that was valid through 07/30/04. Through sheer incompetence of my previous employer and lawyer, they completely bungled the processing. My h1 got approved, but shows a Receipt date of 09/30/04. If I'm correct the Opt has a 60 day grace period after expiry. Adding 60 days to July 30th (Or is it 31st, since the opt was
valid till the 30th), gives us September 28th(?)/29th. I'm in a bind now,and I'm unsure what to do. I do not want to chance being denied re-entry. I have changed companies and have a different H1 approval and new I94 as well, but havent left the country since graduation

Please share your thoughts on this. I have my canadian visa and am supposed to drive there over this weekend. Am I taking too big a chance?

H-1B Stamping Toronto Sucess MAY 02 2006!!!!

I just got my H-1B stamping in toronto canada MAY 02 2006.

Directions: I-94 East to Port huron, Then 402 East, Then to 401 East to toronto....

when you enter to Canada:port Huron

1. Appointment letter.
2. Passport with canada visa.
3. I-797 original form

The canadian officer will ask the above three documents and stamp your passport for entry to canada.

Toronto USA Consulate:

1. Appointment letter. (They will let you inside at 8.30AM regardless of the appointment time. Go early to come out early)

2. Scotia Bank forms (Three copies stamped) $ 100 fee (There is a scotia bank less than half mile from the consulate on University avenue)

3. DS-156 form with photo

4. DS -157 form (required for male and female for sure)

5. I-797 original

6. Employment verifcation letter

7. Pay stubs latest - Three

8. Fifty dollars cash or credit cards (Master or VISA)

These are the important documents required. It took me about 4 hrs
to come out of the consulate.

You will asked to come back next day and they will hand you the passport at 2.45 PM.

Please feel free to call me if you have any further questions.

Call after 6PM and before 9.30PM : 616 994 0165

Good Luck!

Appointment at Halifax

I have an appointment coming up at Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Wanted to see if anyone on this forum has any information to share their experience at Halifax.

I see that there are very few people who report on this forum who went to Halifax. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Getting appointment online!

I've tried all the tricks so far.....checking every hour etc but i'm unable to get an appointment in toronto or any other counsulate for that matter on nvars! Is it really that booked?

well, I think the question pertains to the bag allowed inside the consulate.

you can take a big plastic bag to contain all the documents.
DSLstart said:
No baggage size limitation. I went to Ottawa for stamping and I carried the biggest suitcase (usual international travel). Ottawa custom/immigration didn't bother abt that.

Successful visa stamping in Halifax!

Hello nervewreck -
I am happy to be able to reply to your post :) coz I just got back earlier today from Halifax, with a successful and fun trip - got my H1-B visa stamp :)

First of all I want to tell you - please RELAX - coz it was sooo easy and so cool - that there should be no worries. I was anxious when I went as I had not read any posts in this forum on Halifax experiences and I almost thought that not many people are going there...

Which aspect of the experience are you most interested in knowing about? Let me know so I can help accordingly - which visa are you going for? I can tell you what paperwork I took, the process and what they asked etc.

I can also tell you where to stay if you want to avoid travel hassel while going back and forth to the consulate..
Its a beautiful city too :)

Ok, reply and let me know specific questions you have..

Goodluck!

nervewreck said:
I have an appointment coming up at Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Wanted to see if anyone on this forum has any information to share their experience at Halifax.

I see that there are very few people who report on this forum who went to Halifax. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Success in Halifax

Hello,
I just got back from Halifax with the H-1 extension visa stamp - it was very smooth and quick. Besides the usual stuff, only additional document required was Resume. Since I did not have an updated version with me, I used the one from my H-1B application packet - it was 4-5 months old, but something is better than nothing! I stayed at the Mariott Harbourfront Hotel - this is connected to the Purdy's Wharf Tower II building by an overhead pedestrian bridge (temp controlled) - and hence is very very convenient - less than 10 mins by foot - no need to go out on the street even.

Overall a very good experience.

If anyone has any specific questions, please do let me know.
Thanks- Snoopie

Snoopie said:
Hello,
Has anyone been to Halifax, Canada for visa stamping? Can you share your experience?
Thanks..

you are right, i'll have to camp by my computer all night to stand any chance of getting an appointment! No luck yet with getting any at Toronto consulate!

H1 visa appt in ottawa on May 31st

Hello everyone,
My situation is a little complicated. I came to US in 1999 on student visa (which expired in june 2002)to UMC. Then i transferred to another university in 2001 to get my masters in CS. I finally graduated in may 2005. I applied for OPT which was valid from dec 2004 to dec 2005. I found a job in the mean time in a small company and they applied for H1B which was approved till august 2008. Then i switched to company B which is a start-up and they applied for a transfer and again H1 got approved and the validity is till nov 2008.
I have always been in status and have all W2s and paystubs from both companies but not from universities where i worked as graduate assistant.
I have an appt in ottawa on 31st of May.
I read both horror and happy stories but i'm just curious to know if i will be facing any major hurdles and also if i need to take any additional docs than already listed.....like W2s, paystubs, last 3 years tax returns, transcript, degree certificates etc etc.
Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Ottawa - Travel Question - Closest Cheap US Airport

Hi, I have an appointment at the consulate at Ottawa, what is the best way
to get there. Flights in Ottawa are very costly. which would be the closest
US city where I can get cheap tickets, and then drive over. I would any way need a rental car there, I was thinking of taking one in the US and then just drive. Which way I can also find an economical hotel on the outside of the city.

Please guide on Car Insurance in Canada

Hi Friends,

I am going for stamping at Vancouver, Canada. I will be flying to Seattle, and from there by car. I need info on rental car insurance in Canada. I have alreadybooked with Alamo. Can I take the insurance with Alamo itself, or do I have to take it in Canada only.

Please help me with your experiences in this regard.

Thanks and Regards

H1B & H4 expereince in Toronto Canada

I am from Pakistan and was subjected to Security clearance in 2003 but after 15 days of wait get H1B stamp from Toronto. Reading all of these horor stories I sent my family one day before I was apearing for my h1 and they get their H4 with out any problem yesterday.
I apeared today and was asked that I should have applied for H1 in Pakistan as all pakistani's are subject to security clearance. VO didnt asked any questions other then remarks that I am in us for long time (this was my 7th yr extension) he only asked one question which was "Is your immigration petetion pending"? I said no it is already approved. He was in process of refusing my visa and want to give me 221g for applying in Pakistan but I acted before he made final decision that I am landed immigrant and was gone through this in 2003 also. Then he checked on my DS157 and after verification of comments from 1st VO who check your papers and see that there is "L" meaning landed immigrant, VO said to me that he didnt checked that I am landed immigrant so he has given me green letter with 221g that I will be notified in 7 to 10 days via email about my security clearance and I can re-apear on receipt of email along with all documents.
He didnt stamp my passport with application receipt but kept my origional I-797. My family left for US and I will wait and update you guys after receiving email and visa interview.

Wish you all good luck

Appointment in Montreal on Jun 20th

Hi,

I have appointment for H1 B on Jun 20th in Montreal.

Can anyone please share your experience in Montreal...

Please let me know if there is any good way to go to Montreal from New York, I mean with less price....

Thanks in advance...

Hi All,

I have an appointment at the US consulate in Quebec. I read somewhere in the forum that the consulate in Quebec does not do H1 stamping for applicants residing is US. Is this true? Can anyone who has been there recently confirm this?

Thanks much!

Visa Revalidation Question?

Hi Gurus,

I have visa till July 13th, 2006 and recently got my 7th year extension approved. Can I go for visa restamping to Mexico in June or Do I need to wait until my current visa expire?

Thanks in advance.