H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

Reentry to US with valid visa, if Visa is denied in Canada

I am on H1 visa and My US visa is valid until July2006 and I am planning to go to Canada for 7th year Stamping in May2006.My question to you guys is
"If for some reason my visa is denied in canada, would I be able to Reenter US with my old valid visa that is valid until July2006.I am very much confused about this..I would greatly appreciate your help if anyone replies in this matter..

No you can't

mightyc said:
I am on H1 visa and My US visa is valid until July2006 and I am planning to go to Canada for 7th year Stamping in May2006.My question to you guys is
"If for some reason my visa is denied in canada, would I be able to Reenter US with my old valid visa that is valid until July2006.I am very much confused about this..I would greatly appreciate your help if anyone replies in this matter..

This is a very common question and answer is NO - you can't enter back. Because first thing when you submit your visa application is they cancel your old/current visa. So it ceases to be a "valid visa".

In other words, if you visit Canada for revalidating visa you give up right to return to US on the current visa. On the other hand if you entered for tourism you can return to USA on current visa - and by showing the latest I-797 your I-94 will be given till the latest I-797 date.

Hope it clears thing up.

Is it possible to know how many days/weeks background check will take?

I am planning to go for H1 stamping for the first time. I heard from a friend of mine, while getting appointment over the phone the consulate guys tell that someone will need a background check of x weeks. My question is - "Is it always the case that they will tell over the phone that I will need 3 or more weeks of background check? Or is it the case that they roughly give an estimated time? Or I can only know once I go to Canada and submit all the documents?" I am assuming that I will need a background check.

Thanks for any response.

further, you may not visit canadian consulate so much in advance of your new I797 start date. Your visa interview date should be no more than 10 days before your new I797 start date.
suhasini7 said:
This is a very common question and answer is NO - you can't enter back. Because first thing when you submit your visa application is they cancel your old/current visa. So it ceases to be a "valid visa".

In other words, if you visit Canada for revalidating visa you give up right to return to US on the current visa. On the other hand if you entered for tourism you can return to USA on current visa - and by showing the latest I-797 your I-94 will be given till the latest I-797 date.

Hope it clears thing up.

Require information for 7th year stamping

Hello Everyone--

Thanks for sharing all your experiences. I gathered quite a lot of information from this thread.

My situation: I am on 7th year H1B extension . Current visa stamp expired Mar1, 2006. I have the I797 for the 7th year extension. Have previous visas on my passport from Chennai / DOS / DOS.

My husband is on H1B 6th year expiring Jun 21, 2006. Cannot apply for 7th year H1B extension as no GC process was started for him. My company has applied for his H4 (I-539) requesting a start date of Jun 22, 2006, just a few days ago. With the current processing times of 100-150 days, it is possible that we may not get the I-539 approval before Jun 21, 2006. My attorney (very big law firm) says that it is not an issue as long as the I-539 is approved. Alternately he suggested that we could both go to Canada / Mexico for stamping together - me for H1 and him for H4 -- before Jun 21,2006. That should give him the H4 status directly and we also get the visa stamped..

So we are considering going to Canada for stamping.

I found a good list of documents for H1 stamping here.

My question is :

1. Does anyone know what documents I will need for my husband who is converting from H1 to H4? Is it a problem if we go for stamping without the approved I539 ?

2. Since we live in N.California, Vancouver seems close.. We are both Indian Citizens and not Candian PR. So can we apply in any US consulate in Canada potentially? Any suggestions for consulates by approval rates?

3. Are there any travel agents or web sites that list all the required documents for the US visa revalidation for H1B? My attorney mentioned a list but I am not sure that it includes everything - for example the photos of the work place etc..

4. I looked up the Canadian consulate web site for the getting visa into Canada. Should we get a single entry or mutliple entry permits into Canada? Should I mention the reason for visit to Canada for Candian visa as "Tourist" or " US Visa revalidation"?

Any inputs will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Sharu

Last edited by a moderator:
is prem processing an option for I539? you may use this to get decision in 15 days.
if your husband leaves the US with his cos petition pending, his petition will be voided.

single entry visa is fine for visiting canada and just be honest while mentioning the reason for visit.

single entry visa allows for multiple visits until the person travels overseas.

sharu03 said:
Hello Everyone--

Thanks for sharing all your experiences. I gathered quite a lot of information from this thread.

My situation: I am on 7th year H1B extension . Current visa stamp expired Mar1, 2006. I have the I797 for the 7th year extension. Have previous visas on my passport from Chennai / DOS / DOS.

My husband is on H1B 6th year expiring Jun 21, 2006. Cannot apply for 7th year H1B extension as no GC process was started for him. My company has applied for his H4 (I-539) requesting a start date of Jun 22, 2006, just a few days ago. With the current processing times of 100-150 days, it is possible that we may not get the I-539 approval before Jun 21, 2006. My attorney (very big law firm) says that it is not an issue as long as the I-539 is approved. Alternately he suggested that we could both go to Canada / Mexico for stamping together - me for H1 and him for H4 -- before Jun 21,2006. That should give him the H4 status directly and we also get the visa stamped..

So we are considering going to Canada for stamping.

I found a good list of documents for H1 stamping here.

My question is :

1. Does anyone know what documents I will need for my husband who is converting from H1 to H4? Is it a problem if we go for stamping without the approved I539 ?

2. Since we live in N.California, Vancouver seems close.. We are both Indian Citizens and not Candian PR. So can we apply in any US consulate in Canada potentially? Any suggestions for consulates by approval rates?

3. Are there any travel agents or web sites that list all the required documents for the US visa revalidation for H1B? My attorney mentioned a list but I am not sure that it includes everything - for example the photos of the work place etc..

4. I looked up the Canadian consulate web site for the getting visa into Canada. Should we get a single entry or mutliple entry permits into Canada? Should I mention the reason for visit to Canada for Candian visa as "Tourist" or " US Visa revalidation"?

Any inputs will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Sharu

suhasini7 said:

Hope it clears thing up.

Thanks a lot for the reply..

Thanks for the response

Thank you for your response.. No, premium processing is not an option of I539..

Yes, the attroney told me that the COS petition will be voided if he leaves the country but said that it should not be a problem if we get the visa stamped in Canada. Ofcourse it is a risk and that's why I want to be really sure that we have everything right..

tusharvk said:
is prem processing an option for I539? you may use this to get decision in 15 days.
if your husband leaves the US with his cos petition pending, his petition will be voided.

single entry visa is fine for visiting canada and just be honest while mentioning the reason for visit.

single entry visa allows for multiple visits until the person travels overseas.

Quebec

Hi Friends,

I have appointment sceduled in Quebec city on April 14th for H1/H4 stamping

But wesite here in http://www.amcits.com/quebec.asp says,
"Applications for H, L, O, P, Q, and R non-immigrant visas are accepted only from individuals resident in the Québec City consular district. "

I am really confued :confused:, should I still goto Quebec?

Anybody recently done stamping here.
I am Indian and studied is in India and working here for last 6 years.

Your experience and help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Anybody got H1 Stamping in Calgary, Canada ???

Hi, Anybody has got H1 stampped at Calgary, Canada recently.
I Have a appointment in Calgary in April last week and going for 8th year H1 stamp.
Pls provide your commenst suggestion about going to Calgary.

Last edited by a moderator:
guidance needed

I came to us in 2000 on H4 and travelled to india on H4 in jan 03. i changed my status to H1 in june 03 and since then did not travel to india nor have gone for visa stamping. Now i want to go for visa stamping to either canada or mexico. what i want to know is
1/ will they check in what status i came to us.
2/ will they ask for my husbands H1 approved petion and W-2's from 2000 to 2003.
3/what are the chances of getting visa approved.

pls respond and help
thanks

carrying all your papers is the safest for anybody. you do have to answer questions (like your first question) on DS156 form.
getanswers-2 said:
I came to us in 2000 on H4 and travelled to india on H4 in jan 03. i changed my status to H1 in june 03 and since then did not travel to india nor have gone for visa stamping. Now i want to go for visa stamping to either canada or mexico. what i want to know is
1/ will they check in what status i came to us.
2/ will they ask for my husbands H1 approved petion and W-2's from 2000 to 2003.
3/what are the chances of getting visa approved.

pls respond and help
thanks

Sucessfull H1B stamping on March 27 2006 in Toronto

My Experience:

My appointment was on March 27. I went to Toronto on March 26. I drove to Canada through Niagara Falls.

Port of Entry:

Officer: Show me ur status card
me: I am on work permit.
Officer: Purpose of visit ?
me: To get H1B stamping
Officer: Where r u staying ?
me: friend's place
Officer: How long do u plan to stay ?
me: 3 days
Officer: why 3 days ?
me: appointment on Monday and get the passport next day.
Officer : OK go ahead.

The appointment was at 1:00pm. Reached downtown at around 8:00 AM. But the Scotia bank I went opened at 9:30 AM. So waited till 9:30 AM, got the receipt and reached the consulate at around 10:00 AM.

The security officer at the entrance asked for the appointment letter. Even though my appointment was at 1:00 PM he let me in.

After going through the security check I was in the line around 10:15 AM.

Around 11:00 AM, I was called to submit:

a) Passport
b) I-797
c) Scotia Receipt
d) DS-156
e) DS-157

Officer: What is ur status ?
Me: F1
Officer: Which visa did u apply for now ?
Me: H1B
Officer: When did u come to US ?
Me: XXX
Officer : When did u change ur status to H1 ?
Me : XXX

While asking me all the above details she compaerd the DS-156 details with my passport(name, number, issuance etc). Then she asked me wait in a second line for finger priting.

Around 12:00 I was called for finger printing. It took about 30 secs for that.

Again waited to be called for the interview.

At 12:45, I was called for the interview.

VO: Which company do u work for?
Me: XX
VO: So u went to XX Univ.?
Me: yes sir
VO: Whats ur major.?
Me: XXX
VO: Did u work on OPT.?
Me: yes sir

Handed over the green slip and asked me pay the $50 on the third floor.Paid the amt and returned to the same counter. Then the VO gave me a receipt and asked me collect the passport next day at 3:00 pm.

It was a easy process except for the wait. The VO did not ask for any docs.

I saw everyone getting the visa.

So guys, be confident in whatever u answer and have the docs.

Thanks,

getanswers-2 said:
The problem is i do not have w2's of my husband from 2000 to 2003. will that create a problem

If you do not have W2 you can carry his paystubs for that year. Also, you can call IRS and they will give you copies of your tax return filing which has all the information on it.
Any document that proves you and your husband has never been out of status will help.

Vancouver

Just got my H1 stamped from Vancouver.

Everything went well.

The visa officer was great. Asked me about my other embassy experiences and wanted me to compare them to Vancouver. He asked me what I did for my company and asked for my latest pay check. Nothing else. In the conversation he did mention that they did all sorts of visa's. The only ones they do not do are the ones where someoen comes on a B1 and have converted to H1.

The only things you all need to be aware of is the Black security gurd outside the building. He was the biggest SOB I have seen in my life. Just make sure you do not carry any electroics. PERIOD.

I got my passport back the next day @ 3PM.

Anybody got H1 Stamping in Calgary, Canada ??

srsin said:
Hi, Anybody has got H1 stampped at Calgary, Canada recently.
I Have a appointment in Calgary in April last week and going for 8th year H1 stamp.
Pls any comments/feedbacks.

HI! FEb04-

Congratulations- Could you please post your experience in detail?
Like, was this your first time h1 stamping, your education, nationality, is this your 7th yr extension or is this your extension with same company, and if your employer filed for your immigration and what is the status of that etc etc...

I got my first H1B stamped successfully from OTTAWA.I was changing status from H4 to H1.I was pretty much tensed and worried as i had heard that we should go to our home country to get the first H1 stamped.But It is not required if u have a canadian PR.
I was asked to do the fingerprinting first and after that i was asked how long i have been in US,what status,Why so long on H4 before moving to H1,etc
Then i was asked if i have any recent letter from my company and if i was already working.Since i was working I showed the client letter and my company letter and then i was asked to describe my current project.
Once that was done the officer asked me to go and pay $ 50 and collect my passport the next day at 3pm.
I returned the next day to US and at the port of entry i was asked to do the finger priting again and asked what i do and to talk abt my project by the officer there.Then i was given a new I-94 which was stapled to my passport and I came back to US.So, friends if any of you are plannign to go to OTTAWA for visa stamping just make sure you take all the docs and be calm and pleasing during ur interview and everythign will go well..If any further questions dont hesitate to email me.

Hi! Jean_s-

Congratulations- Could you please post your experience in detail?
Like, was this your first time h1 stamping, your education, nationality, is this your 7th yr extension or is this your extension with same company, and if your employer filed for your immigration and what is the status of that etc etc...