H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

garp said:
Congrats and thanks for posting. I just cannot fathom why it is not as straightforward for other folks who have a degree from India and similar work experience.

There is a desi proverb: Only one fish can make the pond dirty. To top it, some VO presume applicants guilty unless proven otherwise. ;-(

vkv

If degrees are from India, take credential evaluations along.
VOs will not reject applicant just on this ground alone.
VOs take abt 2-3 minutes time to plug in the name in the system and get all the clearances; during this time, they will ask questions of the applicant. It is for the applicant to confidently answer all the queries.
vkv3056 said:
There is a desi proverb: Only one fish can make the pond dirty. To top it, some VO presume applicants guilty unless proven otherwise. ;-(

vkv

any TAL security check or ANY one stuck at LAREDO ?

Hi all,

Did any one attended VISA renewal (H1 and H4) at Laredo recently? and Did any body has info about TAL security check at this place?

I need the information very badly as I have appointment on 6th April 06.

I need to travel with a small kid and an infant of 2 months.................

I am about to go to Laredo Mexico on 6 april,06 with my wife and daughter for our visa renewal (they are on H4)

I have a Ph.D in chemistry and got H1 visa in 2002 May at Chennai. I was in an environmental lab as chemist and in 2004 july I got my H1 (and H4 s) transfered to a bio analytical company, as a sr chemist.

My family has travel plan in april last week and I preferred to take them to mexico rather than Chennai for stamping ( So that I also can get a stamping).
(I have a 3 months infant who is a citizen of US)

Now if we apply for VISA, with all the supporting documents, My CV and appropriate letter from employer that my work has got nothing to do with defence or whatever in TAL ...

1) I still may be subjected to the security check?
and if yes, Will I have to be in mexico for all the duration of process .. may be somemonths? I cannot stay away fromwork for more tahn a couple of days.

2) if yes, I can wait for the approval, and my family can travel to india and get stamping basing on the clearance we get here in mexico?

3) If NO, can they again take another appointment in India?

I m all set and prepared to go to mexico, and just saw some TAL related posts. In a way, i m totally confused to take any step...

ANY ADVICE Will help me greatly in tallying the situation and act accordingly

Thanks

tx11

vancouver rejection

All,

I am deeply stressed out as I got a rejection in Vancouver consulate. This was my 3rd H1 stamping based on 7th year extension. I work for big consulting firm (IBM consulting). There was this guy VO. THis is how the interview went :

me: Hi, how are you doing
VO: Good
VO: so you are on H1, please provide orig H1,LCA, I-129.
Me: Here you are sir
VO: Where did you study
Me: I studied in University Of Mumbai in Computer Engineering.
VO: Please give me your original certificate and all original transcripts
Me: I gave all evaluated credentials and degree certificate.
VO: Is your company a consulting firm.
Me: My company not only does consulting but have lot of in-house projects going on.
Vo: Just answer my question, Is your company a consulting company which provides IT consulting services
Me: Yes
Vo; Please provide me on company letterhead , companys active projects, client contact, client letter, client contract, number of persons assigned to the projects official on a letter,
Vo: Also provide bank statements of last 8 months showing the salary being deposited to your account, photos of inside and outside of most recent employer and contact information of all managers at client places in the past, all paystubs from the past.
Me: But sir I dont have so much information that you ask. I have current client letter, photos but I dont have rest of the stuff.
VO: Well then, why did you come for Visa without preparing the required documentation
Me: Well...
VO: Because we dont have sufficient documents and doing all those checks will take long time, I am going to have to ask you to apply in Indian consulate.
VO: Thank you , here is your 221(g) letter and good luck with your Visa process in India.

Me: Sir, I will produce all the documents please give me some time.
VO: Even if you would have been able to , chances are we would not have been able to evaluate your credentials. So have good day.
Me: But sir...I am a canadian PR. Why do I need to apply in India.
VO: Does not matter. India is also your home country until you get citizenship.So if we cannot evaluate you here that is your only other option.

I am a canadian PR. How can the VO tell me to apply in India. I am confused. What to do now?

Please..please...please..HELP.

Sorry to hear about your case. I think you got stuck with wrong VO. Some of them are just bad. I don't think there is anything you can do about it, it does not matter if you have Canadian PR.
I think you should go to India and ask your company to send all the documents. waiting time is long in India, Good luck with your next steps.

shilKel said:
All,

I am deeply stressed out as I got a rejection in Vancouver consulate. This was my 3rd H1 stamping based on 7th year extension. I work for big consulting firm (IBM consulting). There was this guy VO. THis is how the interview went :

me: Hi, how are you doing
VO: Good
VO: so you are on H1, please provide orig H1,LCA, I-129.
Me: Here you are sir
VO: Where did you study
Me: I studied in University Of Mumbai in Computer Engineering.
VO: Please give me your original certificate and all original transcripts
Me: I gave all evaluated credentials and degree certificate.
VO: Is your company a consulting firm.
Me: My company not only does consulting but have lot of in-house projects going on.
Vo: Just answer my question, Is your company a consulting company which provides IT consulting services
Vo; Please provide me on company letterhead , companys active projects, client contact, client letter, client contract, number of persons assigned to the projects official on a letter,
Vo: Also provide bank statements of last 8 months showing the salary being deposited to your account, photos of inside and outside of most recent employer and contact information of all managers at client places in the past, all paystubs from the past.
Me: But sir I dont have so much information that you ask. I have current client letter, photos but I dont have rest of the stuff.
VO: Well then, why did you come for Visa without preparing the required documentation
Me: Well...
VO: Because we dont have sufficient documents and doing all those checks will take long time, I am going to have to ask you to apply in Indian consulate.
VO: Thank you , here is your 221(g) letter and good luck with your Visa process in India.

Me: Sir, I will produce all the documents please give me some time.
VO: Even if you would have been able to , chances are we would not have been able to evaluate your credentials. So have good day.
Me: But sir...I am a canadian PR. Why do I need to apply in India.
VO: Does not matter. India is also your home country until you get citizenship.So if we cannot evaluate you here that is your only other option.

I am a canadian PR. How can the VO tell me to apply in India. I am confused. What to do now?

Please..please...please..HELP.

Hi! shilKel- Sorry about your situation. Did you went along with your family or you are single and went alone?
Also what is the status of your immigration petition...Labor, I-140, I-485?
Have you given doc's to VO for the immigration related approvals/reciepts etc?

H-1B visa renewal in Nogales on the 24th of April

I have a question regarding my H-1B visa stamp in Nogales. This is actually my second three years renewal. The first visa I got in Canada but due to the fact that there is no appointment dates available in Canada I decided to go in Mexico this time.

My question is could it be a problem that I have earned my MS degree in my home country but not in US or Canada? I have my MS evaluated from an agency and that's how I gor my visa stamp in Canada the first time. Do you think my degree might be a problem at the time I go to Nogales for a stamp? I am still with the same Employer like the first three years. My current visa expired but I am in status with my second 3 years.

Can anyone share experience with me on how the whole process goes in Nogales and whether it's better to go to Canada vs Mexico specificaly for an H-1B visa stamping?

If anyone is going there the same date like me 24th of April I would be happy to join. My e-mail is pgatanasov at hotmail.com

Appreciate your answers on the question above.

Successful 8th year Extension H1 & H4 Stamping @Toronto

:D Successful 8th year Extension H1 & H4 Stamping @Toronto

My time now to payback by posting my stamping experience at Toronto Consulate on March 20, 2006.

I drove with my wife and two children on March 18 from Chicago to Toronto.
At the Canadian Border crossing:

I was asked to park my car outside and leave my wife and children inside the car and go into the Immigration building alone.

Canadian Immigration Officer (CIO): What is the purpose of your visit to Canada?
Me: Told her the reason
CIO: Can I take a look at the Appointment Letter? Your passports? And your H1 status notice? Sorry I am asking you so many things at the sametime.
Me: Not a problem Ma’m you are only doing your job and gave her what all she asked
CIO: Where will you be staying?
Me: Friend’s Place
CIO: Have you been to Canada Before
Me: Yes, in 2001
CIO: Can you please bring your wife and children in? I really need to see them too.
Me: Did so
CIO: OK, everything is perfect and in order. Has anyone explained to you how the Canadian “Single-Entry” visa works?
Me: I have read about it online, but I shall be glad to hear about it from you
CIO: You can visit Canada from USA as many times as you want during the validity period of your Canadian visa i.e. 6 months minus 1 day. But if you travel to a 3rd country, your visa becomes invalid.
Me: OK, great, thanks Ma’m, have a nice day

At the US Consulate in Toronto on March 20th:

I had a 11:30 am appointment but I reached the consulate at about 11:10 am. The security guard was rude and inconsiderate and did not let me in despite seeing my two little babies and me with my wife and asked us to check back in about 20-30 mins. It was very cold and as a result my daughter caught cold. We were finally let in at 11:30 am. I had completely forgotten about the process in the mix of taking our photos as I did not have the photos with me. I was just standing in the waiting area to be called, without having submitted the documents first, and as a result ended up waiting for about an hour more.
At about 1:45 pm, I submitted the documents. At the documents submission window, there was a lady who asked me following questions:

Me: Hello M’am how are you doing today?
Officer: I am doing fine, thank you!
Officer: When did you first come to the USA?
Me: told her the date
Officer: Can you also submit your I-797 and your wife’s I-539?
Me: did so
Officer: How long have you been working for your current employer?
Me: 4 years and 8 months
Officer: So, your employer has already filed an Immigrant Petition on your behalf?
Officer: Do you have any proof for that?
Me: Yes, and I gave her the screenshot of the Dallas Backlog Center which I had fortunately carried with me.
Officer: Looking at my DS 157 form, what were you doing in the USA prior to starting to work for your current employer?
Me: I was employed with company xxx from so and so date until June 25, 2001.
Officer: Please write down your name in native language on the DS 157 Form.
Me: Wrote my name in Hindi
Officer: After entering USA for the first time, which other countries have you visited?
Me: India in so and so years and Canada in the year 2001.
Officer: OK, please be seated and you will be called for finger printing in a few mins
Me: Thank you Ma’m and you have a nice day.
Officer: You too.

Me and my wife were called for finger printing about 2:15 pm. The officer at the finger printing window did not ask any questions and just took our finger prints

At 2:20 pm my name was called at window # 4. The Consular Officer (CO) was a gentleman in his mid 40s probably and was very soft spoken and had been issuing visas while I was just watching other interviews while waiting for my turn.

Me: Hello Sir, how are you doing?
CO: Fine, thank you!
CO: So, Mr.x you are a Physician MD?
Me: No Sir I am a Software Engineer for company xxx
CO: Oh, sorry! Not sure why I mixed up your name with another applicant who’s a Physician
Me: No problem sir
CO: So your employer has filed an Immigrant petition for you?
Me: Yes (he did not ask for proof)
CO: Can I see your employer letter?
Me: Handed it over to him
CO: Indian charges a fee for American Citizens and so you need to pay $50 each towards reciprocity fee for yourself and your wife, please pay the fees on the 3rd floor and come back to me with the receipt
Me: Paid the fees and went back to the CO
CO: Your passports will be available for Pick up between 3 pm and 4 pm tomorrow.
Me: OK, thank you Sir and have a nice day
CO: You too

That’s all folks, after all, it was a cake walk for me.

At the US border post while re-entering the USA:
Officer: What do you do in US
Me: Working for company xxx as Software Engineer
Officer: How long did you stay in Canada?
Me: 4 days
Officer: How often do you cross the border?
Me: Very rarely, this is the second time in the last 5 years
Officer: We have implemented new process for admitting non-immigrant visa holders, but our system is down currently, so I can’t take your pics and finger prints, you are all set now, and you don’t need fresh I-94s as your approval notices already have them. Please keep them stapled to your passports.
Me: Left with surprise and I am now in the process of checking with my lawyer if our departure and re-entry were recorded appropriate since the US Consulate in Toronto took my old I-94 but did not take my wife’s.

That’s about it. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Questions re: H1Visa stamping for Pakistani in Canada

Hi all --

First, let me say what a great resource this is. I've had a few questions and this is one of the only great places I've seen that has this much anecdotal information.

That said, I've been doing research for my husband, who is trying to determine whether he should try Canada for his H1 stamping or go ahead and go back to Pakistan and try it there (he is planning on a visit to Pakistan anyway this summer, but we've heard anecdotally that it may be easier to get the stamp in Canada and he can't be in Pakistan for the period of time it is typically taking to get the stamp done there anyway). There are a lot of postings on this topic, but since Pakistanis are a different case than most, here are some questions I hope someone with experience can help us with:

1) We are aware of the security clearance he will have to go through, however, the question is whether or not they will give him is passport back as he waits? If so, can he go to Pakistan and come back after said time if he has the multiple entry visa? Also, do they give you a new appointment date at that time to come back pending security clearance, or do you just come back after the vague three to four weeks? If the answer is vague, do you think it advisable for him to take his trip to Pakistan for the two months he is planning on, then coming back to Canada to follow up on his status?

2) He is in possession of Advanced Parole but would like to maintain his H1 status as long as possible given the AOS application is still pending. If, in a worst case scenario, he is rejected in Canada or his security check takes a very long time, can he use the AP to come back into the US? I'm assuming this is a yes, but thought I'd put this out there to check.

3) Any Pakistanis out there who had a successful revalidation? Also, can you let me know which city you went to?

Thanks,
waitingforme

Wait times for Pakistan Nationals

Hi! I am from Pakistan and had experience in visa re-validation from Toronto, Answers to your questions are in caps below:

1) We are aware of the security clearance he will have to go through, however, the question is whether or not they will give him is passport back as he waits? "YES"
If so, can he go to Pakistan and come back after said time if he has the multiple entry visa? "YES".
Also, do they give you a new appointment date at that time to come back pending security clearance, or do you just come back after the vague three to four weeks? THEY WILL GIVE A LETTER AND NUMBER TO CALL TO CHECK THE APPLICATION STATUS AND CAN RE_VISIT CONSULATE SHOWING THAT LETTER.

If the answer is vague, do you think it advisable for him to take his trip to Pakistan for the two months he is planning on, then coming back to Canada to follow up on his status? "YES, MYSELF WENT TO PAKISTAN AND CAME BACK AFTER 8 WEEKS"

2) He is in possession of Advanced Parole but would like to maintain his H1 status as long as possible given the AOS application is still pending. If, in a worst case scenario, he is rejected in Canada or his security check takes a very long time, can he use the AP to come back into the US? "YES"
I'm assuming this is a yes, but thought I'd put this out there to check.

3) Any Pakistanis out there who had a successful revalidation? Also, can you let me know which city you went to? "TORONTO"
I AM PLANNING TO GO AGAIN FOR RE-STAMPING IN MAY AND ALSO PLANNED MY TRIP TO PAKISTAN.
If you have any questions send me an email at nisar61ali@yahoo.com

Thanks, Sali, for the quick reply. Great news on all fronts -- we were considering whether it would be worth the hassle, but looks like it is.

I guess the only hurdle now is to actually get an appointment. We're a bit behind with all the lead time for preparation -- when did you make your appointment for Toronto, btw? Currently the site is showing that nothing is available -- any tips for us?

Also, can you let us know when you had your Toronto experience? Was it fairly recent?

He can use AP without any problem also. No hassels of going to Canada or home country. If there is a need later on to get the visa stamped (when there is ample time) then also he can get his visa stamped because he will have H1 status (as you also said).

waitingforme said:
Hi all --

First, let me say what a great resource this is. I've had a few questions and this is one of the only great places I've seen that has this much anecdotal information.

That said, I've been doing research for my husband, who is trying to determine whether he should try Canada for his H1 stamping or go ahead and go back to Pakistan and try it there (he is planning on a visit to Pakistan anyway this summer, but we've heard anecdotally that it may be easier to get the stamp in Canada and he can't be in Pakistan for the period of time it is typically taking to get the stamp done there anyway). There are a lot of postings on this topic, but since Pakistanis are a different case than most, here are some questions I hope someone with experience can help us with:

1) We are aware of the security clearance he will have to go through, however, the question is whether or not they will give him is passport back as he waits? If so, can he go to Pakistan and come back after said time if he has the multiple entry visa? Also, do they give you a new appointment date at that time to come back pending security clearance, or do you just come back after the vague three to four weeks? If the answer is vague, do you think it advisable for him to take his trip to Pakistan for the two months he is planning on, then coming back to Canada to follow up on his status?

2) He is in possession of Advanced Parole but would like to maintain his H1 status as long as possible given the AOS application is still pending. If, in a worst case scenario, he is rejected in Canada or his security check takes a very long time, can he use the AP to come back into the US? I'm assuming this is a yes, but thought I'd put this out there to check.

3) Any Pakistanis out there who had a successful revalidation? Also, can you let me know which city you went to?

Thanks,
waitingforme

I had my last experience 2 yrs ago. You have to look for appointments at early morning hours. You can get earliest appointment in following order

Calgary
Halifax
Ottawa
Vancuvar
Toronto

You can see the wait times when you go to the appointment sceens. You should get reference #. Use the same reference number and Passport # every morning for your appointment.

H1B - First stamping in Canada - Help

I am planning to go to Canada in Jul'06 for stamping..
Here is my current situation..

Electronics Engineer (Bachelor degree from India)
Degree evaluation done in US
Got H1B approval in India (Validity: May'02 to 15-May'05)
Took H1B visa from US consulate - Mumbai
Landed in US in Apr'03 and started working for my employer
Current employer is a small comapny with a staff of 50 people
Started my MBA in Aug'04, while I was working
Got my second extension in Apr'05 (15-May-05 to 15-May-08)
Went to UK, France, Switzerland on Study trip (1-May-05 to 13-May-05)
I was on vacation, while on trip
VIsa expired on 15-May-05
Got my Canadian PR in Feb'06 (Haven't been to Canada yet)
FInishing my MBA (FInance) on 20-May-06
Would get a new job (Finance) within next 30-90days

My questions are.
Would there be any problem, looking at my details?
Should I go for stamping before I change my job or after changing the job?
If I go for stamping with current employer and then change my job, how about the stamping/visa validity?
In case of any degree related query, should I inform them that I have US master's degree in FInance,again which is not related to my current profession.
Is it ok to go to Canada for the first time to get PR and just after two days go for stamping?
Would there be any problem because of my visit to UK,France and Switzerland?

Advice Going to Calgary

I have applied for the H1B (and my wife for the H4) last year, The H1B was approved however the change of Status was denied because I needed to have the waiver of the 2yr home requirement (I have a J1). I just got the waiver approved by USCIS. Now We were told we have to go to our home country, however some people tell us that we can get our visa stamped in Calgary. Does anybody know if this is feasible (given that we were denied the COS because of the waiver, which we no have)? or we just have to go to our home country?
Thanks!

DS157 question

I have a question on DS-157, Q3.

"Full Name (in native alphabet)"

Should we write in our native language (for ex: hindi?)

H1 stamping question

Hi,

I have a B.Tech in Computer Science and Engineering (India) and MS in Electrical Engineering from USA. Presently I work as a Software QA Engineer. I am planning to go to Canada for H1 stamping and I am worried regarding any issue with mismatch of my US degree and current occupation. Is it an issue (having electrical enginerring degree and then working as Software QA, although I have computer science back ground from India) that might lead the VO to ask for own-country visa stamping?

Another question, for back ground check what is the maximum time frame they usually refer to - 3weeks, 4 weeks or 6 weeks or more than that? I am pretty much sure that I will be given a back ground check since I'm from B'desh.

Does working for big companies help comapred to work for consulting companies?

I really appreciate for any replies. This website is 'THE' great place to share expereince.

if you are quite sure of getting stuck for security check, why do you take the risk of visiting canada for this purpose. it will be less expensive to get this stamping done in own country.
unless absolutely necessary, do not leave the US for visa stamping.

if your company is big, please consult your immigration attorney and follow their advice in terms of security check timeline and so on.

just suggestions based on my experience not legal advice.
saim1994 said:
Hi,

I have a B.Tech in Computer Science and Engineering (India) and MS in Electrical Engineering from USA. Presently I work as a Software QA Engineer. I am planning to go to Canada for H1 stamping and I am worried regarding any issue with mismatch of my US degree and current occupation. Is it an issue (having electrical enginerring degree and then working as Software QA, although I have computer science back ground from India) that might lead the VO to ask for own-country visa stamping?

Another question, for back ground check what is the maximum time frame they usually refer to - 3weeks, 4 weeks or 6 weeks or more than that? I am pretty much sure that I will be given a back ground check since I'm from B'desh.

Does working for big companies help comapred to work for consulting companies?

I really appreciate for any replies. This website is 'THE' great place to share expereince.

Thanks tusharvk for your reply. My plan is to, in any case, if I am given a security check I'll go back to my country and get back to Canada once the time frame is almost over. Is it feasible?

tusharvk said:
if you are quite sure of getting stuck for security check, why do you take the risk of visiting canada for this purpose. it will be less expensive to get this stamping done in own country.
unless absolutely necessary, do not leave the US for visa stamping.

if your company is big, please consult your immigration attorney and follow their advice in terms of security check timeline and so on.

just suggestions based on my experience not legal advice.