H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

novice_dlh said:
Hi Guys,

I am going to Toronto for my first H1B stamping in April 2006.

My background:

a) F1 from chennai in Fall 2002
b) graduated (MS) in Winter 2005
c) Joined a reputed company in Mar 2005 on OPT.
d) H1 started from Oct 2005.

I have couple of questions regarding going to Canada for H1B statmping.

1) Is it OK to go to Canada for first H1B stamping.? - Yes it is O K2) Will the officer ask me why I came to Canada for stamping instead of going to India - We cannot predict that Q...if may ask or may not.3) Did anyone of you guys go to toronto in the last 1-2 months and what is your experience..? Been in Jan and was a easy one. Also met someone similar with your exact background - he had no problem.
All the best.

Please answer my questions guys.

Thanks
Novice

appt at the consulate that serves the consular district in which you ar

I am a PR and completed my landing process in 2004 at Toronto. While booking an appointment at nvars, i see it states that
"can make appt only at the consulate that serves the consular district in which you are permanent resident"

should i be making an appointment at Toronto consulate only? I am currently residing in US.

Thanks..

H1 stamping

Hello,

I am posting my experience for H1 stamping in Toronto consulate.I would also need some help regarding this. I have been asked to apply in India and have been told that I am not eligible to apply in canada. I dont understand that why they give appointments if they they cannot issue the Visa. I mean why cant they be clear about the rules.

I had an appointment today and took all my documents. I was asked to show the original approval and employment letter. And then I waited to be called by the consular officer. It was some lady in her 40s.

The consular officer asked for I797,LCA, employment letter, MS degree and transcripts. She asked me why I did not go to India for stamping. I told her that I had to come to the canadian office for some business trip. Then she noticed that my MS degree was in Electrical Engineering and she asked for all previous employment letters.She then said she cannot issue me the visa and I should have no problem getting from India.

She returned all documents and ALSO my passport with 221(g) stamped and told me that I should apply in India as my application needs further evaluation which can only be done by the consulate there. I was surprised by this and asked her what was it that I was missing. She just said that I should be more strong with all the documentation thats needed to convince the officer.

Can I appeal her decision? I have already contacted my company lawyers and they said that I should apply in India again and we cannot appeal this. They are also saying that I should contact my manager and see if they can arrange for me to work from India till I get the stamp. The lawyers have suggested that having an office in India may actually turn out to be beneficial when I go for second time.But again they say it goes case by case basis.

Does anyone know of good travel agencies in canada where we can get cheap tickets for India at the last minute.

Any help that I can get I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Travel AGENT IN TORONTO

Hello- Contact Krishnan he work with Gabba travel. He is very good and honest.
His number is 905-673-3336
Tell him Ali refered from USA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry About That

Hi

Sorry to hear about your situation. I am not sure why such things happen.

BTW did you take any strong letter from your company saying why you are coming to Canada. Did you get any indication why she rejected your case. Are these guys trying to avoid applicants from US?

Hope things get OK fro you

murli_math said:
Hello,

I am posting my experience for H1 stamping in Toronto consulate.I would also need some help regarding this. I have been asked to apply in India and have been told that I am not eligible to apply in canada. I dont understand that why they give appointments if they they cannot issue the Visa. I mean why cant they be clear about the rules.

I had an appointment today and took all my documents. I was asked to show the original approval and employment letter. And then I waited to be called by the consular officer. It was some lady in her 40s.

The consular officer asked for I797,LCA, employment letter, MS degree and transcripts. She asked me why I did not go to India for stamping. I told her that I had to come to the canadian office for some business trip. Then she noticed that my MS degree was in Electrical Engineering and she asked for all previous employment letters.She then said she cannot issue me the visa and I should have no problem getting from India.

She returned all documents and ALSO my passport with 221(g) stamped and told me that I should apply in India as my application needs further evaluation which can only be done by the consulate there. I was surprised by this and asked her what was it that I was missing. She just said that I should be more strong with all the documentation thats needed to convince the officer.

Can I appeal her decision? I have already contacted my company lawyers and they said that I should apply in India again and we cannot appeal this. They are also saying that I should contact my manager and see if they can arrange for me to work from India till I get the stamp. The lawyers have suggested that having an office in India may actually turn out to be beneficial when I go for second time.But again they say it goes case by case basis.

Does anyone know of good travel agencies in canada where we can get cheap tickets for India at the last minute.

Any help that I can get I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Originally Posted by ankur_60201
<quote>
Q [3] When I will go for my interview, my current H1 stamp will still be valid (although it will expire in a day). . Can this be a problem
==>Even if its valid for small period that shouldn't be problem. Mine was valid for 1 and half month.
<unquote>

I see a small issue in the whole scheme. If, God forbid, one does not get visa revalidated on the last day due some kind of idiosyncracy (which is rare though), one is stuck in a country which is neither the place where one works/lives, nor one's home country.
Correct me if I am wrong.
vkv

automatic visa revalidation

what is automatic visa revalidation? can I travel to india after that or it can be used only from canada to US

Thanks

Does using Advance Parole affects H1 status?

Hi,
Mine, my wife's and my kid's visa stamping are expired in Jan 2006. We got new H1 and H4 extensions a week ago. We will be travelling to India in May 2006 to attend a marriage in our family. Our I485s are pending and we have valid Advance Paroles.

My question is if I use Advance Parole to come back to USA, does it amount to loosing my H1 status. I moved to another company and got H1 extension for 3 more years since I485 is pending with I140 approved.

Or should I go for visa stamping. If so how safe it is to go to Ottawa for visa stamping with expired visa. Your advises and suggestions are highly appreciated
Thanks,
Raaj

Safdarali, Thanks for the contact. I was able to find one also and hopefully I will be leaving in 2-3 days back to India for another stamping.

Ankur, The VO did not give any specific reason other than saying that need more stronger documentation and convincing papers to be eligible for applying there.

I am not sure what exactly they were looking for as I had pretty much all documents.

Anyway I just want to prepare for the stamping in India now.

murli_math said:
Safdarali, Thanks for the contact. I was able to find one also and hopefully I will be leaving in 2-3 days back to India for another stamping.

Ankur, The VO did not give any specific reason other than saying that need more stronger documentation and convincing papers to be eligible for applying there.

I am not sure what exactly they were looking for as I had pretty much all documents.

Anyway I just want to prepare for the stamping in India now.
Murli, sorry to hear that. just a question did you have your first H1 stanpped from India. If First H1 is stampped from India then it should not had the problem.

two time stampping in canada

Has any one stampped the H1 Visa twice in canada. I mean last year for 7th year and again now visa expired and want to get the 8th year H1 stampped from Canada. Thanks !

H1B Stamping in Toronto

Hi,
I am planning to get my First H1-B stamping for my wife at Toronto Consulate in May. She just has a Btech degree from India. Though i am in dilema becos I saw few negative postings in this thread. Is Vancouver consulate a better option to get stamping? Please post your comments on this. I am from california and i choose Toronto just becos its a better tourist destination.

Thanks
Praveen

Photos at Toronto Consulate

Hi,
Anyone with recent Toronto Stamping experience, can you please tell me if there will be sufficient time available to take photos at the Toronto Consulate during the visa interview appointment? Thanks!

If you are in California, why are you not trying in Tijuana, Mexica (right out side San diego). It is a safer bet as long as your wife is not working in pure science, computer security and other occupations listed in TAL (technology alert list). Tijuana is a little picky about the TAL list. If the occupation falls under TAL, they refer to a security check.
pnadella said:
Hi,
I am planning to get my First H1-B stamping for my wife at Toronto Consulate in May. She just has a Btech degree from India. Though i am in dilema becos I saw few negative postings in this thread. Is Vancouver consulate a better option to get stamping? Please post your comments on this. I am from california and i choose Toronto just becos its a better tourist destination.

Thanks
Praveen

Got H1 stamped at Toronto.

Here is the information that I wish I had known before:

My background - Education MCA, Chennai. Exp - 3 years in India, 3 years in USA. This is my second H1 B Stamping and for my third sponsering company.

At Toronto, we need $100 Deposit Slip (like D.D) given by Scotia Bank. It doesn't accept cash.

At Toronto, US Consulate accepts a fax copy/printout of signed Employment Letter. I couldn't receive the original intime and was worried. After calling up the consulate, they assured me that a copy of signed employment letter is sufficient. Infact during my interview, the consular officer didn't look at any of the documents I have taken (apart from asking for DS 156, DS157, Deposit Slip, 2X2 Photo and Passport).

It was very very cold during my trip (March), I didn't prepare well and got cold & fever now.

I had good trip overall. I went to the famous 5* Dhaba in downtown (king st). Niagara Falls looked like drainage canal (light brown water)!!.

I wish I should have taken the trip in May/Jun instead of Mar.

That's about it.

Reentry to US with valid visa if visa is denied in CANADA

I am on H1 visa and My US visa is expiring in July2006 and I am planning to go to Canada for 7th year Stamping in May2006.My question to you guys is
"If my visa is denied in canada would I be able to Reenter US with my old Unexpired visa that is valid until July2006 or should I go back to India for stamping?
I would greatly appreciate your help if anyone clarifies my question in this matter..

Last edited by a moderator:
mightyc said:
I am on H1 visa and My US visa is expiring in July2006 and I am planning to go to Canada for 7th year Stamping in May2006.My question to you guys is
"If my visa is denied in canada would I be able to Reenter US with my old Unexpired visa that is valid until July2006 or should I go back to India for stamping?
I would greatly appreciate your help if anyone clarifies my question in this matter..
No if your visa is denied for any reason, you can not come back. But do not worry as long as you have all the documents properly like all W2s, empoler letter and recent pay stubs.. you should be fine. i got my 7th year from canada.

H4 from canada consulates

Can the wife of h1b apply for visa stamp in canadian consulates? wife is in India and there is a long wait time for visa interview in consulates in India.

Please share any experiences that you might have

Congrats!

Congrats and thanks for posting. I just cannot fathom why it is not as straightforward for other folks who have a degree from India and similar work experience.

rajeshkamisetty said:
Here is the information that I wish I had known before:

My background - Education MCA, Chennai. Exp - 3 years in India, 3 years in USA. This is my second H1 B Stamping and for my third sponsering company.

At Toronto, we need $100 Deposit Slip (like D.D) given by Scotia Bank. It doesn't accept cash.

At Toronto, US Consulate accepts a fax copy/printout of signed Employment Letter. I couldn't receive the original intime and was worried. After calling up the consulate, they assured me that a copy of signed employment letter is sufficient. Infact during my interview, the consular officer didn't look at any of the documents I have taken (apart from asking for DS 156, DS157, Deposit Slip, 2X2 Photo and Passport).

It was very very cold during my trip (March), I didn't prepare well and got cold & fever now.

I had good trip overall. I went to the famous 5* Dhaba in downtown (king st). Niagara Falls looked like drainage canal (light brown water)!!.

I wish I should have taken the trip in May/Jun instead of Mar.

That's about it.