H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

H4-F1-H4 issue

Hi all,
This is the first time I am traveling to Canada, so I am a little nervous. So, need your advise regarding my situation.

I am planning to go to Toronto for revalidating my passport (old visa expired Nov 2004). I recently got H1 approval with the same company till Nov 2007. I have an MS from US.
My questions:
1. My next visa starts from Mar 23rd, 2006. Do I have to wait till then or can I apply right away for the revalidation?
2. Regards to my wife, she came here on a H4, then converted to a F1 (through the I-539 application to Nebraska) for a year. We applied for her H4 conversion along with my extension and now she's back again on H4. Her H4 visa on passport expires in Mar 23,2006. We both are going for revalidation. Does anybody know of issues with getting the passport stamped because of conversions through I-539.

I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
Ravi

tusharvk said:
I got my visa stamping done in Toronto last week. My exp was very similar to other successful visitors to that consulate this year.
My background: undergrad from India, F1 (chennai), MS from US, H1b stamp in Toronto (2005) and now second H1b stamping in Toronto.

Appt time was 10:30 am. but arrived and was let in around 9:30 am itself. it was very cold and windy that day and so no queues were outside the consulate.
once inside gave passport, appt letter (1st page), scotia bank rec, I797A at the first counter. was asked my first entry date into the US and date of change of status from F1->H1b. as I was handing over the documents, I did see the lady at the window stamping "cancelled without prejudice" on my prior visas.
after some wait was fingerprinted at another window (no questions asked) and after a further wait was called for actual interview. questions asked were how long I had worked with my company and what I was working on for them. after that the visa officer said that everything looked good and asked me to go to the 3rd floor to pay rec fee and bring the receipt to him.
when I brought the receipt, he gave me the usual instructions regarding collecting the passport.
the place was packed with indians, chinese, etc. could not tell how many were canadian-PRs though. during my waiting time inside the consulate, did see >50% applicants going to the 3rd floor and heard only a couple of canadian PP holders being called at the various counters. so most applicants were TCNs.
hard to listen to any questions being asked by the visa officers; so could not tell if there were any rejects.
any questions, please let me know; will be glad to help out if I can.

When did you get your passport back? same say or did you have to stay there to collect your passport?

Gurus Please Help

Is it possible to go for H1 stamping to Canada before the current VISA on passport expires?

The reason I ask this is to avoid any risk of re-entry if the VISA is denied for some reason.

Any comments from other who have been in similar situations is helpful.

nvars info needed

I have the same question as mvinays. No dates are available. Is there a time that I should log onto the website to stand a chance of finding an appointment?

mvinays said:
Does anyone have a recent H-1B stamping experience at Toronto consulate? Please share your details.

Also, can anyone tell me how to check what appointment interview dates are available at Toronto consulate? I was unable to get the available dates at www.nvars.com for Toronto

Thanks for your help!

Hey garp,

if you go with a valid visa (in passport) or not, and then if denied a visa,
you cannot come back. Once you decide to attend a visa interview, before
you even go to the actual visa officer's window, your passports previous visas
are stamped "cancelled without prejudice" which means that it becomes invalid
there after. Hence, you can only come back to the US if and only if you are
granted a visa. But all the proper paperwork can only work in your favour, so
be sure and confident about the documentation and you should not have any
major problem.

all the best.

How do get the appointment?

I understand but I am having difficulty getting an appointment on nvars.com. No appointments are available. How do I get an appointment?

Question for those who booked appt. via nvars.com

If you booked your appt. via nvars.com could you let me know when is the best time to login to the website? I have been trying for a few days and no appointments are available. :mad:

call their number. it costs $10-15 to book the appt online; by phone it may take the same or less amount.
garp said:
If you booked your appt. via nvars.com could you let me know when is the best time to login to the website? I have been trying for a few days and no appointments are available. :mad:

Doubts abt Restamping in Canada

Hi friends,
I need your advise/experience as I am planning to go to Canada for H1 restamping.

1st I came on H1 in Nov 2002 on Company A from Mumbai. After coming to USA worked for company A for a year, then changed to company B,C,D. Now I am with Company E. Everytime I got my new H1 i.e. I-797 and I have complete documentation. But my current employer i.e. E, didnt give me all H1 documentaion. And company E for which I am working got merged with its parent or sister company, say EP.

My 1st VISA stamping was valid up to September 2005. So I never went for stamping on company B or C or D. Now as my H1 stamping expired, next time I leave country, I should get stamping to reenter. For restamping I took an appt in Vancouver, Canada.

So my doubt is - how safe is it to go for restamping either in Canada or India? Bcoz - my current H1 approval shows company E but I have only one latest paystub and emp. verf. ltr from company EP. Please advise!

Last edited by a moderator:
Successful First Time Stamping in Ottawa

Hi All,

I had successful stamping done at Ottawa consulate on 19th Dec 2005.
Due to family emergencies,I had to go to India after that and could not
post my experiences.
Now as I am back in USA,I would like to thank everyone in this forum as
this was the only place from where I gathered info.

If My experience helps---

This was my first time H1B stamping ever.
I was very nervous as I don't have my masters done from USA as well as
I never had stamping done from my home country(India)
I came to USA on H4 and then filed for H1 .
After that I changed my company once.

I went to Ottawa by flight on Saturday afternoon.Took rest on Sunday .
My appointment was on Monday morning 9:30 am

Waited in line outside the consulate for 1 hour.Then was called inside.

Suggestions:

Pls don't take any purses or bags as they are not allowed.I got some very good transparent folders from STAPLES and they were very helpful.

My turn came at nearly 11:45am

The papers asked were-

1. My Employer's letter
2. Previous company's papers.
3. My degree certificates(I handed over my evaluation along with my degrees)
4. Proof of my ties to my home country (He just asked if I have some proof...I said yes as I had some property papers and bank statements from India)
5. Photos of my company
6. Recent paystubs.(I handed over all)

Questions asked were---

1.What do you do for the company.What in particular?
2.Does the company treat you right.
3.When did your status change fro H4 to H1
4.Did you do any studies in USA (I told about my microsoft certifications)

The officer was very soft spoken and considerate.

He gave me a reciept at the end to deposit another 50 dollars as reciprocity fee and asked to come back.
I deposited fee and gave reciept to him
He told me to come next day to collect my passport at 3 pm

So finally I got my visa next day.

I would be happy to answer any questions.

Thanks...

Thanks for the info

Congrats! And thanks very much for posting an update. I am a little surprised they asked for proof about your ties to home country as that is not a requirement for H1.

garvin said:
Hi All,

I had successful stamping done at Ottawa consulate on 19th Dec 2005.
Due to family emergencies,I had to go to India after that and could not
post my experiences.
Now as I am back in USA,I would like to thank everyone in this forum as
this was the only place from where I gathered info.

If My experience helps---

This was my first time H1B stamping ever.
I was very nervous as I don't have my masters done from USA as well as
I never had stamping done from my home country(India)
I came to USA on H4 and then filed for H1 .
After that I changed my company once.

I went to Ottawa by flight on Saturday afternoon.Took rest on Sunday .
My appointment was on Monday morning 9:30 am

Waited in line outside the consulate for 1 hour.Then was called inside.

Suggestions:

Pls don't take any purses or bags as they are not allowed.I got some very good transparent folders from STAPLES and they were very helpful.

My turn came at nearly 11:45am

The papers asked were-

1. My Employer's letter
2. Previous company's papers.
3. My degree certificates(I handed over my evaluation along with my degrees)
4. Proof of my ties to my home country (He just asked if I have some proof...I said yes as I had some property papers and bank statements from India)
5. Photos of my company
6. Recent paystubs.(I handed over all)

Questions asked were---

1.What do you do for the company.What in particular?
2.Does the company treat you right.
3.When did your status change fro H4 to H1
4.Did you do any studies in USA (I told about my microsoft certifications)

The officer was very soft spoken and considerate.

He gave me a reciept at the end to deposit another 50 dollars as reciprocity fee and asked to come back.
I deposited fee and gave reciept to him
He told me to come next day to collect my passport at 3 pm

So finally I got my visa next day.

I would be happy to answer any questions.

Thanks...

kosu said:
Just to let you guys know about my experience in Ottawa for my H1B stamping today. Before proceding to my H1B stamping experience, a little bit about my background.

I came to US in 1999. Did H1B revalidation at St,Louis for 2 times. Currently working as a software engineer for DOD (Department of Defense) project. Applied for 10 years H1B. I know...the traditional H1B is valid for upto 6 Years, whereas if you are working for a DoD project then your H1B is valid for upto 10 year. (DID ANYONE KNOW THAT). Got my H1B approved till 2009. Currently holds Canadian Green card too.

Booked the appt through Nvars.com for Oct 31st. Drove from Northern Virginia to Ottawa on 29th oct 2005.. No problem at the border. No question asked. Just the formal one.. about carrying tobacco or alcohol

Stayed at the hotel near the consulate. Just 3 min walk to the consulate. Booked through Priceline.com. Pretty cheap. For 3 days 140$.

Went today morning for my Interview with my family. I have two sons. One is a US Citizen.

Some advices
- IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO GO WITH YOUR WIFE PLEASE DO NOT TAKE PURSE. THEY WILL NOT ALLOW.

- IF YOU HAVE CAR KEYS WITH THE REMOTE CONTROL, YOU CAN LEAVE IT WITH THE SECURITY.

- ALSO MAKE SURE YOU CARRY ALL YOUR PAPERS ON A TRANSPARENT FOLDER.

Then went inside the consulate. The guard who checks your coat and everything asked me to go to counter number 7. Went to the counter. There you will need to pay the 100$ fees. In my case I paid 300$ in cash. They do accept cash. The documents you need there is your passport, your DS-156 form, DS - 157 and your H1B approval. Thats it. He will let you know that your name will be called.

My name was called around half an hour later. The lady behind the counter asked us for the finger print. Then she had asked us the question that they were wondering how INS approved the case till 2009.

She also asked me whether my company has applied for the labor. I said yes, but she did not ask for a proof.

I told her that if any alien working on a DoD project then the H1B is valid for 10 years. Then she asked me for the proof. She told me that she has not heard anything like that. Thank god, I took a print out from the INS site.

She told me that this is the first case they are handling. Also showed my ID Card. She said that she wanted to share this info with other collegues and steped out of the window, then came back a couple of minutes later. Gave us a receipt to pay the fees for 150$ , for me, my wife and my child. Asked us to collect the passport next day around 3:00 PM.

That's it.
Kosu,
I need some urgent help from you, my h1 6 year expires on MAY06 second week, and just waiting for my 140 approvel which was submited on Jan 06 Ist week. I am not eligible for yearly extension as i got my lc through PERM <365 days.
But i also work with DOD project at DC, can you pls send me atrny details or other info for this 10 years extension.
Thanks and Regards

dc9900 said:
Kosu,
I need some urgent help from you, my h1 6 year expires on MAY06 second week, and just waiting for my 140 approvel which was submited on Jan 06 Ist week. I am not eligible for yearly extension as i got my lc through PERM <365 days.
But i also work with DOD project at DC, can you pls send me atrny details or other info for this 10 years extension.
Thanks and Regards

Hi DC9000,

I have sent you a PM..

rejection

I was writing to get some help on this 221(g) I got in Toronto consulate. This was 2 days ago.I have a canada PR. I was told that I cannot be in early PR status and apply for H-1 stamp. I was told as I have recently completed landing I need to wait for some paperwork that I will receive from canadian department (usually along with my PR card). I have to bring those papers completely filled and only then they can further process my H1 case. And bringing that won't still necessarily make me eligible for stamping?

Am I missing something here? what kind of paperwork are they asking for? I dont understand. The VO mentioned that the paperwork involved some affidavit to maintain residency in canada.

At the time of landing the canadian official did look up to see that I had an appointment with consulate for stamping. He did not say anything of additional paperwork , only that I will get my PR card in mail at the address I have mentioned and I should wait till I get my PR card in had before leaving.

I asked the VO to see my landing papers but he did not discuss any further and told me I need to come back with what they want.

Anyone experienced something similar. This is stupid. Is this only for people who have PR status or everyone?

Thanks in advance for any replies on this.

eshwars

What do they mean by early PR status? You are canadian PR so you should have shown them the card. Did u show it to them?
I got the PR cards 6 months back and SSN also from Canada government but there was no affidavit or anything with that. I think VO was asking about the PR card only.
Also, is this your first H1 stamping?
Your education is from India or US?
Please reply ASAP. Because I am in the same boat and my visa appointment is on Feb'14th in Toronto. I am in my 7th year of H1b.

I would appreciate if you can reply to this ASAP.

thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
seems like a tricky situation.
if one has the pr card, it should not matter because their home country is canada.
I think it might be best to avoid doing landing and stamping at the same time. after landing one can re-enter using auto-revalidation rule.
sanksin77 said:
eshwars

What do they mean by early PR status? You are canadian PR so you should have shown them the card. Did u show it to them?
I got the PR cards 6 months back and SSN also from Canada government but there was no affidavit or anything with that. I think VO was asking about the PR card only.
Also, is this your first H1 stamping?
Your education is from India or US?
Please reply ASAP. Because I am in the same boat and my visa appointment is on Feb'14th in Toronto. I am in my 7th year of H1b.

I would appreciate if you can reply to this ASAP.

thanks in advance.

garp said:
Congrats! And thanks very much for posting an update. I am a little surprised they asked for proof about your ties to home country as that is not a requirement for H1.

Ya...But I prepared for it because that was a requirement written in the appointment letter they sent.

garvin

but what happens if my company has already applied for my GC then how do i show ties to my home country..??

thanks
garvin said:
Ya...But I prepared for it because that was a requirement written in the appointment letter they sent.

sanskin/others

I have US Masters degree and this was my second stamping. First was also from Toronto.

I called the canadian guys and I was told that at the time of landing I should not have been allowed as I dont intent to immigrate as I want to go for H1 stamping. But they said in cases that they allow they will send some affidavit that I will have to fill and get certified and bring it for stamping.

So I should expect some additional paperwork when I receive my PR card and I will have instructions on them.

We go through such painful process of applying for PR and then we have to go through this. And not to mention the H stamping process.

Hi All, i have a question regarding "Proof of ties to my home country " , it was listed as requirment in the letter of appointment sent to me from tonoto consulate. Is that required for H1-B stmaping??? please help me in what documents i need to take so that i can get it from india.

Thanks

garp said: