H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

Ciscodude,

Did you have a US degree?

I guess people going in for stamping with foreign degrees would be better served if they have their education evaluated in the US and carry a copy of the same for the interview.

ciscodude said:
Guys..Had Successful Visa Stamping at Toronto Last week. Looking at this forum for last 3 months..My turn to post my experience.
First stamping at chennai and Second St.Louis and a Bachelors degree holder.

Stayed at Days Inn 5 miles from the consulate. Nice hotel. Free breakfast plus internet access.
There is a parking spot opposite to the consulate entrance for $10 max per day. Had appointment at 9 AM. Showed the appt letter and had the security check . They did not allow cell phones. A guy before me had a cell phone and was asked to dispose the cell phone outside the consulate and enter again.

Then I joined a line of people waiting to submit the application in this order
Passport
Apt letter
Scotia Bank $100 receipt
797 Approval

There was a person before me without the scotia bank receipt. He told he can pay cash. But the lady gave a scotia bank receipt and showed the directions to the nearest scotia bank and asked him to go and get the $100 receipt. They are nice and helpful. BTW I am still wondering how come that guy entered the consulate without the scotia bank receipt..

The lady at the counter checked my forms and asked me to fill some information which I missed in form 156. She noted how long I have been in H1. Then I was waiting in the hall. I took a book with me to read during the waiting time. During my waiting period I was able to hear clearly some interviews by the officer. General questions...But I didnt see any rejections.

My name was called and I greeted the officer. He asked me
When I entered in H1
How long I have been working in the current company
What does my company do
He also asked me to show the I129 petition..he checked a few things and gave it back.

He told me - Everything looks okay and to go and pay the reciprocity fees. Paid the $50 fees in the 3rd floor and came back and gave the receipt to the officer and he issued a token to come and collect the passport the next day. Remember the 797 approval also is being taken and issued the next day along with the passport.

Once the appt is over, You can do some shopping in downtown. Lot of Indian restaurants in Toronto..You can have authentic food there. There are 2 Saravana Bhavan hotels (branch of a popular restaurant joint in chennai,India)

The next day went around 3 PM and collected the passport and approval. I noticed they took the I94. Drove back to detroit. At the border they told me to go to the immigration office and get the I 94. Paid $6 and got the I 94.

Before going to Toronto like every other individual I was also worried..But I guess there is nothing much to worry if we have all documents.

I answered myself my previous question about what are the forms 156, 157 and 129 :)

Now, while reading the Toronto Embassy (US) requirements for Visa, I found out that there is a "typical" waiting time of 56 days to arrange for an interview appointment. This implies we have to carefully calculate all the logistic of getting the Canadian Visa (To enter Canada) in order to enter Canada in the dates you will have the Interview since this one cannot be arrange while you are there in the spot. It has to be in advance. I think we are talking about 2 months of coordinating dates (US interview and Canadian Tourist Visa = must coincide).

Anybody has something to add in that respect? Any experience or advice to get the timing right?

I agree. I thought it was a requirement to submit credential evaluation to USCIS with the I129 to get I797.
If one already has done such evalauation, should carry the original credential evaluation with them to visa interview; if not done at the time of I129, get it done for the explicit purpose of the visa interview.

immi24 said:
Ciscodude,

Did you have a US degree?

I guess people going in for stamping with foreign degrees would be better served if they have their education evaluated in the US and carry a copy of the same for the interview.

ciscodude said:
I do not know what to tell you..Bad luck..
Is your US visa expired or unexpired or the consulate people cancel your current visa. If not expired you can come to the USA and then plan for your stamping in India.

If your Visa is expired..which sucks...Be patient..sit on the internet frequently and try to get an appointment soon in India...I really understand the amount of pain you are undergoing right now..Just a few words of consolation my friend..Good Luck

Well I am trying for Emergency appointment in Delhi/kolkata/Mumbai but not getting any dates before march/april. The dates avilability is same for Normal and Emergency appointments both.. I don't know it is a software issue or not ? I plan to go to India by January. Any suggestion ???

Hello guys,
I want to go for my h1 visa stamping for my 7th year extension.Can anyone suggest me whether to try for canada or mexico.Also, will i get appointments before feb 10.Any further information regarding this would be appreciated along with details of taking a canadian visa.
Thanks in advance,
Grencard.

H1b Stamping

My wife came on H4 on March 2004. We processed her H1. She got her H1 approved on October 2004 but started working from 1st December 2004. She does not have W2 for the year 2004 as her employer pays salary after a month and also she was not having SSN. She got her first payslip on Jan 2005. She has all payslips from Jan 2005 and will get her W2 for the year 2005. We are planning to get her visa stampped at Toronto consulate.

Do you see any issue because she was not on H1 in 2004 for the month of October and November? Do you see any issue because manual pay slips for the month of Jan and Feb 2005?

I heard somewhere, there are 60 days window when you transfer your status from one visa to another. In her case it was from H4 to H1.

Does anyone have a link to such article?

Thanks,

Hi All,

How does one apply for candian visa through post ? what are all the things i need to send along with my passport to the candian consulate ( esp for detriot one) ?

Can any one guide me in this process?

Thanks

do you know how far is the scotia bank from the consulate in toronto?
ciscodude said:
Guys..Had Successful Visa Stamping at Toronto Last week. Looking at this forum for last 3 months..My turn to post my experience.
First stamping at chennai and Second St.Louis and a Bachelors degree holder.

Stayed at Days Inn 5 miles from the consulate. Nice hotel. Free breakfast plus internet access.
There is a parking spot opposite to the consulate entrance for $10 max per day. Had appointment at 9 AM. Showed the appt letter and had the security check . They did not allow cell phones. A guy before me had a cell phone and was asked to dispose the cell phone outside the consulate and enter again.

Then I joined a line of people waiting to submit the application in this order
Passport
Apt letter
Scotia Bank $100 receipt
797 Approval

There was a person before me without the scotia bank receipt. He told he can pay cash. But the lady gave a scotia bank receipt and showed the directions to the nearest scotia bank and asked him to go and get the $100 receipt. They are nice and helpful. BTW I am still wondering how come that guy entered the consulate without the scotia bank receipt..

The lady at the counter checked my forms and asked me to fill some information which I missed in form 156. She noted how long I have been in H1. Then I was waiting in the hall. I took a book with me to read during the waiting time. During my waiting period I was able to hear clearly some interviews by the officer. General questions...But I didnt see any rejections.

My name was called and I greeted the officer. He asked me
When I entered in H1
How long I have been working in the current company
What does my company do
He also asked me to show the I129 petition..he checked a few things and gave it back.

He told me - Everything looks okay and to go and pay the reciprocity fees. Paid the $50 fees in the 3rd floor and came back and gave the receipt to the officer and he issued a token to come and collect the passport the next day. Remember the 797 approval also is being taken and issued the next day along with the passport.

Once the appt is over, You can do some shopping in downtown. Lot of Indian restaurants in Toronto..You can have authentic food there. There are 2 Saravana Bhavan hotels (branch of a popular restaurant joint in chennai,India)

The next day went around 3 PM and collected the passport and approval. I noticed they took the I94. Drove back to detroit. At the border they told me to go to the immigration office and get the I 94. Paid $6 and got the I 94.

Before going to Toronto like every other individual I was also worried..But I guess there is nothing much to worry if we have all documents.

Reply to sinoux for Canadian visa Q

For applying for a Canadian visa through mail, you have to send the following documents to the consulate

1. Fully completed IMM-5227
2. Passport
3. I-94
4. I-797
5. Copy of OPT card (if present)
6. Copy of all I-20s
7. Bank statements
8. Letter from employer confirming current and ongoing employment.
9. All pay stubs.
10. Copy of the visa interview appointment letter sent to you by the US
consulate.
11. A prepaid US Express mail envelope with the correct postage affixed. Also provide a daytime telephone number on the mailing label above the recipient address.
12. 2 photographs
Read the appendix B at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/5256E.PDF and take the photo specs sheet to the photographer.

I sent mine to the LA consulate where except for the passport and I-94 all other documents were copies NOT originals. Though this requirement varies from consulate to consulate, check with Detroit and see what they say.

If I were you, I will not send the originals of anything else. Even sending the passport caused me to sit with my heart in my stomach for 10-15 days.

Bye,

Hi,
About the IMM-5227 Forum , Where can i find it? i went trough the candian consulate website but i couldnt find it.
Could give me a link or place to look for?

Thanks for giving the list tough , it is very help full

whatsinaname0 said:
For applying for a Canadian visa through mail, you have to send the following documents to the consulate

1. Fully completed IMM-5227
2. Passport
3. I-94
4. I-797
5. Copy of OPT card (if present)
6. Copy of all I-20s
7. Bank statements
8. Letter from employer confirming current and ongoing employment.
9. All pay stubs.
10. Copy of the visa interview appointment letter sent to you by the US
consulate.
11. A prepaid US Express mail envelope with the correct postage affixed. Also provide a daytime telephone number on the mailing label above the recipient address.
12. 2 photographs
Read the appendix B at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/5256E.PDF and take the photo specs sheet to the photographer.

I sent mine to the LA consulate where except for the passport and I-94 all other documents were copies NOT originals. Though this requirement varies from consulate to consulate, check with Detroit and see what they say.

If I were you, I will not send the originals of anything else. Even sending the passport caused me to sit with my heart in my stomach for 10-15 days.

Bye,

In nvars website, when i go in to set an appointment for tornoto , it says
"There are currently no appointments available for the consulate selected", what does this mean?? can any one help me out on it?

Thanks

Sucessful Stamping in Toronto

Hi Guys...

Thanks for all previous exp post..it was quite helpful.
I returned today after getting my H1 extention stamping from Toronto.

Shall write in detail..

Regards,
India-H1-US-GC.

sinoux said:
In nvars website, when i go in to set an appointment for tornoto , it says
"There are currently no appointments available for the consulate selected", what does this mean?? can any one help me out on it?

Thanks
I am not sure..but that site nvars.com goes down frequently..Check back frequently..you might be lucky.

H1 renewal in Canada

Guys,

Instead of sending Passport to Canada consulate here, can we get it on US-Canadian Border?(Niagara falls or ???)
My current H1 is expiring on 3/26/06 (6 years on H1, Stamping Chennai-St.Louis-St.Louis, no US degree)
I just applied for 3 years extension (Labor and 140 approved), expected to get H1 approval by February ending.

Is it safe to go to Canada in Feb/Mar where my visa is expiring on 3/26?
Did anybody got 3 years visa in Canada after 6 years of H1?

Feedback is really appreciated.

Thanks,
-SR

I am in the same boat like you (Chennai-St.Louis-St.Louis, no US degree). Let me know how your 7th year extension stamping goes.

Thanks

sr2610 said:
Guys,

Instead of sending Passport to Canada consulate here, can we get it on US-Canadian Border?(Niagara falls or ???)
My current H1 is expiring on 3/26/06 (6 years on H1, Stamping Chennai-St.Louis-St.Louis, no US degree)
I just applied for 3 years extension (Labor and 140 approved), expected to get H1 approval by February ending.

Is it safe to go to Canada in Feb/Mar where my visa is expiring on 3/26?
Did anybody got 3 years visa in Canada after 6 years of H1?

Feedback is really appreciated.

Thanks,
-SR

Tronto H1B stamping

I think it’s pay back time. I was browsing through this website for almost 3 months. Thanks everyone for their feedbacks and suggestions. Here is my case. I am holding an Indian passport with one H1B stamp from Chennai consulate. All my degrees are from India. During the H1B period, I changed the employer once.
I went to Toronto consulate on Jan-04-06.My appointment was scheduled for 10:30 AM. But I reached there almost 9:30 and they allowed me to go in. After the initial screening of the document, they asked me to wait in the waiting area. Around 11:30 my name was called for interview.

Interview scripts:

VO: Good Morning, How are you
Me: Good Morning, fine Thank you
VO: Explained about fingerprinting
Me: Kept left and right index finger in the scanner.
VO: When did you came to US on H1B
Me: Date you landed in USA
VO: Which company you working for?
Me: Company name
VO: what your company is doing
Me: Explained about the company
Now came the most tense stage. As I told you earlier I changed my employer once. My %@# employer revoked my H1B
VO: when did you join the new company?
Me: given the date
VO: Why did you change the company?
Me: Given the reason
VO: Why your previous employer revoked your H1B
Me: I don’t know
VO: Do you know anything about it.
Me. No
VO: We got a very good record of your new company. So everything is fine and we will issue a visa.
Till this time, I was really tensed. I thought, he is going to reject my visa. Most interestingly He didn’t ask me any documents. Not even the employer letter. I believe my present employer (Marlabs Inc) maintains a good record with INS. Now days, they look for the company too. If anyone interested in knowing about this company or any interview details you can mail me at titus126@yahoo.com
VO: pay the reciprocity fee and come back

Next day, I collected the passport at 3 from outside consulate window