H1 Visa Revalidation Experiences - Mumbai Consulate

Visitor Visa for in-laws

My in-laws have the appointment scheduled at MUMBAI on March 08 2006. Do they need to send the documents before the appointment date? Where can i get the information on this. Can anyone please let me know.

hello gc123_quest

Yes they have to send all documents like forms, Demand Draft...along with your H1B copy, I797 copy,Employment letter and original passport..through courier... VISA service pickup all documents they will give you reciept(I am NOT very sure...but they should provide you some reciept).....and you need to obtain along with Interview letter and additional documents on March'8th......here they will take your in-laws interview and once they VISA Officer clear VISA, will be issue another reciept, this reciept should NOT be loose....becase when passport arrives through courier brings passport they will first for those reciept and if you have those then only they are allow to hand over passport...

My parents went sometine in 2004 at bombay...please let me know if you have any questions.

Good Luck
Raj

gc123_quest said:
My in-laws have the appointment scheduled at MUMBAI on March 08 2006. Do they need to send the documents before the appointment date? Where can i get the information on this. Can anyone please let me know.

Thank Raj.

How many days prior to appointment do they need to send the documents. I read somewhere that they need to submit 5 days prior to appointment. But I not able to get that link/ information about submitting the documents. If yuou know of any link/information can you please provide to me.

Thanks

Here is the Link...

http://www.vfs-usa.co.in/frame.aspx

Procedure to schedule an online interview at the Mumbai Consulate

Applying online
Step 1: Pay the Application Fee and VFS’ Service Charge at a designated branch of HDFC Bank before applying for a US Visa.

Step 2: Return to this site and click on the Apply for a Non-immigrant Visa link once the fees are paid. You will need to use the barcode number from your HDFC Bank Fee Receipt in order to schedule an appointment.

Step 3: Download and print your Appointment Letter, the Visa Application Forms along with the checklist of documents to be submitted to VFS prior to the interview. You are then required to drop off your application forms with one recent photograph, supporting documentation and the demand draft for Issuance fee to any of our Application Centres in Ahmedabad, Mumbai or Pune. Alternatively you may courier the same to: US VFS Tirupati Apartments, Bhulabhai Desai Road, Mumbai 400 026. Your documents must reach us a minimum of 5 working days prior to your scheduled interview date. It is recommended that you forward your documents to us immediately after scheduling an interview.

Step 4: Report to the US Consulate, Mumbai where your appointment for a visa interview is scheduled. You will need to bring your interview appointment letter and all original supporting documents.

Step 5: If you are issued a visa, your passport will be returned to you via courier.

"Alternatively you may courier the same to: US VFS Tirupati Apartments, Bhulabhai Desai Road, Mumbai 400 026. Your documents must reach us a minimum of 5 working days prior to your scheduled interview date. It is recommended that you forward your documents to us immediately after scheduling an interview."

successfull stamping at mumbai H1/H4 on Feb 21

Hello guys,

MY wife and I successfully got our visa at Mumbai consulate. Thank you all for your valuable inputs. This forum has really helped us a lot.

Some important points:
1. My wife had her visa for first time
2. I have master's degree from US (in Control Systems Engineering).
3. VO did not ask me to show a single document (no paystub, no degree, no transcripts, no W2's)
4. Mine is a medium size corporation with about 400 poeple in field of manufacturing and services.
5. i have 1 speeding ticket although it doesnot show under my dirivng record.
6: My company has filed my GC and my 485 is pending rest erverything approved.

After many sleepless nights finally everything worked out.
Here's how it went:
Hope it gives some encouragement to you guys.

Feb 21, 2006 was the appointment day for H1B-H4 visa stamping for my wife and me at Mumbai consulate, India.

We reached the consulate at around 7:45 AM as we were scheduled for the interview at 8:15 AM. There was a big queue outside the consulate and we allowed entering inside at around 8:45. This delay was because of rush of the people there I guess.

First of all security check was done for both of us (***please note no digital equipments were allowed. i had to leave my digital watch with a watchman from neighboruing apartment ***). We were given a wooden token and then we went inside where I presented my original I 797 and then we were given our DS forms and we had to keep that with us along with the passports and my I 797 and we were asked to proceed to window no. 1 for finger prints where our DS forms, passports, I 797 everything were kept and we were issued pink tokens and asked to wait until our number was called.

We sat there almost for 2 hrs because their system was down. finally the system came up at 10:15 and and our numbers was called at window number 8 at around 10:30. VO was very friendly guy.
Here is the conversation between VO and both of us.

My wife and me: Good Morning sir,
VO: Good Morning,

Me: How are you doing this morning
VO: Coping up

VO (to my wife): so madam you want to go to state of CT
Wife: yes sir,

VO (with smile): so madam you want to go to state of CT
Me:yes sir

VO: Maam do you know how cold it is out there
Me: yes sir.
Me to VO: Did you hear we had about 2 feet of snowfall last week.
VO: yes and i am glad i am out here.

VO: So you went to West Virginia, California, & Connecticut
Me: Yes

VO: West Virginia, Mountaineers???
Me: yes, Did you see them play, They are playing very good this season, as a matter of fact Mountaineers are top of their seasons this time. Which school did you go?

VO: You dont want to knw (laughing)...
Me: why

VO: South Carolina

VO: So what happened in CA
Me: Well we had some bad wquaters and the company was downsized.... (*** i was laid off from my previous job. the gap was around 4-6 weeks depending upon how you look at it *******)

VO: So what does your company do
Me: Explainend what my company does

to my wife
VO: Maam how was the marraige arrainged / love
Wife: Arranged

VO: Who were present at the first initial meeting
Wife: My parents/ Aunt, her parents and both of us

VO: What was your first impression when you saw him
Wife: XXXXXXXXX

VO: How many people were present during the marriage?
Wife: 400

VO: Sir, What was your first impression about your wife
ME: XXXXX

VO: Your visa are approved, passpotrt would be couried
We: thank you very much sir, you have a good day.

the interview lasted about 3 -4 min but after 1 min i knew he was going to issue the visa. Generally the VO will talk to you for 2-3 min becuase that is the time for him to get all clearances.

We came out side, paid the watchman for the watch, came back at 5:00 at VFS office picked up the passports. no extra fees needed for that. and left for home.

No problem at immigration also

Documents we carried
1. Appointment lettters
2. Passports
3. DS-156s
4. DS-157s
5. HDFC back deposit slip
6. Current H-1 (1-797), whole package
9. Previous H-1 (1-797) whole package
12. Letter of continuing employment from the employer
13. Original employment letter
14. All paystubs from current employer
15. All paystubs from the previous employer
16. Master's degree certificate / Letter
17. Master's transcripts
16. Bachelor's degree certificate
17. Bachelor's transcripts
19. Master's I-20
20. SSN card
21. Bank Statement
22. Utility Bill
23 Driving record
24 FBI fingerprinting record
25 Manpower loading for the entire year from my Manager
25 Letter from my project managers regarding my invovlment for my respective projects
26 photo copies of PO for the respective PO
27 company tax copies for last 5 years.
28 Marraige certifcate
29 original big photo album-- marraige

Last year the vfs website had a scrollable appointment calendar, and one could select any date that was open. This year it shows only current month, not scrollable, and only one date shown. I plan to go with family on 12 May, and was looking for appointment on 15th May. I've already paid the required fees and got visa deposit slip numbers (is it same as recipt number?). I went ahead anyway with 15th March to see what else comes up, but got stymied at the page where we have to type in the code given to the left.

Is there no way to apply for one appointment for the 3 of us? (Last year, I was the only one, and it was a lot easier, see my posts of last year in this thread.) I've sent an email to info@vfs ... awaiting reply.

pzgxmr:

Once you select your appointment it will ask you whether you are alone or have family memebers. you can then add your members to the same appointment. so your appointment will read as family of XXX members. hope this helps..

Andy

paradkaram said:
pzgxmr:

Once you select your appointment it will ask you whether you are alone or have family memebers. you can then add your members to the same appointment. so your appointment will read as family of XXX members. hope this helps..

Andy

Thanks Paradkar,

But now there is a new problem! At 11:00 AM this morning, the appointment calendar showed 15th March (only one day was green). Now (3:15 PM) it shows August and 4 or 5 days green!!

Help!!! :( :mad: :eek:

yes i know that. the US consulate dates are very dynamic. hence the moment you get a chance book it. keep your forms and everything ready.

Andy

DS157 for h4

is DS 157 reqd for h4 visa interview?
is it reqd to put in the work experience details in this form as the h4 spouse is not going to work in the US; so why is it reqd to elaborate all the experience details?
paradkaram said:
Hello guys,

MY wife and I successfully got our visa at Mumbai consulate. Thank you all for your valuable inputs. This forum has really helped us a lot.

Some important points:
1. My wife had her visa for first time
2. I have master's degree from US (in Control Systems Engineering).
3. VO did not ask me to show a single document (no paystub, no degree, no transcripts, no W2's)
4. Mine is a medium size corporation with about 400 poeple in field of manufacturing and services.
5. i have 1 speeding ticket although it doesnot show under my dirivng record.
6: My company has filed my GC and my 485 is pending rest erverything approved.

After many sleepless nights finally everything worked out.
Here's how it went:
Hope it gives some encouragement to you guys.

Feb 21, 2006 was the appointment day for H1B-H4 visa stamping for my wife and me at Mumbai consulate, India.

We reached the consulate at around 7:45 AM as we were scheduled for the interview at 8:15 AM. There was a big queue outside the consulate and we allowed entering inside at around 8:45. This delay was because of rush of the people there I guess.

First of all security check was done for both of us (***please note no digital equipments were allowed. i had to leave my digital watch with a watchman from neighboruing apartment ***). We were given a wooden token and then we went inside where I presented my original I 797 and then we were given our DS forms and we had to keep that with us along with the passports and my I 797 and we were asked to proceed to window no. 1 for finger prints where our DS forms, passports, I 797 everything were kept and we were issued pink tokens and asked to wait until our number was called.

We sat there almost for 2 hrs because their system was down. finally the system came up at 10:15 and and our numbers was called at window number 8 at around 10:30. VO was very friendly guy.
Here is the conversation between VO and both of us.

My wife and me: Good Morning sir,
VO: Good Morning,

Me: How are you doing this morning
VO: Coping up

VO (to my wife): so madam you want to go to state of CT
Wife: yes sir,

VO (with smile): so madam you want to go to state of CT
Me:yes sir

VO: Maam do you know how cold it is out there
Me: yes sir.
Me to VO: Did you hear we had about 2 feet of snowfall last week.
VO: yes and i am glad i am out here.

VO: So you went to West Virginia, California, & Connecticut
Me: Yes

VO: West Virginia, Mountaineers???
Me: yes, Did you see them play, They are playing very good this season, as a matter of fact Mountaineers are top of their seasons this time. Which school did you go?

VO: You dont want to knw (laughing)...
Me: why

VO: South Carolina

VO: So what happened in CA
Me: Well we had some bad wquaters and the company was downsized.... (*** i was laid off from my previous job. the gap was around 4-6 weeks depending upon how you look at it *******)

VO: So what does your company do
Me: Explainend what my company does

to my wife
VO: Maam how was the marraige arrainged / love
Wife: Arranged

VO: Who were present at the first initial meeting
Wife: My parents/ Aunt, her parents and both of us

VO: What was your first impression when you saw him
Wife: XXXXXXXXX

VO: How many people were present during the marriage?
Wife: 400

VO: Sir, What was your first impression about your wife
ME: XXXXX

VO: Your visa are approved, passpotrt would be couried
We: thank you very much sir, you have a good day.

the interview lasted about 3 -4 min but after 1 min i knew he was going to issue the visa. Generally the VO will talk to you for 2-3 min becuase that is the time for him to get all clearances.

We came out side, paid the watchman for the watch, came back at 5:00 at VFS office picked up the passports. no extra fees needed for that. and left for home.

No problem at immigration also

Documents we carried
1. Appointment lettters
2. Passports
3. DS-156s
4. DS-157s
5. HDFC back deposit slip
6. Current H-1 (1-797), whole package
9. Previous H-1 (1-797) whole package
12. Letter of continuing employment from the employer
13. Original employment letter
14. All paystubs from current employer
15. All paystubs from the previous employer
16. Master's degree certificate / Letter
17. Master's transcripts
16. Bachelor's degree certificate
17. Bachelor's transcripts
19. Master's I-20
20. SSN card
21. Bank Statement
22. Utility Bill
23 Driving record
24 FBI fingerprinting record
25 Manpower loading for the entire year from my Manager
25 Letter from my project managers regarding my invovlment for my respective projects
26 photo copies of PO for the respective PO
27 company tax copies for last 5 years.
28 Marraige certifcate
29 original big photo album-- marraige

code error encountered while filling out DS 157 form.
Unable to fill out DS 157 form for spouse because when I fill out the form, it gives me some silly error messages (software code related error). I am not sure what is wrong with this form.
but what can I do in such case?
tusharvk said:
is DS 157 reqd for h4 visa interview?
is it reqd to put in the work experience details in this form as the h4 spouse is not going to work in the US; so why is it reqd to elaborate all the experience details?

Passport - Pickup/Courier

When does the embassy return the passport after the interview ? Can I pick it up same day or next day? Or they just courier it ?

H4 scheduling in mumbai

well, the vfs website does show the dates availability in the next week; however, it also asks for DS156, DS157, etc. to reach VFS center min 5 working days before the interview date.

How can we ensure this? Especially, because the applicant does not reside in a big city where the VFS office is located; it is gonna take atleast 6-7 days for the documents to reach the VFS office if couriered from the place ofthe applicant's current residence.

Further the dates are available only for the next week or so; and there is not enough time to make sure that the courier reaches VFS office.

One alternate would be to visit mumbai and drop these forms five working days before the interview date; stay in mumbai for the week or so, attend the interview and then wait for a few more days for pick-up of passport (again because the DHL does not deliver to the applicant's place of residence) and then leave mumbai. I can't understand why the consulate\VFS would want the applicant to suffer such hardships\expenses. Is there another alternative?

It is a somewhat strange requirement peculiar only to mumbai consulate. Now does anyone know if excptions are allowed. VFS would rather the interview slots go waste than relax this requirement.

Does anyone know if VFS even opens the envelope (containing the various forms and supporting documents) that was couriered to them ?

Thanks for any help from those who have undergone this entire procedure in mumbai.

SB-2004 said:
When does the embassy return the passport after the interview ? Can I pick it up same day or next day? Or they just courier it ?

You can pick-up on same day at around 5 PM

marriage certificate

on immihelp.com, it says that marriage must be registered under hindu marriage act of 1955. However, the marriage cert issued states that the marriage was registered by the registrar under the maharashtra regulation of marriage bureaus and registration of marriages act 1998.

is the act of 1998 an amended form of the hindu marriage act of 1955? anybody else got a marriage certificate from maharashtra state under the act of 1998?

thanks for the help.

tusharvk said:
on immihelp.com, it says that marriage must be registered under hindu marriage act of 1955. However, the marriage cert issued states that the marriage was registered by the registrar under the maharashtra regulation of marriage bureaus and registration of marriages act 1998.

is the act of 1998 an amended form of the hindu marriage act of 1955? anybody else got a marriage certificate from maharashtra state under the act of 1998?

thanks for the help.

I do not rememeber what it says on my marriage certificate but I got the marriage certificate from maharashtra. I got it from court in Mumbai and my wife got H4 stamping twice without any problems. So I guess as long as you have valid marriage certificate you should be good.

As long as you have your marraige certificate from any state of india and you have the photo's with it you should have no problem.

well, the vfs website does show the dates availability in the next week; however, it also asks for DS156, DS157, etc. to reach VFS center min 5 working days before the interview date.

How can we ensure this? Especially, because the applicant does not reside in a big city where the VFS office is located; it is gonna take atleast 6-7 days for the documents to reach the VFS office if couriered from the place ofthe applicant's current residence.
**** you can scan all the docuemts email it to your freind / relative in Bombay who can drop it off at VFS, tirupathi apts, Worli, Mumbai

Further the dates are available only for the next week or so; and there is not enough time to make sure that the courier reaches VFS office.

One alternate would be to visit mumbai and drop these forms five working days before the interview date; stay in mumbai for the week or so, attend the interview and then wait for a few more days for pick-up of passport (again because the DHL does not deliver to the applicant's place of residence) and then leave mumbai. I can't understand why the consulate\VFS would want the applicant to suffer such hardships\expenses. Is there another alternative?
**** you can collect the passport from VFS office the same day evening at no extra cost. I did the same thing during my stamping 2 months ago.

It is a somewhat strange requirement peculiar only to mumbai consulate. Now does anyone know if excptions are allowed. VFS would rather the interview slots go waste than relax this requirement.
**** i dont think you want to get into the exception case and stuff

Does anyone know if VFS even opens the envelope (containing the various forms and supporting documents) that was couriered to them ?
**** yes it does open the envelope and the docuemtns in te format the VO wants it to be in.

Thanks for any help from those who have undergone this entire procedure in mumbai.[/QUOTE]
**** I have written down my expeirience go back on this thread for about 4 weeks

thank you for the responses to my questions.
I do not think scanning the documents is an option as they would need original DS156 & 157; and I would expect them to require signed DS156.
paradkaram said:

**** you can scan all the docuemts email it to your freind / relative in Bombay who can drop it off at VFS, tirupathi apts, Worli, Mumbai

**** you can collect the passport from VFS office the same day evening at no extra cost. I did the same thing during my stamping 2 months ago.

**** i dont think you want to get into the exception case and stuff

**** yes it does open the envelope and the docuemtns in te format the VO wants it to be in.

Thanks for any help from those who have undergone this entire procedure in mumbai.
**** I have written down my expeirience go back on this thread for about 4 weeks[/QUOTE]