H1 Visa Experience Chennai Consulate

I129 and LCA

Hi All,

I jsut receied my papers from the lawyer and he just copied the I-129 and LCA and mailed it to me. I read in earlier discussion on this website that you need ORIGINAL documents or LAWYER CERTIFIED COPIES - but the Delhi Consulate does not specifies that.
Can anyone who recently got a new H-1 stamped guide me on this requirement.
Thanks,

Jyo22

Do we have to submit all documents..

Hello friends,

Please clarify my doubt.

Totally I had/have 4 USA visas processed.

First H1 visa in 1997 which was not used and was stamped in my passport at chennai USA Consulate.
Second L1 visa from my indian company which was stamped in my passport at US Consulate chennai and expired in april 2003.
Third L1 to H1 which was not stamped and expired in june 2003.
This was processed in USA.
Fourth H1 extension which was approved from june 2003 to oct 2004 and was processed in USA.

So should I submit all the I797/LCA etc documents of all these 4 visas (H1/L1/H1/H1 EXT) to the US chennai consulate or should I only submit the current H1 extended visa documents (I797/LCA).

Please throw in your experiences/opinion.

Thanks

Lakesuperior

Re: I129 and LCA

Hi Jyo22
How many days did it took to recive the papers from BCIS after it has been approved. Does it take average postal time?
Website say it takes 14 days to recive the papers in hand?.

Please let me know
Jay

Originally posted by jyo22
Hi All,

I jsut receied my papers from the lawyer and he just copied the I-129 and LCA and mailed it to me. I read in earlier discussion on this website that you need ORIGINAL documents or LAWYER CERTIFIED COPIES - but the Delhi Consulate does not specifies that.
Can anyone who recently got a new H-1 stamped guide me on this requirement.
Thanks,

Jyo22

Re: Do we have to submit all documents..

I think you have to submit only the current I797. I had almost the similar situation few years ago, I was on L1 and then moved to H1. I submitted only my H1 I797 for stamping. Now again I am going for extension stamping, this time I will submit only the current I797. Hope this helps

Originally posted by Lakesuperior
Hello friends,

Please clarify my doubt.

Totally I had/have 4 USA visas processed.

First H1 visa in 1997 which was not used and was stamped in my passport at chennai USA Consulate.
Second L1 visa from my indian company which was stamped in my passport at US Consulate chennai and expired in april 2003.
Third L1 to H1 which was not stamped and expired in june 2003.
This was processed in USA.
Fourth H1 extension which was approved from june 2003 to oct 2004 and was processed in USA.

So should I submit all the I797/LCA etc documents of all these 4 visas (H1/L1/H1/H1 EXT) to the US chennai consulate or should I only submit the current H1 extended visa documents (I797/LCA).

Please throw in your experiences/opinion.

Thanks

Lakesuperior

My experience at chennai

Hey guys,
My experience at chennai consulate for the h1 revalidation(extension) was very smooth. Both my wife and myself had an appointment for personal interview at 8.30am on jan 5th. The officer called us for the interview and asked us these few questions

1. Since how many years are u working in the present company?.
2. What is the annual turnover of the company ?.
3. What is ur role in the company ?

All this was done in around 5minutes and the officer issued us the visa ( both h1 for myself and h4 for my wife).

we were out of the consulate around 9.30am. we got our passports the next day through courier.

Overall it was a very pleasant experience at chennai consulate.

FYI. Plz do not take any bags/cell phones/water bottles etc etc . Take only the required documents in a folder. They will not allow any other items into the consulate.

Regards,
inUSA2000

Diff in W-2 form and LCA ...

Hello Guys/Gals,

I am planning to go to india for 4 weeks vacation may be next month or in May and there is a difference of 2.4K $ in wages between W-2 and the LCA document.
LCA shows around 53,400 $ and my W-2 shows around 51k $.

When I go for stamping, will there be any problem??

Also may I know currently what dates are open for interview appointments with USA Chennai Consulate??

I appreciate your help and opinions in this issue.

Thanks
Lakesuperior

RA

jyo.. make sure you carry copies of your pay stubs for your Assistantship.. they sometimes ask for those to prove you did not exceed the 20 hours per week restriction.

Also anything to that effect from your advisor or Prof. for whom you were working.

Exp certificates..

Helllo freinds,

Should we have to produce experience certificates for visa stamping at usa consulate in chennai when we go for interview.
I have lost one of my earlier company's exp cert and I have one exp letter given by my colleague who is still in that company which is signed (affidavited) before a lawyer in USA by my freind. and my friend is still in usa from that company.

Please clarify my doubt .Will it create any problems.

Thanks
Lakesuperior

Time to get visa stamping in chennai consulate

Hi

My brother got his H1 visa extension(he's within 6 yr limit).

He went to india on a 4 week vacation and applied for his visa stamping in consulate,chennai around feb 1st.

till today he hasn't got his visa.
When he applied they said in 2 weeks he'll get it.

Can any of u let me know how long it takes to get stamping?

Any of u or ur friends stuck like this?

Thanks
ha_hk

Re: Time to get visa stamping in chennai consulate

Originally posted by ha_hk
Hi

My brother got his H1 visa extension(he's within 6 yr limit).

He went to india on a 4 week vacation and applied for his visa stamping in consulate,chennai around feb 1st.

till today he hasn't got his visa.
When he applied they said in 2 weeks he'll get it.

Can any of u let me know how long it takes to get stamping?

Any of u or ur friends stuck like this?

Thanks
ha_hk

Did he drop at dropbox or attended the chennai consulate interview??
usually dropbox applications takes anywhere between 2 weeks to 8 weeks, if he attend the interview and if officer issues the visa, he should receive it with in 2-3 days

Thanks

Re: Re: Time to get visa stamping in chennai consulate

Originally posted by veerudu
Did he drop at dropbox or attended the chennai consulate interview??
usually dropbox applications takes anywhere between 2 weeks to 8 weeks, if he attend the interview and if officer issues the visa, he should receive it with in 2-3 days

Thanks

He didn't know that for H1 stamping he can get interview.

So he just did dropbox. And that seems to be the problem now.

He didn't fly last week so the ticket is almost gone and his employer needs him to be here for atleast next week.

Anything can be done to expediate the process?

Thanks
ha_hk

Re: Re: Re: Time to get visa stamping in chennai consulate

He didn't know that for H1 stamping he can get interview.

So he just did dropbox. And that seems to be the problem now.

He didn't fly last week so the ticket is almost gone and his employer needs him to be here for atleast next week.

Anything can be done to expediate the process?

Thanks
ha_hk

Since its been more than 3 weeks, I think he will receive it anytime now (assuming he submitted ALL the required documents and met all other visa requirements). I am not sure if you can do anything at this point, you may try calling the consulate and enquire about it, if you are lucky enough you endup talking to a nice person who listen all your concerns and see if he can help you..
Good Luck..

Re: Re: Re: Re: Time to get visa stamping in chennai consulate

Since its been more than 3 weeks, I think he will receive it anytime now (assuming he submitted ALL the required documents and met all other visa requirements). I am not sure if you can do anything at this point, you may try calling the consulate and enquire about it, if you are lucky enough you endup talking to a nice person who listen all your concerns and see if he can help you..
Good Luck..

thanks veerudu

we r hoping the same and waiting.

I thought we could only do dropbox process for H1.

These days can we get an appointment and do personal interview process for H1 stamping?

Thanks
ha_hk

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Time to get visa stamping in chennai consulate

thanks veerudu

we r hoping the same and waiting.

I thought we could only do dropbox process for H1.

These days can we get an appointment and do personal interview process for H1 stamping?

Thanks
ha_hk

US consulate in Chennai (all other US consulates in India presumably) changed the visa applying process around May 2003.
drop box can be used only if the person is above 60 yrs of age or the person have the similar visa stamped in the passport..
All other candidates (including new H1's) must attend interview to get the visa. Most ppl who travel to India and wanted to get H1 extension stamping prefers direct interview (even though they are eligible to use dropbox) because of lengthy processing times.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Time to get visa stamping in chennai consulate

US consulate in Chennai (all other US consulates in India presumably) changed the visa applying process around May 2003.
drop box can be used only if the person is above 60 yrs of age or the person have the similar visa stamped in the passport..
All other candidates (including new H1's) must attend interview to get the visa. Most ppl who travel to India and wanted to get H1 extension stamping prefers direct interview (even though they are eligible to use dropbox) because of lengthy processing times.

My brother's stamping got refused cuz the photo was not according to their rules. He just got the status tonight.
yet to get the details in courier.

Wil they ask him to just bring in new photo and continue the processing with some priority?

Or
he's passport will be returned and he has to file again from start?

Please if anyone has any idea let us know.

Thanks
ha_hk

He will be receiving a letter in 221 ( g) under that it will be mentioned. If the reason only due to photo then u can sent all the papers along with DS 156 , DS 157 with the new photograph.
all the best

Originally posted by prabca
He will be receiving a letter in 221 ( g) under that it will be mentioned. If the reason only due to photo then u can sent all the papers along with DS 156 , DS 157 with the new photograph.
all the best

So he has to start the whole process again and wait for another 20 days?

Please let me know

Thanks
ha_hk

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by prabca
all the best

He'll be sending the correct photos on monday. His case is revalidation of H1B

How long will it take to get the stamping after he send the photos?

He's badly needed back at work by his employer in US.

Please somebody let me know.

Thanks
ha_hk