H1 goin on maternity leave

alpmathur

Registered Users (C)
Hi! I am currently on h4 and have applied for h1. I would receive my H1 in october. I am 5 months pregnant now and plan to go on maternity leave.
1) Would goin on maternity leave without pay, immediately after getting h1, make me out of status?
2) If i work for 2 months and then go for maternity leave without pay after having the baby, would I become out of status in that case too?
3) Are there any rules pertaining to maternity or sick leave for H1 employees?
Thanks in advance

alpmathur said:
Hi! I am currently on h4 and have applied for h1. I would receive my H1 in october. I am 5 months pregnant now and plan to go on maternity leave.
1) Would goin on maternity leave without pay, immediately after getting h1, make me out of status?
2) If i work for 2 months and then go for maternity leave without pay after having the baby, would I become out of status in that case too?
Thanks in advance
Maternity leave is allowed to H1B holder(not going to out of status). I do not have link with me now, but there is FAQ in USCIS site about it.

USCIS says this on the website:
Must an H-1B alien be working at all times?

As long as the employer/employee relationship exists, an H-1B alien is still in status. An H-1B alien may work in full or part-time employment and remain in status. An H-1B alien may also be on vacation, sick/maternity/paternity leave, on strike, or otherwise inactive without affecting his or her status.

but it does not specify anything about leave without pay...this is what i am confused about

alpmathur said:
Thanks in advance

My wife was on H1 when she stayed at home on maternity leave for 5+months (2 months FMLA and rest unpaid). She started the job after the leave. She works for a large company served by a reputed immigration firm. They would have given some advice if there is risk of her going out of status.

I am not lawyer so I would ask you to check with your company's immigration lawyers about this.