> Guys, let us stop this discussion. : ??? Why ?

Originally posted by orca
...i agree holeheartedly (!) that OT discussions could only live like parasites on this otherwise immigration site ...
i seriously do feel that there are vested interests at work here. and no, for crying out loud, i am not sankrityayan incognito!!!

I agree with your stance generally. The parasitic reference is a bit harsh, but it brings a good point. Anyone ever stop and wonder why is it that the off-topic threads have the highest participation? (The answer lies in the human need for socializing)

Its reasonably obvious that you are not sankrityayan, but the same cannot be said of this "New Member" whose attack/logic style appears to mirror that of gcard2002.

For the record, I think Sankrityayan you went too far, some of your latter comments are personal insult types. The ones before you were logical and methodical, and that makes great ingredients to a good debate. I realize that you are not the sole party in degenerating towards a sandbox type argument, but I always felt that (and continuously try not to fall into the trap of) lowering oneself to the level of one's opponent. Let that person be the only one to establish their lack of class/intelligence/civilization. I know your style is different (I remember my somewhat negative impression the first time I have seen your posts), almost provocative at first, but becomes even enjoyable once one learns enough about you to understand you. Hence my support of not banning OT threads. One does not "get to know" people online without personal-type interaction.

Edit : Fixed my Freudian slip :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Clearly there is no more to be said on the issue itself, and just as clearly, I am guilty of allowing myself to be drawn into a mud-slinging match, a bit too willingly I might add, from what began originally as an expression of pure outrage.

These forums, while being very informative and useful from an I-485 point of view, are rather depressing and somewhat to my surprise, a bit mediocre as well. I am like that character Salieri in the movie Amadeus, who recognizes and delights in excellence but cannot, try as hard as he might, rise above the mediocre himself. If you have faced this brutal reality for as long as I did, you also learn to cultivate and nurture, ever so provocatively, the few random flashes of talent that streak across your horizon. That is how I derive my moments of 'nausea' as so deliciously put by Sartre. When someone, especially a figure of authority, unappreciatively intrudes into this alternative world, existing within these forums but on a parallel plane, to impose order and nip in the bud the formation of a thought, that though very rarely, can serve as the butterfly which flaps its wings in Venezuela only to start an atmospheric avalanche of events that results in a typhoon in HongKong, I get awfully agitated. It is like a violation of a sacred unwritten pact.

Obviously, I have lost my stamina for this verbal duel, especially because it is so declasse. If it offered even the slightest bit of intellectual stimulation, I may have gotten a second wind for it, but, .... never mind. I am now out of it and ready to move on.

pr: i partially agree with you. for the rest, you might be interested to rebut tombaan's rebuttal...

sirz: i don't agree on the parasitic paradigm too closely myself, which is why the reference to the hole in my heart... in fact, i obviously can't speak for sankrit, and wouldn't step on his toes, but i also find it interesting that you understand (like i do) that it's his style to be a bit provocative, but i believe only as a means to initiate conversations. gcard and pr, the man / woman has apologized and tried to be logical, so why don't we move on to better and higher things? i, for one, come here for more reasons than getting assistance and support on my way to green card. sankrit, pork, sirz and a few other 'palm'fuls are some of the posters that i enjoy the most learning from. if i were ONLY getting immigration advice, i'd look for only the approved/AP/EAD links. that, my friends, would be sooooo boring. i'd rather stop coming here before that.

one other thing: we're mammals, right? and although we've evolved from egg-laying interdisciplinary subjects the kinds of platypuses and echidnas, i find it disheartening (there's a cliche!) for us to go our 485 ways with the web-footed, egg-laying, near-blind duck-billed platitude that waddles along.

no offense to anybody, but let's not stalk, sniff or snuffle out any discussions, and find our nirvana in the 485 that's eluding us.