> Guys, let us stop this discussion. : ??? Why ?

I must concede that consistency is necessary for an equitable implementation of the rules. I think what we have here is equity meeting with reality. The moderator obviously does not have time to read everything. I suspect that he reads a lot but also relies on feedback/complaints from other users.

Therefore, I think that there will inevitibly be some selective application of the rules. Just like not everybody who breaks the speed limit gets caught. It ain't perfect but it's the best we can do with the resources at our disposal.

FunkyJunky

Well said FunkyJunky. We all agreed when we signed up that we will agree to abide by it's rule. Now someone wants to challenge those rules, not understanding that violating those rules will create a mess here. Some people are more interested in excercising their right to post any topic messages rather than understanding that this portal has a specific purpose. We have BBC, CNN, India-today for discussing such topics but we can't expect to post immigration issues/ tracking at those web sites.

Some members here put strange arguments but they wouldn't tell us what prevents them form browsing other forums while keeping this forum open for viewing. This is not some stock trading site where you have to constantly monitor BCIS approvals to get our approvals. Things don't happen that fast anyway.

I am a member of this forum for a long time and so does some members here. Some of the members gathered enough information here that would help their cases and now they want to chat about other issues while there are new memebers who would like to just see immigration issues.

GCGUARD…when people think that this is not an interesting/informative thread than why the heck they are coming again and again and posting their views?? I think they have better things to do than merely sitting in opposition and beating the DRUMS endlessly? If you have read this thread, which is soo very popular, majority of the members found it to be interesting, than why for the sake of just FEW learned members it should be stopped. If they don’t like it, don’t read it. Simple!!! But just shouting from the rooftop unnecessarily will not stop this. Period.

The thread in question was already opened. So please stop the discussion in this thread and let it die.

ar888...

the discussion in this thread has moved beyond the closure of a particular thread. people are now exchanging general views on what should and should not be posted in these forums. when everyone feels that they have had their say and there is nothing more to add, the thread will die away.

so why ask people to stop discussion in this thread?

Not to stir the pot, but

I think this thread has evolved beyond the original posters purpose, into the presentation of points from two camps : the freedom fighters and the law abiders. I believe this is a great thread, because any logically thinking participant will sooner or later realize that the acceptance of the combination, and peaceful coexistence of the ideals of these two camps is THE CORE requirement to truly becoming an "american". Attempt to stiffle one OR the other is, to quote Sankrityayan, "so third world".

PS. IMHO, a compromise that allows the freedom fighters to express themselves, and is acceptable by the law abiders, is the best possible resolution to this difference of opinion. Alternatively, we could debate until the cows come home ...

Originally posted by FunkyJunky
I must concede that consistency is necessary for an equitable implementation of the rules. I think what we have here is equity meeting with reality. The moderator obviously does not have time to read everything. I suspect that he reads a lot but also relies on feedback/complaints from other users.

Therefore, I think that there will inevitibly be some selective application of the rules. Just like not everybody who breaks the speed limit gets caught. It ain't perfect but it's the best we can do with the resources at our disposal.

It is interesting how you seem to want to give the moderator the benefit of doubt. However, you dont really think moderators need to read everything to know that a given thread is off-topic, do you? As you are no doubt aware, there are threads that have SPAM right in their names, and scores more that, just by what is in their titles, are excellent candidates for further investigation by the moderator to establish their relevance to I-485s.

Needless to say, I am not an advocate of the closure of any thread unless it is offensive in the extreme. But, if like you say, that is what we signed up to, then it is rather a stretch to explain the presence of so many off-topic threads (using the same strict definition that was used to close the ".... would you still immigrate" thread) on these forums. Remember, we are talking about all the forums here because, using your logic, all members have to adhere to the same policy.

One may find differences in the way the rules are implemented by different policemen, but it then becomes the right of the affected to be able to seek parity in the implementation of the rules.

In fact, you would be hard pressed to find the two prior thread closures - threads that have garnered members interest and are related to immigration - in the past before the "Patel Motel" incident. Nobody on these forums was too disappointed to see that thread closed. But I am afraid that gave people the wrong idea in that it allowed closure to be seen by some as a viable solution to control speech whenever their own personal views disagreed with views posted by others. As you should have noticed by now, it is not really about off-topic, but the problem seems to be about show-offs and posts that apparently attempted to make fun of other posts/posters.

In my opinion, elementary prudence dictates that a moderator always keep in mind the motives of the informants demanding closure of threads to make sure that they are not being used by a few unscrupulous members that seek to impose their will on others.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the moderator is doing an excellent job of asking people not to post threads that are irrelevant. We are not here to practice democracy, we are here to participate in immigration issues. The idea of posting issues like hotels, reservations etc... in an immigration forum is as bad as going to a hardware store and finding vegetables over there. It's as simple as that. "Third world mentality" was quoted by once here. We all know what ails the third world. It is the people who agree on a constitution, set of rules but some of them think that they can break it. We all agreed when we signed with this forum that we post only relevant messages. Now to argue or encourage others to post irrelevant messages after getting access to it means breaking the rules of this forum, which reflects the third world mindset. Some of the guys even asked others to leave this forum if they don't like any topic discussions. Question is, why us? We agreed with the forum rules and we abide by them. We don't have any problem with that. Only few members here are having problems with the rules set by the moderator. If they think that their freedom is curtailed by such rules, they should be the one thinking if this forum is the right one to express their opinions freely. :D :D :D

Re: FunkyJunky

Originally posted by gcard2002
Well said FunkyJunky. We all agreed when we signed up that we will agree to abide by it's rule. Now someone wants to challenge those rules, not understanding that violating those rules will create a mess here. Some people are more interested in excercising their right to post any topic messages rather than understanding that this portal has a specific purpose. We have BBC, CNN, India-today for discussing such topics but we can't expect to post immigration issues/ tracking at those web sites.

Some members here put strange arguments but they wouldn't tell us what prevents them form browsing other forums while keeping this forum open for viewing.

I have cited my motivations for visiting these boards in an earlier post. In case you have also forgotten this, more than a dozen members felt motivated enough to share some of their very private thoughts in that thread that you lobbied so hard to suppress. And even after all these arguments and discussions, not one of them have suggested that it was creating a mess. So quit your bitching and move on. I am sure you will have plenty of other opportunities to resurrect your failed lobbying effort.

This is not some stock trading site where you have to constantly monitor BCIS approvals to get our approvals. Things don't happen that fast anyway.

I am a member of this forum for a long time and so does some members here. Some of the members gathered enough information here that would help their cases and now they want to chat about other issues while there are new memebers who would like to just see immigration issues.

You have of-course, behaved with admirable restraint and responsibility and clearly your long experience in these forums is the reason why you were able to achieve this. By the way, thanks for letting us know about stock trading sites. Wow, it is really perceptive of you to have discovered that they allow continuous monitornig. I guess you are well on your path to the day-trader hall of fame! Good luck with that and please spare us the crocodile tears for new members. You seem to assume that just because they are new members, they are incapable of browsing and finding what they need. Unlike you, most of them probably know that there is a search function that allows you to search these forums by topic, keyword etc. failing which they can post their question as a separate thread, a right you seem to have exercised frequently in the past.

I think the moderator is doing an excellent job of asking people not to post threads that are irrelevant. We are not here to practice democracy, we are here to participate in immigration issues.

.... under your tutelage and direction, no doubt!

The idea of posting issues like hotels, reservations etc... in an immigration forum is as bad as going to a hardware store and finding vegetables over there. It's as simple as that. "Third world mentality" was quoted by once here. We all know what ails the third world. It is the people who agree on a constitution, set of rules but some of them think that they can break it.

And some are forever looking for an opportunity to take over control, by hook or crook, like Chandrika today, and you, a few days back!

if the opportunit We all agreed when we signed with this forum that we post only relevant messages. Now to argue or encourage others to post irrelevant messages after getting access to it means breaking the rules of this forum, which reflects the third world mindset. Some of the guys even asked others to leave this forum if they don't like any topic discussions. Question is, why us? We agreed with the forum rules and we abide by them. We don't have any problem with that. Only few members here are having problems with the rules set by the moderator. If they think that their freedom is curtailed by such rules, they should be the one thinking if this forum is the right one to express their opinions freely. :D :D :D

Have you ever come across the word logic, or you think you can ignore all that does not suit your argument? It is quite pathetic.

To accuse that a moderator works under the direction of a participant is a bit weird. I doubt you would believe your own accusation when posting it and expecting others to believe it.

Coming to logic, yeah! you make great logic over there, asking for entertainment and quality time at an immigration portal. What could be more pathetic than that.

Guys, why are you argueing on this issue so much. Going by democratic norms more number of people here are in favour of continuing the topic. In democracy majority can amend the rule. If there is a rule in this forum that says we cannot post non-immigration matters, let us amend it.

All said and done the topic was fantastic and it deserves continuation. Those who are not interested, please do not open it.

Good luck !

To accuse that a moderator works under the direction of a participant is a bit weird. I doubt you would believe your own accusation when posting it and expecting others to believe it.

Coming to logic, yeah! you make great logic over there, asking for entertainment and quality time at an immigration portal. What could be more pathetic than that.

Reading is fundamental; I did not accuse the moderator of working under your direction. I accused you of being the interloper, of trying to influence her/him in the way this forum is moderated.

In case it did not register, logic is about taking all the facts and drawing a conclusion from it, not ignoring whatever evidence that does not fit your conclusion. You cannot repeat a falsity and hope for it to become true by the mere act of rote.

gcard2002

gcard2002,
If you are smart enough, you wouldn't be wasting time talking to a rude case like Sankrityayan. It is highly inappropiate of him to change the rules of this forum just like that. He should have approached the forum moderators or administrators requesting for allowing any topic subjects before posting it. He not only failed to do it, on the other hand he accused the moderator too. That smacks arrogance. Whether there is a merit to his case or not is immaterial. What matters is, did he follow the procedure before doing it. If few people object to seeing other topics on this portal, he should have understood that but he won't.
Anyway, the man is looking for someone to share his problems, his feelings and his emotions. So be it. :( Give the man your sympathy and move one. As for me, I would just stop posting any topic issues if every one would follow.

guys

atleast this forum is more democratic. you should the forum on tsc jaxen their rules with an iron hand.
here atleast ar has opened the message link and was willing to change. jaxen just clamps down and if you talk to much threatens of expelling you from the board. so if you guys on this link are india we are like afganistan....:D :D :D
i am all for what sans** said freedom and little bit leeway is required. this is 485 forum but still people pose messages related to 140 travel visa etc

take it easy

i've been trying hard not to post at this particular discussion, but couldn't help but speaking out again. i agree holeheartedly (!) that OT discussions could only live like parasites on this otherwise immigration site. however, and this is a V-E-R-Y valid point, and probably the only key point here, is that OT's have ALWAYS been allowed uninhibited dominance unless they bordered on the personally-offensive and / or calling-names kind.

we're here to get our 485's approved - in the process, why not infuse our gray matters with a few other reflections on life too? is knowledge that dangerous? or is a discussion that unhealthy? ...especially since this would make us a bit less ignorant of issues that plague the immigrant communities? or is it because this may knock us off of our anti-Copenican mindset? or maybe i'm just here to show off!

pr: btw, i thought you were being real nice to call a person a rude case. i won't take sides, but i think the peson in question was trying his best to explain the matter in question by means of all available logic at his disposal.

i seriously do feel that there are vested interests at work here. and no, for crying out loud, i am not sankrityayan incognito!!!

orca

seems like you are someone with wisdom. May be you can enlighten us and tell how some of the poor words chosen by Sankrityayan against fellow members constitute an effort to explain things in a logical way. The moderators for forums under other service center wouldn't let people start threads that are not immigration related. I see a reason for that, do you ?

I think the moderator is doing an excellent job of asking people not to post threads that are irrelevant. We are not here to practice democracy, we are here to participate in immigration issues. The idea of posting issues like hotels, reservations etc... in an immigration forum is as bad as going to a hardware store and finding vegetables over there. It's as simple as that. "Third world mentality" was quoted by once here. We all know what ails the third world. It is the people who agree on a constitution, set of rules but some of them think that they can break it. We all agreed when we signed with this forum that we post only relevant messages. Now to argue or encourage others to post irrelevant messages after getting access to it means breaking the rules of this forum, which reflects the third world mindset. Some of the guys even asked others to leave this forum if they don't like any topic discussions. Question is, why us? We agreed with the forum rules and we abide by them. We don't have any problem with that. Only few members here are having problems with the rules set by the moderator. If they think that their freedom is curtailed by such rules, they should be the one thinking if this forum is the right one to express their opinions freely. :D :D :D

When did you become the spokesman/representative of any group? Or is that a royal "we"?

- It appears that, despite your collective claim to the contrary, YOU don't really know "what ails the third world".
- I might be wrong, but from what I recall reading it was "don't read the THREAD" not "leave the FORUM"
- If people really only wanted to buy the specialty of a store (ie. no vegetables in the hardware store), then why is Walmart (and other multi-specialty item) stores owning the consumer market? Because your assertion is not based in reality, thats why. Its far more convenient for people to do one-stop-shopping whether its consumables, or immigration information. Besides, it is human nature to seek social interaction. You appear to be suggesting that one use this forum to talk to (as an example) Porkchop about immigration issues, but then find another forum that he is on to discuss other things. How silly and impractical is that?
- It is really the sign of narrow mindedness and immaturity (don't take this personally, I was once in this group too--most normal people are, and eventually grow out of it) to think that reality is black and white. As your life experience accumulates, you'll find that nearly nothing is as clear-cut as "here is the rule cast in stone, you are either right or wrong". Even killing a human being is not governed by a clear rule cast in stone. Not only it is in some cases quite legal (think self-defense, military conflict) but it is the VERY action the law takes on certain occasions (execution of convicts)

"We are not here to practice democracy, we are here to participate in immigration issues" Extend your sentence to "immigration to the country that is the foundation of democracy". I hope this helps you see the humor in your assertion.

There is a good old saying "History is written by the winners". I'd like to modify it and present it to you as a mental exercise : "Rules are written by the winners". Think of the implication of that.

Respectfully,