Greencards to be revoked?

Perhaps, I guess it will depend on the problem found, when the crime was committed and a bunch of other factors. The worse case would be if it is a deportable offense as the article mentioned. I find it funny that they want to do this now that the fees just went up :(

Came across this:

http://www.tcdailyplanet.net/articl...d-affect-two-million-permanent-residents.html

Does this mean that all greencards that did not go through namecheck will be revoked?

How did you come up with that idea from reading the article? The article states that there is a proposal by USCIS to implement a mandatory renewal policy for Green Cards without expiry dates issued before 1989. It has nothing to do with current name checks. They want to implement this policy to bring all Green card holders into compliance with a 10 year expiry limit.

Well, the title is a bit sensationalist, and I seem to know some about it from recent experience. Anyway, I think the post is valid and relevant. However, I think it should say if background checks fail, not only name check. There could be that fingerprints find a criminal background, it could be name check, it could be IBIS. Bottom line the issue is that immigrants with this kind of old style non-expiry date green cards are going to see the government looking for dirt under their fingernails, and that possibly some of them might get their green cards revoked.

Well, the title is a bit sensationalist, and I seem to know some about it from recent experience. Anyway, I think the post is valid and relevant. However, I think it should say if background checks fail, not only name check. There could be that fingerprints find a criminal background, it could be name check, it could be IBIS. Bottom line the issue is that immigrants with this kind of old style non-expiry date green cards are going to see the government looking for dirt under their fingernails, and that possibly some of them might get their green cards revoked.

Again, it's to bring every Green Card holder on the same 10 year expiry limit and same playing field. If you have a criminal background then of course that will set off all kinds of bells and whistles with USCIS. As for unjustified name checks or background delays by the USCIS , there are ways to deal with those. However, that doesn't stop the USCIS from using the "National Security" trump card when desired.

The title follows the title of the original article. The question is, are they recalling all greencards without security checks or just those without expiration? If security is the real issue, it makes no sense to recall only those without expiration. What this will do to the namecheck backlog is another story.

They are recalling only the green cards that don't have expiry date. The other ones with expiry date will have a background check anytime their 10 year limit finishes and one applies for renewal of the green card.

This is certainly going to add additional strain on the FBI name check. Which could affect the N-400 applicants, or applicants for other immigration benefits. However, for the green card holders the name check delay should be of no consequence, as long as they have a passport stamp or any other proof of permanent resident status.

This whole thread is about Green Cards that were issued until the 1980s - these Green Cards did not have any expiration date.

Green Cards issued afterwards have a ten year validity and should be renewed after ten years. Many Green Card holders usually meet the eligibility requirements to apply for citizenship before the ten years have elapsed.

To address your question, if you receive the Green Card, it will have a ten-year validity and won't fall into the category of Green Cards without expiration date.

This is based on the assumption that you have not ever had a Green Card until now ("I didnt apply for green card till now" and not "I didnt apply for green card renewal till now")

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what mnudvr means, he just applied for a passport. The comment doesn't seem to make sense.

120 days is an unreasonably short time frame though. USCIS does not have the capacity to handle the million+ applications in 120 days.