• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Green-Card holders who've been allowed entry to the US after a long absence-Post your experience

Ok. Is this something I can do after entering? Or will this come up when I'm trying try to enter USA? If it's something I can sort after entering, that's fine. Just wondering will this become an obstacle at the point of entry?

Thank you. So, I simply book my flight and present GC and passport at the border? I was under the impression that being away from USA so much would likely cause me a refusal at the point of entry. I appreciate your reply.

You may end up not being questioned this time around, however if you continue to spend more time outside the US and only return for a couple of weeks, you will eventually run into the situation of your GC being taken away and you'll need to face an immigration judge if you want it back.

You can file your taxes now, even if they are late. If you originally entered in 2015, that means filing taxes for 2015 and 2016.

Having filed tax returns is a way of showing your intent to live in the US and a way of showing that you take the obligations of being an LPR seriously.

Thank you. So, I simply book my flight and present GC and passport at the border? I was under the impression that being away from USA so much would likely cause me a refusal at the point of entry. I appreciate your reply.

Question, will you be going in on a one-way ticket, or do you plan for this to be another temporary stay?

Helo everyone,i
I have to ask one thing. I enetered US on 20 th feb 2017 and recevied my green card after around 4 weeks. I returned back to my country on 25th march 2017. I am a medical doctor and my final exmas in my country is around 3 months later. Then I have to appear for 3licensing exams for US licensing. Two of my three exams I can finish in my country or the US and the third in US. First xam I m planning to take in nepal and rest two in usa. The plplanning is tomcomplete next 2 XAMS in 6'months and the money earned IN THE PERIOD OF 6 months can just relese some of the pressure while during mynnextnphasbof job amd work at US.THE 6 months I can work and study as well not worrying abut food and apartments hassle in US.and I plan to return permanently to Us aroun last of januray 2018 with a one way ticket with full intensin to stay and finish the rest 2'xams and geeting slelected for post graduation matching after my application...the only reason I am goin to stay 10 months from US outside in my home country is to earn imore money which I can use to settle in us for few days...
My question is does that first return home to US after 10'months is gonna make me questioning or other severe consequenses.I plan to return with single one way flight and stay their permanently as long as I can.
Its a bit more than 6 months thats I am worried.....

Sorry to add a few more stuffs too how will it affect my naturalisation 5 years later....
Ir in my case it will take 6 years or despite that fact iwas
Away for almost 10 months away on my first activation trip and went back to nepal to finding h the bending works. The is the only trip which is going to be more three months.
So I wish if my case will be granted naturalisation at 4 yesrs 9 months forgetting and forgivving giving time for first and the big final move....
Or my 1 almost year is lost n jeopadrized...

Helo everyone,i
I have to ask one thing. I enetered US on 20 th feb 2017 and recevied my green card after around 4 weeks. I returned back to my country on 25th march 2017. I am a medical doctor and my final exmas in my country is around 3 months later. Then I have to appear for 3licensing exams for US licensing. Two of my three exams I can finish in my country or the US and the third in US. First xam I m planning to take in nepal and rest two in usa. The plplanning is tomcomplete next 2 XAMS in 6'months and the money earned IN THE PERIOD OF 6 months can just relese some of the pressure while during mynnextnphasbof job amd work at US.THE 6 months I can work and study as well not worrying abut food and apartments hassle in US.and I plan to return permanently to Us aroun last of januray 2018 with a one way ticket with full intensin to stay and finish the rest 2'xams and geeting slelected for post graduation matching after my application...the only reason I am goin to stay 10 months from US outside in my home country is to earn imore money which I can use to settle in us for few days...
My question is does that first return home to US after 10'months is gonna make me questioning or other severe consequenses.I plan to return with single one way flight and stay their permanently as long as I can.
Its a bit more than 6 months thats I am worried.....

They may ask why you stayed away for so long, you can explain you needed the some time to tie up some loose ends at home. They understand new immigrants need to go back home and tie up loose ends, so you will be fine in this case.

Sorry to add a few more stuffs too how will it affect my naturalisation 5 years later....
Ir in my case it will take 6 years or despite that fact iwas
Away for almost 10 months away on my first activation trip and went back to nepal to finding h the bending works. The is the only trip which is going to be more three months.
So I wish if my case will be granted naturalisation at 4 yesrs 9 months forgetting and forgivving giving time for first and the big final move....
Or my 1 almost year is lost n jeopadrized...

No you will not be eligible to file for naturalization in 4 years and 9 months from now. Your naturalization clock will reset and start recounting from when you return in 2018 - the almost one year you're spending at home will not be credited to you for naturalization purpose.

No you will not be eligible to file for naturalization in 4 years and 9 months from now. Your naturalization clock will reset and start recounting from when you return in 2018 - the almost one year you're spending at home will not be credited to you for naturalization purpose.
Thanks for ur reply @Sm1smom.
And I am sorry,I just realised while looking at my query that I was in jet lag mode when I typed with so many mistakes...
Ha ha...
Hopefully I will not have any problem when I get back to US permanently...

They may ask why you stayed away for so long, you can explain you needed the some time to tie up some loose ends at home. They understand new immigrants need to go back home and tie up loose ends, so you will be fine in this case.
Hey sry to bother u again wanted to ask u one more thing my passport has arrival stamp on feb 19 but no departure stamp from US which was on 25th march so my 1 year deadline starts from march 25 right or is it from feb 19???
Just wanted to make sure I dont mess up with the dates so wanted to ask and sorry for a silly question....

Hey sry to bother u again wanted to ask u one more thing my passport has arrival stamp on feb 19 but no departure stamp from US which was on 25th march so my 1 year deadline starts from march 25 right or is it from feb 19???
Just wanted to make sure I dont mess up with the dates so wanted to ask and sorry for a silly question....

The US does not stamp / issue departure dates on passports, but they are aware of when you left. Your one year clock starts from your arrival date - Feb. 19th.

The US does not stamp / issue departure dates on passports, but they are aware of when you left. Your one year clock starts from your arrival date - Feb. 19th.

Absences are counted from when you leave the US, not when you arrive?

The one year for which the temp green card is valid however starts from when you arrive.

(I'm not entirely sure what the poster was asking tbh!)

Absences are counted from when you leave the US, not when you arrive?

The one year for which the temp green card is valid however starts from when you arrive.

(I'm not entirely sure what the poster was asking tbh!)

My guess is this is a bit of a grey area, but I would rather err on the side of caution. If we say the one year clock is from the departure date, how about the case of someone who comes and stays for about six months and then leaves for one year without a re-entry permit on the basis of 'I'm leaving for one year to tie up loose ends'? I don't know if it will seat well with CBP.

My guess is this is a bit of a grey area, but I would rather err on the side of caution. If we say the one year clock is from the departure date, how about the case of someone who comes and stays for about six months and then leaves for one year without a re-entry permit on the basis of 'I'm leaving for one year to tie up loose ends'? I don't know if it will seat well with CBP.

I know people who've done that. I mean, if it's from date of arrival that effectively means you can't travel after a year has passed since you landed!! The rule is an absence of a year which logically is since you departed.

Hi folks, my wife and I submitted our DS-260 late December and have received an interview date for June. I understand the visa will need to be activate before October, we intend to activate this in August. I understand while in the US we can apply for a re-entry permit, we have 2 delicate family situations to look after here first before we could move (and a house we had bought earlier that needs to be decorated and rented out when we go). I trust the officers are fully understanding of this? I have waited about 10 years or more to get a green card and don't want to lose it (if I am lucky enough to get one).

Hi folks, my wife and I submitted our DS-260 late December and have received an interview date for June. I understand the visa will need to be activate before October, we intend to activate this in August. I understand while in the US we can apply for a re-entry permit, we have 2 delicate family situations to look after here first before we could move (and a house we had bought earlier that needs to be decorated and rented out when we go). I trust the officers are fully understanding of this? I have waited about 10 years or more to get a green card and don't want to lose it (if I am lucky enough to get one).

The visa is usually valid for six months, depending on how close to your interview your medical exam was and the outcome of the medical exam itself. So what you heard about being required to activate before October is not accurate.

Yes you can apply for a re-entry permit which enables you to stay outside the US for upto 2 years without the fear of being deemed to have abandoned your LPR status. If you do not wish to apply for a re-entry permit - the processing takes a couple of months and you'll need to wait for biometrics at least before you leave - and you're fairly certain you can tie up loose ends and return to the US within a year, then you can leave without applying for a re-entry permit.

I do hope you or your fiancé will return to let us know how the process went
Several weeks later, but I'm back to report a positive outcome :) still took probably a dozen or so more phone calls. A couple worth mentioning - eventually someone explained there's a Thailand office we can call with hours more compatible with Australia, but when we did, they were unable to help with this query (I think they could only offer basic information). At one point we were in HK so a better timezone, and even though we called right when the US lines opened, the wait time for tier 2 was 145 minutes, and we got an automated message to say we'd get a call back on the number we were on. We were using a foreign SIM, so suffice to say, the callback never came.

Eventually - and this is worth noting for anyone else going through the process - someone explained that the permits are first sent to Washington, and then they're forwarded onto the foreign embassy. So the info online that says it was 'delivered' to Washington wasn't entirely inaccurate. We e-mailed the address listed on the website for Australia with a full explanation and got back a response like 'read this link for info on re-entry permits'. Gah. Tried to call, and found their answering service is all automated messages except for one option, which is only for booking visa appointments. I told fiancé to just start talking to whoever he got and see what happens. Luckily, this person was quite helpful and gave us an unpublished email address for Melbourne. Sent them an email and they asked for a scan of his passport. Sent that and got an appointment time as a response. It was actually for the day I needed to be in Sydney for my visa appointment lol So it was at the consulate the whole time! Omg... All that stress.

And, before anyone asks... If I didn't mention it before... We did try and contact Melbourne at the start of all this. From memory ( this has been going for almost a year now) the phone redirected to Sydney and to an answering machine.

Was watching 'Protecting American borders' and CBP official made this Ukranian lady give up her green card. She swore that she was willingly giving up her green card right there at arrivals and green card was taken away. She was allowed in but had to apply for visas in the future. She was married to an American for 18 months, got divorced then went to live in Ukraine. She would visit on a return ticket, stay for a while then go back 'home'. She was coming in again with a return ticket when she got busted. She was told she didn't have US ties, her marriage ended and she hasn't maintained residency.. different circumstances with the conditional green card but it does happen..CBP officers notice these things.

Was watching 'Protecting American borders' and CBP official made this Ukranian lady give up her green card. She swore that she was willingly giving up her green card right there at arrivals and green card was taken away. She was allowed in but had to apply for visas in the future. She was married to an American for 18 months, got divorced then went to live in Ukraine. She would visit on a return ticket, stay for a while then go back 'home'. She was coming in again with a return ticket when she got busted. She was told she didn't have US ties, her marriage ended and she hasn't maintained residency.. different circumstances with the conditional green card but it does happen..CBP officers notice these things.

I think some people don't understand the responsibilities of having a green card and I think the first rule its to understand, its not a super visa :)