Green card holder - Study Abroad

Mgsm92

Hi everyone,

I just got my green card (August, 2018) it lasts for two years until I do the renewal close to the expiration.
Now, I am looking to study abroad for less than a year in Spain. My program starts September 2019 until June 2020.
I wonder if this is doable, coming back to the US with no trouble.

I would be 4 months in Europe from 2018 (Sept - Dec) and 6 months in 2019 (January - June). Taking in account being in the US for a month, Dec - Jan.

Would this work? If so, what to do or who to speak to? Do I need to apply for a re-entry permit?

Thank you!

What do you mean by renewal in 2 years? Is it a CR1 visa/green card?
Normally those absences should be fine, but if you need to remove conditions based on marriage and you’ve been away for half the time there may be questions.

So, my green card expires in August 2020, and what I've heard is that after, I need to re-apply/renew or re-valid my green card by showing proof of my marriage, etc. (Not sure if I am well informed on this)

Going abroad would be both, my husband and I. Should that be more feasible?

You have what is known as a Conditional Green Card, a gc for those married under 2 years. You'd have a 90-day window before the gc expires in 2020 to fill out form I-751 and send proofs of living in marital union.. to remove conditions.

A re-entry permit is generally not required for continuous absences under a year.

So, my green card expires in August 2020, and what I've heard is that after, I need to re-apply/renew or re-valid my green card by showing proof of my marriage, etc. (Not sure if I am well informed on this)

?

Please become well-informed about it and what you need for removing conditions. USCIS takes this stuff very seriously and I’m sure you don’t want to unintentionally jeopardize your green card.

You're traveling with your US citizen spouse? So the proof of a genuine marriage shouldn't be an issue. The length of time spent abroad seems to be a bit of a grey area, but I don't know if that's a reason to deny removal of condition. If you can afford the re-entry permit go for it just to prove intent to maintain PR status.