Green card for the baby born outside USA

The green card will have the A number, and should arrive in 2-4 weeks. Then you can use it to apply for the baby's SSN.

Hello Everyone,

Parents with GC and Kid was born outside US. Traveled with him to US and in the Port of Entry he was stamped I-551 and given a completed form "Form I - 181 (Rev.3-1-83) N". They also took a picture of the baby that we had. Its been 2 months but card has not arrived yet. I called USCIS and they couldn't understand the form I-181 so they recommended me to take infopass to meet with local USCIS. I did do that but even they told me to just wait......

Most of the online forum says any where between 2- 4 weeks we should receive them...

Its almost 3 months now... still waiting, hoping one day the card will appear magically in my box!

Anyone with similar experience? Any recommendations?

Hi

We the parents are green card holders and the baby is born in India. We came back to US with the baby(4months old) and at the POE, the baby got the stay permit till May 2009. The stamp on her passport says 'temporary evidence of lawful admission for permanent residence valid until May 29, 2009).

My question now is that do we have to apply GC for her and is anyone have experience in this case, please reply.

Thanks

Hi Kcr

Can you pls let me know what letter you got from US counsulate, as i am in a similar situation, me and my wife are planning to travel to US and we have a 3 month baby. We both have US green card and our baby has a birth certificate and Indian passport.
Pls let me know if there is a process to get the letter from US consulate in mumbai for babys travel

thanks
Ashish

It is not necessary to get a letter from the consulate to bring the infant to the US (provided that it is the accompanying LPR parent's first trip to the US since the birth). Just bring the baby's birth certificate, passport, and 2 passport-sized pictures.

It is not necessary to get a letter from the consulate to bring the infant to the US (provided that it is the accompanying LPR parent's first trip to the US since the birth). Just bring the baby's birth certificate, passport, and 2 passport-sized pictures.
I think the poster was concerned that the airline may not allow them to board or the country may not allow them to exit because they are not familiar with the U.S. requirements.

@Ashish Deshmukh,

Just ask the US Consulate under whose jurisdiction you come in and request a letter from them. Also, if none is needed, they will instruct you on the next steps both with Airlines at the POE. The last thing you want is to return from the Airport or from the US with an infant because someone did not understand the laws. All the best!

Dear Forum Members,
Thanks for all the information exchanged above on this thread. In our case me, my wife and our elder kid are having valid LPR Cards. One year post getting GCs, due to medical support reasons my wife had to go to India in the middle of the pregnancy. We have our younger kid born in India. After baby is born I traveled to the U.S. while mother and kids are still in India. We are planning to bring the baby to the U.S. soon.
I have below questions regarding getting entry for the baby to the U.S.:
1. While bringing Baby to the U.S. if I accompany them, will it be issue given it's my "Second" trip after baby is born (though it is mother's and baby's "first" trip and baby is less than one year old)?
2. Though we have GCs we couldn't file the ReEntry permit for my wife. Her stay outside the U.S. will be close to 11 months at the time of return. Will this create any issues at the POE for my wife as well as the Baby for entry and getting the GC filed at POE?

Thanks Again!!!!

Dear Forum Members,
Thanks for all the information exchanged above on this thread. In our case me, my wife and our elder kid are having valid LPR Cards. One year post getting GCs, due to medical support reasons my wife had to go to India in the middle of the pregnancy. We have our younger kid born in India. After baby is born I traveled to the U.S. while mother and kids are still in India. We are planning to bring the baby to the U.S. soon.
I have below questions regarding getting entry for the baby to the U.S.:
1. While bringing Baby to the U.S. if I accompany them, will it be issue given it's my "Second" trip after baby is born (though it is mother's and baby's "first" trip and baby is less than one year old)?
It'll be the mother's first return trip, so it's all good.

What is your status? If you are a US citizen then the child will almost certainly be a US citizen and will then need a US passport instead.

2. Though we have GCs we couldn't file the ReEntry permit for my wife. Her stay outside the U.S. will be close to 11 months at the time of return. Will this create any issues at the POE for my wife as well as the Baby for get the GC filed?
Shouldn't be a problem.

Hello People!, I need you rhelp... I am a Permanent Resident and I got married 2 months ago, my wife is now pregnant and is due 07/2016. She is not a permanent resident, she only has a tourist visa. Can i do the same you guys have done with a baby born abroad? (Given that i am the only one who is a PR, my wife is not) Or is it better to travel with my wife to the US and have her give biirth in the US? Thanks in advance

Hello People!, I need you rhelp... I am a Permanent Resident and I got married 2 months ago, my wife is now pregnant and is due 07/2016. She is not a permanent resident, she only has a tourist visa. Can i do the same you guys have done with a baby born abroad? (Given that i am the only one who is a PR, my wife is not) Or is it better to travel with my wife to the US and have her give biirth in the US? Thanks in advance
No, the thing about being born abroad to a permanent resident is only for a permanent resident mother. The child will need to get an immigrant visa if born abroad. In any case you don't want to separate the child and mother and the mother will also need to go through the process anyway, so there isn't much difference.

No, the thing about being born abroad to a permanent resident is only for a permanent resident mother. The child will need to get an immigrant visa if born abroad. In any case you don't want to separate the child and mother and the mother will also need to go through the process anyway, so there isn't much difference.
So, my best option will be to travel with her to the US and have my child be born in US soil. Correct? Because as far as I know, the waiting time is about 2 years!

So, my best option will be to travel with her to the US and have my child be born in US soil. Correct? Because as far as I know, the waiting time is about 2 years!
I don't see how that would be "best".
1) With what visa would she enter the US? What would she say if asked about her being pregnant and how she is going to pay for medical costs? How is she going to pay for medical costs? How is she going to get prenatal care? If she enters as a visitor, with a duration of stay of 6 months, will she have enough time to have the baby and then stay for a period after birth when it's not best to travel?
2) Her coming to the US to have the child still does not change the amount of time before she can immigrate (and the baby will presumably stay with her), so what is the difference?

I don't see how that would be "best".
1) With what visa would she enter the US? What would she say if asked about her being pregnant and how she is going to pay for medical costs? How is she going to pay for medical costs? How is she going to get prenatal care? If she enters as a visitor, with a duration of stay of 6 months, will she have enough time to have the baby and then stay for a period after birth when it's not best to travel?
2) Her coming to the US to have the child still does not change the amount of time before she can immigrate (and the baby will presumably stay with her), so what is the difference?
The whole point of this is to secure my child´s US Citizenship... She has a tourist visa and I was planning to get her in the US about two months before her due date. After she gives birth she can go back to her country to wait and my child would be a US citizenship by being born in US soil. Money is definitely no issue.

The whole point of this is to secure my child´s US Citizenship... She has a tourist visa and I was planning to get her in the US about two months before her due date. After she gives birth she can go back to her country to wait and my child would be a US citizenship by being born in US soil. Money is definitely no issue.
Well you were asking at first about the rule for children born abroad to permanent resident mothers to enter the US without a visa, which is the topic of this thread. In that case, the children are not US citizens either. And what you you do it doesn't make a difference for the children's US citizenship anyway; your children will automatically be US citizens when they get permanent residency and are living in the US with a US citizen parent, which will be true in a few years one way or another.

It'll be the mother's first return trip, so it's all good.

What is your status? If you are a US citizen then the child will almost certainly be a US citizen and will then need a US passport instead.

Shouldn't be a problem.

Hi Dear

My situation is almost similar above, need to clarify one information
1. we both husband and wife are LPR.
2. baby is born through surrogacy and got a Canadian passport, since we are Canadian citizen.
3. if i understood correctly, baby does not need visa to get in usa
4. i came back to USA after the baby born and mother stayed in india
5. we were told to apply for exit visa in india which are applying already
6. does my revisit to bring baby and mother back to USA cause any issue of first visit after baby born?

Please clarify.

Hi Dear

2. baby is born through surrogacy and got a Canadian passport, since we are Canadian citizen.
6. does my revisit to bring baby and mother back to USA cause any issue of first visit after baby born?

Please clarify.
please help on this

Hi Dear

Please clarify.
I don't know anything about Indian exit visas.

If you had already come back to the US after the baby was born, then according to the rules you bring the baby back in the future doesn't qualify for the baby not needing a visa, because it's not the first time you came back to the US after the baby was born. Now, it seems, only the mother can bring the baby back on her first trip without the baby needing a visa.