Green card for my brother?

sweetie1

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I recently received my green card and I am wondering if I will be able to apply green card for my brother right away? The priority date sounds very confusing to me so if anyone could summarize it for me, I'd really appreciate. Thank you!

PS: Goodluck to all who are waiting for their LPR! :)

Green card holders cannot petition for a green card for their brothers/sisters. Only US citizens can.

So only a US citizen can petition for his/her siblings? Can the siblings be of any age?

Also what about sponsoring my niece (sister's daughter) for a GC. She is 8.

So only a US citizen can petition for his/her siblings? Can the siblings be of any age?

Also what about sponsoring my niece (sister's daughter) for a GC. She is 8.

The USC petitioning sibling must be 21 or older. The alien sibling beneficiary can be any age. The sibling is in the 4th preference family-based category. the principal alien (the sibling) can bring their immediate family (spouse and unmarried children under age 21 and even the out of wedlock or child of a divorced or widowed child [USC's divorced/widowed niece/nephew and their kids] can come along). It is because so many family members can come that they are made to wait so long.

The USC petitioning sibling must be 21 or older. The alien sibling beneficiary can be any age. The sibling is in the 4th preference family-based category. the principal alien (the sibling) can bring their immediate family (spouse and unmarried children under age 21 and even the out of wedlock or child of a divorced or widowed child [USC's divorced/widowed niece/nephew and their kids] can come along). It is because so many family members can come that they are made to wait so long.

How long can the process take from application to a GC? WOuld it take longer depending on the person's age? If I sponsor a 30 year old sister or an 8 year old niece?

You are not a US citizen, therefore you cannot sponsor your sister. Niece cannot be sponsored directly, only as a minor child of a sponsored sibling. After you become citizen, you can file to sponsor your sibling and it is likely to take 10 years or longer. If you just got your green card, you are looking at 16+ years before your brother or sister can get a green card.

You are not a US citizen, therefore you cannot sponsor your sister. Niece cannot be sponsored directly, only as a minor child of a sponsored sibling. After you become citizen, you can file to sponsor your sibling and it is likely to take 10 years or longer. If you just got your green card, you are looking at 16+ years before your brother or sister can get a green card.

@nkm-oct23:
I might have mispoke in my previous posts. I am a USC