Green Card for Father and Brother

purelife08

Registered Users (C)
I am USC and planing to file for my Brother and Father...could you please tell me how much time generally it takes ....they are in India...does it take same time for all country or little bit more for india....

I heard it takes atleast 10 years for brother/sister category...don't know for father....(may be 1 ro 2 years)....what documents i need for my brother/father... can i file for both at the same time or apply first my bro then father some time later (6 months)....

is it good idea to for lawyer or can i take care my self....

I would really appreciate for the advice and comments regarding these issue..

Timeline

I am USC and planing to file for my Brother and Father...could you please tell me how much time generally it takes ....they are in India...does it take same time for all country or little bit more for india....

I heard it takes atleast 10 years for brother/sister category...don't know for father....(may be 1 ro 2 years)....what documents i need for my brother/father... can i file for both at the same time or apply first my bro then father some time later (6 months)....

is it good idea to for lawyer or can i take care my self....

I would really appreciate for the advice and comments regarding these issue..

Yes you are right. It takes forever when you try to apply/sponsor your brothers/sisters when they are over 18, something like that.

I encourage you to immediately apply for your father in India. He should be able to get his Green card in 9-12 months max, depending the load US embassy has in India at this time.

purelife08, it will take around 12 years for your brother, according to the current 4th family preference priority dates for India, but it could even get worse as time progresses (the country with the longest FB4 wait is currently the Philippines with 22 years).

You may also look into the option of your father becoming a permanent resident here first and then have him sponsor your brother (is your brother married? is he over 21?).

As Atlanta_Brother says for your father. As for your brother, it depends upon what country he was born in. According to the current visa bulletin they currently processing applications received in feb 86 for those born in the Philippines, Nov 96 for Mexico, Oct 96 for India, Nov 96 for China and Jul 97 for all other countries. So just work out the difference between the dates for the country that applied to your brothers birth and today's date, and that will give you an approximate length of time wait until a visa number becomes available for your brother.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_3925.html

thanks a million to Atlanta_Brother, austriacus and elcupacabras for giving me such a good advice...

i have one more question...

suppose i apply for my brother which takes 12 years...How will i be able to update my brother address if he moved out to other city...i mean its possible that people move .

that a lot and wait for ur response

Address update

thanks a million to Atlanta_Brother, austriacus and elcupacabras for giving me such a good advice...

i have one more question...

suppose i apply for my brother which takes 12 years...How will i be able to update my brother address if he moved out to other city...i mean its possible that people move .

that a lot and wait for ur response

In that case, you can always make an infopass apptt and visit your local USCIS office to update your brother's address overseas.

your local USCIS office doesn't have anything to do with I-130 pending at a service center or NVC. You need to contact one of those to update the address.

your local USCIS office doesn't have anything to do with I-130 pending at a service center or NVC. You need to contact one of those to update the address.

LucyMo
what do u mean "one of those"...could you be little more clear....where are those and their contact information ?...i am in Texas so can find them here...please explain

Last edited by a moderator:
what do u mean "one of those"...could you be little more clear....where are those and their contact information ?...i am in Texas so can find them here...please explain

You contact whichever office has your brother's I-130; either the USCIS Service Center where it was filed, or the National Visa Center.

LucyMo

When you actually get to file I-130, you will see that you have to file it with the Service Center in whose jurisdiction you reside. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE FORMS. You need to concentrate on form I-130.
Then come and ask questions if something is unclear.

Last edited by a moderator: