Green card - Category AS6

johnlusf

Hello, I'm new here but have been lurking in these forums for a while. I have a question that I'm hoping someone here can answer.

I entered the US as a relative of an asylee. My previous I485s to adjust status to permanent residency got lost in the bureaucratic maze. 8 years later, I meet a wonderful woman and we get married. I again apply for an I485 based on my marriage to her (she is a US citizen). About a month ago, I receive my green card and the category is listed as AS6. That does not seem right? Shouldn't my category be something else, since my adjustment to permanent residency status is based upon my marriage to my wife?

Thank you so much. I hope to return to my home country to see my mother and I was told a AS6 green card would preclude my doing so.

Hello, I'm new here but have been lurking in these forums for a while. I have a question that I'm hoping someone here can answer.

I entered the US as a relative of an asylee. My previous I485s to adjust status to permanent residency got lost in the bureaucratic maze. 8 years later, I meet a wonderful woman and we get married. I again apply for an I485 based on my marriage to her (she is a US citizen). About a month ago, I receive my green card and the category is listed as AS6. That does not seem right? Shouldn't my category be something else, since my adjustment to permanent residency status is based upon my marriage to my wife?

Thank you so much. I hope to return to my home country to see my mother and I was told a AS6 green card would preclude my doing so.

AS6 Asylee principal. Sec. 209(b) of the INA as added by PL-96- 212 (Mar. 17, 1980) - ((Adjusted status))
click the below links:
http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=225855
http://www.justanswer.com/questions/1plba-green-card-category-as6

Maybe they dug up your old asylum green card application from whatever remote pile it was sitting under, and finally approved it instead of approving your marriage-based application.

Did you complete all the required steps for the marriage-based GC including the medical exam, fingerprints, and interview? If not, that card you got must have been for your asylum case ... and if so, that could be a problem, because if you got married before the derivative asylee GC was approved, the card would be invalid and subject to revocation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went through the whole process - medical exam, fingerprinting, and interview with my wife. At the interview, they told me that my secondary evidence of birth was inadequate and asked that I send them primary evidence within 30 days. I sent it in and within 2 weeks, they sent a letter to my wife notifying her that her petition for relative was approved. A week later, I got a letter notifying me that my application for adjustment of status was approved and that a green card would be coming in the mail within 3 weeks. When I got the green card, AS6 was on there. I guess I have to consult an attorney on this... Thanks for the help.

I'm sorry, from reading one of the above links, I still have another question. Since I am a AS6 category green card holder married to a US Citizen, how long do I have to wait to apply for naturalization? Is it 3 years or 5 years?

You can apply using either rule. Once you've been a GC holder AND married to a USC for 3 years, you can apply for citizenship that way. It's just slightly harder that way, because you have to prove the marriage is legitimate. The 5 year rule is easier, but if you have proof, go for it after 3 years.

By the way, you have to get that GC fixed. They may have crossed your files.