Green card application for parents and sister

smee

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I've been doing some research on this and read many pages of advice. I figured it would be best to combine all my queries into one and see if some of you can help me.

I just got naturalized this summer. I want to (a) file Green Card application for my parents (b) file Green card application for my sister.

I'll take each of these in turn.

(a)For my parents:

-I file I-130 for each of them, they get issued a visa at their local consulate, then I file I-485 for each of them, it takes 3-4 months usually and they are approved, correct?

Question: Is it better to file once they are in the country and file 130 and 485 concurrently? Both my parents have 5 yr multiple entry visas for the US so that would not be a problem. If I file concurrently, how long does it take, start to finish?

Also, does it cost extra to get a travel doc and employment authorization form for each (I remember it was included when I got my green card)?

Finally, can my parents sponsor my over 21 sister when they get their green card or do they have to wait until they get their citizenship (5 more years)?

(b)For my sister. She is over 21 and in New York City on a student F-1 visa. She wants to get work authorization as soon as possible and we are trying to figure out the quickest route. She could get it through an employer down the road, but we're trying to see if the family route is faster. She's about a year and a half from graduation.

-If I file a 130 for her, approx how long until she gets an immigrant visa? 1 or more years?
-Second, once she gets the immigrant visa and I file a 485 for her, can she get the work permit right away, even if the green card takes another 10 yrs or so?
-Third, if my parents file for her (again, she's over 21) can she get a work permit right away?

Thanks again, I really appreciate all the help!

thanks. i didn't know it took that long to get the 130 approved. if my parents apply for her after they get their green card next year, is that faster and can she get work authorization then?

i think my parents might be able to get their green card by june or july of next year and then file for her (she's over 21). what kind of time frame then?

Waiting time depends on where beneficiary was born. W/o that info, all we can say is 10 years to 15 years depending on the status of your parents when I-130 was filed for their daughter. So where was she born ?

If she stays unmarried,
1. 9 years if parents applied for her as LPR.
2. Parents needs 5 years to be a USC, and she can be sponsored by US citizen parents which will take 6 years. Total 11 years in that case.

Employment base will take 3 - 4 years assuming she is on EB3, but big challenge for EB is, if she wants to work in the US in the meantime, getting employed under H1 as H1 quota gets exhausted quick and it went through lottery last 2 years. If she has MS, that's a different story and H1b is easy to get and EB process could take only a year.

Last edited by a moderator: