Good news for folks waiting for Cship

There is a hope that this issue will be addressed after the midterm elections. The bill already passed the Senate which is still gonna go republican. But the Congress may go Democrat the way things are looking. Immigration lobbyists will probably try and get the bill again for congress to review. Since it is going to be a Democrat Majority in congress, the bill will probably pass. I know it is optimistic view, but there is a possibility.

gctocship07 said:
I am confident this would happen. The bill includes the 4 year citizenship amendment already in it..

There's no guarantee that the bill introduced in the next Congress will have the 4 year citizenship amendment in it.

gctocship07 said:
This passed Senate and it has the faster citizenship amendment in it already.

It passed the current Senate. On January 4th, 2007, there will be a new Senate and a new House of Representatives, and things need to start over again.

This is just one more bill. There are dozens of immigration bills introduced, but most of them do not pass or take years to pass. I would not hold my breath.

Give up

I believe this will never happen. I was watching the State Of the Union Speech yesterday and Bush talked about Immigration Reform one more time.. Even if they would work on this again.. I dont even believe the contents of Senate bill which passed last year will be considered to be the starting point. I am pretty much sure now this is dead. Lest just wait for 5 years..

This week is critical. email your congressmen/ senators and urge them to support the CIR.

This week is critical. email your congressmen/ senators and urge them to support the CIR.

ok great, could you give a summary of what is at stake for this week ... are they gonna decide this week? or is it just another of "a week".

and so the importance for us, regards CIR is that, it provides a 4-year residency before citizenship provided one demonstrates english fluency, right ?

S.1348 introduced this week appears to contain the 4-year requirement for natz, so good news.

While good news on surface Today - Sen. Kennedy announces a bi-partisan agreement, and Bush wants the new legislation in place by end of this year; however I think reality dictates that it'll drag into 2008 and then Elections would naturally stall any progress. Hope I prove wrong ?

Immigration Deal reached

Looks like a workable immigration deal reached between the Republicans and the democrats, Senate and Congress, which means, the bill presented earlier in the senate which was exact same as last years, may go through changes before being voted on.. We will have to look at the details of this new bill to see if the 4 year citizenship rule is part of it..

If any body has text of the new bill when it gets available, appreciate if they could put it in this thread..

S.1348

Hi,
I scanned through S.1348 and did not see the part that discusses shortening the wait time. Can anybody please tell me where is it?

Much appreciated,