Good news for folks waiting for Cship

srinivas_nandul said:
I dont get it. If the Senate passes it overwhelmingly, is this not enough for this bill to pass?? May be i should brush up my skills of how the govt works..

You should brush up on those skills. I have tried to explain in previous forums and it's too long to go at it again. Check one of the other posts on this or check how it works.

You are not a lawyer. You are not a representative of the United States. You did not even contribute to this thread much. So Shut Up. If you know something tell us. If not just dont talk.

srinivas_nandul said:
You are not a lawyer. You are not a representative of the United States. You did not even contribute to this thread much.

But unfortunately for you and your mouth (do you kiss your mother with it?) he's factually correct. The Senate could pass a bill 100-0 and it still is meaningless unless the House and President act on it.

This is the sort of stuff you need to know for citizenship, by the way. ;)

TheRealCanadian said:
But unfortunately for you and your mouth (do you kiss your mother with it?) he's factually correct. The Senate could pass a bill 100-0 and it still is meaningless unless the House and President act on it.

This is the sort of stuff you need to know for citizenship, by the way. ;)
You have to get down right dirty dont you? If you are such a smart ass you would not come to this website in the first place. Since you know everything. I agree i made a dumb statement at that time, but i have learnt a lot since then. Can we keep off the mother topic?

Folks:

We have many cultures participating in discussing and posting views of the issues that are faced by millions of legal immigrants. So, let's not get dirty. For, a "term" used by a culture can be viewed as a derogatory by other culture.

Let's not forget the fact that we are trying to get others' opinion and not create a hostile environment here.

Good luck to y'all
howdy_howdy
//

query11 said:
ppl dont be over excited over this news...even if congress passes it,chances are you are gonna get stuck with uscis for more than a year!!! :D

but still we are going to save one year right? if you apply after 5 years, you are going to wait one year, same way if this bill passes and you apply after 4 years, even if it takes one yr by USCIS, you could save 1 yr.

hope this is passed all the way and becomes law....

Apollo_13 said:
but still we are going to save one year right? if you apply after 5 years, you are going to wait one year, same way if this bill passes and you apply after 4 years, even if it takes one yr by USCIS, you could save 1 yr.

hope this is passed all the way and becomes law....
If this bill passes there will be a rush of applications for citizenship. The backlog created will take years to resolve. So whatever time is gained here will be lost in processing. Worse, if amnesty for 11 million illegals is given then the whole system will get clogged for several years.
The best example for this is the implementation of PERM. Now labor processing takes only a couple of months. However priority dates have regressed by several years. Effectively the bottleneck moved from one point in the system to another.

hipka said:
If this bill passes there will be a rush of applications for citizenship. The backlog created will take years to resolve. So whatever time is gained here will be lost in processing. Worse, if amnesty for 11 million illegals is given then the whole system will get clogged for several years.
The best example for this is the implementation of PERM. Now labor processing takes only a couple of months. However priority dates have regressed by several years. Effectively the bottleneck moved from one point in the system to another.

I guess you are right.

To fix the 11 million illegals, its better if USCIS make 10 of them legal first and ask them to process all the remaining 11 million-10 applications. Let it be on a separate track.

Legals on a separate track....Sounds good? I guess we can only day dream....

Citizenship

For those of us who will be eligible to apply for citizenship with this rule, it is not going to be so bad. the 11 million or so we are talking about are not going to apply in the next couple of years. They will have to wait atleast 10 years before they can become citizens. Yes there will be atleast one year full of people who will be extra. But that is not much. In my area it roughly takes about 6 months to get citizenship once i apply. Now it may take 9 months. But i still save 3 months. Not that it is significant but it is something.

Many people would want to go overseas for a long period either for work or for domestic reasons but cannot because of the strict restrictions of Greencard. They are the ones who benifit most from this. For others its just a year, so it really dosen't matter.

hipka said:
Worse, if amnesty for 11 million illegals is given then the whole system will get clogged for several years.

Why would it - it will take them years to get a GC, and only five years after that would they apply for NATZ.

That has nothing to do with PERM, and everything to do with a lot of LCs from 2001, 2002 and 2003 finally making it out of the system.

TheRealCanadian said:
Why would it - it will take them years to get a GC, and only five years after that would they apply for NATZ.
They would initially apply to become legal, pay taxes, etc. submit some documentation to USCIS, file AR11 etc. Just imagine, 11 million extra AR-11 alone may cause a breakdown. Don't assume that USCIS will not divert resources from processing NATZ to processing AR-11's, they have done things like that in the past
TheRealCanadian said:
That has nothing to do with PERM, and everything to do with a lot of LCs from 2001, 2002 and 2003 finally making it out of the system.
That is what I am telling, PERM made the labor process faster, which gave USCIS a chance to divert resources and clear 2001-03 backlogs. However there was no increase in per country limits for GC, which effectively moved the bottleneck from one point to another.

Not Looking Positive

The House is holding immigration sessions all around the country trying to find out what the voters like. In all likelihood, House is not going to vote for this before the Elections.

Now after the elections, if we have Republicans holding the House, there are slim chances of this bill getting through the House. On the other hand if Democrats win, i am hopeful they will pass the bill exactly as passed by Senate, in which case the President will sign the bill into Law as he is the one who proposed it.

Looking at all these uncertainities, I have given up hope on this thing going anywhere.. Guess we have to wait for 5 years before we can apply.

gctocship07 said:
On the other hand if Democrats win, i am hopeful they will pass the bill exactly as passed by Senate, in which case the President will sign the bill into Law as he is the one who proposed it.

No, it would have to pass the Senate again, since it would be passed during the term of a new Congress.

It looks like the House and Senate are both done for this term. The new term will start after the elections are completed. Should we consider that this immigration reform to be dead. is there any chance that this will be reconsidered after the elections?