Good border for first TN

alright i found the document and here are the percentages of successful TN Visas granted and in order of most successful:

1. Pearson Airport - 100% (by air)
2. Detroit, MI - 93% (by air) 7% (by land)
3. Vancouver - 73% (by air) 22% (by sea)
4. Buffalo - 97% (land) 2% (by air)
5. Niagara Falls, NY - 97% (by land)

haha! These are useless statistics! It all depends on the total pool of data collected.

1) if 1 out of 1 people were successful in Pearson, then it would be 100%!!! But that's useless information for the rest of us.

haha! These are useless statistics! It all depends on the total pool of data collected.

1) if 1 out of 1 people were successful in Pearson, then it would be 100%!!! But that's useless information for the rest of us.

Actually I have heard people getting denied at Pearson before, so yes itt is completely useless just as the stupid TN-Kit is.

Now there was some statistics based on viewer comments about experiences individuals have had. Toronto was one of the worst ones. I think Pembina in North Dakota was ranked the highest with the fewest instances of denial. Of course only people who wanted to rate the border rated them, so usually it's the ones that got negative experiences were the ones that ranked their POE.

But yes it's all garbage data like the TN-Kit...

CLARIFICATION ON THE NUMBERS

The percentages does not mean how many TN Visas were successful at that Port of Entry. They represent how many applicants are applying by Sea/Air/Land/ to total 100%.

Somehow in this thread it was mistakenly assumed that the number represents how many TNs were successfully processed. That is not the case.

So given the numbers below you will see adding land + air + sea should equal 100%.
For example:
1. Pearson Airport - 100% (by air) <- means all applications processed at the airport which makes sense.
2. Detroit, MI - 93% (by air) 7% (by land) <- 93% of applications processed at airport, the other at land border crossing.

Hope this clarifies things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. I am from Mississauga and recently got a job offer in Arkanasa. I am planning to fly out from PEARSON airport however, after learning that i will have to purchase a ticket just to apply for a visa at the airport, I am now opting to drive to Niagara (which isn't too far from here) and apply at their POE days (less than a week) before my starting employment date.

My question is: would I be able to drive back given I am granted a visa at the border? I saw one post here where he drove back to Toronto and packed his things after getting the visa. The previous posts were dated back in 2007 so I am wondering if the same applies at present date?

Please help! I am planning to apply in a few weeks. Thank you.

You will obviously be allowed to drive back to canada, whether you get the TN status or not (it is not a visa). You are a Cdn citizen after all.

The question is whether you will be granted the TN at the border, since you are not going directly to work. Some officers use this criteria, some don't. I have explained what one needs to say at border in order to get TN granted, even if not planning to go to the worksite immediately, please search. It's up to you if you wantr to try, there is some advantages to doing this, since it allows you to complete your packing/moving plans without worrying if you will get the TN or not.

however, if you are planning to fly out of Pearson, and don't care about packing, etc, why not simply wait until you are scheduled to leave, show up a few hours early, and get your TN at the time you are leaving?

Hi

Does anyone have any link/URL for all the list of port of entrys where I can apply for TN. I'll be applying for my first TN in a couple of days and am a little tensed.

Any advice will definitely help.

thanks

I got mine at Port Huron, MI today. its was very simple. officer took all my documents and asked me to wait. came back saying its approved for 3 years as requested and done.

Nope. No questions or just may be 2. Where I was currently working and I just said I was not working. I am just starting a new job after 6 months. And then what I was making in my last job. That's all.

Thank you, Hello Mister. As we speak I am organizing all my documents in a binder. Going to the border tomorrow soon as my visascreen certificate arrives. I will update you all soon. *fingers crossed*

Hello everyone, I was wondering if there is any issue with driving my us registered car into Canada and back to us to apply for TN visa. Is CBP officer going to give me a hard time that I am driving a us registered vehicle, I am currently on H4 visa in US.

Of course not. You are legally in US, on a status that allows for you to even live there!
Cdn residents are not allowed to drive a US registered car into Canada, but you are a US resident for this purpose.
You prove this with your US driver's license, which you of course have (right?)

I’m going back to canada to get a second TN status for a new employer. What should I take with me from my current employer? What details should be on the document?

I just handed my notice, and my last day of work will be 3 weeks from now (using my ETO for next week prior to my last two weeks to look for apartments in the new city).

I’m flying to Pearson airport. Can I apply for a TN permit right there at the airport when I land, turn around and fly back to US after approval on the same day? Can I stay in Canada for a day or two after getting the permit at Pearson? or should I go and drive to the border for the application?

Any other advice?

i dont see any issue with you flying into canada, turning back and requesting tn at Pearson and going back to US (if approved of course).

what you cannot do is get TN at Pearson, *not* enter US, spend 2 days in Canada...i think you get the picture. summarily, you HAVE to enter US after you get tn