going to Canada

comcast

Registered Users (C)
Is the green card the only required document to enter Canada and return to the United States? I will be flying.

Thanks.

Comcast,
As recentry as couple months ago you must now have a passport/travelling document to enter the US from any other country and this includes even the US citizens.

This new passport rule mentioned by Huni98 does not affect permanent residents. Green card holders can enter Canada with only their green cards. No passport is needed. A Green Card is a fully secure document deemed acceptable by Congress.

Last edited by a moderator:
You still need a passport even if you're in possession of a greencard to travel by air. For example if you don't have a passport where are they going to stamp your admission on. You must present a passport, I am a frequent traveler and it is a basic requirement.

You still need a passport even if you're in possession of a greencard to travel by air. For example if you don't have a passport where are they going to stamp your admission on. You must present a passport, I am a frequent traveler and it is a basic requirement.

If you are a green card holder you do not need a passport to enter Canada (if you fly directly there from the United States). And you do not need a passport to enter the United States if you are directly flying in from Canada. They do not stamp anything in these circumstances.

If you are a green card holder you do not need a passport to enter Canada (if you fly directly there from the United States). And you do not need a passport to enter the United States if you are directly flying in from Canada. They do not stamp anything in these circumstances.

I just came back from Canada - both passport and GC are needed to enter Canada and, accordingly enter the United States. Thankful, don't get people in trouble. The new law clearly states that GC holders need their passports to enter the United States from Canada.

I just came back from Canada - both passport and GC are needed to enter Canada and, accordingly enter the United States. Thankful, don't get people in trouble. The new law clearly states that GC holders need their passports to enter the United States from Canada.

What law?

I go to Canada almost once a month and a passport is NOT needed.

Check this out: http://www.alaskaair.com/www2/help/faqs/TravelDocDefinitions.asp:

To Canada from the United States, a legal permanent resident of the United States may travel with just a valid, unexpired U.S. Permanent Resident Card; their non-American national passport is not required to enter Canada when presenting a valid, unexpired Green Card for travel. [emphasis supplied]

Please verify what you say before you say it.

A green card is all you need to travel to Canada.

The new law clearly states that GC holders need their passports to enter the United States from Canada.

huh, new law? Can you kindly provide a citation? Your credibility suffers when you make representations about the law (or anything else for that matter) without doing the proper due-diligence background research. Had you done your homework you would have found in the rule published jointly last year by the Departments of State and Homeland Security:

"Section 7209 does not apply to Lawful Permanent Residents, who will continue to be able to enter the United States upon
presentation of a valid Form I-551, Alien Registration Card, or other valid evidence of permanent resident status. Section 211(b) of the INA, 8 U.S.C. 1181(b)...."

71 Federal Register 46155, 46157 n. 10.

The same document states in a later section:

"Section 7209 of IRTPA applies to documentation requirements waived under section 212(d)(4)(B) of the INA which applies to nonimmigrant aliens, and section 215(b) of the INA, which applies to United States citizens. LPRs are exempt from the requirement to present a passport when arriving in the United States under Section 211 of the INA. Section 7209 does not apply to LPRs. LPRs will continue to be able to enter the United States upon presentation of a valid Form I-551, Alien Registration Card, or other valid evidence of permanent resident status. Form I-551 is a secure, fully adjudicated document that can be verified and authenticated by CBP at ports-of-entry."
Id. at 46162-63. [emphasis added and internal footnotes omitted]

So contrary to your assertion, the new law clearly states that LPRs do not need passports to enter the country from Canada.

Outstanding job Thankful (as always).

Just have some mercy on our poor 14ksusha!!!!

huh, new law? Can you kindly provide a citation? Your credibility suffers when you make representations about the law (or anything else for that matter) without doing the proper due-diligence background research. Had you done your homework you would have found in the rule published jointly last year by the Departments of State and Homeland Security:

"Section 7209 does not apply to Lawful Permanent Residents, who will continue to be able to enter the United States upon
presentation of a valid Form I-551, Alien Registration Card, or other valid evidence of permanent resident status. Section 211(b) of the INA, 8 U.S.C. 1181(b)...."

"Section 7209 of IRTPA applies to documentation requirements waived under section 212(d)(4)(B) of the INA which applies to nonimmigrant aliens, and section 215(b) of the INA, which applies to United States citizens. LPRs are exempt from the requirement to present a passport when arriving in the United States under Section 211 of the INA. Section 7209 does not apply to LPRs. LPRs will continue to be able to enter the United States upon presentation of a valid Form I-551, Alien Registration Card, or other valid evidence of permanent resident status. Form I-551 is a secure, fully adjudicated document that can be verified and authenticated by CBP at ports-of-entry."

So contrary to your assertion, the new law clearly states that LPRs do not need passports to enter the country from Canada.

A passport is not needed for green card holders.

But it is recommended that you have a travel document if you look different, speak limited English etc. In other words when you stand out from the vantage point of the immigration officer the more documentation you have the better off you will be--the immigration process will be easier and takes shorter amount of time.

But the bottom line is you will be able to enter Canada and return to America using your green card alone.

Awesome. I had a friend who lost his passport and took this printout to the airline with his valid GC and they let him board the airline WITHOUT a passport. And that was from Europe.

Are you serious or just joking?

I am serious!! By law you can come back to the U.S with just a green card by air or by plane. NOt that I would do that but in circumstances where a passport cannot be obtained, a printout of the law will help you.

I am serious!! By law you can come back to the U.S with just a green card by air or by plane. NOt that I would do that but in circumstances where a passport cannot be obtained, a printout of the law will help you.

I do that all the time for Canada b/c Canada admits you without a passport. For other countries this rule does not come into play b/c other countries want to see passports.

I would still take any passport or travel document, just in case... because it says something completely different everywhere :)

"Effective January 23, 2007, all nationals, including U.S. citizens, will be required to hold a valid passport to enter the United States by air. This also applies when coming from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The new passport requirement means that all travelers, including U.S. citizens, who are departing the U.S. and intend to re-enter the United States are required to hold a valid passport upon departure from the U.S."

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do...vel/passportInformation.jsp&anchorEvent=false

I don't know about laws, the only thing I know is that I had a hard time coming back from Canada by air without passport, I showed my GC and the IO asked for my passport, I showed him a print out from the airline, and he told me that the airlines are not the ones in charge of enforcing the rules, after a couple of minutes of looking at me as crap and telling me how stupid I was (maybe it makes him feel more important), he let me in.

I don't know if its law but I recommend to travel with passport or RTD, maybe I was unlucky and got a frustrated IO.

Just FYI.

Thanks