Going back home....

Punjabi_Munda

Registered Users (C)
Guys,
I got my GC in September and I have renewed my passport last week and now I'm leaving to see my old parents and family at the end of this week. This is after almost seven years. I'll be back at the end of January. Although, I have a valid Travel document, which doesn't say "Refugee" on it. It just says "Travel Document" and under the category "PR". But I thought, it will be easy to enter in my country with my NP rather than a travel document. I don't even plan to carry my Travel Document with me.
I'll report back my experience when I return..... Any "Helpful Suggestions" are welcome and people with criticism can just zip it and pip it :D
Regards,
Punjabi Munda.

Punjabi_Munda said:
Guys,
I got my GC in September and I have renewed my passport last week and now I'm leaving to see my old parents and family at the end of this week. This is after almost seven years. I'll be back at the end of January. Although, I have a valid Travel document, which doesn't say "Refugee" on it. It just says "Travel Document" and under the category "PR". But I thought, it will be easy to enter in my country with my NP rather than a travel document. I don't even plan to carry my Travel Document with me.
I'll report back my experience when I return..... Any "Helpful Suggestions" are welcome and people with criticism can just zip it and pip it :D
Regards,
Punjabi Munda.

whats TR mean? seems no one knows

Hi Punjabi Munda,
Pl. let us know your expeirence of renewing your National Passport. What were the requirements to applyincluding copy of your GC with AS 6 on it? Your earliest reply is highly appreciable.
Have a safe trip to your home country and Regards to your parents and all others.
Lamboo

Punjabi_Munda said:
Guys,
Regards,
Punjabi Munda.

My Friend I wish you the best luck, just keep us updated.
Are you planning to fly directly to your CoP? or you plan to do it through a neighbooring country.

I think 7 years is too much without seeing the loved ones, has anything changed there (politically) since you came here?

Regards.

Punjabi_Munda said:
Guys,
Regards,
Punjabi Munda.

PM, Enjoy and hope you have a good trip. I would suggest you use your Travel Document to enter the country, however it is up to you as it may not matter. I came back yesterday and the officer didn't even open my Travel document or scan it. All he cared was for the GC. Didn't look at the code as AS6 or whatever...didn't ask me any questions.

I would also suggest you make copies of your ticket etc and write a purpose of your trip for your own benefit during citizenship time. Maybe you won't need it but maybe they would ask you.

Its better to be prepared.

Best of luck and I don't see any problems or any questions asked from you when you return. Just be proud to be a PR and dont let the officers intimidate you as they did when we were asylees.

punjabi! just go back cuz purpose of your trip is relevant and do not worry about anything else. you are a PR now. and pray for me too... :)

Ok

Guys,
Thanks for your inputs. What I did is;
I sent my original old expired passport and ID card from my country along with photocopies of DL from Wisconsin and GC (both notarized). Category of GC is not readable when you make a photocopy anyway. Make a copy of your GC and you'll know what I'm talking about. I got my new passport within a week because I called the consulate office here and told them that I have to travel a litlle earlier than I thought and I have ticket to prove it in case they need to see it. Consulate office told me that I should send them fee for expedited service which I did. To my surprise, when I got my passport, they send me my expedited fee check back.
To answer the question about country situation, well, everyone's asylum is not based on the fear from Government. Different people have different reasons for their asylum.
Want, may be I'll take my Travel Document along and use that when coming back.
The other thing I did was, I asked my family to send me an email stating that my Mother's health is declining which is true and she wants to see me, which is true. I made copy of that email and I'll take one along and keep a copy in case I need it for my Citizenship interview.
Thanks
Punjabi Munda

PM, so you’re planning to use your just National Passport? Most people will use Travel Document to and from the U.S. /Country of Transit, and use NP to and from COT/COP. Make copies of the Boarding Passes to and from the U.S./COT. This is sufficient for verification of the continuous residency requirement.

Don’t worry about the Boarding Passes to and from the COT/COP.

Anyways, I just thought you may want to know. Have a nice and safe trip. Keep us updated!

Back from Home Country

Hi Everyone,
This is the first time I posted, although I've followed this forum for quite a while now.

I just got back from my month trip to my home country after I got my greencard last August.

When it's got to my turn at the Immigration Desk at SF airport, I got TWO questions from the officer:
1. How long were you in ______ for?
2. How much US$ (cash) do you have with you?

That's it. Less than 1 minute, I was back HOME here in this country. I was prepared with lots of questions, and answers to give them too, of course. The explanation I had in mind would have been:
Yes, I went to my home country to visit some families and to sell my property (which was the truth) there. I was confident that those officers are reasonable. I have a job here, a property and my life is pretty much here in the US. There is no reason for me whatsoever to go back to my home country. FYI, I travelled using my National Pasport, which I renewed just one week before I left.

Hope the sharing is useful. Nothing to worry about, really. Once you get your GC, you have the same status as other GC holders.

Devi.

National Passport

The other thing I wanted to mention was, I opted to renew my NP instead of getting travel papers with the following considerations:

1. I don't want to go to my homecountry using travel papers - this will raise suspicion for the immigration in my COP. If they found out what my status is here in the US, it may endanger my families who are still back home.

2. When I renewed my NP, I told them I was out of status - didn't want to show them my GC that has the category on it.

3. I trust the US government more than my home country's government. I truly believed I wouldn't get into any trouble from the US Immigration when I returned here, and I was right.

Devi

Devi Dewata said:
The other thing I wanted to mention was, I opted to renew my NP instead of getting travel papers with the following considerations:

1. I don't want to go to my homecountry using travel papers - this will raise suspicion for the immigration in my COP. If they found out what my status is here in the US, it may endanger my families who are still back home.

2. When I renewed my NP, I told them I was out of status - didn't want to show them my GC that has the category on it.

3. I trust the US government more than my home country's government. I truly believed I wouldn't get into any trouble from the US Immigration when I returned here, and I was right.

Devi

how long did u stay in your country?

jackdanie7 said:
PM, so you’re planning to use your just National Passport? Most people will use Travel Document to and from the U.S. /Country of Transit, and use NP to and from COT/COP. Make copies of the Boarding Passes to and from the U.S./COT. This is sufficient for verification of the continuous residency requirement.

Don’t worry about the Boarding Passes to and from the COT/COP.

Anyways, I just thought you may want to know. Have a nice and safe trip. Keep us updated!
how you can enter COT with RTD and exit with NP..then renter agaim with NP and exit with RTD?
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
jubilee said:
how you can enter COT with RTD and exit with NP..then renter agaim with NP and exit with RTD?
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well you show ND to enter your home country and get a stamp and use it to get out of the country. You use RTD to enter U.S.A....Sometimes your home country will stamp both the RTD or rentry permit and your NP..

wantmygcnow said:
Well you show ND to enter your home country and get a stamp and use it to get out of the country. You use RTD to enter U.S.A....Sometimes your home country will stamp both the RTD or rentry permit and your NP..
I'm talk about the country of transit.
how you can enter with RTD and exit with NP?.

:rolleyes:

i am surprised to hear that some COP even stamp RTD?
if i show them my RTD, i would be arrested without questions :eek:

Punjabi_Munda said:
Guys,
Regards,
Punjabi Munda.

Punjabi Munda,

I wish you a joyous and safe trip. Do not listen to this crap about not to go back after GC approval. May God be with you my son :D

NP vs. RTD

I'm all confused with this whole arguments about not using your NP. The only valid reason for not using your NP is the idea that by renewing your NP, you are reclaiming your citizenship to your home country. Now, that is according to the UN asylum/refugee policy. The US however, has a different policy, whereas it has stated in its welcome letter that once you got your permanent residency, your status will be the same as other GC holders. So if you have renewed your NP, why bother obtaining RTD? That just doesn't make sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Devi Dewata, jubilee who is from India and had any experience renewing NP from SFO. My passport expired 2 years ago and their new passport form has a question , " Did you get asylum in US"? Any experience??

Asylee13 said:
Devi Dewata, jubilee who is from India and had any experience renewing NP from SFO. My passport expired 2 years ago and their new passport form has a question , " Did you get asylum in US"? Any experience??
sorry I'm not from india.
I lost my passport long time ago and I have no attention to apply for one.
I don't think that the consulate ask this kind question!!..even if they ask said no ..this is nobody business anyway
:D