• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Ghana 2008

I have heard people say that teaching is the most sought after profession in the US. However, from discussions with colleagues in the US one needs to be holding a form of teachers certificate obtained in the US. Is this the case of variation among states?

Hey Gooma!!!
try to refrain from listening to negative voices... follow your instincts and stay positive at all times.US is BIG , there are opportunities as well as problems but the more you stay positive the more you can see the positive side of things. You'll at a point have to obtain a US teaching certificate in order to attain the heights you want to achieve in your career just like any other profession, but for a start, your experienced coupled with your academic qualifications as well as transcripts and commendations from your current employer should be enough to get your foot into the door.Obviously you don't expect to go straight into an executive role as soon as you get to the US.I know of a couple of people who have migrated from the UK to the US with their teaching profession. I tell you that you even stand a better chance with the DV lottery visa which offers the added advantage of a GC.Point of correction..... teaching is not the most sought after profession in the US but one of the most sought after.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Gooma!!!
try to refrain from listening to negative voices... follow your instincts and stay positive at all times.US is BIG , there are opportunities as well as problems but the more you stay positive the more you can see the positive side of things. You'll at a point have to obtain a US teaching certificate in order to attain the heights you want to achieve in your career just like any other profession, but for a start, your experienced coupled with your academic qualifications as well as transcripts and commendations from your current employer should be enough to get your foot into the door.Obviously you don't expect to go straight into an executive role as soon as you get to the US.I know of a couple of people who have migrated from the UK to the US with their teaching profession. I tell you that you even stand a better chance with the DV lottery visa which offers the added advantage of a GC.Point of correction..... teaching is not the most sought after profession in the US but one of the most sought after.

Uk degrees are usually recognised in the US and not Degrees from Third world Nations. A few people have been lucky enough to get a job with their degrees from africa but thats a few in God knows how many. U're chances of getting hired as a teacher here with a degree obtained from some unknown african college is very slim. Plan on getting urself a minimum wage job and maybe enrolling in a couple of classes at a 2 yr college in the town you move to. Am not trying to be negative but sometimes, folks overseas do not believe what folks in America are telling them.

As to what I intend to do in the US, I wrote TEACHING. What do i say if i am asked the same question at the interview since i may not qualify to teach instantly?

yea

dude, u need to quit talking about visa getting used up. i don't think it has happened yet. KCC is very careful about that and thats why they are slowing the cut-off for nigeria so that anyone whose number is current atleast has a shot at getting the visa

dat is very correct

As to what I intend to do in the US, I wrote TEACHING. What do i say if i am asked the same question at the interview since i may not qualify to teach instantly?

what you wrote in your form does not really matter, because dey are not qonna qet u a job,
my advice is dis, for people miqratinq to US, and ave a deqree just be focused on what you wish to do as a profession, if it is teachinq you will need to do evaluation and dat is applicable to everybody, and den write d board exams, u are qood to qo.

but u need to know what u really want to do to be able to achieve, and dat is y we need information

I've never been to the US before I know some professors who taught in some universities there after undergoing some form of education there. Personally I am thinking of a high school teaching before I have my Masters there. Will my B.Ed degree in Ghana help me?

if you lecture in d third world and have a doctorate, you may have to start by lecturinq in d colleqes (not hiqh school) d states, if u also ave any deqree jut do your evaluation, and try to write toefl especially if u want to continue your eductaion and u want your previous deqree to be considered,
you dont ave to start all over

Hi Comrades,

Thanks very much for your responses. I think a clearer picture has been given. I have just posted similar questions in some other threads only to realise that justice has been done to it.

Good luck to all.

Has anyone with Ghana chargeability for DV2008 been granted a visa yet?
Wife won the lottery, forms completed and sent to Kentucky and received on 20/06/07.
Since then No news. We live in London and requested the posting to be done to London.
Case num: AF00030XXX.
Should we contact Kentucky to check on progress? Could medicals be done before second letter arrives. Does anyone know of a recognised medical centre in London for DV issues?
Desperately waiting

Has anyone with Ghana chargeability for DV2008 been granted a visa yet?
Wife won the lottery, forms completed and sent to Kentucky and received on 20/06/07.
Since then No news. We live in London and requested the posting to be done to London.
Case num: AF00030XXX.
Should we contact Kentucky to check on progress? Could medicals be done before second letter arrives. Does anyone know of a recognised medical centre in London for DV issues?
Desperately waiting

AF00030XXX??? you sure should be ready by June .I'm 99% sure your CN will be current.By now you should be working towards obtaining your police reports beccause that can take longer than the medical .With regards to the medical you can follow this link for all the latest info you might need http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/visa/iv/medexam.html. Better still you can call KCC on the number supplied in the 1st Notificcation package. Do not forget to quote your CN in all communications.You can get in touch on 07960088449 so we can share more thoughts and ideas.

Thanks Abeku66,
The information is very helpful.
Are the police reports the normal CRB checks in the UK or not. If it is a different one how do I go about it.

Thanks again

No Exam?

I just called ccra Emb to inquire about when and where to do the medical exam. I was advised to go for the interview without the exam. Confused! Has anybody gone through this before?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just called ccra Emb to inquire about when and where to do the medical exam. I was advised to go for the interview without the exam. Confused! Has anybody gone through this before?

Best option. Wait for your 2ND NL to come .I'm sure there will be detailed info on where and when to get the medical done.When is your Interview anyway ??

Best option. Wait for your 2ND NL to come .I'm sure there will be detailed info on where and when to get the medical done.When is your Interview anyway ??

6th May- less than six weeks. The guy said because the medicals is expensive, it is recommended that it is done after the interview. He wouldnt say how much anyway. I have emailed them for written confirmation.

6th May- less than six weeks. The guy said because the medicals is expensive, it is recommended that it is done after the interview. He wouldnt say how much anyway. I have emailed them for written confirmation.

That makes sense. They know that in Ghana it's not easy to come by that sort of money for medicals. As such they want to be absolutely sure that you will be given the visa before you spend that kind of money.Take their word for it and go for the interview on that day.It's a good idea that you've requested for a written confirmation and i'm sure whatever the written confirmation says will be re-iterated in the 2nd NL, fingers crossed.To be proactive however, you can email KCC directly for confirmation if you are not particularly comfortable with the situation. My conviction is that you sound good,smart and intelligent enough to be denied .Just get the other relevant documents ready and i'm sure you'll be smiling on the 6th May. Don't forget to share your experience with us when you 're done.Love to everybody in Ghana including Kuffour.
Take care
Abeku.

That makes sense. They know that in Ghana it's not easy to come by that sort of money for medicals. As such they want to be absolutely sure that you will be given the visa before you spend that kind of money.Take their word for it and go for the interview on that day.It's a good idea that you've requested for a written confirmation and i'm sure whatever the written confirmation says will be re-iterated in the 2nd NL, fingers crossed.To be proactive however, you can email KCC directly for confirmation if you are not particularly comfortable with the situation. My conviction is that you sound good,smart and intelligent enough to be denied .Just get the other relevant documents ready and i'm sure you'll be smiling on the 6th May. Don't forget to share your experience with us when you 're done.Love to everybody in Ghana including Kuffour.
Take care
Abeku.

Thanks for the encouragement, namesake. From Mankessim area? Anyway Ghana is fine, except that there is less work and less money. What do we expect? Hahaa. Praying for those with high CN too.

check out these forms

if you go thru this page, there are some nice forms to read about especially the link provided. I'm also chargeable to Ghana living in London but waiting for news. My number is 28XXX so i reckon I'll hear somethin in April, I called KCC and they told me to call back after 15th April. My friend had 10XXX and is now in New Jersey. He was only asked two ?s, how did you feel when you won and where do you intend to stay. good luck but i hope 30XXX would also be available soon. Catch u later bro