Getting Married

Nipster

Registered Users (C)
I've had my GC for 4 years. I'm planning on getting married in a few months. My fiance is already in the US and has graduated from college with her bachelors degree and now under practical training and working for a company that will not process H-1b visas. Her practical training ends in May, 2009, upon which time she will have to go home since she is not planning to go to graduate school.

I've heard that it takes a really long time to process residency for GC holders spouses. Is this true? If so, how long?

Is it advisable to get my marriage registered here in the US as opposed to back home (in Sri Lanka)?

Is there anyway that she could be in the country after her practical training ends (without having to go back to school)?

Thanks -Nipster

You face a huge uphill battle sponsoring her until you get citizenship -- like YEARS. It would probably be simpler for you to not start the process until then. Then it will only take a couple of MONTHS to get her sponsored.

Where the marrige is registered is immaterial.

Her only recourse, short of H1 is to go back to school or go back home and wait.

I would choose school. Others may have other options for you.

You need to make things a bit simpler. Have her move to a job that will sponsor her for an H1-B (yes, that is a valid reason for change). You have 8months to try this option first. Then you sponsor her for a GC (I assume you will be a citizen by Nov 2009)

Other option is school, but sounds like your fiance is not really sure about what she wants because she would have lookied for another job by now.

Having her go back to Lanka will make everything harder for you both....long waiting times

Transferring from F-1 student on OPT to Visitor

Hi all,
Based on your responses I have decided to wait until I get my citizenship to apply for her. However, her practical training will be running out in May, 2009. Her current employer is not willing to sponsor for H1-b. Going back to school is not an option at the moment.

I have heard that she can transfer from F-1 student on OPT to Visitor status before her OPT runs out by visiting the local immigration office, which will allow her to stay in the country (without working of course)

**Is this true?
**If so, how long will she be able to stay in the country?

Thanks -Nipster

Transferring from F-1 student on OPT to Visitor

Thanks Jackolantern for the quick reply.

Any ideas on how to go about this? Is there a specific form I need to fill out or do I need to go to the local immigration office to inquire about this?

Will there be any negative consequences of changing status like this for her in the future (possibly increased wait times etc. for her naturalization process?)

Best Regards -Nipster

Any ideas on how to go about this? Is there a specific form I need to fill out or do I need to go to the local immigration office to inquire about this?

She'll need to file an I-539.

Will there be any negative consequences of changing status like this for her in the future (possibly increased wait times etc. for her naturalization process?)

No, not really. But the bigger question is what happens when her status extension is up and you still are not a citizen.

what if she runs out of status and get maried to USC? which you will become one, Nipster. Anybody have any idea? Will she be deported at the interview to change her status?