Getting Married on a B2

Nightkd

Registered Users (C)
How easy or complicated is it to apply for a Green Card if I were to visit the US on a B2 and marry my USC Fiancé?

With no intention to of course. But if I were to visit, as a tourist just seeing the sights and deciding whether I DID want to stay/marry my Fiancé...then we decided to get married while I was there....What would I have to do?

Do you want me to clarify for you?

If I got married on a B2 Visa, how would I go about getting a Green Card?

Here's the clarifying - We're not sure when we want to get married, so I don't want to apply for a K1 because that limits us to those 90 days and we HAVE to get married. I'd LIKE to apply for a B2 in order to visit the US for longer, as we have several important dates coming up over the next few months - a friend of both of us is having a late wedding reception, it's my partner's birthday and we're meant to be going on a trip, his parents anniversary where we're meant to be going on yet another trip with them and I'd like to take time to visit my family in San Diego. I also apparently have to experience Thanksgiving(!) and would like the chance to spend Christmas with my partner too.

I have no INTENTION of Marrying him within those 6 months, but I'd like to know if we did decide to get married, what I would have to do from then in order to get a Green Card?

I don't want personal judgement passed on me, I'm simply asking for some advice so I can be fully informed, whatever decision we make.

I have no INTENTION of Marrying him within those 6 months, but I'd like to know if we did decide to get married, what I would have to do from then in order to get a Green Card?

Your statement is contradictory.

If you have no intention of marrying him, then why are you asking? Get a K visa.

Ok, I've been watching anything on this particular issue, looking for answers.

So here's a Hypothetical...since you can't seem to answer her question with any kind of a productive response.

Say someone was visiting on a b2, they were just touristing around...and for all of you that don't feel like helping...met someone FOR THE FIRST TIME! They decide to get married, because they love each other! What would they have to do?

there is no problem with INTENTION of Marrying the problem is if you have intention to adjust befor you enter in US. Also, to adjust from B2 is usually straight forward process.

Ok, I've been watching anything on this particular issue, looking for answers.

So here's a Hypothetical...since you can't seem to answer her question with any kind of a productive response.

Say someone was visiting on a b2, they were just touristing around...and for all of you that don't feel like helping...met someone FOR THE FIRST TIME! They decide to get married, because they love each other! What would they have to do?

Didn't I just advise her to check the sticky on how to's for a GC????!!!! that typically answers everythin!

Maybe someone who has done this should answer :)

I came here on a B2. I was going to stay for a few months and then go back to my home country for a K2 visa. We didn't want to be apart for that long (visa processing time was 6 months) so we decided to get married on short notice and apply for AOS.

No problems yet. I am still waiting for my interview notice.
Our marriage is genuine and we can prove that with all the joint accounts etc and photos.
The interview will not be easy. I'm expecting the IO to grill us on what, when, how and why.
Like you said in your previous thread, your USC boyfriend does not understand.
I had to take my husband to an immigration attorney to make him understand how serious this all is and what he needs to do. My husband is an extremely intelligent and wonderful man, but he had no sense of priority on this matter. He was taking it all too lightly.

I got my B2 from the London embassy. If you're going there then take a brolly. We had to wait outside in the rain for 2 hours before we went in. 3 security checks later and you wait for another 5 hours.

Apply for AOS after 90 days have passed since they entered on B-2.

Thanks for the helpful replies. I did skim the sticky, but it hasn't got exactly the information I was looking for.. Thanks.

Maybe someone who has done this should answer :)

I came here on a B2. I was going to stay for a few months and then go back to my home country for a K2 visa. We didn't want to be apart for that long (visa processing time was 6 months) so we decided to get married on short notice and apply for AOS.

No problems yet. I am still waiting for my interview notice.
Our marriage is genuine and we can prove that with all the joint accounts etc and photos.
The interview will not be easy. I'm expecting the IO to grill us on what, when, how and why.
Like you said in your previous thread, your USC boyfriend does not understand.
I had to take my husband to an immigration attorney to make him understand how serious this all is and what he needs to do. My husband is an extremely intelligent and wonderful man, but he had no sense of priority on this matter. He was taking it all too lightly.

I got my B2 from the London embassy. If you're going there then take a brolly. We had to wait outside in the rain for 2 hours before we went in. 3 security checks later and you wait for another 5 hours.

This is really helpful, thank you for posting your experience so far!

If you don't mind me asking, what are you planning to answer in terms of the "what, when, how and why"s? I don't mind if you'd prefer to PM me either.

Thanks again.

The whole truth and nothing but the truth :)
This is important. I think they're trained to sniff out liars :p

We only got married at the end of my 6 months so hopefully it shows that it wasn't my intent to immigrate.

Will you admit that you made the decision to get married then because the processing time for the fiancé visa was too long? And do they interview both of you?

I am terrified of lying to em, so no worries there. I just want to know what would be bad to say! :)

We're going to talk to a lawyer tomorrow, so hopefully he can answer a few of our questions... :)

Thanks!

Note that if you use the B2 visa too soon (less than 2-3 months) after ending your 90-day VWP trip, you might not get 6 months with the B2 ... it could be as little as 1-3 months.