• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Getting DV visa without passport?

josh000

Registered Users (C)
I have a problem with my passport, as it is damaged and not fit for travel.

I asked the embassy about postponing my interview, however I was advised to still turn up to the interview and deal with my passport issue at a later date.

I will have all my other stuff, police certs, birth certificate and school records.

Is it possible to be granted the visa without the passport? What are the chances I will be refused?

How long would it take? You can probably go through your interview and tell them you've applied for a new passport. I think they can wait for it. There are often delays to the visa process, and I think the embassy/consulate will work with you. At this point, you ought to apply for a new passport, but retain your current one for visa processing. In the off-chance that they accept it, you can use that and your new passport to enter the US.

How long would it take? You can probably go through your interview and tell them you've applied for a new passport. I think they can wait for it. There are often delays to the visa process, and I think the embassy/consulate will work with you. At this point, you ought to apply for a new passport, but retain your current one for visa processing. In the off-chance that they accept it, you can use that and your new passport to enter the US.

It takes 10 days. The problem is I have to sacrifice my old passport to get a new one, so it is a choice of attending the interview with a damaged passport, or postponing.....

I intend to apply for a new passport the day of my interview, as I can't do it before..

I'm just worried what the chances are of being refused because of my passport if everything else is in order?

count back!

I have a problem with my passport, as it is damaged and not fit for travel.

I asked the embassy about postponing my interview, however I was advised to still turn up to the interview and deal with my passport issue at a later date.

I will have all my other stuff, police certs, birth certificate and school records.

Is it possible to be granted the visa without the passport? What are the chances I will be refused?

http://forums.immigration.com/showt...t-DV-2012-as-a-selectee&p=2442666#post2442666

I looked at the post and started counting......Sept,Oct,Nov........!!!!

Anyways not too late yet, just follow the embassy instructions.
Most probably they will just hold on the decision until they see the PP.
If they have other reasons to reject, they will let you know regardless the PP, IMO.

Best!

http://forums.immigration.com/showt...t-DV-2012-as-a-selectee&p=2442666#post2442666

I looked at the post and started counting......Sept,Oct,Nov........!!!!

I don't understand?

Anyways not too late yet, just follow the embassy instructions.
Most probably they will just hold on the decision until they see the PP.
If they have other reasons to reject, they will let you know regardless the PP, IMO.

Best!

Well, thanks! I probably don't have too much to worry about but I would hate to come so close and be denied!

You are likely to get an administrative refusal 221(g) at the interview (usualy lack of documents). When your passport is ready, you will submit it and get a visa.

Well that's fine!

I was just worried they would refuse to see me at all and I might lose my chance since it says to come with a valid passport. Is that not likely?

I think what NUV was saying is you are an idiot - how long have you had to get your stuff together - geeze you have asked some cracker questions...

There is no need to be insulting. I have 0 experience with immigration stuff, so all this new to me. I wanted clarification on some stuff, I don't see the issue.

Looking at some of the questions you've posted many could be said to be lacking as well.

As for having all my stuff together....I did, which has nothing to do with bad luck and being unable to rectify the problem in time for my interview.

You will be fine

I suggest you go with your damaged passport. Explain your situation during your CP. Remember that as long as you are honest with them, they are human beings just like you and I, they will understand your problem and give you time to sort it out. They might not apply you visa in your damaged passport. However, you need to show them the damaged passport, and allow them to decide if they will apply the visa in it or not. Do not go there and tell them about a damaged passport that you do not have in hand. As long as all your other documents are in order you will be fine. they are human, and they do not bite!, be yourself and explain your situation... All the best.