Getting a RTD when I got a new NP

TINDC6

Hello Friends,

I need to apply for the RTD again this year, last time was four years ago, my problem is that my NP expired and tried to renew and they instead issued a new one, now I am applying for the RTD and there is a question in the I-131 part 3 where ask if I get a NP and if the answer is yes I need to explain why, now what I have to say? there is so much information about having or not a NP when you are traveling because some countries don't recognize the RTD, what do i need to mention in the application to make sure I'll get a new RTD?

Thanks in advance

You have a GC, and an NP, and you're not comfortable traveling on your NP even though you renewed it? And, if you DO want a USCIS document, how about an RP, which is valid for 2 years instead of 1? That's what I meant.

OP=original post(er)

Last edited by a moderator:
You were an asylee but now that you have a GC, you can apply for a 2-year Re-entry Permit instead of the RTD, which is valid for only one year.

However they both serve different purposes. The OP does not want a document that will allow him to stay out of the US for an extended period. The OP wants a document which will allow him to travel in lieu of a passport. That document is an RTD, not REP.

You were an asylee but now that you have a GC, you can apply for a 2-year Re-entry Permit instead of the RTD, which is valid for only one year.

Actually, TC, they're BOTH travel documents. I'm an asylee travelling on an RP at the moment :) Yes, the RTD is specifically for refugees/asylees, but as an LPR, the RP works too, and is a much better option in most cases.

So foreign consulates place visa stickers on RP documents as well? One can use them to enter third countries? I did not know that. Thanks for the information.

Actually, TC, they're BOTH travel documents. I'm an asylee travelling on an RP at the moment :) Yes, the RTD is specifically for refugees/asylees, but as an LPR, the RP works too, and is a much better option in most cases.

Yup. Other countries have a travel document called an "Alien's Passport" which allows foreign residents to travel if they are unable to get a passport from their own country. These foreigners don't have to be refugees/asylees, though. The US doesn't really have something like it, but the RP is close enough, so that's what I equate it to.

OK now I am double confuse, I hold a GC since Nov-2006, do i need to apply for RTD or RP? which one is better? is it going to affect me in my future if I got a NP last month?

You can apply for either an RTD or RP. I suggest the RP, unless you travel a lot to Germany, for which you don't need a visa if you have an RTD. You can also travel on your NP. Since you renewed it, I assume you're ok with that. In that case, you don't need either the RTD or RP. If you can justify the use of your NP, then you won't have trouble during your citizenship interview. You won't have any problems travelling and coming back to the US, unless you go to your COP, in which case they might question you.

Well, at least before you get your GC, it isn't advisable to renew your NP, so yes, you'd need an RTD to travel abroad.