get new SSN card?

AmIinTrouble

Registered Users (C)
Ok, I got my passport. Now, do I have to get a new SSN card which does not say "Valid for work only with INS authorization" Mine says this becuase I came here on a H1B visa many years ago.

Visit Local SS office with your.

1. Naturalization Certificate
2. Old SSN card
3. Photo ID

Ok, I got my passport. Now, do I have to get a new SSN card which does not say "Valid for work only with INS authorization" Mine says this becuase I came here on a H1B visa many years ago.

You need to get new SSN card (same number). Did you not change it after GC? I think you could have done it then as well.

You need to get new SSN card (same number). Did you not change it after GC? I think you could have done it then as well.

I did not even know about it. I guess, I'll try to get it done this week. I haven't changed jobs in seven years. Employer did not ask for new card.

You definitely need to visit your local Social Security Office upon becoming a US Citizen. Not just for your employers and potential future employers, but also because as a USC you are eligible for certain Social Security benefits only granted to Citizens! You would be wise to also let your bank ,the one you conduct business with most, know ( eg mine had me listed as a LPR, certain bank rates also only are granted to USC ) Also update your DL. Mine had me listed as a Foreign National on top. My new driver's license is just like my husband's now.

i think you can go to any Soc Sec office or ...????

Just wanted to know, if one can go to any Soc Sec office or do they have definded areas of jurisidiction?
-nitinkrsri

You would be wise to also let your bank ,the one you conduct business with most, know ( eg mine had me listed as a LPR, certain bank rates also only are granted to USC )

If your bank tries such a stunt, you do need to inform your bank - not that you are a citizen, but that you are switching banks.

I remember a Vanguard form asking for Citizen/GC/etc status for mutual funds/401K/IRA.

Sure; they need to record whether you are a US tax resident or not. But there's no sane bank that would offer better rates for US citizens over aliens solely on the basis of citizenship. That would get them sued into oblivion, not to mention that most Americans are broke anyways... :)

I just checked the www.ssa.gov website for the nearest SSA office, and went there to change the status to citizen. Just showed the new US passport as proof. Take a nice book to read - it might take as much as 2 hours depending on the crowd there. I was told that we will get the new SS cards within a week or so.

went to fremont ssa office. they are so confused, they wanted new form with USC, they made few corrections like change of address etc. told i do not need a new card, but she requested one by mistake, so i will get it.

When to cancel Indian passport?

went to fremont ssa office. they are so confused, they wanted new form with USC, they made few corrections like change of address etc. told i do not need a new card, but she requested one by mistake, so i will get it.

When did you cancel the Indian passprot ?

Thanks

n

You have to filling in an application form (same a NEW SSN form). Mention your current SSN on the form, and place a tick mark against 'Citizen'. Then when you are called in, show your passport or naturalization certificate at the counter.