General Help Question

p3la06

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone, I am 18 years old and have lived the past 17 out of 18 years here in California. I was born in Mexico and was brought over the border just before my first birthday. I have gone through my general education K-12 here in CA and have been trying to get funds to attend the University Of Davis (in CA). The problem is that I am an illegal alien and no one will give me a loan. This has gone on for two years where I have been accepted to the University but cannot come up with the money to attend. I get so frustrated because even though I am not an American I have spent the majority of my life here. I learned to speak English as my first language here, I know American history and lifestyles here; yet I have little to no knowledge of the history and lifestyle of Mexico. I am stuck in a loophole where I have finished all my lower division classes in a community college but cannot attend any higher learning schools because of the funds that are required to attend. I have come close to getting co-signers but they have all turned their backs on me with some sort of excuse. I don't want to go back to where I was born, I want to stay here and make a great living and contribute to this country. What are my options? Thanks.

well you would have to get married and apoly for GC then get some financial aid or loan. or you will have to get a co-signer which is not very easy to come by like u said, except they are family memebrs.

she/he can't apply for GC even if she/he gets married - she came without inspection.

she/he has her parents to thank for her illegal status.

If you haven't turned 18.5 by now, you have not accumulated any illegal presense over 180 days. If you leave the US now, you will not be subject to 3-10 year ban. It will not affect your immigrant visa, if you ever get one, but I doubt that you have a chance to get a non-immigrant visa, like F-1.

FYI I am a male and thank you for the input. So you're saying that even by marrying it would not be possible to obtain a gc? Couldn't I use the excuse that I was brought in as an infant? I mean it's not like I could've stopped them.

Couldn't I use the excuse that I was brought in as an infant? I mean it's not like I could've stopped them.

Whether you have a valid reason for your situation or not is somewhat irrelevant, unfortunately. In order to adjust status, you must have been inspected on entry to the US. If you do not meet that requirement, no matter what the reason, then you do not qualify.

I'm going to find someway to get that loan, finish up my studies and work for a company that can help me get a GC. How about that? Or how about joining the military?

Last edited by a moderator:
one more time - in order to ever legalize you have to enter with an inspection - that is, with a visa or a visa waiver (in case of a Canadian citizen - neither). You have not entered with inspection. Your chances of getting a GC through Adjustment of status are pretty much null, unless there is a private bill that is introduced on your behalf by a congressman/senator or something like that. Since you really have done nothing for the States yet, and you don't have any USC relatives for whom your departure would be an extreme hardship, I don't see how you would get that. Read up on it if you want to.

If you do NOT accumulate more than 180 days of illegal presense past your 18th birthday, you would still be eligible for a GC through consular processing. However, this way is only feasible for you through a USC spouse at this time, since no employer would want to sponsor you without any education/experience.

I found a co-signer, looks like I'm going to Davis. I'll finish up my computer engineering studies and try to work something out with an employer or last resort go work in my country of birth.

I found a co-signer, looks like I'm going to Davis. I'll finish up my computer engineering studies and try to work something out with an employer or last resort go work in my country of birth.

Make sure you leave the US before 180 days have passed since your 18th birthday, or you can kiss employer sponsorship goodbye.

Darn well thats too late its only a month before my 19th b-day. It looks like I'm just gonna study in the U.S. then work somewhere else since thats my only option.

Darn well thats too late its only a month before my 19th b-day. It looks like I'm just gonna study in the U.S. then work somewhere else since thats my only option.

Just as an FYI; you are subject to the 3-year re-entry bar; once you leave the US you cannot re-enter for 3 years. The day you turn 19 you will be subject to the 10-year re-entry bar.

thanks for the tip, it looks like I will be leaving for good after my education then. thanks everyone for all the input.

i think you should go on with your studies, maybe by God's grace this bill bush has been proposing, maybe passed by next year, who knows, then you'll be in a better position than you are now,all hope is not lost.

thanks for the tip, it looks like I will be leaving for good after my education then. thanks everyone for all the input.

How exactly do you plan to be admitted in to an university without a SSN, Drivers License or proof of legal status? :rolleyes:

And how do you suppose to pay for your school loan, if you can not work in the US and will in fact leave, after you graduate? :rolleyes:

I think universities in CA are used to having lots of illegal aliens around, and sometimes they do not ask for proof of status, as long as the student pays his tuition and doesn't ask for scholarships or financial aid from the Uni.

I know zilch about Cali, but if you ever end up in New York P3....,

(he doesn't have to work or live in the US in order to make payments on his loan- yes an income is needed, but it doesn't have to be here- earning US dollars. Where ever he chooses to live, he just has to consider the conversion rate)

http://chronicle.com/subscribe/login?url=/daily/2002/06/2002062603n.htm

N.Y. Legislature Passes Bill to Provide Illegal Immigrants In-State Tuition Rates
By SARA HEBEL

The New York State Legislature has passed legislation that would allow certain immigrants living in the United States illegally to pay in-state tuition rates at the City University of New York and the State University of New York. The bill, which the governor had requested and is expected to sign, would reverse policies at both institutions.

Members of the State Assembly approved the legislation on Tuesday by a vote of 78 to 69. The State Senate had passed an identical bill on Thursday by a vote of 40 to 21.

I know zilch about Cali, but if you ever end up in New York P3....,

(he doesn't have to work or live in the US in order to make payments on his loan- yes an income is needed, but it doesn't have to be here- earning US dollars. Where ever he chooses to live, he just has to consider the conversion rate)

http://chronicle.com/subscribe/login?url=/daily/2002/06/2002062603n.htm

N.Y. Legislature Passes Bill to Provide Illegal Immigrants In-State Tuition Rates
By SARA HEBEL

The New York State Legislature has passed legislation that would allow certain immigrants living in the United States illegally to pay in-state tuition rates at the City University of New York and the State University of New York. The bill, which the governor had requested and is expected to sign, would reverse policies at both institutions.

Members of the State Assembly approved the legislation on Tuesday by a vote of 78 to 69. The State Senate had passed an identical bill on Thursday by a vote of 40 to 21.

Interesting... but if I was a loan approval officer, I would not believe that a person who is not authorized to work (or that will leave the US and won't be able to return for 10 years) will pay back the sum :rolleyes: (or course such details will probably not be disclosed).

And then... you could always have ICE knock in your dorm room door :p

Interesting... but if I was a loan approval officer, I would not believe that a person who is not authorized to work (or that will leave the US and won't be able to return for 10 years) will pay back the sum :rolleyes: (or course such details will probably not be disclosed).

Let's leave the judgement call about P3 in the hands of the co-signer.

you're acting as if i wont pay back the loan. im going to get a job in Mexico and even before that i'm going to be working; tutoring students, money under the table. with my field of study i'm bound to get a great job there and i will pay it back to the co-signer, simple as that. and joeie2000 thank you at least one person has hope on here! all the loan officers care is that they have a co-signer, someone that is a citizen so they can fall back on them just in case i don't pay which once again will not happen. as for davis letting me in....im already in & registered already! i have a social security btw from the government all it says though is "NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT" so i technically exist in their database somewhere. in CA if you have attended a high school for at least three years and have graduated with a HS diploma or ged or passed the equivalency test then you are able to get resident tuition so its cheaper. thank god for that. if by chance they do chance the laws to allow me to stay then i will be happy to stay, i really like it but if not what other choice do i have...