GC Holder, No GC or RTD/RP on hand, Can I travel to Canada?

RYCeT

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys, my 485 application has finally been approved in January but I haven't got my physical GC up to now. My NP has been expired and I haven't got RTD/RP yet. I'm considering a road trip to Canada. From what I've read in this forum, A GC holder won't need passport to travel to Canada.

So is there a way for me to prove I'm a GC Holder without having the actual GC or RTD/RP? or Am I pretty much screwed until I get either GC or RTD/RP.

Is it possible to have my GC production expedite?

Why is it taking that long to get your green card?

You need legal proof of LPR status to enter Canada (and return to the U.S), like an official temporary stamp from the USCS.

If you do not have a passport, they will give you the stamp into special I-94 with picture ID (arrival record)

Hi guys, my 485 application has finally been approved in January but I haven't got my physical GC up to now. My NP has been expired and I haven't got RTD/RP yet. I'm considering a road trip to Canada. From what I've read in this forum, A GC holder won't need passport to travel to Canada.

So is there a way for me to prove I'm a GC Holder without having the actual GC or RTD/RP? or Am I pretty much screwed until I get either GC or RTD/RP.

Is it possible to have my GC production expedite?

Schedule an InfoPass at your local USCIS District/Field Office and take the following:
1.) The I-485 approval letter
2.) Government issued ID (such as driver's license)
3.) 2 color photographs (taken within the last 3 months)
4.) Blank form G-731 -Inquiry About Status of I-551, Alien Registration Card

Explain to the Immigration Officer that you have not yet received your green card and you would like to submit a form G-731- Inquiry About Status of I-551, Alien Registration Card. This form is used to inquire as to the status of an I-551, Alien Registration Card, for an alien who has adjusted status.

The Immigration Officer will assist you in completing out the form G-731 and you will then have to mail it to the address identified on the form.

Go here to download the Form G-731 http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

In addition, explain to the officer that you need temporary proof of permanent residence and since you do not have a valid passport - and cannot get one because you are an asylee - you would like a temporary greencard. They will take the two photographs and process a temporary greencard - valid for 1 year - on a large form I-94 to use until you get the actual plastic card.

Once you get the temporary card, you should be able to use that to enter Canada by land.

Good luck and please come back to let us know about your InfoPass visit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is it taking that long to get your green card?

You need legal proof of LPR status to enter Canada (and return to the U.S), like an official temporary stamp from the USCS.

Well, They have written on my I485 approval letter that they have 9-12 months to issue the greencard. :mad: My brothers got them in 8 and 11 months.

Btw, thank's lolali for your information. I'll post here my experience with infopass.

Hi guys, I just got my temporary green card, took them 10 minutes to process it by infopass appointment IF you got a good officer.
The reason I said IF, the first time I went there, I got a moron who do not understand what a temporary GC is, it also pissed me off since she tried to lie to me, telling me that my GC was approved last month so I have to wait for my GC while I got my application approved last January. Instead of wasting my time arguing with her, I just went home and scheduled another appointment. I guess second time is the charm, I got a different officer, she knew right away what I need and took 10 mins to get it done for me.

Hey RYCeT - I am glad you were able to get the temp. green card processed. Now you can go to Canada, but make sure you take a copy of the approval notice just in case the Canadian Offices - at the border - want additional proof. However, you shouldn't have a problem.

Did you also fill out the G-731 during the InfoPass session?

Hi LolaLi, thank's for your advice, I didn't fill out the G-731 during the infopass because I just got USCIS letter scheduling the biometrics last week so I don't think it's necessary to file for one. Hopefully my actual GC will be produced soon after they receive the biometrics info, took them 6 months to schedule biometrics, who knows how long will it take for them to actually produce the card.

Hi LolaLi, thank's for your advice, I didn't fill out the G-731 during the infopass because I just got USCIS letter scheduling the biometrics last week so I don't think it's necessary to file for one. Hopefully my actual GC will be produced soon after they receive the biometrics info, took them 6 months to schedule biometrics, who knows how long will it take for them to actually produce the card.

Hi,

I've a very similar case. Can i talk to you more about this.
If you dont mind can you please send me your number or email address to the following email address vardhan_svatyahoodotcom

Thanks
Vardhan

Hi,

I've a very similar case. Can i talk to you more about this.
If you dont mind can you please send me your number or email address to the following email address vardhan_svatyahoodotcom

Thanks
Vardhan

Hi Bachelor, I've sent you a pm, check your inbox, or you can post your question here so everyone can benefit from it.

Thank you RYCeT..

I thought i would need to go to local USCIS office to get the I-551 stamping done and i wanted to get more details from you about the I-551 stamping.
But today i've got my GC. So no need of going to the USCIS office.
My GC was approved on 4th August and i got my card on 8th August. Pretty fast.

Thanks

EB2 I

I got GC from 2005.
I don't have no one passport.
I wish to go in Canada like tourist, one week.
What documents I need?