GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

I'm applying for conucrrent-filing GC for my Mother who is 83 yrs old. She is in the US on visitor visa. Here are
my questions, kindly provide your experience:

1. Should I apply for extension of her visitor VISA (expires in June) while she waits for adjudication, or is the
receipt of application sufficient to maintain current status ?

2. Is it better to file concurrent or separately ?

3. Are there sample cover letters available in this forum for concurrent GC filing ?

thanks for your help!

Chaps

I filed my parents I-485 back in January 2017. They are here on visitor visa and their I-94 end date is May 20, 2017. Their fingerprint got over in Feb 2017. But haven't heard from USCIS since then. As present the USCIS status reads "As of April 10, 2017, we are ready to schedule your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status, Receipt Number MSCXXXXXXXXXX, for an interview. We will schedule your interview and send you a notice. Please follow any instructions in the notice. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address."

I am in NJ. Does this take so long for them to schedule and interview? Is this normal?

Also what happens to my parents I-94? Do I need to file for an extension for their stay?

Any guidance is appreciated.

I'm applying for conucrrent-filing GC for my Mother who is 83 yrs old. She is in the US on visitor visa. Here are
my questions, kindly provide your experience:

1. Should I apply for extension of her visitor VISA (expires in June) while she waits for adjudication, or is the
receipt of application sufficient to maintain current status ?
Don't apply for extension of status. That would involve lying. As long as she is applying for AOS, she can stay in the US.

2. Is it better to file concurrent or separately ?
Concurrently. There is no point to filing I-130 first.

Please everyone,
I found this forum very informative, though I have being on this platform for a while but I have a question which I will be needing your advice in dealing with it. I am trying to file for my parent to come over to United State, I am a US citizen but I am trying to understand the document that will accompany the form. I want to know which form to be filled and the sequence of filling. I will appreciate any advice that can be given.

Regards
mcdemmy1

Please everyone,
I found this forum very informative, though I have being on this platform for a while but I have a question which I will be needing your advice in dealing with it. I am trying to file for my parent to come over to United State, I am a US citizen but I am trying to understand the document that will accompany the form. I want to know which form to be filled and the sequence of filling. I will appreciate any advice that can be given.

Regards
mcdemmy1

Hi @mcdemmy1

I recommend you check out this link for further guidance https://www.uscis.gov/family/family...arents-live-united-states-permanent-residents

I hope this helps

Can anyone help
My parents who are on US tourist visa recently visited USA for 6 months and returned to India. I am planning to apply for family based green card for them.

1. While applying do they need to be in USA
2. Can they travel from India to USA once the family based green card application is in process ( I mean immediately on tourist visa as they have just left from USA to India)
3. How long would the process take?

Can anyone help
My parents who are on US tourist visa recently visited USA for 6 months and returned to India. I am planning to apply for family based green card for them.

2. Can they travel from India to USA once the family based green card application is in process ( I mean immediately on tourist visa as they have just left from USA to India)

1- They need to be in India and obtain their green card via U.S. Consulate/Embassy in India.
2- If they already have a tourist visa, then they can travel but could get some questioning at the POE, if the request for green card is approved and they submitted the DS260
3- The process takes several years and you can visit this website for more info. https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-through-family/green-card-immediate-relative-us-citizen

Can anyone help

Assuming you're a USC, you may petition your parents for permanent residency while they're in India. The process takes a year on average, and they would be interviewed in India under Consular Processing.
While they're eligible to travel to the US on a valid B visa, the pending I-130 may pose a challenge as they seek to enter on a pending immigrant status. Their best bet is to defer travel until after they have received their immigrant visas.

I just got off the phone with USCIS and as per them, Newark field office is processing applications from May 2016. Just wait till you hear anything. When I asked how long should I wait before I can inquire back, she said she has no idea. Is this real? Normally how long should we wait to hear back from USCIS?

I won the lottery two years ago, now I’m a permanent resident, and I just got married . My wife was a f1 student but she’s been out of status for at least 3 years’ , I would like to know if it’s safe to file for her so she can be a permanent resident too, or do we need to get her F1 status back before filing for the green card?

I won the lottery two years ago, now I’m a permanent resident, and I just got married . My wife was a f1 student but she’s been out of status for at least 3 years’ , I would like to know if it’s safe to file for her so she can be a permanent resident too, or do we need to get her F1 status back before filing for the green card?
You can petition for her, and it will be in the F2A category, which has a wait for visa numbers of around 2 years. Also, even when a visa number is available, she cannot do AOS in that category because she has been out of status. I see two options:
1) She could do Consular Processing abroad. Assuming she was admitted for "D/S" on her I-94, and she hasn't applied for some benefit to USCIS and been denied with a determination that she was out of status, and she hasn't been put into removal proceedings in immigration court, she hasn't accrued any "unlawful presence" yet, but she will start to accrue "unlawful presence" starting August 9, 2018. If she leaves the US after accruing 180 days of "unlawful presence", she will trigger a ban, so she needs to leave before February 2019, and stay abroad while waiting for a visa number to become available for her to do Consular Processing for an immigrant visa.
2) Or, she could continue to stay in the US until you naturalize (which will be at least 5 years after you became a permanent resident), at which point she will be able to do AOS. And she cannot leave the US in the meantime.

Assuming she was admitted for "D/S" on her I-94, and she hasn't applied for some benefit to USCIS and been denied with a determination that she was out of status, and she hasn't been put into removal proceedings in immigration court, she hasn't accrued any "unlawful presence" yet, but she will start to accrue "unlawful presence" starting August 9, 2018. If she leaves the US after accruing 180 days of "unlawful presence", she will trigger a ban, so she needs to leave before February 2019, and stay abroad while waiting for a visa number to become available for her to do Consular Processing for an immigrant visa.

Wow, no wonder they're changing the rules on that. People really got away with a lot! Out of status for 3 years with no consequence?!

Also @KING89 , there is zero chance of her getting F1 status back. Newacct's option 1 is probably your best bet.

An applicant such as your wife has to be in some form of legal status to change or adjust status from within the US. The only exception is for immediate members of US Citizens for whom an overstay is forgiven.

She should preferably follow Newacct's option 1; exit the US and apply for a spousal visa outside the US. Americans don't like anyone being in the US illegally and overstaying their visas.

Hello - I am a US Citizen and applied for a green card for my father in July of 2018. This application was filed when he was not in the country.

My question is this - is he allowed to visit us on a B-1 visa while the USCIS reviews his case?

Thank you in advance for your help with this.

Yes he is, but he should bring proof of reasons to return when he arrives as CBP may still refuse entry if they believe he will try stay rather than just visit. If he does not already have a B1 it may be difficult for him to get one at this stage.

As Susie noted above, if he already has a B2 visa, he could request admission at POE to visit. He needs to carry evidence of his return home, including a return ticket.
However, he may be viewed as an AOS risk. A number of IR visitors have done that in the past. Hopefully your father wouldn't be one of them.

Hi - I am a US citizen. Earlier this year, I started the GC process for my parents via consular processing (they are still in their home country - India) by initiating I-130 form.

I was curious what part of the immigration processing would involve police verification? Since police verification in India is a 1-2 month effort (and potentially longer if stuck in bureaucracy), my parents were wondering whether it made sense for them to initiate it with the police on their own, which in turn could expedite the process? Anyone have experience with this? or have any other tips to expedite the process?

I filed for my mother form I-130 which was approved. I got the I-797 approval. My mother is based in Chennai, India. What is the next step? NVC sends info to my mom? Thanks.