GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

Finally we received a fingerprint notice, but it is just for I765. We did not apply I765 along with I485/I130, but we have never received the fingerprint notice in almost 3 months. Therefore, I decided to apply for I765 (anyway it is free) and it worked. In about one month after filing I765, we received the fingerprint notice. After researching on the internet, it seems that one fingerprint will work for both I765 and I485.

Can we walk in to take the fingerprint in San Jose? I appreciate your input/suggestion.

George, you may try this if you still have not received the fingerprint notice. Good luck.
Our timeline:
Sent I-130/I485 in November, 2008
Notices in the first week of December, 2008
Notices for transferring at the end of December, 2008
No finger print for I485 until today
Applied for I765 at the end of January, 2009
Received the fingerprint notice for I765 on February 13th, 2009

Last edited by a moderator:
FP notice - finally

Hi SJCSantaClara,

I received the biometrics notice today. I had applied for I-765 together with I-485. This notice lists both applications.

I had called the customer serviceon 2/9/08 to enquire about the biometrics notice.

FP notice received

drgeorge, SJCsantaclara,

I also got FP notice for my parents, our cases are tracking closely, so lets keep each other informed.

AP approved on Jan 18,
FP Notice Received: Feb 23.

Friends,

I am filling I485 for my parents - There is a section in the form where you have to select an option for application type. I am not sure which one to select ( I have reviewed the forum but did not find the answer - if the question has been answered before, please direct me to the right section)

I am applying for an adjustment to permanent resident status because:
1. My spouse or parent applied for adjustment of status or was granted lawful permanent
residence in an immigrant visa category that allows derivative status for spouses and children.
2. I was granted asylum or derivative asylum status as the spouse or child of a person granted asylum and am eligible for adjustment.
3. I am a native or citizen of Cuba admitted or paroled into the United States after January 1,1959, and thereafter have been physically present in the United States for at least one year.
4. I am the husband, wife, or minor unmarried child of a Cuban described above in (e), and I am residing with that person, and was admitted or paroled into the United States after January 1,1959, and thereafter have been physically present in the United States for at least one year.
5. I have continuously resided in the United States since before January 1, 1972.
Other basis of eligibility. Explain (for example, I was admitted as a refugee, my status has not been terminated, and I have been physically present in the United States for one year after admission). If additional space is needed, use a separate piece of paper.
6 I have continously resided in US since before Jan, 1972
7.Other Basis of eligibility (Explain)

I selected other basis of eligibility and explained "My son is US citizen and he has applied for I130 Petition for alien relative". Am on right track or way off.

Your help is greatly appreciated

Regards,
TS

Friends,

I am filling I485 for my parents - There is a section in the form where you have to select an option for application type. I am not sure which one to select ( I have reviewed the forum but did not find the answer - if the question has been answered before, please direct me to the right section)

I am applying for an adjustment to permanent resident status because:
1. My spouse or parent applied for adjustment of status or was granted lawful permanent
residence in an immigrant visa category that allows derivative status for spouses and children.
2. I was granted asylum or derivative asylum status as the spouse or child of a person granted asylum and am eligible for adjustment.
3. I am a native or citizen of Cuba admitted or paroled into the United States after January 1,1959, and thereafter have been physically present in the United States for at least one year.
4. I am the husband, wife, or minor unmarried child of a Cuban described above in (e), and I am residing with that person, and was admitted or paroled into the United States after January 1,1959, and thereafter have been physically present in the United States for at least one year.
5. I have continuously resided in the United States since before January 1, 1972.
Other basis of eligibility. Explain (for example, I was admitted as a refugee, my status has not been terminated, and I have been physically present in the United States for one year after admission). If additional space is needed, use a separate piece of paper.
6 I have continously resided in US since before Jan, 1972
7.Other Basis of eligibility (Explain)

I selected other basis of eligibility and explained "My son is US citizen and he has applied for I130 Petition for alien relative". Am on right track or way off.

Your help is greatly appreciated

Regards,
TS

Yes you are on right track. If You are filing concurrent I-130 then write:
"An immediate relative petition is being filed concurrently with this application."
If I-130 is approved then write something similar mentioning approved.

GC for my mother

Hello,

I have received my citizenship last year. My mom is in the US and I am planning to apply for her GC. My question is would there be any problem if I don't apply GC for my dad at the same time but, just apply for my mother. My dad is still working in india.

Any suggestions are really appreciated.

Regards!!

Non-availability certificate

Hi
I sponsored my parents for a green card. I filed the application May 2, 2008. The forms went to the National Benifits Center. I submitted affidavits of birth for my parents and me. In June they came back asking for a non-availability certificate for my parents. We had no luck trying to get it from the municipalities in India. So, I got it from the local Indian consulate. In November, the case was transferred to the California Services Center. Now they have come back asking for the non-availability certificate again.

Any ideas on what else I can do? Could it be that they did not get a copy of the consulate paperwork as the package was transferred over

hi jaykum,

if you are in nearby area, you may go personally and resubmit the embasy letter and seek their comments, mentioning that you had earlier submitted this.

I also want to know the date when your case was transferred to csc. My case was transferred on 8 December. I want to estimate if my case is will be taken up early

Non-availability certificate

mintoob1
Thank you. I live in San Jose. How does one get to talk to someone in person? I am willing to try that

My package was transferred in Nov

Hi
I sponsored my parents for a green card. I filed the application May 2, 2008. The forms went to the National Benifits Center. I submitted affidavits of birth for my parents and me. In June they came back asking for a non-availability certificate for my parents. We had no luck trying to get it from the municipalities in India. So, I got it from the local Indian consulate. In November, the case was transferred to the California Services Center. Now they have come back asking for the non-availability certificate again.

Any ideas on what else I can do? Could it be that they did not get a copy of the consulate paperwork as the package was transferred over

Is the address to send RFE to different than last time? I would try sending this letter again.

you can take appointment online, it is call INFOPASS. The office is in san jose.
I am asking date on which your file was transferred.

GC for parents...

My parents are here in the US for about 3 months. They are currently in california and will spend the next 3 months with my brother in NJ.

Here are the questions:
- should we apply for their GC now? (by brother who is in NJ can apply for them as he is a USC. I just have a GC). They only have a 6 month visa.
- do they need to be in NJ or can they apply in NJ and travel to California?
- If they apply for GC in the next 2 months, can they stay in the US until they hear of the GC decision?
- This is regarding medical insurance. As my dad is over the age of 65 I believe that as soon as he gets GC, he will be covered by Medicaid. However, my mom who is 58 has diabetes. We hear that because of her illness, if she gets the GC she will need to wait until 65 to get medical coverage? Is that true? Dont US insurance companies cover GC holder under the age of 65?

Thanks in advance for your help!

My parents are here in the US for about 3 months. They are currently in california and will spend the next 3 months with my brother in NJ.

Here are the questions:
- should we apply for their GC now? (by brother who is in NJ can apply for them as he is a USC. I just have a GC). They only have a 6 month visa.
- do they need to be in NJ or can they apply in NJ and travel to California?
- If they apply for GC in the next 2 months, can they stay in the US until they hear of the GC decision?
- This is regarding medical insurance. As my dad is over the age of 65 I believe that as soon as he gets GC, he will be covered by Medicaid. However, my mom who is 58 has diabetes. We hear that because of her illness, if she gets the GC she will need to wait until 65 to get medical coverage? Is that true? Dont US insurance companies cover GC holder under the age of 65?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sorry to burst your bubble but
unless they have worked here, they are not eligible for medicare. Unless they
are below a certain income level, they are not eligible for medicaid. You are
sponsoring them and so they cant demand medicaid. Govt can come after you if they become public charge because you are the sponsor.

Sorry to burst your bubble but
unless they have worked here, they are not eligible for medicare. Unless they
are below a certain income level, they are not eligible for medicaid. You are
sponsoring them and so they cant demand medicaid. Govt can come after you if they become public charge because you are the sponsor.

Emergency Medicaid should not be a problem. Social Workers in the hospitals specially community hospitals can help. Buying medicare is another option. Also, some insurance companies now have hospital only coverage. At least the hospitalization costs can be covered that way. Of course everything is expensive.

Emergency Medicaid should not be a problem

In order to be eligible for a medicaid, one must be a legal resident for at least 5 years unlike in the past when a green card holder could be able to get medicaid right away once s/he gets green card.

As for the emergency medical help/treatment then it's provided to anyone and everyone regardless of one's immigration or financial status; but whoever will provide the emergency medical help will send the bill later on even if they will not refuse to provide the medical treatment in the emergency room. That means, bills will still need to be paid; otherwise collection activities will pursue. Plus, one would need to buy the medicine by his/her own even if s/he would be seen in the emergency room after departing from there.

thanks...

Thanks for your responses. This is indeed helpful.

Can anyone forward me to insurance companies that I can talk to regarding coverage for my parents?

Documention for parent / out of wedlock

My wife (naturalized USC) wants to get GC for her natural father who is listed on birth certificate, but her parents were not married at time of birth. What documentation can prove a satisfactory sponsoring daughter/father relationship for the I-130? We're having to go the CP route. :(

It would make sense that the same documentation for a sponsoring father/daughter relationship as described in the I-130 instructions, but it's not spelled out that way...

Many thanks...

James and Sandra

Hi All,

I recieved the notice of reciept on Friday 02/27 for my mom. What is the next step?

-Thanks,
Akapoor.

Just want to thank everybody on this forum who helped greatly in preparing forms etc. My Mother's GC was done very nicely without any RFE or interview in exactly 5 calendar months.

Thanks once again and best of luck to the rest.