GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

Hi Vasaapplicant

Good to know abou tthe tests. If there was no additional tests, that means things must be normal. DO they take chest X-Ray? If they find a problem, do they talk to you? Or is it iall in a sealed envelop?

Thanks
Dip123

Dip123,

I am sure in case of a problem/further tests, they will tell applicant. It is about applicant's health. I am not sure about chest X-ray. Probably not under normal circumstances.

Actual Green Card After Parent Arrive on Temp I-551 visa

Hi there,

My parents arrived in US 3 weeks ago with their IR5 visa (Temp I-551). We received their SS cards in the mail last week. I have two questions:

1- How long does it take till they receive their actual green cards?

2- Is it OK for them to travel to canada and come back not having their actual cards. In their passport on their visa it says: "UPON ENDORSEMENT IT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR".

Thanks a lot for advising me.
lidia

Hello Gurus,

I have the following question. My wife(USC) is planning to sponsor her mother via AOS when she comes here on a visitor visa shortly:

i) Her mother has a non-availability certificate and affidavits from people. My wife has lost her birth-certificate(BC), will a BC from SF indian consulate suffice since it is a hassle to get it from her municipality?

ii) For AOS, can the medical tests be done in India and then we can show those test and get form I-693 from a doctor here or the whole medical tests can be doen in India and can be included in the AOS package

iii)Once her mother gets a GC, does she need to stay alteast 6 mos every year(some of the year she will def. stay longer) in order to retain it, does she have to visit every year or get re-entry permit in case she visits alternate year(staying longer in the year she visits)?

Hello Gurus,

I have the following question. My wife(USC) is planning to sponsor her mother via AOS when she comes here on a visitor visa shortly:

i) Her mother has a non-availability certificate and affidavits from people. My wife has lost her birth-certificate(BC), will a BC from SF indian consulate suffice since it is a hassle to get it from her municipality?

ii) For AOS, can the medical tests be done in India and then we can show those test and get form I-693 from a doctor here or the whole medical tests can be doen in India and can be included in the AOS package

iii)Once her mother gets a GC, does she need to stay alteast 6 mos every year(some of the year she will def. stay longer) in order to retain it, does she have to visit every year or get re-entry permit in case she visits alternate year(staying longer in the year she visits)?

1. Your wife's BC is required alongwith I130 to establish relationship. USCIS instructions are very clear: either BC or NAC + 2 affidavits. You can try with consulate cert, if it works then fine or you will have deal with it when you get RFE.

2. I am not sure. Record of immunization from any place/time will be useful. However, almost all AOS applicants get their medical tests done in USA.

3. I am not sure. Please check USCIS website. I believe if a GC holder is going to be outside US for a year, a reentry permit is required.

Need some specific information on GC for parents.

I am a Naturalized USC. I am preparing I-864 individually for both my parents. My wife was working parttime last year. She is not working anymore since we are expecting our third child. This year I will be the only earner in the family. Everything we own is owned jointly - all of the equity and holding too. Also my present salary is not under the 125% of poverty line for 7 in Iowa (myself, wife, 2 kids, 1 more on the way, 2 parents).

Couple of questions I have:

1. When I submit last three years federal tax returns with I-864 those will be joint. Since I am individually sponsoring my parents, does my wife need to be a co-sponsorer, since we own everything jointly?
2. If yes, then her income for 2007 will be zero, would that cause a problem?3. Since both my parents are on different petitions, I have to file I-864 for each, so will I put house hold size of 5 (myself+wife+2kids+1parent) for each I-864?

I am a Naturalized USC. I am preparing I-864 individually for both my parents. My wife was working parttime last year. She is not working anymore since we are expecting our third child. This year I will be the only earner in the family. Everything we own is owned jointly - all of the equity and holding too. Also my present salary is not under the 125% of poverty line for 7 in Iowa (myself, wife, 2 kids, 1 more on the way, 2 parents).

Couple of questions I have:

1. When I submit last three years federal tax returns with I-864 those will be joint. Since I am individually sponsoring my parents, does my wife need to be a co-sponsorer, since we own everything jointly?
2. If yes, then her income for 2007 will be zero, would that cause a problem?3. Since both my parents are on different petitions, I have to file I-864 for each, so will I put house hold size of 5 (myself+wife+2kids+1parent) for each I-864?

1. The current requirement is to submit only the most recent (1 year) tax return. If your individual income is sufficient for your entire household, your wife does not need to be co-sponsor. You will submit your W2 statement. Please follow the instructions for I864.

2. No

3. Yes. On each parent's I864, I counted the other parent in the household size.

Update

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to give you'll an update on my parents' GC. They went for their interview on 3/1/07 and got their passports the next day with the immigrant visa valid for 6 months. They go their interview letter begining of Feb. Went to VFS with the paperwork about 10 - 15 working days prior to the interview.

Is there a way to extend the date by which they have to arrive in the US. For personal reasons they will need more than 6 months to take care of stuff.

Thanks for all your help and all the best with your respective cases.

AOS - I:485 question

Hi,

I am applying for AOS for my parents. i am filling out I-485, can you let me know what i should answer for the :

Part 2 : Application type : I am applying I-485 because ?

-
-
-
-
-

Which choice should i choose for in my case ? Is it choice (a) or choice (h) or something else ?

Thanks,

It should be 2a...even if you are filing all (I130, I485) together.

GC for both parents - I 864 question

Hi,

I am applying GC for my both parents simulatanerously through AOS.

My question is do i need to file 2 seperate 864 (one for each parent) OR can i just enclose photocopy for my mom, as her name is included in the first one along with my Dad ?

Thanks a lot

Federal poverty guidlines

Where can i see the federal poverty guidlines for a household size of 5 ?
Income should be more than 125%

Thanks a lot

How to take Afffidavits of Birth in US - what is the process ?

Hi All,

I am applying GC for my parents.

My birth certificate does not have my name on it, but has my parents name, date of birth and place of my birth.

I heard that having an Affidivat from my parents that i am their son would suffice, if i dont have my name of the birth certificate. Is this true ?

Also, since my parents are already in US, what is the process to get Affidavits from my parents ? Is there any stamped currency paper i need to take this on ? Who do i get it signed from on this paper ?

(In India, we used to take this on stamped currency paper and notarize it).

Thanks for your help !

What BC did you use to apply for your Green Card? I am in the same boat.
For My GC I used my BC (No Name) and affidavits from my Parents.
Using the same for their GC application. Hope INS wont have issues with it.

Hi,

I am applying GC for my both parents simulatanerously through AOS.

My question is do i need to file 2 seperate 864 (one for each parent) OR can i just enclose photocopy for my mom, as her name is included in the first one along with my Dad ?

Thanks a lot

You need 2 separate I864 (one for each parent).

Hi All,

I am applying GC for my parents.

My birth certificate does not have my name on it, but has my parents name, date of birth and place of my birth.

I heard that having an Affidivat from my parents that i am their son would suffice, if i dont have my name of the birth certificate. Is this true ?

Also, since my parents are already in US, what is the process to get Affidavits from my parents ? Is there any stamped currency paper i need to take this on ? Who do i get it signed from on this paper ?

(In India, we used to take this on stamped currency paper and notarize it).

Thanks for your help !

For your GC application, affidavits from parents would have been fine. Since parents are the beneficiaries of I130 petition filed by you, you may want to obtain 2 affidavits from other relatives.

In US, affidavit on a plain paper and notorized should be fine.

Visaapp,

Just saw your signature. Congratulations on your parents' approval! You sure had a long wait.

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to give you'll an update on my parents' GC. They went for their interview on 3/1/07 and got their passports the next day with the immigrant visa valid for 6 months. They go their interview letter begining of Feb. Went to VFS with the paperwork about 10 - 15 working days prior to the interview.

Is there a way to extend the date by which they have to arrive in the US. For personal reasons they will need more than 6 months to take care of stuff.

Thanks for all your help and all the best with your respective cases.

Congratulations! My parents also had their interview yesterday and were approved. It was pretty straightforward.

I do not know whether there is a way to extend the date. You can check with the consulate via email.