GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

needurhelp,

Thanks. Yes, indeed. Nowadays, CP is taking much longer than AOS. Also compared to other members' CP, ours took even longer without any reason. :rolleyes:

needurhelp,

Thanks. Yes, indeed. Nowadays, CP is taking much longer than AOS. Also compared to other members' CP, ours took even longer without any reason. :rolleyes:

CONGRATULATIONS, visaapplicant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
1 year is a reasonable time for parents CP processing. Becides, every case is different, every officer has different speed... :D
My mom's AOS took 1.5 years (no reason), my dad's AOS is still pending... it's been 26 months since we filed the paperwork, and 19 months after the interview...

CONGRATULATIONS, visaapplicant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
1 year is a reasonable time for parents CP processing. Becides, every case is different, every officer has different speed... :D
My mom's AOS took 1.5 years (no reason), my dad's AOS is still pending... it's been 26 months since we filed the paperwork, and 19 months after the interview...

Thanks, Anahit. You are right. When I see cases like yours, I am really thankful that our process turned out to be pretty straightforward.

I admire your patience and tenacity. Hopefully, your Dad's case will be approved soon.

Congratulations!

Congratulations Visaapllicant ! Good to know that your parents' GC got approved.

Parents CP in Mumbai - approved

My parents’ immigrant visas were approved through Consular Processing at Mumbai on 3/7/07. The complete timeline is below.

They had their medical exams done at Lilavati Hospital and got sealed reports for the consulate the same day. They submitted all the required originals/documents at VFS 10-15 days before interview. I had sent them copies of my paystub for the months after I864 was sent to NVC. These were also submitted at VFS.

They were asked to arrive at consulate for interview at 7:30 am. They reached there after 7 am and were seated inside consulate soon thereafter. They waited till 11 am when they were called for interview. They had taken with them my birth certificate, photos, letters, phone bills as evidence of relationship. They were not asked to show any additional documents. Consular Officer asked them a few basic questions: my (petitioner) name, my spouse’s name, how many children I have etc. He told them their applications are approved, took their passports and said they will receive stamped passports (alongwith sealed visa envelope) via courier. They were fingerprinted (index finger).

I want to thank Jenimmi, Needurhelp, Anahit, Ari4u, Yamini, Jaisejames, Jyotsna, Azguy and others for their help and support. Many questions were answered and anxieties were lessened in this forum.

All the best to everyone with their immigration journey.

================================================== =
Timeline

GC/ CP for Parents

I-130
Mailed I-130 to VSC: Feb 10 '06
Rec'd at VSC: Feb 14 '06
Notice Date: Feb 15 '06 - mail received on Feb 22 '06
Checks cashed on: Feb 17 '06
Approved on: Aug 25 '06 - mail received on Aug 31 '06

NVC Processing
Case entered: Aug 31 '06
Aff of Support (I864) Fee bill & DS-3032 copy sent by NVC: Sep 11 '06
Rec'd I864 fee bill and DS 3032 copy: Sep 15 '06

Sent I864 fee bill back to NVC @ MO: Sep 16 '06
I864 fee bill received by NVC @ MO (as per mail tracking): Sep 19 '06

Sent DS 3032 back to NVC@ NH: Sep 18 '06
DS 3032 received by NVC @ NH(as per mail tracking): Sep 20 '06
IV fee bill generated: Sep 25 ‘06
IV Fee bill received by me: Sep 30 '06
IV Fee bill sent back to NVC @ MO: Oct 2 '06
IV fee bill received by NVC @ MO (as per mail tracking): Oct 5 '06

I864 received by me: Sep 30 ‘06
I864 sent back to NVC@ NH: Oct 4 ’06
I864 received by NVC @ NH(as per mail tracking): Oct 6 '06
I864 received by NVC @ NH(per NVC): Oct 10 '06

DS-230 Part I received by me: Oct 19 '06
DS-230 sent back to NVC @ NH: Oct 23 '06
DS-230 received by NVC @ NH - Oct 26 '06

Case Completed - Nov 22 ‘06
Case Transferred to Mumbai Consulate - Nov 28 ‘06

Interview packet received - Feb 7 '07
Interview - Mar 7 '07, approved

Arrived in USA - April 07
GC Received - May 07

Last edited by a moderator:
485 after 130 approval

I made a mistake of not filing 130 and 485 together. now that 130 is approved, does any one know how long it takes for 485 in this case.

the date so far:
130 RD: 11/17/2006
130 approval: 02/27/2007
both through CSC.

another Q, do i need to include the copy of the original 130.

thanks a lot.
great thread

I made a mistake of not filing 130 and 485 together. now that 130 is approved, does any one know how long it takes for 485 in this case.

the date so far:
130 RD: 11/17/2006
130 approval: 02/27/2007
both through CSC.

another Q, do i need to include the copy of the original 130.

thanks a lot.
great thread

The processing time for I485 depends on the District Office, how quickly name check is cleared etc. In general, currently I485 is approved in 6-8 months assuming name check has cleared.

I believe you will file a copy of I130 approval notice. Please follow the instructions on I485.

NVC case entry

I got I-130 approval for my mother on 2/21/2007 from CSC but NVC still says no case entered. I haven't received any documents from NVC? Is this normal. What are others experience?

also, will NVC send DS-3032 to my mother in India?

AOS - which city to apply for AOS in US

Hi,

Would like to know which city to apply for the AOS ?
Is there any idea which city/state takes faster to get approved ? Either California or Texas ?

Any prior history for the above locations ?

Thanks a lot

I-864 question

Hi all,

I am applying AOS for both my parents at the same time and filing two seperate I-864's as suggested in this forum.

I am filling out I-864, on Part 3, question 9, for my father's I-864, do i need to list my mother's name as well and check box for number 9 ?

Do i need to the same for my mother's I-864 ? Do i need to list my fathers name in part 9 for my mothers' I-864 ?

I am not clear on this as the question in 9, says " Do no tinclude any relative listed on a seperate visa petition" ??

Thanks

Hi all,

I am applying AOS for both my parents at the same time and filing two seperate I-864's as suggested in this forum.

I am filling out I-864, on Part 3, question 9, for my father's I-864, do i need to list my mother's name as well and check box for number 9 ?

Do i need to the same for my mother's I-864 ? Do i need to list my fathers name in part 9 for my mothers' I-864 ?

I am not clear on this as the question in 9, says " Do no tinclude any relative listed on a seperate visa petition" ??

Thanks

They both are "relatives listed on a separate visa petition", aren't they? So, there is your answer. ;)

I got I-130 approval for my mother on 2/21/2007 from CSC but NVC still says no case entered. I haven't received any documents from NVC? Is this normal. What are others experience?

also, will NVC send DS-3032 to my mother in India?

It can take 3-4 weeks for NVC to receive petition from CIS, enter the case and send you packet. Check my timeline in signature, jenimmi's thread in consular forum to get some idea.

NVC will send DS-3032 to applicant (mother) in India and a copy to petitioner (you).

I-94 expires but GC process started-Illegal?

Hi,
My sister who is a citizen has started to process GC for my parents last week. but their I-94 is expiring in april. Can they travel to india and be back when they are reqd for interview? would they be denied entry?
another question is can they overstay beyong their I-94 date. would that be illegal as well?
Please help
thanks

Thanks Visaapplicant

1. The current requirement is to submit only the most recent (1 year) tax return. If your individual income is sufficient for your entire household, your wife does not need to be co-sponsor. You will submit your W2 statement. Please follow the instructions for I864.

2. No

3. Yes. On each parent's I864, I counted the other parent in the household size.

Thanks Visaapplicant.

Hi,
My sister who is a citizen has started to process GC for my parents last week. but their I-94 is expiring in april. Can they travel to india and be back when they are reqd for interview? would they be denied entry?
another question is can they overstay beyong their I-94 date. would that be illegal as well?
Please help
thanks

It's not a good idea for them to travel now. The chances are - they will be denied entry, unless they travel with AP.
First of all, yout parents are not going to be out of status. People with pending I-485 are considered to be in legal status. Secondly, the overstay is forgiven to US citizen's parents, so that wouldn't be a problem, anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi anahit,
thanks for the information. can you also please let me know if we can file for AP concurrently with I-485. where would I find good information about docs reqd for AP filing.
Thanks again

Marriage Certificate for CP Interview

Folks,
I've searched through the posts, but could not find a definitive answer. I'm filing for a greencard for my widowed mother, and we just got the letter from Chennai consulate (surprisingly, they asked her to go to their website and download Packet 4 from there, they should not be assuming everyone has access to the web/printer etc.). Anyway, the instructions say that for anyone who has ever been married, they need a marriage certificate, or an affidavit notarized by a first class magistrate.

Is this applicable in the case of a widow (we have the death certificate for my father)? Does anyone else have experince with this?
Thanks....