GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

SanJoseCA said:
I remember read somewhere that there is some difference to apply GC for spouse and parents, but never understand what exactly the differences are. Can comeone shed more light on this?

In my case, spouse, mother and father are all in US. From what Iread in this thread, I should file 130/485/EAD/AP at the same time for all 3 of them. Seems to me the procedures and paperwork are pretty similar, right?

A separate question, should I mail 3 applications in 3 different packages? I am wondering if it helps to package 2 parents's applications in a single package?

I have not done spouse application. However, based on what I know the application process fairly similar with some differences. e.g. with spouse I130, you need your marriage certificate and you also need to file biographic info form along with photos (??). Whereas for parents' I130 you need your birth certificate to prove relationship.

I would file parents' apps in sa ingle package but clearly separated using binder clips and spouse application in separate package.

Good luck!

As far as I know, it shudn't matter, if u r mailing all 3 applns in one package. As visaapp said, they shud be clearly separated.

Jenimmi....

Jenimmi~

I would like to post an update for my parents case:

Dad- the DS 3032 was mailed June 19 to him and a copy was mailed to me, and a bill for Affidavit of Support

Mom- Her case was entered to NVC on June 16.

A quik question for you , i have my parents signed a DS 3032 when i was overseas, but the dates are April, 2006. Could i mail those back to NVC insted of the one they sent us, to save some time? I read somewhere in this forum they used barcode to track cases? Any suggestion?

Thanks and i will keep you posted

Abs

jenimmi said:
Abs -
A Quick update -
I just checked my Dad's EAC # and NVC auto msg says that the case was entered in their system on Jun 7 and also gives out the NVC case #. You may want to check your Mom's too.

DS 230 requirement

Hello All~

I am getting ready to make sure all require documents are available for my parents, when we start getting all the forms from the NVC. I was reading the other threadbelow by jeaisejames , which is very helpful and he mentioned about DS-230 , he mentioned about required documents to go with it. Does anyone knows what they are? Or any link that I can read. Everytime I google this form just give me th actual form no instruction or nothing. I would like to follow the steps he did to expedite the process... Thanks a lot...

abs

Answers to your question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are answers to your questions

1. What was your service center for I-130?

A) VSC
2. Did DS-3032 go to both you and your parents?
A) Yes and it took a month for it to reach my parents. However after a week, you can send your copy to your parent using a faster mailing service( fedex or even priority mail from USPS). This will expedite every thing. Dont wait for your parents to recive DS3032
3. Your turnaround time for DS-230 is very quick. Were your parents in USA to sign the form?
I was their agent so paper came to me. I Asked my parent to download DS-230, fill it and attach all the required document and send it to me using a faster courier.. This is why this is fast

4. In your post AOS stands for (Affidavit of support, I-864) and not to be confused with Adjustment of Status. Just wanted to make sure.

abs -
Thanks for the update. I too refer Jaise's answers for most of my questions. She was quite helpful in detailing the process her parents went thro.
In her response to one of our questions, she says:

jaisejames said:
DS 3032 contain barcode ( i am not sure on the form itself or on separate sheet), which both you and your parents recieves. SO when you send your form to them send that barcode form along with it. Make sure you take a copy and retain it with yourself.

DS230 does not have a barcode on the form itself. It have a separate sheet of paper with barcode. In my case, my parent sent me their filled form and neccessary supporting documents and I attached the barcode form and sent it to NVC.

From what Jaise says, You should have gotten a barcode sheet with DS-3032, if it was not already affixed on the form.

http://foia.state.gov/FORMS/visa/ds3032.pdf
The top of the form has a place for you to affix the bar code, before you mail it out to NVC.
Surely you must have gotten a separate sheet with barcode on it, besides the DS-3032?

The other thing I noticed is, she got the Affidavit of Support Fee bill a few days after DS-3032, but you got it together with - which is a great thing in terms of saving time.

If you plan to mail out the forms signed by your parents earlier, you may want to change the date on it and place the bar code on the form.

Here's the link on "Instructions for Immigrant Visa Applicants" - which describes what docs need to sent with DS-230 Part I & II
http://travel.state.gov/pdf/not_applying_in.pdf

I believe with DS-230 Part I, only photocopy of PP showing biographic information needs to be attached. You should also get the instructions along with DS-230 when NVC sends it to you.

Jennimi~

thanks for your reply. Do you think it is safe for me to change the date? I wasnt thinking right, i should have left the date blank.

abs49080 said:
Jennimi~

thanks for your reply. Do you think it is safe for me to change the date? I wasnt thinking right, i should have left the date blank.

I don't want to say the wrong thing here.
But if you want to save time, that's a risk you should be willing to take.
Otherwise send it to them thro a fast mailing sevice and have them sign it and send it back to you the same fast way.

BTW, did you get a separate sheet with bar code on it?

jenimmi said:
Otherwise send it to them thro a fast mailing sevice and have them sign it and send it back to you the same fast way.

jenimmi said:

Jenimmi~

I have not recvd the papers yet. They were mailed on the 19th so I should be getting them this week or so. I will let you know....

Also what does PCC stands for? I was just reading your post in other thread and dont have any clue.. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Filing order and supporting documents.

I am filing I-130/I-485/I-864 for my parents. With all the forms and supporting documents, it's a pretty thick packages. I really Need advice on these:

1). Should I attach the supporting evidence to each form separately or bundle them together at the end?

2). Should I do the recommended 2-hole punch on the top or better leave it and bind with binding clips? :) :)

3). Copy of passport page with Visa. Is that the visa or the I-94? Their visa will expire when I do the filing. Shall I stil copy that or only the valid I-94 instead?

Thanks for any advice.

abs49080 said:
Jenimmi~

I have not recvd the papers yet. They were mailed on the 19th so I should be getting them this week or so. I will let you know....

Also what does PCC stands for? I was just reading your post in other thread and dont have any clue.. Thank you.

I just checked the status with NVC - good news, same thing as your father's.
It says DS-3032 & Aff of Support Fee bill was sent on June 19th.
So, I should receive the mail either next week (or the week after).
I wanted to find out from a rep how much the fee bill is and what name it should be drawn on. She confirmed it should be for $70 and should be to "Department of State". I wanted to have it ready so I can mail these back, the very next day. DS-3032 should be mailed back to NVC whereas the fee bill should be sent to the St.Louis facility.

PCC : Police Clearance Certificate

I also want to quote Jaise's answer to VisaApp's question before on what needs to be sent along with DS-230:

When we send DS-230 back to NVC, what other supporting documents are required? Copy of biographic data page of passport, last page of passport, 2 photographs of applicants?

THis is correct

New to this forum...

Heys Guys,

I just turned US citizen recently and wants to file for my mother. She had been to US last year on visiting visa and went back to my home country. Her visiting visa is valid for nine more years. my question is should I file for her green card now or when she come back on a visit again? and what kind of forms I need to apply in either situation?
any kind soul plz advice...

Questions while filing GC for parents?

Hi,

Thanks much for providing all the valuable details regarding the filing of GC for parents. My brother has recently become US citizen and wanted to file GC paperworks for parents. We have filled up most of the forms and almost ready to file. Parents are on Multiple entery VISA and presently with us here in USA.

Here's my questions:

1. Does the US citizen's parents should be in US at the time of filing GC
documents for them?
2. Do they need to stay in US till EAD and AP gets approved/ received
before they travel back to INDIA?
3. Will I130 be stand cancelled if they travel back to India at the time when
their petition is pending for decision?
4. Do they need to be in US till I130 gets approved and then travel on AP?
5. Since filing GC for parents for the 1st time so need to know if any other
information we need to know?

Your prompt response in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

A

Houstonian1 said:
Heys Guys,

I just turned US citizen recently and wants to file for my mother. She had been to US last year on visiting visa and went back to my home country. Her visiting visa is valid for nine more years. my question is should I file for her green card now or when she come back on a visit again? and what kind of forms I need to apply in either situation?

You can follow consular processing (CP) while your mother is outside USA or you can follow Adjustment of Status (AOS) while your mother is in USA. At this point AOS seems to be moving faster but that can change. For details on both approaches, please check the first page of this thread for an excellent compilation by Needurhelp.

Good luck!

abansal0211 said:
Hi,

Thanks much for providing all the valuable details regarding the filing of GC for parents. My brother has recently become US citizen and wanted to file GC paperworks for parents. We have filled up most of the forms and almost ready to file. Parents are on Multiple entery VISA and presently with us here in USA.

Here's my questions:

1. Does the US citizen's parents should be in US at the time of filing GC
documents for them?

Yes, if you want to do AOS (I130, I485 together). If you want to do CP, you can file I130 while they are in India and they will complete their process at US consulate in India.

abansal0211 said:
2. Do they need to stay in US till EAD and AP gets approved/ received
before they travel back to INDIA?

If doing AOS, they need to be in US for their fingerprinting (FP). They need to have approved AP before leaving US otherwise the application will be considered abandoned. Also they will have to be here for final interview.

abansal0211 said:
3. Will I130 be stand cancelled if they travel back to India at the time when
their petition is pending for decision?

If you are pursuing CP and only filed I130 while they are in USA, then it does not matter whether they stay in US or travel back to India while I130 is pending decision.

abansal0211 said:
4. Do they need to be in US till I130 gets approved and then travel on AP?

For AOS, once FP is done and AP is approved they can travel. Although they will have to be here for final interview.

abansal0211 said:
5. Since filing GC for parents for the 1st time so need to know if any other
information we need to know?

Please check the first page of this thread for an excellent compilation by Needurhelp.

Good luck!

abansal0211 said:
Your prompt response in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

A

Houstonian1 said:
Heys Guys,

The first page of this thread has all the info you're looking for.

If I were you, I'll do AOS after your mom is coming here. In other words as soon as she can come, she will reunite with you permanently...CP nobody can exactly say how long is going to take...and if I'm not wrong, as soon as you file I-130 she may not be allowed in the U.S. as a tourist.

Thank you visaapplicant and Suzy...

I do have another question. I have a married sister who is now 27 and has a child and currently lives in my home country. If I need to file for her what documents should I submit along with I-130? I understand that It might take more than a decade for her to come here, But in the mean time If she happens to get a H1 sometime in next 5-6 years, would that affect her processing? Or would she be eligible to apply for tourist visa while this processing is in happening? Thanks in advance for your replies...

Final update on my parents' case

DO = Atlanta, GA

Feb 21, 2006 ND (both)
Apr 04, 2006 FP (both)
May 03, 2006 I-130 cases transferred to CSC (both)
May 11, 2006 EADs received (both)
Jun 05, 2006 I-130 approved for one parent
Jun 07, 2006 I-130 approved for other parent
Jun 12, 2006 DHS says welcome notice mailed for one parent
Jun 13, 2006 DHS says welcome notice mailed for other parent
Jun 15, 2006 I-485 approved (both)
Jun 17, 2006 Greencards received (both)

Waiting for 2011 for N-400.

Good luck to everyone!

Q's on GC/AOS for parents

My parents are here on B2 visas, and I plan to submit GC/AOS applications for them. A couple of questions -

1. May I apply for them right away, or should I wait a few months before doing the applications? Given their non-immigratoin intent at arrival, I wonder whether it might cause some troubles if we apply now.

2. A technical question on the forms. I understand my Mom and Dad would have their separate applications. Then, would each one of them be regarded as *applying* with the other? This is Question B in Part 3 of Form I-485. Furthermore, is each one of them regarded as *immigrating* with the other wrt Part 3 of Form I-864 (affidavit of support)? I'm particularly confused with the "immigrating with the other" issue since I plan to have separate affidavits of support for my Mom and Dad.

Thank you for your advice and opinion in advance!

Hahamonkey

Was your parent here when you applied for them?

vyshnya said:
DO = Atlanta, GA

Feb 21, 2006 ND (both)
Apr 04, 2006 FP (both)
May 03, 2006 I-130 cases transferred to CSC (both)
May 11, 2006 EADs received (both)
Jun 05, 2006 I-130 approved for one parent
Jun 07, 2006 I-130 approved for other parent
Jun 12, 2006 DHS says welcome notice mailed for one parent
Jun 13, 2006 DHS says welcome notice mailed for other parent
Jun 15, 2006 I-485 approved (both)
Jun 17, 2006 Greencards received (both)

Waiting for 2011 for N-400.

Good luck to everyone!