GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

expectgreat said:
I received the packet (DS-3032 & fee bill) for my mom yesterday. It was mail on June 19th.

One thing I want to confirm that it said on the fee bill that if you sponsor your parents, you only need to pay one $70 bill and mail two fee bills with the casher's check together in one envelop. Anyone can confirm my understanding?

Yes, I received the packet and called the NVC a while ago so they said wait until you get both parents packets and then send the two fee bills with one $70 fee. So I did that and everything went fine. Now this applies only to the affidavit of support. When it comes to the visa bill which is $390 you'll have to pay for each parent separately.

Update on my parents cases

I received the DS-230 froms for both parents about 3 weeks ago. Filled them DHL to paretns, they signed, DHL back to me, I sent it to NVC with the documents they needed on Thursday June 15th. So the message says they have received it on June 20th and are reviewing it. It'll take 2-4 weeks for review and if eveything is complete hopefully I'll get the interview letter. I'll keep you all posted when that happens.

One thing I want to mention to everyone is that with DS-230 you need to send a bunch of documents even if you have sent them to INS before. Like parents birth certificates, Marriage certs, police docs, deportation docs,....
most will not apply if you have not been deported from us... but still for birth certs I had to call the translator and get additional copies to send to NVC so if you plan on sending the DS-230 ASAP you might want to look into what docs you'll need and prepare them ahead of time.

aabraham said:
I received the DS-230 froms for both parents about 3 weeks ago. Filled them DHL to paretns, they signed, DHL back to me, I sent it to NVC with the documents they needed on Thursday June 15th. So the message says they have received it on June 20th and are reviewing it. It'll take 2-4 weeks for review and if eveything is complete hopefully I'll get the interview letter. I'll keep you all posted when that happens.

One thing I want to mention to everyone is that with DS-230 you need to send a bunch of documents even if you have sent them to INS before. Like parents birth certificates, Marriage certs, police docs, deportation docs,....
most will not apply if you have not been deported from us... but still for birth certs I had to call the translator and get additional copies to send to NVC so if you plan on sending the DS-230 ASAP you might want to look into what docs you'll need and prepare them ahead of time.

Thanks for the update, aabraham.

The docs that need to be sent with DS-230, can you elaborate on what are "Police docs"? I just want to clarify that it is not the Police Clearance Certificate that one is actually supposed to take to their interview.

Can you please list what are the docs that you were asked and you attached to the forms? Also I believe photocopy of docs is sufficient. Did they ask you to send any original doc?
Thanks.

jenimmi said:
Thanks for the update, aabraham.

The docs that need to be sent with DS-230, can you elaborate on what are "Police docs"? I just want to clarify that it is not the Police Clearance Certificate that one is actually supposed to take to their interview.

Can you please list what are the docs that you were asked and you attached to the forms? Also I believe photocopy of docs is sufficient. Did they ask you to send any original doc?
Thanks.

Jenimmi & aabraham,

Please note that we have to be careful about which consulate CP is going to be when we are talking about DS 230 requirements. Aabraham's parents are going to Abu Dhabi which is application review consulate (applying in Albania, Canada, Lebanon, Philippines, Turkey, United Arab Emirates or on the continent of Africa). In this case, I believe you submit everything with DS 230 to NVC and NVC schedules the interview at the consulate. For all the other consulates (standard review), you submit DS 230 part I alongwith phtographs, copy of biographic page & last page of passport (need to confirm this) to NVC. NVC forwards them to consulate, consulate schedules the interview and asks applicant to bring PCC and other docs to the interview. More info on two types of consulates on NVC website and immihelp.com

As things move forward with Jenimmi and others doing CP, we will know about the details of steps for standard review consulates.

nohope_for_lc said:
I haven't received any letter. I haven't received the receipt number either. How long it takes to get the receipt number after you send the application?

You should receive receipt notice from USCIS in 2-3 weeks. Rec # is on it. If you paid fees by personal check, you can find out rec # sooner on the back of cashed check (many banks provide cashed check info online).

Mothers Birth Certificate - Applying for her GC (AOS)

Mom was born in Karachi, she does not have a birth certificate and there is no way she can get a Non Availability of Birth Certificate from Karachi, Pakistan.

Another, she is 70 , the requirement says get Affidavits of Birth from a Relative older then her. We dont know of anybody who can do that, I mean there is no one we know of brother, Sister, cousins,. ... older then her who can give us an Affidavit for her birth.

Albeit, She did go to the court and got an Affidavit of Birth as well an Affidavit of Marriage made by herself.

Any of you with the same problem.

background check for I-130 filing

I found out why my parent's I-130 is still pending at VSC (ND 12/13/2005). I was told the reviewing officer at VSC is waiting for ther results of their background check. Apparently the background check is done by a different agency and they have no idea how long it is going to take...

This is the first time I ever heard of a background check for I-130 filing. I thought the background check is conducted for I-485 filing... Any ideas, expereinces, suggestions ?

Checks not cashed

Folks,
Wondering if any one can give me some advice. I sent my Mom's application to CSC, and it reached them on June 13th. So far, they have not cashed the check. I'm getting a bit worried, because from the timelines I see here, the checks are cashed pretty quickly. Is there any way I can check/get confirmation from INS? Has anyone else experienced delays in the check being cashed?
Thanks,
Zeeji

zeeji said:
Folks,
Wondering if any one can give me some advice. I sent my Mom's application to CSC, and it reached them on June 13th. So far, they have not cashed the check. I'm getting a bit worried, because from the timelines I see here, the checks are cashed pretty quickly. Is there any way I can check/get confirmation from INS? Has anyone else experienced delays in the check being cashed?
Thanks,
Zeeji

It usually takes about 2 to 3 weeks. Patience is the key. Once the app is loaded into their system, receipts are printed and checks are sent for encashing.

Good news and not so good news

Good News: Finally got the packet from NVC containing the DS-3032 and the Aff of support fee bill (ASFB) y'day (Jun 28th).

Not so good news: Both Bar code and Case # are printed on the top left of DS-3032, which means I cannot use the DS-3032 which I had my father sign and send to me earlier :( The full name of the applicant is also printed on the first line. I just wish the bar code was on a separate sheet as mentioned by some others, previously.

Last night, I scanned and emailed the DS-3032 to my Dad. Hopefully, he will be able to print it and send it to me within a week or so using express mail. One could also fax it and have them sign it and send it back.

The ASFB is for $70 - can be either Cashier's check or money order drawn on a US bank, to be made to Department of State - with case number written on the face of the check.

oh.. the ASFB also has a bar code printed on it. It comes with a return envelope to send it back to NVC. You will attach a part of the fee bill to the check and mail it to NVC @ St Louis, MO address.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jenimmi~

Its good to hear that you have recvd yours already. I am still waiting for my dad, and I have to wait for my moms paper as well which was sent June 23 so I can waive the second affidavit of support bill and only pay one.

I have to clarify your statement below. Does it mean I can just fax the form to my parents and have them fill it out, & mail it back. Dont they require the original form?

Thanks and good luck to you. Well keep sharing our progress.

abs

jenimmi said:
Good News: Finally got the packet from NVC containing the DS-3032 and the Aff of support fee bill (ASFB) y'day (Jun 28th).

Last night, I scanned and emailed the DS-3032 to my Dad. Hopefully, he will be able to print it and send it to me within a week or so using express mail. One could also fax it and have them sign it and send it back.

The ASFB is for $70 - can be either Cashier's check or money order drawn on a US bank, to be made to Department of State - with case number written on the face of the check.

abs49080 said:
Jenimmi~

Its good to hear that you have recvd yours already. I am still waiting for my dad, and I have to wait for my moms paper as well which was sent June 23 so I can waive the second affidavit of support bill and only pay one.

I have to clarify your statement below. Does it mean I can just fax the form to my parents and have them fill it out, & mail it back. Dont they require the original form?

Thanks and good luck to you. Well keep sharing our progress.

abs

Hope you get yours today or by the weekend, abs.

YES.. the information that came with the form says that you can fax the form to the applicant. They can either mail it back to you (so you can verify if they've entered it correctly) or send it directly to NVC. Copy or original of DS-3032 doesn't matter. They all are the same.
In my case I asked my Dad to send it to me and I'll send it to NVC, so I can track the DS-3032 till it reaches NVC.

ranchun said:
I found out why my parent's I-130 is still pending at VSC (ND 12/13/2005). I was told the reviewing officer at VSC is waiting for ther results of their background check. Apparently the background check is done by a different agency and they have no idea how long it is going to take...

This is the first time I ever heard of a background check for I-130 filing. I thought the background check is conducted for I-485 filing... Any ideas, expereinces, suggestions ?

Ranchun,

Thanks for the update. How did you find out? Did you call 1-800 # or do Infopass?

It was my impression as well that for I130 there is no background check. I am thinking in terms of evidence submitted: are they trying to determine the validity of our birth cert in case of petition for parents and validity of parents' marriage cert. The other thing is validating us being US citizen; USCIS can do that quite easily by looking us up in their system from our A#.

Anyway, I hope you get I130 approvals soon. Did you decide on filing I485 without waiting for I130 approval?

jenimmi said:

Jenimmi,

That is good news. Things are moving forward nicely. Thanks for all the information.

I-130 receipt

Hi, I applied I-130 and I-485 for my mom who is currently in the US. I received the receipt notice today for I-130; there is no mention of my I-485 application. What usually happens when we apply together? Is this something to be concerned about? What should I do? Please help.... Thank you.

visaapplicant said:
Ranchun,

Thanks for the update. How did you find out? Did you call 1-800 # or do Infopass?

It was my impression as well that for I130 there is no background check. I am thinking in terms of evidence submitted: are they trying to determine the validity of our birth cert in case of petition for parents and validity of parents' marriage cert. The other thing is validating us being US citizen; USCIS can do that quite easily by looking us up in their system from our A#.

Anyway, I hope you get I130 approvals soon. Did you decide on filing I485 without waiting for I130 approval?

I contacted our congressman's office and we were told that a different agency, something called border security and control, is conducting the background/security check and VSC is waiting for the result...

We did decide to go ahead with the I-485 filing, although I don't see how it is going to help much :( as the I-130s are still pending...

Can anyone filed I-130 at VSC share their timelines ? Thanks.

LR2005 said:
Hi, I applied I-130 and I-485 for my mom who is currently in the US. I received the receipt notice today for I-130; there is no mention of my I-485 application. What usually happens when we apply together? Is this something to be concerned about? What should I do? Please help.... Thank you.
When applied concurrently, you receive separate receipt notices for each application. Don't worry! You'll receive one for I-485.

Anahit said:
When applied concurrently, you receive separate receipt notices for each application. Don't worry! You'll receive one for I-485.

CONGRATULATIONS for your mom's approval.
Did she get both, I-130 and I-485 approved in the same time?

Suzy977 said:
CONGRATULATIONS for your mom's approval.
Did she get both, I-130 and I-485 approved in the same time?
Thanks Suzy!
That's the part that I am still trying to figure out. I-797, Notice of Action, shows Case Type - I-181, Creation of lawful permanent residence. :confused:
Does anyone have an idea why it is showing I-181 instead of I-485?

Affidavit of Support

Hello, I have a question:

As I understand, two original Affidavit of Support need to be submitted for my parents application. However, besides copy of Federal income tax return and W-2, do I need to send pay stub(s) from the most recent 6 months? If so, can I send copies of pay stub(s) for each parent? I lost the pay stub for March, can I send pay stub for Jan, Feb, April, May, June and July?

Please advise! Thanks!