GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

I got the Affidavit of support forms for both my parents last Thursday(5/18) and sent them back on(5/19) with 3 years of tax return and employment verification letter. Waiting for the next step.

aabraham said:
I got the Affidavit of support forms for both my parents last Thursday(5/18) and sent them back on(5/19) with 3 years of tax return and employment verification letter. Waiting for the next step.

aabraham,

Thanks for the update. A couple of procedural questions:

1. We know that the tax return transcripts (which are free of charge from IRS) are acceptable to USCIS. Of course, a copy of the tax return filed is fine. I want to check if tax return transcripts are ok with NVC as well. Did you submit IRS transcripts or your copy of return?

2. Did you fill I864 by hand or did you use fillable form from USCIS website (in Acrobat)?

Thanks.

Received Welcome Notice today. Though online status said that it was mailed out on 5/18, the envelop had 5/19th stamp. Received the I-130 approvals too.
Both the approvals were from Lee Summit.

There aren't any more updates after the last update about the Welcome Letter.

Should I be expecting couple of more updates saying card has been ordered and it has been mailed, similar to EAD?

needurhelp, when they sent my dad's green card, we got the following update online for the I485

This case has been approved. On May 16, 2006, an approval notice was mailed. If 30 days have passed and you have not received this notice, you may wish to verify or update your address. To update your address, please speak to an Immigration Information Officer during business hours.

2 days later we received the greencard in the mail. i believe a friend got a similar massege when she got her greencard as well. hopefully you will get your green card very soon:)

Yes. You can make a copy only for legal reason. Apply for your Mom is legal reason. I asked a immigartion officer for this, he told me. And I did copy it.

LR2005 said:
I got my naturalization certificate and am ready to apply I-130 for my mom along with I-485. Question is, on the nat cert, it is written on RED that "it is unlawful to copy this certificate". But the application for my mom requires a COPY - right? Did any of you make a photo copy and send it or are we expected to send the original? Please confirm - I am confused. I don't want to do anything illegal and jeoparadize the chances with the INS !!! :confused:

Thanks so much for your help.

greencardmaze said:
needurhelp, when they sent my dad's green card, we got the following update online for the I485

This case has been approved. On May 16, 2006, an approval notice was mailed. If 30 days have passed and you have not received this notice, you may wish to verify or update your address. To update your address, please speak to an Immigration Information Officer during business hours.

2 days later we received the greencard in the mail. i believe a friend got a similar massege when she got her greencard as well. hopefully you will get your green card very soon:)

Thanks for the info. My understanding is that our cases are slightly different since your dad hasn't gone thru the Interview process and he never received the Welcome Notice.

SimiDude's mum's case was similar to urs and he didn't receive the Welcome Letter too, he got the approval email followed by the card, just like u did.

May be I should look into regular spouse cases, which went thru the interview process.

I'll update you guys if I find any more info.

actualy we did receive a welcome notice... i am not sure when, but i believe i posted it here on this site when i logged on to tell you the I485 has been aproved... they said they aproved it and mailed us a welcome notice... we received that in the mail a few days later, then they updated the massege online to what i have just told you, and then 2 days later we got the green card. HTH

greencardmaze said:
actualy we did receive a welcome notice... i am not sure when, but i believe i posted it here on this site when i logged on to tell you the I485 has been aproved... they said they aproved it and mailed us a welcome notice... we received that in the mail a few days later, then they updated the massege online to what i have just told you, and then 2 days later we got the green card. HTH

Hey, Great news. So now I can count on your case progress. I'll go thru the messages and see when u posted the approval message.

Thanks again

Marriage certificate for Father's I-130

Hi !

I have a question for your guys. I am about to submit the I-130 for the green card for my father. Along with the I-130 I need to submit his marriage certificate.

The marriage certificate has my mother's maiden name on it and of course (as was common in indian weddings then my mother changed her name and her last name after marriage)

So my mothers name is something different now but the marriage certificate has her maiden name.

If any of you guys faced a similar problem, how did you resolve it ?

Thanks in advance !

sarpotd said:
Hi !
The marriage certificate has my mother's maiden name on it and of course (as was common in indian weddings then my mother changed her name and her last name after marriage)

Are you applying for your mum too?

If you are, on the forms you will have to enter your mum's maiden name when asked for it.

Get couple of Affidavits from relatives about their marriage - listing her maiden name as well as married name.

With above two, ur case will be iron clad, but the declaration of her maiden name on the forms will suffice the need. Always to be safe side, I wud suggest u to get the affidavits.

Last edited by a moderator:
visaapplicant said:
aabraham,

Thanks for the update. A couple of procedural questions:

1. We know that the tax return transcripts (which are free of charge from IRS) are acceptable to USCIS. Of course, a copy of the tax return filed is fine. I want to check if tax return transcripts are ok with NVC as well. Did you submit IRS transcripts or your copy of return?

2. Did you fill I864 by hand or did you use fillable form from USCIS website (in Acrobat)?

Thanks.

1) We always do out taxes in H&R Block so they give us a copy. I just made another copy off of that and sent it.(for all 3 years). I also made a copy of all supporting documents just in case they wanted to look at them. I don't know if transcripts are fine or not? sorry couldn't help much.

2) I filled everything by hand since it said not to send downloaded forms and only send the originals that NVC has mailed with the barcode sheet attached. So I did fill by hand notarized it and sent it.

sarpotd said:
Hi !

I have a question for your guys. I am about to submit the I-130 for the green card for my father. Along with the I-130 I need to submit his marriage certificate.

So my mothers name is something different now but the marriage certificate has her maiden name.

If any of you guys faced a similar problem, how did you resolve it ?

Thanks in advance !

We had a similar situation. On my mom's I130 petition, I noted her maiden name. Alongwith my dad's I130, I enclosed their marriage certificate. As additional evidence, I enclosed copies of pages from my mom's passport. Which shows her married name, husband's name and also her parents' names (with same last name as her maiden name). I did not include any affidavits. I hope it will be okay.

I agree with what needurhelp has suggested. With affidavits, it will be ironclad! :)

There was a LUD change on both the I-485 and I-130ss, but the underlying message didn't change from the welcome notice being mailed.

What does this mean? Plastic has been ordered? When plastic is being ordered do we see any change in the message?

I know, I'm being stupid asking these Qs.

It is important that my parents receive their cards before they leave so that they don't have to get the airport transit visa while coming back as these transit countries do not recognize the I-551 stamp.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey abs49080,
Has your parents' I130 application been approved? My application for my mom is pretty close to yours as far as timeline is concern. I also sent it to Nebraska SC but was transferred to California SC (ND April 3, 2006). I'm still waiting for the approval. My mom will interviewed in Manila also. Thanks in advance. MD9396

My parents have their AOS interview in Newark and I need to bring a 1.5 yr old with us.

1) Does anyone know if they allow only the petitioner and beneficiary passed security or can you bring other people with you? My friend would watch her while I'm interviewing, but I'm hoping the little one can be in the waiting room with me if it takes long.

2) Do they allow the petitioning child to translate for parents if they don't speak English. I'm wondering if they let you speak for your parents or if you actually have to translate back and forth.

3) Has anyone had their interview waived at Newark DO in IR-Parent category?

Mimmi said:
1) Does anyone know if they allow only the petitioner and beneficiary passed security or can you bring other people with you? My friend would watch her while I'm interviewing, but I'm hoping the little one can be in the waiting room with me if it takes long.
They'll check the interview letter, to see whether you've any business being there in that premises. That's about it. You can take whomever you want along with you. At least this is the case at Atlanta DO.

Mimmi said:
2) Do they allow the petitioning child to translate for parents if they don't speak English. I'm wondering if they let you speak for your parents or if you actually have to translate back and forth.
In my case, parents do speak English. I didn't have to do any translation, but the situation did not look like, "hey, you can't speak on behalf of your parents". It was pretty comfy interview, just plain conversation going thru the docs. Based on some other cases, the petitioner was able to translate or carry on the conversation since their parents couldn't speak English. Anahit did the same, if you search this thread you might find her response.

Parents don't go thru the drill of answering Qs as one can have a sham marraige but not parents so relax.

Mimmi said:
3) Has anyone had their interview waived at Newark DO in IR-Parent category?
Can't answer, but u don't have to worry about the interview.

can somebody can give some info..on being married to a green card holder

I need some info ..

I been married to a green card holder for 2 years now, but never file anything since it takes forever to get something 7 years for a green card it is crazy!

about this???

Hello there MD9396~
Yes, both applications are approved already. My Notice Date is March 9. So yours should be coming shortly. Good luck to you and your family, and feel free to ask me if I can be of any help.
Thanks,

abby

md9396 said:
hey abs49080,
Has your parents' I130 application been approved? My application for my mom is pretty close to yours as far as timeline is concern. I also sent it to Nebraska SC but was transferred to California SC (ND April 3, 2006). I'm still waiting for the approval. My mom will interviewed in Manila also. Thanks in advance. MD9396

abs49080 said:
Hello....

Does any one know how much is the processing fee for I-864? thank you in advance

abby

Are you doing Consular Processing for your parents? In that case, NVC will ask you to pay $70 review fee for I-864. In general, it is $70 per I864. However, I read on this forum that when I864s for both parents are sent together, only $70 is required. NVC will send you instructions for each step. If you are doing AOS, then there is no fee for I864 filed alongwith I485.

Congratulations on your I130 approvals. NSC/CSC seem to be processing it very efficiently.

Thanks a lot for your continous help Needurhelp. Thats what i thought, that there is a processing fee, i read it somewhere in NVC website. Yes, my parents are doing consular processing, in US Embassy in Manila. I am I will keep you all updated. :) Sure it is that CSC are fast....! :p

visaapplicant said:
Are you doing Consular Processing for your parents? In that case, NVC will ask you to pay $70 review fee for I-864. In general, it is $70 per I864. However, I read on this forum that when I864s for both parents are sent together, only $70 is required. NVC will send you instructions for each step. If you are doing AOS, then there is no fee for I864 filed alongwith I485.

Congratulations on your I130 approvals. NSC/CSC seem to be processing it very efficiently.