GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

update

I got the visa application processing fee bills for both my parents today(6/15).
Will send the money order back tomorrow. :)

Question about I-130

1) If I file a I-130 petition for my parents when they are visiting me can they leave the country before the petition is approved?

2) If the I-130 is approved during their stay can they still file for CP at a US consulate abroad or do they need stay back and get the AOS done in the US?

3) If we file for I-485/AP is there a time limit specified in AP before which they have to return to the US?

4) If we file for I-485 in the US and my parents for some reason need to go back home can this be converted to CP?

I would appreciate any information I can get.

Thanks.
VS

vs357190 said:
1) If I file a I-130 petition for my parents when they are visiting me can they leave the country before the petition is approved?

2) If the I-130 is approved during their stay can they still file for CP at a US consulate abroad or do they need stay back and get the AOS done in the US?

3) If we file for I-485/AP is there a time limit specified in AP before which they have to return to the US?

4) If we file for I-485 in the US and my parents for some reason need to go back home can this be converted to CP?

I would appreciate any information I can get.

Thanks.
VS

1) Yes. They can stay here for the time allowed on I94 and leave before I94 expires so that they do not accrue any overstay. We are doing the same way.

2) They can do CP abroad if they want to. (that is what we are planning to do as well). However, you have the option of filing I130, I485 package concurrently and do AOS while they are in US.

3) AP is usually issued for one year. Although it is advised that one should not be outside US on AP for too long. 3-4 months should be fine.

4) I am not sure about that. Although the info on immihelp.com says that this will delay the process somewhat. A better option would be to use AP to go home, come back to US and complete AOS.

Good luck!

I applied for my parents on 4/5/06. They had the finger prints done at the end of April. I checked the uscis web page, it stated that will take 120 to 180 days to process the case. Our DO is philadelphia, the timeline for I485 in philly is more than one year. Which one should I expected?

needurhelp -
I just realized that today is your Parents "Big day". By the time you're reading this you are probably already back from the interview.
Hope you got the approval stamp.
Pls let us know how it went in detail :)

My parents immigration journey is over, got it sealed with the stamp in passport.

IO was very friendly and nice, both my parents were called in at the same time. Of course we had to wait for 15mins beyond the appmt time but we were done in 15mins.

As soon as we walked in she said this is not right, they are too young to be your parents. I'm like what? Of course I replied back to her, it's a compliment to my parents but do I look old? Hmmmmm :confused:

Fun aside, we had couple of hiccups and heart racing moments.

She said that there is no prob with my dad's appln but my mum has to take her FPs again since they were unreadable. But I told her that that she had already retaken the FPs and the FBI has confirmed that the FPs were readable and the results were sent to USCIS. She asked for the date the FPs were retaken as there was only one entry on the form. Luckily we had the date handy which we gave it to her. She checked the system right away and said the results were in but someone forgot to update the file, which is a manual entry onto a form in the file. PHEW!!!!!!! Before checking the system she said that she has to retake the FPs or we have to get the PCC blah, blah, blah...

Anyways, we averted one hurdle.

She asked for the two copies of tax returns for 2004 or 2005. Since we didn't file 2005 taxes, I said I have 2004 copies(2). When I handed them over she said, oh no, not these the actual 1040s. My heart sunk right there into my stomach. I told her that I don't have the returns handy since I had the official IRS transcripts. She looked it over for few seconds and said thats fine and she checked the details like my name, gross income etc. :D Great relief.

She went back to the system ordered the cards for both of them and stamped the PPs.

From my experience, be proactive. IF I had taken her word that my mum has to take the FPs again, I'll be not typing these passages. I've been reading the Filing the lawsuit section too regularly, just to be on safe side.

If you haven't included your 2005 tax returns with the appln, remember to take'em withya.

Question Minor's I-130 WITH parents ?

I have one question. Can I apply for my siblings along with my parents if they are less than 18 . how it works as there is a separate I-130 for both parents. So do I include in both or do not include with anybody but add them later in 485 or CP procees if they are still minor.

Thanks for response.

sbali said:
Can I apply for my siblings along with my parents if they are less than 18 . how it works as there is a separate I-130 for both parents. So do I include in both or do not include with anybody but add them later in 485 or CP procees if they are still minor.

Your siblings, irrespective of age factor, they come under USC's Brother and Sister quota. Hence thay cannot be included in your parents petition. Ur parents can apply for them once they become LPRs, if they are unmarried.

Congrats, needurhelp!

Good handling of the FP issue and the 1040 ;)
Being Proactive is the mantra with USCIS!

Were your parents asked any questions at all?
Can you summarize the questions asked by the interviewer, either to you or your parents?
Besides the 1040 did the IO ask for any other docs? Did you have to show any originals? Or if you had filed any original doc, were they returned to you at the end of the interview?
What does the stamp read?

needurhelp said:
My parents immigration journey is over, got it sealed with the stamp in passport.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pretty fast processing time. :)
That's what I was hoping for in the beginning. :rolleyes: But, after waiting for more than 10 months after the interview, yesterday my dad got the following status update from USCIS (a response to the inquiry made with customer service at 800 number): "You case(s) are currently under review. You should receive a decision or notice of other action within 180 days of the date of this letter. If you do not receive a response within the given time, you can contact your congress office."
Who are they kidding? :D :D :D
Contact the congress office for what? For getting status updates? We contacted the congressman months ago. What's the use? He can't do anything anyway...

congratulations!!!

congratulations needurhelp... this is great news!!! i am sure you will receive your green cards in a few days.This morning we received my dad's greencard... he still cant believe it... he has been looking at it all day :) i guess it doesnt make much difference in the processing time whether you were or werent transferred to CSC, since your parents and my dad followed the same timeline. again i am realy happy for you... i wish everyone else a smooth process and quick green card processing :) you all have a great day :)

real_eng said:
I applied for my parents on 4/5/06. They had the finger prints done at the end of April. I checked the uscis web page, it stated that will take 120 to 180 days to process the case. Our DO is philadelphia, the timeline for I485 in philly is more than one year. Which one should I expected?
Any experience?

Last edited by a moderator:
needurhelp said:

Needurhelp,

Congratulations to you and your parents!!! I hope you will continue checking/posting in these forums.

You had mentioned about your parents travel plans and timing of interview/stamp/card. I guess now with stamps in their passports, everything should be fine.

real_eng said:

Sometimes parents applications are transferred to CSC and approved without interview. However in general, you should follow your DO I485 timeline for reference. I have noticed that service centers and DOs are conservative in updating the timelines. Which means that some applications are processed faster than the timelines indicate. You can also see the first page of parents sticky thread and AOS timeline sticky thread to get better idea on your DO timeline for family based (parents) case.

Hi! I hope I am not ruining this thread with my post-I don't know how to start my own-I did it the first time I posted something and I cannot even remember how I did it. Sorry. :eek: Anyway, I am applying for citizenship and will have my interview on June 7, 2006. I have decided to apply for N-400 because I wanted my mother to be able to come here and spend time with my 2 1/2 year old daughter. I originally thought of having her applied for a visitor's visa-she is in the Philippines, but I have heard of many cons on this process so I thought I will apply for citizenship and petition her. I have two problems though-I am not sure my mom would want to stay here for good. I dont even think she can stay for a year. She cannot speak good English and I dont have Filipino friends around her age whom she can befriended with. I just can see that she will missed the Philippines a lot. I am also concern about medical insurance. My husband and I work full time-but after reading another thread about medical insurance for parents I just realised how expensive and complicated it can get for her.My mother is 65 years old and is taking some heart medications. So I guess my question is for anyone who can relate to my situation or to anyone who can give me an honest opinion: should I try the visitor's visa or should I try to petition her? If I petition her and she decided she wouldn't want to stay here for good-will she still be allowed to visit us later without a lot of hassle?

Thanks and your reply will be greatly appreciated.

Mhyles :cool:

Mhyles30 said:
Hi! I hope I am not ruining this thread with my post-I don't know how to start my own-I did it the first time I posted something and I cannot even remember how I did it. Sorry. :eek: Anyway, I am applying for citizenship and will have my interview on June 7, 2006. I have decided to apply for N-400 because I wanted my mother to be able to come here and spend time with my 2 1/2 year old daughter. I originally thought of having her applied for a visitor's visa-she is in the Philippines, but I have heard of many cons on this process so I thought I will apply for citizenship and petition her. I have two problems though-I am not sure my mom would want to stay here for good. I dont even think she can stay for a year. She cannot speak good English and I dont have Filipino friends around her age whom she can befriended with. I just can see that she will missed the Philippines a lot. I am also concern about medical insurance. My husband and I work full time-but after reading another thread about medical insurance for parents I just realised how expensive and complicated it can get for her.My mother is 65 years old and is taking some heart medications. So I guess my question is for anyone who can relate to my situation or to anyone who can give me an honest opinion: should I try the visitor's visa or should I try to petition her? If I petition her and she decided she wouldn't want to stay here for good-will she still be allowed to visit us later without a lot of hassle?

Thanks and your reply will be greatly appreciated.

Mhyles :cool:

First, for future refferences:

If you want to open a new thread, let say in the family forum you go to the forum:
http://www.immigrationportal.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39

and then on the left upper side of the page, just above the Announcement: "MESAGE FROM R"...

you'll see: "NEW THREAD" click on that and type your message. Then submit it and that's all. :)

About your dilemma with your mom...is kind of personal, hard for someone from outside to give you an advice.

Why don't you bring your mom as a tourist, while you're in process of being naturalized, she will stay here for a while...she like it=you petition her, she doesn't like it you can send her home and she will come back as a tourist next time.

All these assuming that is easy for her to obtain US visa in Philippines
:confused:

Can we copy the naturalization certificate?

I got my naturalization certificate and am ready to apply I-130 for my mom along with I-485. Question is, on the nat cert, it is written on RED that "it is unlawful to copy this certificate". But the application for my mom requires a COPY - right? Did any of you make a photo copy and send it or are we expected to send the original? Please confirm - I am confused. I don't want to do anything illegal and jeoparadize the chances with the INS !!! :confused:

Thanks so much for your help.

LR2005 said:
I got my naturalization certificate and am ready to apply I-130 for my mom along with I-485. Question is, on the nat cert, it is written on RED that "it is unlawful to copy this certificate". But the application for my mom requires a COPY - right? Did any of you make a photo copy and send it or are we expected to send the original? Please confirm - I am confused. I don't want to do anything illegal and jeoparadize the chances with the INS !!! :confused:

Thanks so much for your help.

Ignore the wording on the Cert which says not to make copies. In fact when I had taken the oath, the presiding judge said, feel free to make copies.

Answer to ur Q, make a copy and attach it to the appln.

needurhelp said:
Ignore the wording on the Cert which says not to make copies. In fact when I had taken the oath, the presiding judge said, feel free to make copies.

Answer to ur Q, make a copy and attach it to the appln.

Backup arrived.... :D
http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/hdiorig.htm

Although the law prohibits duplication of naturalization certificates, certificates of citizenship, and Permanent Resident Cards (formerly known as Alien Registration Cards and commonly called “Green Cards”) for some purposes, that prohibition does not apply to making a photocopy for submission to the USCIS in conjunction with an application or petition.