GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

Update on DS-230 etc.

First wish to thank many folks on this forum for outstanding sharing of knowledge which is mutually beneficial.

1. visaapplicant you might be correct. This morning persistence paid off and I talked to NVC person. She was very nice. IT seemed that it was a timing issue. I said you received fees on the 24th and sent me a letter dated 25th. (I assumed they were so efficient)

But she stated it takes up to 10-15 days to know money has arrived post package receipt date of the 24th.

I then asked then why such a letter of missing documents/fees.

She said just to remind you what is missing......(that is hard for me do digest but sincerely hope is true....)

In other words I will wait another 2 weeks and hopefully will receive DS-230 from NVC. I plan to use the original and not downloaded form.

2. NVC form for agent. I did send it by express mail of USPS to India and my parents signed the original and returned it to NVC by DHL. (I had faxed it earlier to them so they know what is coming)

3. I am in no hurry but being in America we get a bit impatient with delays when other routes are possible hence using all fastfood modalities like fax, DHL etc.

4. Will keep posted as I know more and will answer any questions regarding my case if it helps anyone.

US passport required to petition for mother?

Hi, I passed my Citizenship interview yesterday and have my oath ceremony coming up on 19th May. I plan to apply I-130 and I-485 simultaneously for my mom who is currently with me in US. Can I apply as soon as I get my certificate on 19th May? Do I have to wait for my US passport? The reason I ask is - in the instructions for form I-485, under section 5 (What documents do you need to show that you a US citizen), it says birth certificate - if bron in US, naturalization certificate if naturalized, unexpired US passport copies OR form FS-240 to report birth abroad of US citizen or a stmt from US consular officer verifying that you are US citizen with valid passport.

Can someone please explain this to me? Thanks so much in advance...

LR2005 said:
Hi, I passed my Citizenship interview yesterday and have my oath ceremony coming up on 19th May. I plan to apply I-130 and I-485 simultaneously for my mom who is currently with me in US. Can I apply as soon as I get my certificate on 19th May? Do I have to wait for my US passport? The reason I ask is - in the instructions for form I-485, under section 5 (What documents do you need to show that you a US citizen), it says birth certificate - if bron in US, naturalization certificate if naturalized, unexpired US passport copies OR form FS-240 to report birth abroad of US citizen or a stmt from US consular officer verifying that you are US citizen with valid passport.

Can someone please explain this to me? Thanks so much in advance...
Yes, you can apply as soon as you get your certificate. Passport is not needed for a naturalized citizen.

Police clearence question

If your mom lived in a city upto age 21 and the rest 40 years lived in another city after marriage; do you need police clearence from both cities or only the one for the last 40 years? (Mubai consulate will be for CP)

pramela said:
GC/ AOS for a Parent
Newark DO
I-485 & AP Applied after I130 Approved.
Receipt Dt: Jan 22 '06 (I-485)
Notice Dt: Jan 27 '06
Recd AP Approval: Feb 17 '06
Finger Prints Done: Feb 23 '06
FP approved and sent to INS within 24 hours i.e Feb 24 '06 ... According to Service Rep at FBI FP section.
IL notice Date: Apr 24 '06
Interview Date: Jun 27 '06

Pramela-
Thanks for the update.

From recent interview exp for parents that I've been reading on the forums, they are not complicated at all. You should take all the docs that they've requested on the letter and everything that you sent with your I-130, 485 package to the interview, just to be on the safe side. You shall expect to see "needurhelp's" parent's interview exp in about a week in this thread :)

I read a recent Interview exp for someone's mother (see link below). Hope this helps. According to her, no questions were asked by the interviewer except the names. No docs were looked at even though they took everything that they sent with I-130, 485 to the interview. Unfortunately, her mother's case could not be approved on the same day b'cos the FP notice was never sent to them and hence the officer could not approve without FP results. Their approval is pending FP results - other than that it is quite straight forward.
http://www.immigration-information.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4794#post4794

In your case, since the FPs were already done and if your mother's name check was completed in a timely manner by then, her case should be approved on Jun 27th with the approval stamp on the PP. Just be hopeful that you get a nice officer, so it will be a pleasant experience.

The RD for I-485 for my Mom is only a week away from yours. So that I can estimate when approx we can hope to receive our IL, did you receive the IL in your mailbox on friday?

Last edited by a moderator:
learner29 said:
If your mom lived in a city upto age 21 and the rest 40 years lived in another city after marriage; do you need police clearence from both cities or only the one for the last 40 years? (Mubai consulate will be for CP)

Learner29,

We have not reached that stage yet. However, we plan to follow the instructions from Mumbai Consulate website.
http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/ivpolicecertificates.html

where it states police certificates are required from
1. Passport Office (if passport was issued within past 6 months)
or from
1. Passport Office and
2. The district police office serving the applicant's place of residence (if passport was issued more than 6 months prior to visa application)

Based on what I have seen in this and consular forums that is what people have been doing. The 2nd requirement is interpreted as current place of residence.

When you receive DS-230 form and instructions (packet 3) from NVC, could you please confirm the supporting documents required alongwith DS230 part1 submission as given below
- Copy of biographic data page of passport, last page of passport
- 2 passport photos

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interview letter

Update in my parents case:

I called NVC today to ask about the status of my parent's case. They said that they have recieved the choice of agent for both and will send me the visa fee bill ($380 per person) sometime this week. Also they have cashed the Affidavit of Support fee bill and they'll send the Affidavit forms sometime this week as well. After they receive the visa fee and cash it (2-4 weeks) they'll send the DS-230 to me since I'm the agent.

The next question was who will receive the interview letter? And the answer is NVC has the calendar of all embassis and makes the interview appointment and sends out the interview letter and medical information to the AGENT(me). This was something new to me since I was thinking the interview letter is being sent from the embassy and directly to parents so I was going to do a change of address for my parents(they have sold their house and moving to a new place) but it looks like all the letters are coming to me which is great. Anybody that has received the interview letter could you post your experience and if the letter was sent to you or your parents and who was the agent???
Thanks a lot to everyone contributing to this site.

aabraham said:
Update in my parents case:

The next question was who will receive the interview letter? And the answer is NVC has the calendar of all embassis and makes the interview appointment and sends out the interview letter and medical information to the AGENT(me). This was something new to me since I was thinking the interview letter is being sent from the embassy and directly to parents so I was going to do a change of address for my parents(they have sold their house and moving to a new place) but it looks like all the letters are coming to me which is great. Anybody that has received the interview letter could you post your experience and if the letter was sent to you or your parents and who was the agent???
Thanks a lot to everyone contributing to this site.

Good to see that things are progressing well in your case.

There are two categories of consulates. For appointment review consulates(in Albania, Canada, Lebanon, Philippines, Turkey, United Arab Emirates or on the continent of Africa), NVC schedules the interview. For Standard review consulates (Rest of world), the consulate schedules the interview. Depending on this the steps at NVC and consulate will be somewhat different.

NVC has some information on this
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1309.html

Immihelp website explains this little better however, the information there may not be current.
http://www.immihelp.com/gc/consular/instructions-for-immigrant-visa-applicants.html

visaapplicant said:
Good to see that things are progressing well in your case.

There are two categories of consulates. For appointment review consulates(in Albania, Canada, Lebanon, Philippines, Turkey, United Arab Emirates or on the continent of Africa), NVC schedules the interview. For Standard review consulates (Rest of world), the consulate schedules the interview. Depending on this the steps at NVC and consulate will be somewhat different.

NVC has some information on this
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1309.html

Immihelp website explains this little better however, the information there may not be current.
http://www.immihelp.com/gc/consular/instructions-for-immigrant-visa-applicants.html

Here is the text from the link above :

"Approximately one month before your scheduled interview
appointment with a consular officer, you will receive an
appointment letter containing the date and time of your visa
interview along with instructions for obtaining a medical
examination."

1) It does not say who is scheduling the appointment NVC or consulate?
2) It's not clear that "You/your" refers to the agent or the beneficiary?

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

aabraham said:
Here is the text from the link above :

"Approximately one month before your scheduled interview
appointment with a consular officer, you will receive an
appointment letter containing the date and time of your visa
interview along with instructions for obtaining a medical
examination."

1) It does not say who is scheduling the appointment NVC or consulate?
2) It's not clear that "You/your" refers to the agent or the beneficiary?

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

I am not sure about appointment review consulate. But from your first post on this page, it seems NVC already answered it for you?! :eek: NVC will schedule it and send it to agent (again I am going by what you have said). Some one having experience with these consulates can answer it better. You may want to check Montreal (Canada) and other pertinent threads in consular forum for more insight.

For Standard review consulate (Mumbai in my case), I was planning to rely on consulate sending letter to my parents. But we will plan on checking Mumbai website for interview schedule.

Does your assigned consulate post the schedule on website?

visaapplicant said:
Does your assigned consulate post the schedule on website?

That's a good question. I don't know. My consulate is Abu Dhabi so I'll try to find the schedule.

terriffic news!!!

okay, i've got some great news, so i thought i would update... regarding my dad's case... they received RFE response on May 4th, and approved I130 on May 8th!!!! so i am happy and excited and i cant believe it!!! the I 485 has been updated too, but still the same massege... nothing about aproval.. i am not sure what this means... but i know if they aprove something it is good. this is all online, we havent received anything in the mail yet.

as for my moms case... jenimi told me to call and file a "report?" i dont remem,ber what it was called... but i did, and today they aproved my mom's work authorization and advance parole.. thanks Jennimi.. :) couldn't have done it wothout you :)

good luck everyone, i hope we all get to hear the news we have been waiting for, and have a great day!!!

greencardmaze said:
okay, i've got some great news, so i thought i would update... regarding my dad's case... they received RFE response on May 4th, and approved I130 on May 8th!!!! so i am happy and excited and i cant believe it!!! the I 485 has been updated too, but still the same massege... nothing about aproval.. i am not sure what this means... but i know if they aprove something it is good. this is all online, we havent received anything in the mail yet.

as for my moms case... jenimi told me to call and file a "report?" i dont remem,ber what it was called... but i did, and today they aproved my mom's work authorization and advance parole.. thanks Jennimi.. :) couldn't have done it wothout you :)

good luck everyone, i hope we all get to hear the news we have been waiting for, and have a great day!!!

Congrats, greencardmaze!
The thing I said they would give when you call to follow-up is a case "referral" #, but you were close :D

It's a sign of progress that the I-130 was approved. Soon either you can expect a IL or a case transfer to a SC where your parents case may be directly approved (i.e. interview waived).
Pls keep us posted and Good luck with the rest of the process!

Help: What after DS 230?

I am agent for my parents in India. Applied for CP. Just got e mail from NVC that they have received my fees and mailed me DS 230.

Can anyone again summarize all agent needs to do is send forms to India for parents to fill originals and then parents send them to NVC?

Is there any other information of importance? Any help from experienced people is appreciated.

DS 230 field of work in USA?

What do your parents over 65 put in the field where it asks for what kind of work do you intend to perform in the USA?

greencardmaze said:
needurhelp, i thought i would give a little update... today in the mail I received the letter of aproval of the I130 for my dad, and online they said they ordered the green card and i will receive it as soon as it is ready!!!!we are all very excited and i wanted to share the good newes!! :D :D :D

Congrats, greencardmaze!!! :)
So, was this a direct approval by transfer to CSC (Interview waived)?
Is this case with a ND of Dec? Pls confirm.

needurhelp-
Would it be possible for you to update this one too?

Pramela said:
GC/ AOS for a Parent
Newark DO
I-485 & AP Applied after I130 Approved.
Receipt Dt: Jan 22 '06 (I-485)
Notice Dt: Jan 27 '06
Recd AP Approval: Feb 17 '06
Finger Prints Done: Feb 23 '06
FP approved and sent to INS within 24 hours i.e Feb 24 '06 ... According to Service Rep at FBI FP section.
IL notice Date: Apr 24 '06
Interview Date: Jun 27 '06

jenimmi said:
Congrats, greencardmaze!!! :)
So, was this a direct approval by transfer to CSC (Interview waived)?
Is this case with a ND of Dec? Pls confirm.

yes jenimmi, this is a direct approval... they didnt change the ND( at least this is what i assumed) at first i received a letter telling me the case has been transferred to CSC and that CSC will send me a letter with a new receipt number...etc. this didnt happen. what happened is CSC sent me a request for evidence, and then 4 days after my response they aproved the I-130, then a few days later the I485, and said that they will mail the green card as soon as it is ready.throuout the process, the receipt number didnt change. also there was no interview.

I realy dont think they change your ND when they transfer your case... at least this is what i understand, and this is what happened in my dad's case.
HTH....

greencardmaze -

Good for you, right after the RFE response, they seem to have approved it.
What I meant to ask in my previous post about Dec ND was :
You have Dec 13 and Jan 25 as ND for each of your parents and I wanted you to confirm that the GC approval was for the Dec 13 ND ;)

needurhelp -
Thanks for updating.
At the risk of being called a nitpicker :D can you pls update greencardmaze entry as "No" for Interview and "Yes" for RFE.

Reentry

Will immigration office offer any document for reentry USA after I pass the green card interview? I will have my green card interview within the next few weeks, but I have an expired Malaysia passport. Malaysia government policy will not allowed renew expired passport from whom reside oversea. All Malaysian must renew its passport in Malaysia,if the passport expired, but Malaysia consulate will issue emergency certificate for traveling back to Malaysia only. Will the immigration officer stamp my expire passport or provide any document so that I can be assure can enter USA?