GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

i thought AP would only take 60 days... my mom's ND is Jan. 25th, and still no AP or work authorization... i am kind of getting worried. i scheduelled an infopass for iEAD a few minutes ago, but they wouldnt let me scheduelle another apointment to ask aboutwhy AP isnt aproved yet... i'll try again later today i guess...

Jenimmi, you havent recieved your AP for your parent either i guess... are you at all concerned? will you try to get infopass to get the document?? do you think this is normal??

Re: 485 Online status

Hi Jenimmi & Peeyen,

Thanks for your replies. I was on the phone for around 1 hr too (my ears got sore) and when the cust serv rep came on, she heard my side and said that she'll transfer the call to an immig officer (another 30 mins) and finally, he took down all the details and said that he'll put in a request to the Milwaukee center asking why the status is not showing online. I expressed concern that it might delay the case and he said that it might or it might not and that I should wait another 30 days to get a reply from them and call back again. My Dad got his FP notice but not my mom eventhough we sent their applns the same day in the same packet! So, it does seem like her case might get delayed:-( By the way, I also sent a follow up letter to the Chicago lockbox complaining about the status not showing and also including my chat with the immig officer. Just got to wait it out & see.

Thanks,
smg

greencardmaze said:
i thought AP would only take 60 days... my mom's ND is Jan. 25th, and still no AP or work authorization... i am kind of getting worried. i scheduelled an infopass for iEAD a few minutes ago, but they wouldnt let me scheduelle another apointment to ask aboutwhy AP isnt aproved yet... i'll try again later today i guess...

Jenimmi, you havent recieved your AP for your parent either i guess... are you at all concerned? will you try to get infopass to get the document?? do you think this is normal??

If you check the NBC timeline for AP, it is already showing processing date as : Feb 15 '06 for I-131. So, either the AP is on its way or just like my mother's case your mother's case is also lying somewhere untouched. If you are able to check the status of your I-131 online, you'll know if it's already approved (going by the Processing Date, it might have).

If it still says "it is taking 30 - 60 days to process this blah.. blah) then you should call the Cust service line and ask them what happened to the AP, as your ND is 1/25 and they are already processing 2/15.

I was really concerned about my mother's AP not getting approved when every one else was and also there was a need to get expedited AP for her. So, I called the Newark DO several times and finally found out who was responsible in handling the AP approvals. Then I made an Infopass appt - this was actually to find out about why we hadn't received FP notice - but I also used this appt to meet the AP officer and I explained the reason for expedited AP. He handed it to me in a couple of hours.

I believe the InfoPass system lets you make only one appt, until such time the appt date/time has passed.

But you don't have to make a separate appt for iEad and AP. When I went for my InfoPass, I saw some of them had come there for both. I think the Infopass appt web page has these various options that you can check - like iEad, meeting with an officer etc., If you go back to make a fresh appt, if you put the A# of your Mom, it will open up your existing appt page and you can see a link where you can modify your entry in the checkboxes.
Even if you can't, I believe you can ask about both issues at your appt.

What's ur DO, GCM?
Good luck!

genimi, thanks for the reply... we live in IL so i guess the DO is chicago... i logged on again and managed to get an appointment on the 27th, so hopefully then we will ask and we will get the IEAD... i hope they havent forgotten about my mom's application!! i keep checking the status online, and nothing has been updated since the day of her fingerprinting in february...we'll see how things go. i hope they get her papers back in the system.

smg said:
Hi Jenimmi & Peeyen,

Thanks for your replies. I was on the phone for around 1 hr too (my ears got sore) and when the cust serv rep came on, she heard my side and said that she'll transfer the call to an immig officer (another 30 mins) and finally, he took down all the details and said that he'll put in a request to the Milwaukee center asking why the status is not showing online. I expressed concern that it might delay the case and he said that it might or it might not and that I should wait another 30 days to get a reply from them and call back again. My Dad got his FP notice but not my mom eventhough we sent their applns the same day in the same packet! So, it does seem like her case might get delayed:-( By the way, I also sent a follow up letter to the Chicago lockbox complaining about the status not showing and also including my chat with the immig officer. Just got to wait it out & see.

Thanks,
smg

I think if you write to Chicago lock box, it might get forwarded to NBC - the Missouri address that you see on the Receipt letter / or probably they won't do anything about it. I believe once they cash the checks and verify some basic stuff with the application, lock box facility sends it to NBC (Or MSC - it's the same thing). So, if you want to write in the future, it is recommended (by a supervisor at my DO) to write to the MSC at Lee's summit, MO. You can find the address in the bottom left of your receipt letters.
Good luck!

greencardmaze said:
genimi, thanks for the reply... we live in IL so i guess the DO is chicago... i logged on again and managed to get an appointment on the 27th, so hopefully then we will ask and we will get the IEAD... i hope they havent forgotten about my mom's application!! i keep checking the status online, and nothing has been updated since the day of her fingerprinting in february...we'll see how things go. i hope they get her papers back in the system.

If it's 90 days on Apr.27th, then you should get the iEAD on the same day. If you have a solid reason for expedited AP, then you should state it during your appt and apply for expedited AP too. If you tell them that the processing date for AP is Feb 15th and your ND is Jan 25th, then they should DO something about it. Good luck with your IP appt, keep us updated.

Docs needed for DS 230

VisaApplicant -

I'm trying to come up with a list of docs, copies of certificates needed etc., that needs to be sent, once we receive the DS-230 part I from NVC. In case, you already have made a list, will you be able to post it? Also do you have a list of what parents need to take with them during interview?

Thank you very much! :)

jenimmi said:
VisaApplicant -

I'm trying to come up with a list of docs, copies of certificates needed etc., that needs to be sent, once we receive the DS-230 part I from NVC. In case, you already have made a list, will you be able to post it? Also do you have a list of what parents need to take with them during interview?

Thank you very much! :)

Jenimmi,

I am also trying to figure out the documents needed for DS-230. I do not have exact info since NVC send out that information alongwith DS-230 part 1. Also it depends on the consulate. However, based on information from Mumbai consulate website and one of their attachments, I was able to infer some of the things and Jaise (Chennai consulate) confirmed it for his case. So here it goes.
It seems the following (for the applicant) needs to be sent to NVC alongwith DS-230 part 1
1. Copy of biographic data page of passport

I am creating a list of documents needed for interview. This very much depends on consulate and I have noticed some differences in what Mumbai and Chennai are requesting as well.

Just for reference, per my understanding the following will be needed in my case for CP at Mumbai. There are additional requirements that may apply to others at Mumbai and of course at any other consulate requirements will be different.
- DS 230 parts I & II (Part II to be signed in front of consular officer)
- 2 photographs
- Medical report
- Birth Certificate (or non availability certificate and secondary evidence e.g. school record, affidavit of relative sworn before a First Class Magistrate)
- Police Certificates (from local passport office and district police station)
- Marriage certificate of petitioner (not sure why but it is listed as requirement)
- Marriage certificate of applicant
- Petitioner's recent paystubs (to make I-864 supporting evidence current)
- Evidence of relationship to petitioner (old & recent photographs, letters, cards, telephone records etc.)

Please share any additional info. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
needurhelp said:
Jen,

I've added information regarding the CP process a week ago to the first original post. Check it out and let me know if the content is in line with the actual process.

This is one of the links which points to a checklist doc:

Check List

Needurhelp,

Thanks for compiling the CP process. The process you have outlined is in line with what I have seen on NVC website. I like the way you have kept it at high level since the specifics will depend on the consulate. Appreciate your efforts in maintaining this thread.

Thank you both, needurhelp and VisaApplicant. :)

The info posted by the both of you are quite comprehensive and very helpful. If I do come across something that should be included, I shall let you know.
I'm also going to check if Chennai's (consulate) requirements are any different.

Thanks again.

needurhelp -
One more question.

I have several copies of all the supporting docs that I sent with my Mom's I-864.
Just being lazy to get all the docs once again for my Dad's CP and so am planning to use a copy of the docs that I sent with my Mom's I-864.

The I-864 supporting docs for CP must also be the same, don't you think?

Supporting docs will be same but make sure you wud include copy of 2005 tax returns and W2. Though everyone says its only one yr tax returns but our IL says last three yrs to bring to the interview if already not included in I-864 filing.

needurhelp said:
Supporting docs will be same but make sure you wud include copy of 2005 tax returns and W2. Though everyone says its only one yr tax returns but our IL says last three yrs to bring to the interview if already not included in I-864 filing.

Thank you! Yes.. I have already included the '05 returns in the folder - just so I won't forget it in the last minute.

Wow.. I can't believe that you're asked to bring 3 yrs tax returns to the interview. I thought parents interview are just "namesake". I know we should be taking everything with us to the interview that we sent already as supporting docs. Anyway, can you also please tell us what other docs are mentioned in the letter?

One or Two I-485

I am sponsoring both my parent's GC application. Do my parents need two I-485 forms or just one I-485 for my father, and list my mother in Part 3B, by checking "Yes" for "Applying with you". Thanks a lot.

gtvsc said:
I am sponsoring both my parent's GC application. Do my parents need two I-485 forms or just one I-485 for my father, and list my mother in Part 3B, by checking "Yes" for "Applying with you". Thanks a lot.

I believe the correct answer is: Two, one for each parent.

just a quick update, my dad's case which was sent to CSC... i got an email saying they sent us RFE... i wonder what that could be about??? i was hoping the email would say green card aproval... anyway we'll see what they need, and i will update again...

gtvsc said:
Yes, they need to file I-485 separately. But, the "Yes" for "Applying with you" should be checked in both applications, anyway.
Good luck!

Question about Interview letter

My parents are about to sell their house and move somepalce else and I'm worried about the letters geting lost. My understanding is if they appoint me as their agent I'll recieve all the forms from NVC but what I'm worried about is the letter from Embassy that notifies them for interview date. For those of you who have passed that stage could you post

If that letter was sent to your parents or you?
If it was sent to parents did you also receive a copy?
Did embassy send it via regular mail or something that requires signature?(DHL maybe)
What happens if parents don't receive the letter? Do they need it for interview or they can show up and say they never got the letter?
Is there a way to do change of address for parents?

Thanks,
aabraham

Anahit said:
Yes, they need to file I-485 separately. But, the "Yes" for "Applying with you" should be checked in both applications, anyway.
Good luck!

Will do. Thanks a lot.

aabraham said:
My parents are about to sell their house and move somepalce else and I'm worried about the letters geting lost. My understanding is if they appoint me as their agent I'll recieve all the forms from NVC but what I'm worried about is the letter from Embassy that notifies them for interview date. For those of you who have passed that stage could you post

If that letter was sent to your parents or you?
If it was sent to parents did you also receive a copy?
Did embassy send it via regular mail or something that requires signature?(DHL maybe)
What happens if parents don't receive the letter? Do they need it for interview or they can show up and say they never got the letter?
Is there a way to do change of address for parents?

Thanks,
aabraham

I don't have the answers to all your questions and my parents haven't crossed that stage either. But from what's posted on the forums:

The interview letter is usually accompanied by a packet from the Consulate and it has the instructions for Medical clearance, Police clearance etc., and ofcourse the interview notice.
Even if you are the agent, I believe you do not get a copy of this.
Your parents cannot just show up without an interview notice at the Consulate. In case of consulates in India, I know for sure you are not let in even through the front gate, without any official notice from USCIS or Consulate.
You may want to try calling the NVC to update them of the address change. Ask them and follow the formal procedure (to notify address change) in this case.