GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

Just wanted to update our experience at InfoPass on Friday:
In a nutshell, regarding FP - IP was USELESS :mad:

There was a lady with ATTITUDE spelled all over herself and was rude all the time. I saw that was the way she was talking to every one that was unfortunate enough to be called to her counter. Why cannot they think of appointing friendly officers at IP, who don't have a tone and attitude?
Anyway, I only went to Infopass to get a referral letter to meet the AOS supervisor and of course as fate would have it, the AOS supervisor who I intended to meet, was out sick.

I went outside the building and called the AP supervisor (who I had spoken to before) and asked him if I could drop off papers documenting the need for emergency AP. (The need for my Mom to travel might arise any time now). He told me where to drop off the papers and within a couple of hours, we got the expedited AP. He was an angel and I saw that when he came out to meet us to hand over the AP, some of the others who were waiting in that area, saw his good nature and ran to ask him various questions including deportation cases. He kept standing there for nearly an hour answering questions and I could see then how Newark balances the GOOD, the bad and the UGLY officers.

I also had a chat with the friendly supervisor on the CZ floor and he told us that recently he has come across cases where IL was sent out before FP appt notice. He said in such a case, the delay is quite unavoidable. He added, it is totally at the Interviewing officer's interest to follow-up on the FP results for a case, at his own sweet time, when FP is scheduled after interview. I guess, this is when one has to use their contacts and write numerous letters to DO, if one has not heard from them, a month after FP results are sent from FBI.

If anyone is in a similar situation, I would strongly suggest that if they get IL prior to FP notice, keep calling your DO until you get to speak to a supervisor at AOS and I'm sure they can do something to schedule FP before interview. Why should you waste months in your process? This is what I plan to do, I'm not going to give up that easily.
Next step: Waiting for IL or if lucky, an FP appt letter :D

gtvsc said:
One of my friends told me that he had applied GC for his parents through the local office (Philadelphia) couple of years ago. He and his parents personally went to the local office, submitted the applications and got finger prints done the same day. It saved them lots of time. Can we still file the applications (GC, AOS) with the local office? Thanks a lot!

No, you can't.
The local offices stopped accepting apps at least more than a year ago. The way it works now is that every Imm relative category application gets filed with the Chicago lock box and they forward it to NBC (also called MSC). Then, NBC schedules FP for applicant at the local DO. Thereafter the applicant either gets called for an interview at local DO or in the case of Interview waiver, gets direct appoval without interview.

visaapplicant said:
Jenimmi,

Good to know that your Mom's AP got approved. Hopefully FP will be sorted out soon before she travels.

Thanks VisaApplicant. We are all hoping for the same.

I happened to ask the supervisor who I met, about the VSC processing dates for our category which is showing Dec 3rd for a really long time. He said, they are aware that VSC has slowed down for the past couple of months and for no special reason. Well.. I think I know why? May be because we applied?? :D

Newark AOS Supervisor :)

I couldn't believe my luck when I got a call from the AOS supervisor at Newark. She is extremely professional and apologized that she couldn't meet us during our InfoPass, 'cos she was out that day.

She said, she couldn't help us this time with the FP appt b'cos they haven't received anything about my mom's case from NBC, yet. But she assured me several times that she would schedule an FP appt as soon as we let her know, that we got the IL. I'm so happy now. Crossing my fingers and waiting for the IL (already written off hopes of a FP notice) :D :D

It does really pay, when you are on top of your case. I have sent at least 4 different letters so far to NBC and Newark and finally things started working. I also kept calling Newark DO, so many times until I found a supervisor who was willing to help. She is the best I've come across so far. I was so overwhelmed with emotion when she said, "oh.. Please don't thank me so much.. I'm just doing my job". Oh my God! how many officers - I mean supervisors are this kind and helpful ?? May God bless her!!!

When my mom's case is finally over, I plan to send a letter to the Director of Newark DO, appreciating the work of every single officer/supervisor who we've come across in the process, and who has done their job efficiently. :)

Hi Yamini,

Hopefully you're still following this thread. As you're processing your in-laws' CP from the Mumbai consulate, I'd appreciate it if you could please answer a few questions I had, since I too am having my parents CP done from Mumbai. I'm trying to be as prepared as possible.

Have you applied for their Police Clearance Certificate? If so, what is considered a district police office and how do I find out which one is relevant to my locality? Are the forms the same for the passport office and the police office and are they available online or do we have to collect them from the respective offices? Did you face any problems obtaining the PCC from the police office, you know... the usual.

If anyone else has any experience for the Mumbai consulate or any other for that matter, please feel free to pitch in.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my queries.

What do you mean by Visa Number is the one in RED ?

needurhelp said:
Recently, the number of petitioners for parents GC has gone up and there are several threads floating around with information.

Let's make use of this new thread as a new source of information with relevant links. Also, lets track our parents cases here since their class is different from the Spouse of USC under the same category.

For now, my signature has the relevant case information. As time passes, I'll try to update the information. Also please pass on the relevant links to be added along with your timeline.

For Whom Are You Petitioning?

For AOS or CP, I-130 is the common form.
  1. Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, Petition for Alien Relative (if you are filing for both parents, you must file a separate petition for each parent)
  2. Filing Fee - $190.00 (Don't forget to check the USCIS for the latest)
  3. A copy of petitioner's birth certificate showing your name and parent's name
  4. If your name or your parent's name is different now than at the time of your birth, you must provide evidence of the legal name change.
  5. A copy of your parents’ civil marriage certificate (for father's application)
  6. If you were not born in the United States, a copy of either your Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship or your U.S. passport
In case of missing Birth Certificate:
Non-Availability Certificate from the Governmental Agency
Two affidavits from family members - from an older blood relative, i.e., a parent, aunt, uncle, sibling, who has personal knowledge of your birth

In case of missing Marriage Certificate:
Two affidavits from family members
Wedding Invitation

Affidavits must be notarized
Do not forget to include the certified translated copies of any letters provided in foreign language.

For AOS - Family-Based Applications - Immediate Relatives

Submit the following forms:
  • I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status
    Fee - $395.00, includes $70.00 Biometrics Fee
    Photographs - Two
    Applicant Birth Certificate - see above in case of missing official Birth Certificate
    Copy of Visa page(s)
    Copy of I-94 - Both Sides
    Visa Number is the one in RED
  • G-325A, Biographic Information
    No Fee
  • Either your original I-130, Petition for Alien Relative (if you are filing concurrently), or a copy of your I-797, Notice of Action (if the petition was already approved).
  • I-864, Affidavit of Support
    No Fee
    Employment Verification letter
    Copy of Tax Returns or Tax Transcripts - Last Three Years, recently changed to 1 year
    Copy of W2 - Last Three Years, if filed Joint Tax Returns and only one of them is the sponsor
  • I-864A, if Co-Sponsor is needed and filed along with I-864. This form is needed if the main sponsor's income is not sufficient
    No Fee
    Co-Sponsors Employment Verification Letter
    Co-Sponsors Copy of Tax Returns or Tax Transcripts - Last Three Years, recently changed to 1 year
    Co-Sponsors Copy of W2 - Last Three Years, if filed Joint Tax Returns and only one of them is the sponsor
  • I-693, Medical Examination of Aliens Seeking Adjustment of Status
    It has to be sealed
    No Fee
All required supporting documentation as listed on the above forms.

You may download a package of all of these forms in PDF format (41 pages, 1.89 MB)

You may also submit the following forms:
  • G-28, Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Representative (if you have a lawyer)
    No Fee
  • I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, if you want to work while your application is processed
    Fee - $ 180.00
    Photographs - Two
    Copy of I-94 - Both sides
  • I-131, Application for Travel Document, if you need to travel outside the United States while your application is processed
    Fee - $ 170.00
Where to File - Concurrent Filing - AOS
Chicago Lockbox
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
P.O. Box 805887
Chicago, IL 60680-4120

Or, for non-United States Postal Service (USPS) deliveries (e.g. private couriers)

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Attn: FBASI
427 S. LaSalle – 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60605-1098

Where to File - only I-485 after I-130 Approval
Apply at Chicago Lockbox

Where to File - only I-130 for CP
Apply at your Service Center

Cases Transferred to CSC - USCIS Statement

FBI Finger Print Status Check 304-625-5590 (press 3) - applied for I-485 - give them your Alien number

AOS
Name--------->DO-------->ND------------------>GC/Interview------>Days->Interview--->RFE
anahitdad----->LA-------->December 8, 2004---->July 6, 2005------->210-->Yes--------->No---->Name Check Pending
anahitmom---->LA-------->December 8, 2004---->July 6, 2005------->210-->Yes--------->No---->Name Check Pending
qq!dad------->Milwaukee-->July 11, 2005-------->January 5, 2006--->178-->Yes-------->No---->Name Check Pending
kavmum------>Atlanta---->September 22, 2005-->January 12, 2006-->112-->No--------->Yes
simidude------>LA-------->October 17, 2005----->March 1, 2006---->135-->No-------->Yes
lori----------->Newark---->December 8, 2005---->April 27, 2006----->140-->YES------->No
greencardmaze>IL--------->December 13, 2006--->------------------>----->----------->------->Transferred to CSC on March 10, 2006
needurhelp---->Atlanta---->December 19, 2005--->May 18, 2006----->150->YES------->No
aalvar10------>Miami------>December 27, 2005--->------------------>----->
qq!mum------->Milwaukee->December 30, 2005--->------------------>----->
patel1229----->Hartford--->January 13, 2006----->------------------>----->
jenimmimum--->Newark---->February 3, 2006----->----------------->------>

CP
name------------>Svc Center->I-130 ND------------->I-130 Approved------>NVC Received------->NVC to Consulate---->Consulate->Interview date
sdalvie----------->CSC-------->January 2005-------->--------------------->April 2005---------->December 2005------>Chennai--->February 23, 2006
pinto19---------->VSC-------->6/27/05--->8/28/05-->----------------------------------------->February 3, 2006---->Dhaka----->March 5, 14 2006
peeyen---------->CSC-------->April 2005------------>March 16, 2006------>-------------------->-------------------->Mumbai
jaisejames------->VSC--------->8/18/05--->11/3/05->--------------------->November 2005----->February 8, 2006---->Chennai--->April 10, 2006
aabrahammum---->CSC-------->August 31, 2005----->------------------->-------------------->
aabrahamdad----->CSC-------->August 31, 2005----->March 22, 2006---->-------------------->
Yamini PatelDad-->VSC-------->September 28, 2005->-------------------->-------------------->November 4, 2005--->Mumbai---->
Yamini PatelMom->VSC-------->September 28, 2005->-------------------->-------------------->January 31, 2006---->Mumbai---->
ranchun--------->VSC--------->December 13, 2005->---------------------->-------------------->--------------------->China
jenimmidad------->VSC-------->Febrauary15, 2006-->-------------------->-------------------->--------------------->Chennai---->
visaapplicant----->VSC-------->Febrauary15, 2006-->-------------------->-------------------->---------------------->Mumbai---->
abs9080---------->NSC------->March 13, 2006------>--------------------->-------------------->----------------------->Manila----->

On one of the forms, the applicant has to enter their Visa Number from the Visa page of the passport. It is not really obvious as there is Control Number with a label but Visa Number is displayed in Red without any label. There is no way one would know that's the Visa number.

update in my case

I received a package from NVC yesterday(04/07/06) asking my to pay the AOS fee bill for my father's case.
A separate letter was informing me that the agent form has been sent to my dad and a copy was inculed for me in case my dad didn't receive it, so I can fax or mail him that copy. It has a barcode on the letter. I thought I could fax it have my dad sign it and fax it back to me but I called NVC just to make sure that's ok and they said I can fax them the letter but my dad has to send the signed letter back to NVC since they want to see the original signature. So I'll just wait for my parents to get the letters sign and send them back.
Another thing I want to mention is that the Affidavit of Support processing fee(AOS) is $70 per case but there is an exception. If you are a US citizen filing for both parents you should only send one cashier check or money order of $70 and that is enough for both parents. Same for a US citizen applying for spouse and children, only one proccessing fee is enough. The only catch is you should wait and receive all the letters from NVC then send back all the fee bills and one cashiers check or money order in ONE envelope to NVC. So in my case I'll wait another couple of days to get the package for my mom then send both fee bills and one money order of $70 to NVC.
Also NVC has different addresses for sending the agent form and the fees. They don't go to the same place so be carefull.
I think NVC's handling of customer calls and cases is much much better than INS. My call was answered in less than 2 minutes and I got all the answers. Even the lady told me that they have my mom's case there also and her package was sent out couple of days after my dad's without me asking for it.
needurhelp, I noticed you don't have my mom's case approval in the process times, so you might want to update it with the new status. Thank you.

aabraham -

Every small progress counts.. Congratulations!!
And thanks for the update too.

About signing the Agent form and bar code issue, there were some posts here, discussing this recently. You can fax the forms to your parents, but make sure that they use the Express mail/ Courier service to send them back to you. Then you can verify everything is correct and mail them to NVC after attaching the respective barcode(s).

Yes.. there were posts before which indicated that NVC is far more responsive and accurate in their info than USCIS customer mis-info line. The NVC # that you called, is it the same one on the NVC website?

Confused Need Help !!

Hi Folks,

My wife applied for her mom's gc and filed the I-130 and support documents.

So my mother-in-law had her interview in India and got her immigrant visa stamped. My question is this :

I know we have to file for AOS when she gets here but does she have to go through the interview and fingerprinting again ? She already went through the FP, Background check and interview in India U.S Consulate. Does she really need to redo it when she gets here ??

I'm based in dallas and do know that there is a Dallas Office Rapid Adjustment program designed for a 90 day turn around so will definitely set up appointment for AOS for her.

What is the process when she gets here and approximately how long does it take ?

Thanks In advance,

- Muni

muni2773 said:
Hi Folks,

My wife applied for her mom's gc and filed the I-130 and support documents.

So my mother-in-law had her interview in India and got her immigrant visa stamped. My question is this :

I know we have to file for AOS when she gets here but does she have to go through the interview and fingerprinting again ? She already went through the FP, Background check and interview in India U.S Consulate. Does she really need to redo it when she gets here ??

I'm based in dallas and do know that there is a Dallas Office Rapid Adjustment program designed for a 90 day turn around so will definitely set up appointment for AOS for her.

What is the process when she gets here and approximately how long does it take ?

Thanks In advance,

- Muni

Congratulations on your M-I-L getting approved!

She does NOT have to file for AOS here, as she already got her Immigrant visa stamped on her PP in India. In the context of this case, AOS is only for cases where they adjust from a non-immigrant visa to a Immigrant visa category. Since she already got her Imm visa stamped, she doesn't have to go through the AOS process - which means no FP or interview (until she applies for CZ :) ).

The Immigrant visa stamp I believe, is only valid for 180 days - so she must travel to the U.S within 180 days. As per some one's post earlier, the Consulate (which one is it?) in India must have also given her an envelope I guess, which she must hand over to the officer at POE, without opening it. The POE officer will verify the info on her PP, should take care of the formalities and she should get her GC within a couple of months, latest.

Some of us here are filing for Parents through CP in India. For our benefit, would you be able to share the entire timeline such as when Filed, when I-130 approved (by TSC?), when Agent form was received, Fee bill, DS-230, Interview packet, FP date, Interview date etc. Oh.. and also which Consulate in India?
Specifically, at what point in the process was the FP taken at the consulate? Was that prior to the interview?
Was the PP stamped on the same day as the interview?
Just curious - how did she know that her background/name check was completed? Did they tell her that during the interview?
Thanks for sharing the info.

Questions: G-325A

Thank jenimmi for the answer regarding submitting the application to a local office.

I am sponsoring my parents, and they are here in US with me. I am confused about the form G-325A. Is this form for me and/or for my parents? Thanks a lot.

gtvsc said:
Thank jenimmi for the answer regarding submitting the application to a local office.

I am sponsoring my parents, and they are here in US with me. I am confused about the form G-325A. Is this form for me and/or for my parents? Thanks a lot.

G-325A, Biographic Information, is for your parents.

peeyen said:
Hi Yamini,

Hopefully you're still following this thread. As you're processing your in-laws' CP from the Mumbai consulate, I'd appreciate it if you could please answer a few questions I had, since I too am having my parents CP done from Mumbai. I'm trying to be as prepared as possible.

Have you applied for their Police Clearance Certificate? If so, what is considered a district police office and how do I find out which one is relevant to my locality? Are the forms the same for the passport office and the police office and are they available online or do we have to collect them from the respective offices? Did you face any problems obtaining the PCC from the police office, you know... the usual.

If anyone else has any experience for the Mumbai consulate or any other for that matter, please feel free to pitch in.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my queries.

Hi,

I really don't know have answer for you. I talked to my in-laws and they said, they will not have any problems getting police clearence certificate. They live in Ahmedabade. So they will have to get the State and local district police certificate. I don't really know if they have already obtained it or not.

Yamini

aabraham said:
update in my case

I received a package from NVC yesterday(04/07/06) asking my to pay the AOS fee bill for my father's case.

aabraham,

Congratulations on further progress on your application! Thanks for the update and sharing all the info. Based on your timeline, it seems that within 3 weeks of I-130 approval you received first letter from NVC. I hope they continue with this type of turnaround time.

What consulate will your parents go for interview? Please keep us posted with your progress.

aabraham & jenimmi,

I was thinking about completing agent form and DS-230 form in acrobat and then having my parents sign it. But now I am wondering whether I should fill it by hand. Since NVC sends us hard copy of those forms and expects us to use those. So whether we use their hard copy forms or downloaded (from NVC website) forms maybe we should fill it by hand. Any thoughts?

I think it should be ok to fill I-864 using fillable acrobat form. Since it is available on USCIS website and it is entirely done by sponsor in USA.

needurhelp, i have been wanting to add my mom's case as well to the site, but i never got the chance... i dont know how to add it to the first sticky page, but here is the info... you have previously added my dad's case.

I130, I485, work and travel documents, all RD on January 22nd, ND Jan25th.
FP Feb. 20th

and all the documents were submitted in ILLinois

I would also like to add that we can track all the info online except the I130... we got an info pass apointment and asked, they said dont worry about it, there is nothing they can do anyway.

No info about the advance parole so far... it has been more than 60 days... i dont know if i need to do anything... there is no hurry, so i think i will wait, and if we dont get the work document on time either, I will get an infopass appointment for both next month( it is a 4 hour drive this is why i choose to wait). anyway i will update the info whenever something happens. thanks.

greencardmaze,

Only I'm allowed to edit the post as I'm the originator. Anyways, I've added ur case.

For tracking the AOS cases, I-485 is critical since they are adjudicated together. So you shud be Ok on that front.

Goodluck in obtaining the EADs. You should have gotten them by now. We got ours right after the FPs. Though the EADs were approved on Feb 15th, the dates on the card are from Jan 16, 06 to Jan 15, 07. My guess is they were waiting for the FP. As soon as my parents were done with their FPs, the EAD was approved in the next couple of business days.

jenimmi said:
Congratulations on your M-I-L getting approved!

She does NOT have to file for AOS here, as she already got her Immigrant visa stamped on her PP in India. In the context of this case, AOS is only for cases where they adjust from a non-immigrant visa to a Immigrant visa category. Since she already got her Imm visa stamped, she doesn't have to go through the AOS process - which means no FP or interview (until she applies for CZ :) ).

The Immigrant visa stamp I believe, is only valid for 180 days - so she must travel to the U.S within 180 days. As per some one's post earlier, the Consulate (which one is it?) in India must have also given her an envelope I guess, which she must hand over to the officer at POE, without opening it. The POE officer will verify the info on her PP, should take care of the formalities and she should get her GC within a couple of months, latest.

Some of us here are filing for Parents through CP in India. For our benefit, would you be able to share the entire timeline such as when Filed, when I-130 approved (by TSC?), when Agent form was received, Fee bill, DS-230, Interview packet, FP date, Interview date etc. Oh.. and also which Consulate in India?
Specifically, at what point in the process was the FP taken at the consulate? Was that prior to the interview?
Was the PP stamped on the same day as the interview?
Just curious - how did she know that her background/name check was completed? Did they tell her that during the interview?
Thanks for sharing the info.

Jenimmi Thanks for the feedback.

So if I understand correctly when she gets here the immigration officer will start the process to apply for the green card and will mail it. Is that a request she needs to make explicitly or does it happen automatically.

Also she cant stay this time for more than 20 days. Can I apply for I-131 now even before she gets here or can I only do it when she arrives ?

Timeline
Mailed in I-130 and support docs. : April 2003
Case Approved : May 2005
Fingerprinting, Background Check Interview November,December 2005
All Approved with Visa Packet: March 2006
Consulate: Mumbai

Let me know if you need more specific dates and I'll fish them out of the file.

Muni

visaapplicant said:
aabraham & jenimmi,

I was thinking about completing agent form and DS-230 form in acrobat and then having my parents sign it. But now I am wondering whether I should fill it by hand. Since NVC sends us hard copy of those forms and expects us to use those. So whether we use their hard copy forms or downloaded (from NVC website) forms maybe we should fill it by hand. Any thoughts?

I think it should be ok to fill I-864 using fillable acrobat form. Since it is available on USCIS website and it is entirely done by sponsor in USA.

Yes.. you are correct. I think it would look more legit if we fill DS-230 & Agent form by hand because they mailed it to us.
You can call me old-fashioned ;) , but I'm going to fill I-864 by hand too, 'cos this is also mailed to us, right?