pramela said:
GC/ AOS for a Parent
Newark DO
I-485 & AP Applied after I130 Approved.
Receipt Dt: Jan 22 '06 (I-485)
Notice Dt: Jan 27 '06
Recd AP Approval: Feb 17 '06
Finger Prints Done: Feb 23 '06
FP approved and sent to INS within 24 hours i.e Feb 24 '06 ... According to Service Rep at FBI FP section.
Expecting Interview Letter ??? Hoping in May or June ???

Pramela -
Hoping that you are still visiting this forum...
has your Mom received her Interview or transfer notice yet?
You might get one by end of April or early May, please post.

Hi JENIMMI,
I'm visiting this forum every now and then. As of today she did not recieve any Interview Notice. Guessing she might get in Middle of May. Sure i'll post if there are any updates immediately.

Thank you all there>>>

needurhelp, THANK Q VERY MUCH for initiating this topic and for vey good compilation of information / sites.

also thank u all other who followed or gave their suggestion with site addresses.

I got my answer for the question which made my mind spin.. what to do next??

My question was in the forum was:
"I am K-3 visa alien of USC spouse in US from 2 months, completed all I-130 requirements and very soon on arrival I recd. letter from USCIS that my document (for I-130) sent to respective consulate mentioning preference category as CR-1, So i didnt filed my AOS being here in US thinking i will go back and apply there for IV instead of applying AOS and waiting long here long.

Applied EAD (a9 category) is pending for fingerprint which seems will take more time bet. 60-180 days as mentioned in I-797C. got offers but not getting into job without EAD/SSN.

Whether i should have to apply for AOS being here or i can stay some more time wait for EAD/ till K-3 validity OR Best is to go to consulate and apply there which will help me avoiding post immigration process. Is visit as K-3 affect in IV process. What will be time span?? Please help."

kamal_sabina said:
My question was in the forum was:
Whether i should have to apply for AOS being here or i can stay some more time wait for EAD/ till K-3 validity OR Best is to go to consulate and apply there which will help me avoiding post immigration process. Is visit as K-3 affect in IV process. What will be time span?? Please help."

How fast is the AOS process depends on the Service Center/DO. Currently, AOS is way faster than CP. If I were you I wud look into the possibility of applying I-485 right away.

Anyways, some learned folks here might have a better idea/solution than the one I proposed. Good luck!!

Let us know of ur SC/DO.

kamal_sabina said:

Just a tip - You may want to post your questions in a separate thread on this forum to get a wide variety of suggestions/ response from members specifically knowledgeable in your issue. This thread might have a limited audience b'cos this is primarily for discussing immigration of parents and you may not get a lot of answers here.

I thought I would update both my parents cases...well regarding my dad's RFE, turns out they needed the 2005 taxes, so I sent that in. Rgarding my mom's case... this is actually a long story, when she was entering the country, the officer letting her into the country looked at her name and said this isnt right, so my mom showed him her passport, and told him that it was correct. he then told her that the last time she entered( which was 6 months before this) the officer admitting her into the country put her middle name as her last, and her last name as her middle name... then he started yelling at her telling her why she wasnt putting her middle name as her last, and asking if she was trying to come and hide in the country and what exactly was she trying to do. in short he was very mean and loud and rude... and finally he took the I94 and changed the name on it and then let her into the country.

Now, when we we applied for her green card, we used the proper name, which is what is found in her passport, and all her legal documents,and we sent them in... when she went to do the finger printing, the lady there saw the I94 on her passportwith the name mixed up, and crossed out her name on the fingerprinting notice.... and scribbled all over the paper, then said that she will change her name in the system!!! and that from now on, her middle name is her last name.. we tried explaining that all the documents state otherwise, but she wouldnt listen. Now we have her passport and US drivers license and social security numbers in 1 name, but her green card will be with another name??

this was back in february, since then there havent been any updates online... and her travel document and employment authorization havent been aproved yet. so since it has been more than 90 days, we got an info pass appointment, and went to ask about what happened to the advance parole, and the EAD... the lady at the advance parol desk, said there is nothing she can do, and said we should call the USCIS 1 800 number, they will be able to tell us more!!!!! At the EAD, they gave her the iEAD... but they fingerprinted her again... only it was just a 1 finger thing, not all 10 like before.... I am now concerned that her fingerprinting isnt with her file... maybe there is a problem somewhere??? I dont know. I am not sure if there is something we need to be doing now, but I am worried that her application may get rejected because of the confusion.... and if it does get rejected and we reapply, we will have to go throught he whole process all over again, and even the fingerpriting lady will insist on changing her name again..... so this will never be resolved... any adeas or advice??? what should we do now?? thanks a lot for your input.

RFE for Dad's Birth Certificate

I have filed a GC application for my parents as of Jan 2006 - They are currently in the US and have applied for I-485. They did their finger printing last month. Recently, we received a RFE for the birth certificate. I had submitted a copy of the affidavits in the application (2 for each parent). I had not submitted a non-availabilty of birth certificate earlier.

Question:
My father was born pre-independence in a city which is now in Pakistan. His Indian passport says that he was born in Pakistan. Hence, all the GC forms say that he was born in Pak. Now, it is not possible for us to get a non-availability of birth certificate from the municipal authority in Pak.
I am sure there have been many cases like these in the past. However, I was unable to get any concrete information from BCIS.
The first agent I talked to insisted that I get a letter from Pakistan.
Today, another agent did not insist that a letter was necessary but did not commit that it wasn't needed. She focused on secondary evidence.

My current plan is to -
1. Send a copy of the affidavits again (I asked the agent and she said a copy is fine)
2. Send a notarized copy of the school certificate showing the name and date of birth. Since this is in Hindi, I'll be translating it (notary refused to notarize the translation, which is certified by the translator - me).
3. Send a letter saying that it is not possible to obtain a letter from the municipal authority.

Is this sufficient for BCIS? What else should I be doing?

Thanks.

sea_gc said:
Question:
My father was born pre-independence in a city which is now in Pakistan. His Indian passport says that he was born in Pakistan. Hence, all the GC forms say that he was born in Pak. Now, it is not possible for us to get a non-availability of birth certificate from the municipal authority in Pak.
I am sure there have been many cases like these in the past. However, I was unable to get any concrete information from BCIS.
The first agent I talked to insisted that I get a letter from Pakistan.
Today, another agent did not insist that a letter was necessary but did not commit that it wasn't needed. She focused on secondary evidence.

My current plan is to -
1. Send a copy of the affidavits again (I asked the agent and she said a copy is fine)
2. Send a notarized copy of the school certificate showing the name and date of birth. Since this is in Hindi, I'll be translating it (notary refused to notarize the translation, which is certified by the translator - me).
3. Send a letter saying that it is not possible to obtain a letter from the municipal authority.

Is this sufficient for BCIS? What else should I be doing?

Thanks.

You are on right track.

In my case, since it was taking more time to get the Non-Availability for my mum, I went ahead and sent her school certificates which had her DOB. We did not get any RFE.

But once I received the cert from back home, I've mailed it to NBC MO address and a copy to Chicago lockbox with the copy of receipt I-485. Not sure whether they updated her file with this NAC or the Affidavits with school certs was enough. I can only find out what's the case is during the interview on 5/18.

I would suggest you write a letter notifying the USCIS about birth place - Pakistan and how you cannot get a letter from Municipal Office.

Translated copy - get it notarized by some other notary if one refuses.

To be on safe side, let a friend of yours to translate the certs and not you, or you do it on behalf of your friend and let that friend sign it and get it notarized.

Usually notary's notarize your signature, so try again. Check with your office, Finance/Accounting Dept will definitely have a notary.

one or two I-864 Affidavit of Support ?

How many original affidavit of support forms are needed when applying for parents ? One for each parent (two in total), or one original for one parent and a photocopy for the other ?

The general filing instructions say photocopies may b e submitted for any spouse immigrating with the immigrant being sponsored. Is one parent considered to be immigrating with the other parent ? In other words, should the total number of immigrants being sponsored in Part 4, Section B, Line 2 be 2 ?

Thanks very much!

Ranchun,

You need two original affidavit of support (one for each parent).

Did you get I-130 approval from VSC for your parents? When was it approved?

I hope VSC is approving I130 faster than their processing timelines are indicating.

Thanks.

visaapplicant said:
Ranchun,

You need two original affidavit of support (one for each parent).

Did you get I-130 approval from VSC for your parents? When was it approved?

I hope VSC is approving I130 faster than their processing timelines are indicating.

Thanks.

No, we didn't get the I-130 approval yet from VSC. (The ND was 12/13/2005.) I can't believe it is taking this long at VSC which has always had a reputation of fast case turnaround...

Thanks for your reply.

GC CP DS-230 Question

New here. Read a lot and have a question. Help appreciated from knowldegable folks that are contributing so well on this forum.

I-130 applied July 05 from California. (CP for Mumbai)
Affidavit of support, $70 fees, finally W-2 etc. with $380 fees all sent with all forms as one by one requested by NVC. They received it April 24th, 2006.

Assuming will receive DS-230 now as agent of my parents in India.

What should I collect now and what should parents do before receiving form DS-230? Some say send downloaded copy filled by parents, NVC form mentions not to do that clearly.

Also, how much time frame from this stage till able to enter US (completion of interview, backgroud check and FP at POE or at Mumbai consulate)

Any suggestions appreciated.

Shocked about DS-230

Receipt Date Aug 2005.
Notice Date Feb 2006.
I-864 Date March 2006.
IV Fee Date April 10, 2006.

April 10 I got a paper called Immigrant Visa Application Fee Bill.
With that I had to send $380 cashier's check. I did that.
The same form clearly indicates the following.

Once we receive immigrant visa fees, we will send you DS-230.
Only orginal application is to be returned.
Do not send computer downloaded application.

So obviously I did not send DS-230 from computer.
Send only fees.

Now today I get this letter......

Missing Document list........NVC has received I-864. But still waiting for DS-230 and/or related fee/s.

I am confused.
ANy help from you folks would be great.

I did send fees as they said. Did the fee get sent at wrong address?
I destroyed receipt once I confirmed package was received on April 24.
(where my wife had mailed and she confirms was sent to address on envelope)

(The phone system says they send me the letter on the 25th April, which means it was based on fees received April 24th I assume)

Should I send DS-230 despite they saying not to from computer.

I was on phone for 1 hour but it keeps disconnecting as no operator available.
I have sent e mail but wonder when I receive response.

Any help you guys.....Has this been heard before?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I file I-130 and I-485 at the same time for my mother? My mother is currently in the US.
Thanks!!!
Guang

learner29 said:
Receipt Date Aug 2005.
Notice Date Feb 2006.
I-864 Date March 2006.
IV Fee Date April 10, 2006.

April 10 I got a paper called Immigrant Visa Application Fee Bill.
With that I had to send $380 cashier's check. I did that.
The same form clearly indicates the following.

So obviously I did not send DS-230 from computer.
Send only fees.

Now today I get this letter......

Missing Document list........NVC has received I-864. But still waiting for DS-230 and/or related fee/s.

I am confused.
ANy help from you folks would be great.

I did send fees as they said. Did the fee get sent at wrong address?
I destroyed receipt once I confirmed package was received on April 24.
(where my wife had mailed and she confirms was sent to address on envelope)

(The phone system says they send me the letter on the 25th April, which means it was based on fees received April 24th I assume)

Should I send DS-230 despite they saying not to from computer.

I was on phone for 1 hour but it keeps disconnecting as no operator available.
I have sent e mail but wonder when I receive response.

Any help you guys.....Has this been heard before?

learner29,

The missing document letter that you received from NVC could be a timing issue. You sent the fees but before it is cashed and recorded in their system, the missing document letter may have been generated. Whatever I have seen in this forum so far, NVC processing has been smooth for most part. But this type of thing can happen. You are doing the right thing in terms of contacting NVC to find out. People usually say that it is easier to get hold of NVC cust svc than USCIS cust svc. So it is disturbing to learn about your experience. Hopefully you will have a better luck contacting them next time.

As you will see from other posters in this thread, people have used downloaded forms. However, it will be your decision. If you are not in particular hurry, you can wait to receive it from NVC and use that.

For agent form, did your parents sign the original form that they receive from NVC and sent it back? How did you handle that? Is barcode printed on DS-3032 form itself or on different sheet of paper?

learner29 said:
What should I collect now and what should parents do before receiving form DS-230? Some say send downloaded copy filled by parents, NVC form mentions not to do that clearly.

In earlier post in this thread, I listed the stuff needed alongwith DS 230 and at the interview based on what I have gathered so far

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=202993&page=13&pp=15

learner29 said:
Also, how much time frame from this stage till able to enter US (completion of interview, backgroud check and FP at POE or at Mumbai consulate)

It depends on when NVC sends file to Mumbai (usually within 2 weeks of receiving DS-230 and if everything is in order) and when Mumbai schedules the interview (hopefully in a couple of weeks of receiving file from NVC). After they get their immigration visa, they have to enter USA anytime within 180 days.

My understanding is that background check etc. will be completed before the interview or within few days after it and visa will be issued. However, I am curious to see whether they are doing elaborate digital fingerprinting in Mumbai consulate and have applicants wait till the background check clears. Based on Muni's post earlier in this thread it seems so. I hope that is not the case. Recently Jaise posted (in Consular Forum) his parents interview/approval experience at Chennai. He mentioned they were fingerprinted but they were approved right after the interview.

My parents will be going to Mumbai consulate for interview and I would appreciate if you would keep us posted with your progress and share your experience.

Good luck!

csren said:
Can I file I-130 and I-485 at the same time for my mother? My mother is currently in the US.
Thanks!!!
Guang

Yes, if you are a US citizen and your mother is currently in US, you can file I130 and I485 at the same time. Please follow the instructions on USCIS website. Good luck!

learner29 said:

VisaApplicant -

Could this be a new instruction? I've never seen this sort of thing mentioned by other applicants earlier. Is it possible that NVC has added this note in their recent letters, for a reason? :confused:

I was under the impression when some one is sent a fee bill, they should just make the payment and actually wait for the DS-230 to be sent from NVC. Once they receive DS-230, then they should send the previously signed (by the parent) downloaded form back to NVC ASAP. This is how I was planning to do it. Was this your plan too? Or were you planning to send both the fee (with the fee bill) and the DS-230 form together?

jenimmi said:
VisaApplicant -

Could this be a new instruction? I've never seen this sort of thing mentioned by other applicants earlier. Is it possible that NVC has added this note in their recent letters, for a reason? :confused:

I was under the impression when some one is sent a fee bill, they should just make the payment and actually wait for the DS-230 to be sent from NVC. Once they receive DS-230, then they should send the previously signed (by the parent) downloaded form back to NVC ASAP. This is how I was planning to do it. Was this your plan too? Or were you planning to send both the fee (with the fee bill) and the DS-230 form together?

Jenimmi,

I am not sure that it is new instruction. I believe I saw it in some earlier posts as well. NVC always wants people to use the forms that they send. It is only to save time, that some people use downloaded DS 230 form. Based on some of the posts we have seen, people have not had problems after using downloaded forms.

In the interest of time, I am planning to do what you have outlined. Also we should send fees and form separately per the instructions and only after we receive a request for that. The return address for fee and form are also different. We will have to see how the actual process works.

Thanks VisaApplicant. I don't know how many times I'm going to be confused before we receive any info about I-130 approval. From learner's post I'm appalled to see the big time gap between RD and Approval date (6 mths). I hope it is not indicative of recent Processing time.

Did you notice the "really" slow processing by VSC? Almost 3 months after our RD, it's still showing processing date as Dec 10? :(