GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

Questions on applying for GC for parents

My parents have been here since last month on B1/B2 visa. I want to apply GC for them. On my mother's I-94 the immigration officer has put down as "No COS/EOS". If that's the case can I still apply for their GC, since in this case it will be change of status (COS).

After their six months is over, can they still stay here if I applied for their GC?

If I apply for their GC now, will they be able to leave the country, since they have plans to visit Canada.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kumar

Received interview letter for my dad. Now im confuse on what to bring for the interview. My USC brother petitioned my dad, we are not sure what to bring for the interview. . So far this is what we are thinking of bringing to the interview. .

Fathers birth certificate
Brothers birth certificate and naturalization certificate
My birth certificate and my sisters too
Tax return and W2's for the past three years

That's all I can think of right now. Anything else I should bring?

Pakistan CP I-130 Processing Time

Hello All,

I am thinking of starting the CP I-130 process for my parents in Pakistan. Does any have time experiences or end to end times the whole process requires, from day 1 to the day my parents can land in the U.S??

Thanks in advance.

Hello folks,
I have a question regarding sponsoring GC for my parents. I am naturalizing this year, so I would like to start processing their GC ASAP. Currently my parents have a 10 year multiple entry B2 expiring in 2015.
1. If I start their GC processing, say in Dec 2007 and if they are in India at
that time, will they be able to travel to the US on their B2 Visa? Or will
the B2 become invalid once their GC petition is filed?
2. Can I file their GC when they visit me next time, so they can get it while
they are staying with me, instead of getting it via Consular
processing? Would that be faster? Also if I file their GC while they are in
the US, can I keep asking USIS for their I-94 extension until their GC is
approved?

Any advise in this connection will be highly appreciated.

Question on Address of Parents in I-130 and 485

Hello,

I am getting ready to mail my parents I-130 and I -485 application and I am confused on which address to use. They live in India and currently in US as Visitors from the last 2 months.

In the I-130 form, Part C Question 2, should I give the US address they are currently living or their residence in India?

In I-485 Part 1 Address, Should I give the US address?

In I-325A, I am only giving the address in India and not mentioning the 5 months they stayed in US thrice during the last 5 years. Do I need to list them.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Hi gcfine,

I haven't heard anything about my parent's case. The LUD is still 4/27 for I485. Waiting...

New Immmigration Bill

"Family connections alone would no longer be enough to qualify for a green card — except for spouses and minor children of U.S. citizens.
New limits would apply to U.S. citizens seeking to bring foreign-born parents into the country"

Do you guys think once the bill turns into law, it will be retroactive, or would the pending applications be grandfathered in?

Please help,

We received a notice to send DS230 forms for my parent but did not say part I only. Please let me know if I have to fill both Part I and Part II and send back to Portsmouth, NH

Basic questions about sponsoring GC for parents

Guys,

This question may have already been `beaten to death' but I didn't see a concise summary of various steps involved in sponsoring GC for parents (mom, in my case). Is this summary fair?

1. Child (who is a US citizen) sends I-130 form with all the requisite docs.
2. A case number gets assigned.
3. DS3032 sent to parent. Let us say parent selects child as `agent' and posts DS3032 back.
4. Child gets a bill for I-864.
5. Child posts the bill.
6. Child gets I-864. Fills it and sends it back.
7. Child gets a notice for Immigration visa fee.
8. Child fills it and sends it back.
9. Child gets the DS-230 packet. Then you wait for your interview date.
10. Go to interview at the appropriate consulate.

Please correct/confirm the above steps. Thanks,
Sidd

Font size adjustment for fillable forms?

Can any expert shed me some lights on how to handle the font size problem on all these CIS fillable forms? For example, if my entry is longer than the predefined space/font, I get a '+' sign while part of the entry gets truncated and won't get printed out.

How did you guys work around this? I know I can open the form in Adobe form editor and enlarge the space or redefine the fonts but I just don't feel comfortable messing up with official forms plus I don't believe other people all went through that hassle.

Appreciate any inputs.

Hi Folks,

First of all once again I would like to thank everyone in this forum. I got all the info I needed for my own greencard process from here. It took me 4 months to receive my permanent residency through my wife back in Maine(applied November 2005, received GC March 2006). Ever since then, I joined the army and then swore in as a citizen last month. My wife and I are expecting our first baby this september. I am now in a confused state on what to do about the rest of my family.

My mother is a widow and she depends on my brother and me. My whole point of getting naturalized was so I could immigrate her. I am scheduled to deploy very soon now and don't know how to handle this. My mother would like to visit the US and live with us so she can see our child. However I am not sure if she'll want to live permanently in the US (she's right now in Gurgaon).

On the other hand my brother and his wife would eventually like to immigrate too, but in the long term as he is well established in India. I know it's hard to immigrate my brother without immigrating my mom. However if my mother immigrates, I highly doubt if we'll be able to afford to send her to India and back every 6 months or so. I however do know for sure that I am all my wife has got for support(her mother is also deploying as she's in the army) and I will deploy right after our baby is born. We will need my mom to be around for support then and she wants to come. Should I try to immigrate her and send in her I-130 or should I try to get her a 10 year visa? Which one will be easier? I thank u all for ur advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
For whatever it's worth, my own solution is to open the form in Adobe designer and expand the fillable area manually. This is mainly for G325-A address/employment history part -- the 4 digits year number never fits in the original CIS form space. Of course another choice is to leave that blank and fill in manually with a pen.

Font size adjustment for fillable forms?

Can any expert shed me some lights on how to handle the font size problem on all these CIS fillable forms? For example, if my entry is longer than the predefined space/font, I get a '+' sign while part of the entry gets truncated and won't get printed out.

How did you guys work around this? I know I can open the form in Adobe form editor and enlarge the space or redefine the fonts but I just don't feel comfortable messing up with official forms plus I don't believe other people all went through that hassle.

Appreciate any inputs.

Hi Folks,

First of all once again I would like to thank everyone in this forum. I got all the info I needed for my own greencard process from here. It took me 4 months to receive my permanent residency through my wife back in Maine(applied November 2005, received GC March 2006). Ever since then, I joined the army and then swore in as a citizen last month. My wife and I are expecting our first baby this september. I am now in a confused state on what to do about the rest of my family.

My mother is a widow and she depends on my brother and me. My whole point of getting naturalized was so I could immigrate her. I am scheduled to deploy very soon now and don't know how to handle this. My mother would like to visit the US and live with us so she can see our child. However I am not sure if she'll want to live permanently in the US (she's right now in Gurgaon).

On the other hand my brother and his wife would eventually like to immigrate too, but in the long term as he is well established in India. I know it's hard to immigrate my brother without immigrating my mom. However if my mother immigrates, I highly doubt if we'll be able to afford to send her to India and back every 6 months or so. I however do know for sure that I am all my wife has got for support(her mother is also deploying as she's in the army) and I will deploy right after our baby is born. We will need my mom to be around for support then and she wants to come. Should I try to immigrate her and send in her I-130 or should I try to get her a 10 year visa? Which one will be easier? I thank u all for ur advice.

I would think since your baby is on the way, the easiest and quickest would be to get your mother her on a visitor's visa, and if she can stay, you can always do the adjustment of status. The process is now taking at least a year, if you go thru the I-130 process.

However, depending on the consulate, you might have trouble getting a visa. My parents went for a visitor visa, after I became citizen, and they were told to apply for Immigration status, since they don't qualify for a visitor's visa.

But in your case, since you are about to be deployed, I'm sure you can send a letter to the consulate office, and your request for visitor visa will be granted. Good Luck!

Need advice -

Hi Experts,

I recently became citizen and now I would like to sponser my parents and my brother for family based greencard. The problem comes as my younger brother who is above 21 is mentally retartded and dependent on my parents. Now if I apply for my parents and my brother, my parent will get approval much earlier than my brother (based on current Queues). Now my brother can't stay alone and needs to travel with my parent.

As per my info, once I apply green card for my brother he can not be given even the visitor visa. This will stop even my parents as they can't come without my brother.

What should I do in this circumstances ? Any idea or rules are there by which they can come all together. I can produce medical certificate for my brother if required.

One more info is they all had come to US about 4 years back on visitor visa.

Thanks,
RASMMM

Hi, down123,
my parents' case also was transferred to csc on 5/18. but I just received the notice that my mom need do the fingerprint again.

When you get something good news, please post it, thanks.

wish both of us lucky

Documents for Father's Birth Certificate

My dad was born in India in 1945 in Aligarh. His family then migrated to Pakistan. I tried to get a NABC from India and was unable to do so from the district. I tried thru yourmaninindia.com and they said certain districts in the UP don't provide it.

My question was in absense of the NABC, should affidavits from 2 relatives, matriculation certificates, and passport be enough? The 2 relatives will be the oldest living cousins since my all my dad's uncles, aunts have passed away, along with his parents.

I wanted to know if this will be sufficient.

Thanks!

Hi,
I am going thru a divorce currently. I want to sponsor my parents and adjust their status while they are here. I have questions regarding the affidavit of support - as my husband will not sign it, and i am still legally married - divorce pending. There is no option for divorce pending in the forms. Can someone advice what i shud do. thanks

Pleaaaasee reply

I am going to file I 864 for my parents and my income is enough. Do i need I864-A from my husband? thanks

Regarding green card process for my parents

We petitioned I-30 for my parents. Is there any chance the new law that is being debated right now would affect the applicants in the near future that are alreading pending and yet to be adjudicated. What is your take on this new bill, I mean will it eventually get passed or will get fizzled out like what happened last year. I am just airing my concerns for me and others who have already applied and waiting with bated breadth to get their process succesfully over. Your inputs are appreciated.