GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

Hey guys,
I have a question relating to Family category immigration.
If a naturilized US citizen wants to petition for his/her parents and other siblings such as brother/sister.How long does it usually take to get their papers in order?How many years?
I know it takes a long time,I just want to know more details.
For parents there is no waiting period for processing, it's just the processing time which usually takes from 2 months to a year. For siblings it's 11+ years waiting period.
Here is the site for current processing dates: http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_3219.html.
Some additional info,parents together with siblings are in the US,in other words they don't have to get immigrant visa to get into the country, all they have to do is adjust their status.
What you're saying is true for parents, not for siblings. They can't adjust their status if they don't have one. In other words, the siblings should somehow maintain their legal status until their priority date is current, otherwise they have to go back and do consular processing.

For parents there is no waiting period for processing, it's just the processing time which usually takes from 2 months to a year. For siblings it's 11+ years waiting period.
Here is the site for current processing dates: http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_3219.html.

What you're saying is true for parents, not for siblings. They can't adjust their status if they don't have one. In other words, the siblings should somehow maintain their legal status until their priority date is current, otherwise they have to go back and do consular processing.

Anahit,
thanks for the info.I guess it's better to petition for parents and do not even bother about siblings.I've heard that it takes a long time,but was not sure about it.
Back to the parents,are you saying that their cases can be approved anywhere in 2 to 12 months?Will they be able to travel and get EAD while their cases pending?
thanks again.

Anahit,
thanks for the info.I guess it's better to petition for parents and do not even bother about siblings.I've heard that it takes a long time,but was not sure about it.
Back to the parents,are you saying that their cases can be approved anywhere in 2 to 12 months?Will they be able to travel and get EAD while their cases pending?
thanks again.

Yes. Only, if they are out of status at the time of applying, it is not a good idea to travel before getting the green cards.

Thank you for sharing -- and apparently you've got your NC cleared, congratulations!

My lawyer will be sending I130/I485 for my wife soon (I am a sponsor).
Lawyer asked only for photocopies of everything (my wife's birth certificate, our marriage certificate, my naturalization certificate).

BTW, thanks for answering on my PM.

I have a question for concurrently filing of I130/I485. In the 1st message of this thread it says that we should use the Chicago lock box. But instructions on I130 and I485 are not consistent about where to file. Can someone clarify which one is more official?

Hi everyone,

I have a question. My mom's case (concurrent I130/I485) was transfered to CSC on 4/2. On 4/25, I received email that "Current Status: This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred". What will happen next? Pray it goes smoothly!

I will become a USC soon. And I need some information on how to bring my parents to live in the US.
I know I have to send an I-130, is any other form also require, or only after I-130 approval (they are now outside US) ???? How long it takes??? Will they get a green card or visa before migrate to US???

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I will become a USC soon. And I need some information on how to bring my parents to live in the US.
I know I have to send an I-130, is any other form also require, or only after I-130 approval (they are now outside US) ???? How long it takes??? Will they get a green card or visa before migrate to US???

Thanks
Read the beginning of this thread!

I-130 for siblings

I just became a USC last week. Horray! :)

Now I want to file I-130 for my brother. (Yeah I know it's a long wait but I guess it's better to be late than never...) In the form, it asks for the name an DOB for his family member. Does that mean my brother's wife and son can be the derivative beneficiary along with my brother? In other words, can his wife and son also apply for greencard at the same time as him?

I just became a USC last week. Horray! :)

Now I want to file I-130 for my brother. (Yeah I know it's a long wait but I guess it's better to be late than never...) In the form, it asks for the name an DOB for his family member. Does that mean my brother's wife and son can be the derivative beneficiary along with my brother? In other words, can his wife and son also apply for greencard at the same time as him?
Never mind. I got the following answer from USCIS website:

Please note that you do not need to file separate visa petitions for your brother’s or sister’s spouse or his/her unmarried children under 21 years of age. They may accompany or follow to join your brother and sister. This includes adopted children who fit the definition of adopted child in the immigration law (101(b)(1)(E) but not (F)).

how long does it take to get a receipt?

hi there!

I just filed the I-130 form for both my parents and still haven't received a receipt, they haven't cashed the checks too. Does it take 1-2 months to get a receipt from the INS?

Does the INS send any paperwork to the parents if they are outside US?

Thanks

Dinx

***I-130 filed for both parents April 17, 2007

Last edited by a moderator:
applying GC for parents

Hi,

My parents are here in US on B2 visa now. Do they have to maintain legal status before applying GC? The problem is I am still in the process of applying my citizenship and by the time I get my citizenship, my parents I-94 might expire.

Hi,

My parents are here in US on B2 visa now. Do they have to maintain legal status before applying GC? The problem is I am still in the process of applying my citizenship and by the time I get my citizenship, my parents I-94 might expire.
Their overstay would be forgiven. However, they can't travel until they get their green cards, which might be a while considering that you haven't even applied for your citizenship yet.

I'm about to start the GC process for my parents in Chennai

Hi,

I found a lot of information but it looks like all this happened a while ago. Can someone tell me if it is easier to apply for GC through CP or if it makes sense for my parents to be in the US while I apply.

Also, do I have to wait for a visa number after filing I 130?? A reply/pointers are much appreciated.

thank you,
Ambika

which part of India are your parents from? I'm a beginner to this and would like to understand what needs to be done to get a GC for my parents.

thanks Anahit,

I found a lot of information but it looks like all this happened a while ago. Can someone tell me if it is easier to apply for GC through CP or if it makes sense for my parents to be in the US while I apply.
It's still happening for a lot of us... :rolleyes:
If your parents are outside of US and they think about moving to US, it makes sense for them to do consular processing.
which part of India are your parents from? I'm a beginner to this and would like to understand what needs to be done to get a GC for my parents.

thanks Anahit,
If you're referring to my parents, they are from Armenia, not from India.
To have an idea about the process, you can read about it at www.uscis.goc, and, of course, on this forum.

Dawn123, did you get any update?
my parent's case:

4/20/07 mailed out
4/22/07 received
4/26/07 notice date
4/30/07 received the receipt
5/07/07 received the ft notice
5/16/06 fp appointment