GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

jenimmi said:
This is totally news to me. Thanks for looking it up and confirming. I didn't know that the DO will send a separate IL, with its own rules. The only one I got so far was an IL from MO and none from the DO itself. I'll have to wait and see. It just seems weird that the sponsor in a family based case (who has to be a 'relative' by USCIS' own definition) cannot go to the beneficiary's interview. Any body else got such a letter?

Anyway last month when I checked, I was told by a Supervisor at Newark DO, that I can accompany my Mom to her interview as an interpreter/Sponsor. That's what I've seen people doing so far on the forums too. So, this seems to be something new? Before your Mom's interview, you should still call Hartford DO and ask them if you can go there as her interpreter.
If we get sent a letter similar to yours, I really don't have a choice and I will have to be her interpreter.

Total news to me too. My parents will have interview next Tuesday, we did not receive any letter from our DO (Philly). Do I need to find them a interpreter?

qq! said:
My Mom was interviewed on 7/5/06. Not sure if the rules and procedures are changed, or it was just our luck... Anyway, there are a few notes I'd like to share with you:

First I was told that I can NOT translate for my Mom since I'm also the petitioner - conflict of interest. I said I was able to translate for my Dad and wasn't aware of this rule. The officer looked at the IL again and said 'Ok, I'll let you translate since she's your Mom. But next time, she has to bring her own translator. And if I find you answer any questions for her, you're out.' First I was happy he let me translate, but next time?! Are you kidding me? I sure hope that's the last time we had to go to that office. (The officer was not particularly rude, but he didn't even smile once during the whole interview. Luckily, it was a short interview.)

We were asked some simple questions and mother answered most on her own and he collected my 05 tax return, 05 W2, my parents' marriage certificate (notarized copy) and copies of my pay stubs for the last two monthes. Then he said a letter will be mailed to us within two weeks with a decision. I asked if the background check results are all back and a decision can be made the same day, he said yes, but he needed to verify the birth certificate on the computer and asked us to go back and wait for the letter. We thought they normally stamp your passport at the interview if all is clear. We were disappointed that we didn't get to know the result right away. Mother wan't too upset, she said we waited this long, what's another two weeks. But I was. It seems they should review the case and verify anything in question before the interview, why wait another two weeks?! That's completely B.S.!

I've been checking my mail box, emails and the status online daily. Until last night, nothing yet. But this morning, the status changed to 'On July 18, 2006, after approving your application, we ordered you a new card...'
Finally, this is almost over. ( I won't say it's over until we receive the card.)

Best luck to all!

Thanks qq! for detailed info.

real_eng said:
Total news to me too. My parents will have interview next Tuesday, we did not receive any letter from our DO (Philly). Do I need to find them a interpreter?

It's good that so far you haven't received an IL from the DO itself. If the IL that you got from MSC/NBC doesn't specify this rule of non-relative interpreter, then you are good. If asked by the interviewer you can always say that such a thing is news to you as it is not mentioned in the IL.

I too am hoping that I wouldn't get this separate IL with this instruction.
Please post your parents Interview exp when done, we'll be looking forward to it.
Lots of good luck!

waydwyl said:
Thanks to everbody on this list for sharing valuable information.

My Mom came here on visiting visa and is staying with me for the last 4 months. I am currently on GC, but my brother is a citizen. He is going to file my Mom's immigration petition (I-130, I-485 AOS). My brother and I live in different States. He lives in Nebraska and I live in Indiana. Can my brother file my Mom's petition, although she is not staying with him in Nebraska. If he gives her current address in I-485 as mine(where she is living) will she have finger-printing and ultimately interview in Indiana or does she have to live with the petitioner for the complete process. She very well likes to live with brother, but he is always traveling becoz of his job.

Appreciate your help!!!
Yes, she can stay with you and go thru processing in Indiana even though your brother - the sponsoring USC, lives in Nebraska.
Good luck!

Thank you all!
Here are some answers to your questions, jenimmi:

jenimmi said:
Hearty Congratulations, qq!

Thanks very much for sharing the interview details. It really helps. At least the ordeal is over for your Mom. I remember that you were waiting for name check clearance for your Dad, any news on that?

We're still waiting for the name check clearnace for my Dad. I'm planning to send a letter to inquire the status. I'm also wondering if anyone else out there who have been waiting for name check clearance have got any update.

Recently user "Patel" posted that his IL from DO mentioned that his Mom has to bring an interpreter who is not a relative. We assumed that it was a generic letter sent out to all family based cases - particularly GC for spouse cases - and therefore probably does not apply to parents and sponsor can be the interpreter. But your Mom's interview exp proves that they do mean no relatives as interpreters.

This rule is certainly new and unnecessarily complicated for parents case. Some who used to post here (Newark applicants) have been interpreters for their parents. It is unfair that while for some (parents case), is transferred to CSC and approved without interview - for the others we have an interview PLUS we can not even be interpreters. This rule is really going to be a problem for us next month when we have the interview. Where am I going to find an interpreter.. sigh..

It appears your Mom is somewhat fluent in her English that she was able to understand most questions. I am not so sure about my Mom's english. Will you be able to post any question you remember she was asked? It would really help or give an idea, to prepare my Mom with these.

I believe my Mom's IL is from MSC, not DO. And I don't recall seeing the requirement of bringing an interpreter that is not a relative. She understands the simple questions like - 'please state your name, birthdate, and address.' 'Are you married?' 'How many children do you have?' All the questions are answered in the application, but I guess they really want to hear it from the applicant. Some other questions are - 'Have you ever been deported from U.S?' 'Have you ever been arrested?'

Just curious - did her IL specify that she had to bring a notarized copy of Marriage certificate? When petitioning for Mother, I thought this wasn't one of the docs asked. Was it something, that you just gave to the officer?

No, the IL didn't say anything about the marriage certificate. I just brought it along because it was there for my Dad's interview. I agree, a marriage certificate is not necessary for applying for your mother. I was surprised the officer asked for it and it was a good thing I brought it along.

It's alarming that your mom wasn't approved on the same day b'cos interviewer had to verify Birth certificate. This is again an issue for us. No BC was available, so we sent the Non-availability BC earlier with I-485. I wonder what issues we'll run into b'cos of this. If you don't mind, can you please share which country your Mom is from - I'm asking this to find out if they do it with applicants from certain countries only, that they want to double-verify BCs.

I think it was just an execuse to push it off for another two weeks. We have submitted a copy of the notarized birth certificate (from China) and I brought along the original copy, but he didn't even look at it.

I was not worrying about my Mom's interview at all, I thought this is very easy based on interview exp of parents posted so far - and also that I can answer for her at the interview. Your mom's interview exp is an eye-opener and got me on the alert. Thank you very much once again for sharing this with us and hopefully you can answer some of my questions.

Hope this helps and good luck!

non availability of parents birth certificate

Hello All:

My parents have only their SSLC certificate for thier date of birth, since birth certificates were not issued back then. Will this be sufficient for interview. Any recent experience on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Murthy

Thanks qq! for the response. I really appreciate it.

If I don't receive an IL with the new requirement of a 3rd party interpreter, I plan to be the interpreter. I guess it's a risk that I'm going to take, on the day of the interview.

mkrishnarevera said:
Hello All:

My parents have only their SSLC certificate for thier date of birth, since birth certificates were not issued back then. Will this be sufficient for interview. Any recent experience on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Murthy

My parents had the same issue too. They only had school and college certificate with the DOB. We had to get Non-Availability Birth Certificate from the township/municipality they were born as supporting doc. I think these requirements will be mentioned in the interview packet that they get from the consulate. More info on this thread:
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=201853

jenimmi said:
It's good that so far you haven't received an IL from the DO itself. If the IL that you got from MSC/NBC doesn't specify this rule of non-relative interpreter, then you are good. If asked by the interviewer you can always say that such a thing is news to you as it is not mentioned in the IL.

I too am hoping that I wouldn't get this separate IL with this instruction.
Please post your parents Interview exp when done, we'll be looking forward to it.
Lots of good luck!
Thank you Jenimmi. I will post the info after it done. Hope everything all go well.

CP update

I got the I-864 form & instruction on 7/20 and mailed it back to NVC on 7/21.

It was quite confusing as the instructions sheet had requirements different from the set of instructions for I-864. I called the NVC before I assembled the package and the agent again asked me to send only the most "recent" year's tax return/transcripts, Employment letter (or) most recent Pay stub and said no notarization required.

I decided that whatever the conflicting forms ask for, I'm going to send everything. This is probably not required at all, but I had these anyway and just sent it with a covering letter listing all supporting docs, to be safe.

2003, 04, 05 - Tax transcripts
2003, 04, 05 - W2s
6 months pay stub
Employment letter listing job title, join date, earnings per year
Notarized I-864
Authorization for release of Federal Tax data (NVC sends out this printed form for your signature)
Barcode sheet - separate sheet

jenimmi said:
I got the I-864 form & instruction on 7/20 and mailed it back to NVC on 7/21.

It was quite confusing as the instructions sheet had requirements different from the set of instructions for I-864. I called the NVC before I assembled the package and the agent again asked me to send only the most "recent" year's tax return/transcripts, Employment letter (or) most recent Pay stub and said no notarization required.

I decided that whatever the conflicting forms ask for, I'm going to send everything. This is probably not required at all, but I had these anyway and just sent it with a covering letter listing all supporting docs, to be safe.

2003, 04, 05 - Tax transcripts
2003, 04, 05 - W2s
6 months pay stub
Employment letter listing job title, join date, earnings per year
Notarized I-864
Authorization for release of Federal Tax data (NVC sends out this printed form for your signature)
Barcode sheet - separate sheet

wow... youre case moving along too fast. :D
they just mailed my I-864 form last week, while waiting, i woukld like to get ready all the required evidences.

I am not so sure about tax transcript. Can I used a copy of my Tax Return (Form 1040) instead?

I have not recvd my parents Choice of Agent form. My mom is out of the country and my dad waited for her , so they will be mailed and process at the same time. Hopefully, i will get them this week. :eek:

keep us posted. and thanks for all the detailed info. It help us a lot.

abs49080 said:
wow... youre case moving along too fast. :D
they just mailed my I-864 form last week, while waiting, i woukld like to get ready all the required evidences.

I am not so sure about tax transcript. Can I used a copy of my Tax Return (Form 1040) instead?

I have not recvd my parents Choice of Agent form. My mom is out of the country and my dad waited for her , so they will be mailed and process at the same time. Hopefully, i will get them this week. :eek:

keep us posted. and thanks for all the detailed info. It help us a lot.

Thanks, abs.
Yeah.. they better make it fast this time.. they had me waiting and waiting for my Mom's - they're probably making up for that :D
But seriously, once the case is at NVC, things go very quickly if we send the fees and forms promptly back to them. I've noticed the same thing with other CP cases which were transferred to NVC around the same time and we have the exact same timeline so far.

RE: the supporting docs, I remember the agent at NVC telling me that if we don't have the tax transcripts, then the tax returns would be fine. But if you had filed jointly, then you would have to send your W-2s for that many years, you would send the tax returns for.

Since your Agent form filing is slightly delayed, your IV fee bill will be generated, only after NVC receives the Agent form.

jenimmi said:
Thanks, abs.
Yeah.. they better make it fast this time.. they had me waiting and waiting for my Mom's - they're probably making up for that :D
But seriously, once the case is at NVC, things go very quickly if we send the fees and forms promptly back to them. I've noticed the same thing with other CP cases which were transferred to NVC around the same time and we have the exact same timeline so far.

RE: the supporting docs, I remember the agent at NVC telling me that if we don't have the tax transcripts, then the tax returns would be fine. But if you had filed jointly, then you would have to send your W-2s for that many years, you would send the tax returns for.

Since your Agent form filing is slightly delayed, your IV fee bill will be generated, only after NVC receives the Agent form.

Jenimmi~

I have another question for you if you dont mind. I am planning to have my husband fill up I-864A. Is that form included in the packet you received or you have to call and request for it.

As I work on my income level, they required 125% over the poverty line, i made it to 130% (work part time :eek: ) supporting both my parents, but i thought i dont want to cut it too close to the requirement and have them call me in the later days and ask for more documents.

Is that a good idea having him fill up the form?

Also for paystub, we both have direct deposit so we dont get pay stub or check. Our Statement of Earnings & Deductions are available online, can I just print them instead?

Thanks a lot....

Abs

abs

Abs -

If you made more than 125% and you're able to show employment, tax docs for proof, I don't think you need a co-sponsor (I-864A). There's no cutting it close - either you make the $$ amount they specified or you don't. Anyhow, call the NVC agent to confirm that.

Previously when I called the NVC, the Agent said "send Employment letter or Pay stub which ever you have - Any one is fine for proof". So, send a employment letter along with whatever stmt of earnings that you can get - that should be fine. When you call NVC, confirm this one too.

Got IV Fee bill

A quick update..
I got the IV fee bill for $380 y'day and mailed it back to NVC, MO today (7/25/06).

I also called NVC today and the agent told me that once they receive the IV fee, then they will mail out DS-230 Part I within 2 weeks. Be prepared to attach copy of biographic page of current PP for your relative. I thought 2 PP size pictures need to be sent - the agent said "No Pics, only supporting docs to be sent are PP biographic page copy".

update

Yesterday, My parents went to the interview. Because their appointment is half hour apart, so IO let them in together. He did not mind that I am their interpreter. For most part he talked to me, asked me. Then for the part of verifying the last page of I485 (criminal record), he let me translate to them. They answer. It is very quick.

For my mom, he approved on spot. But he did not stamp on PP. He said the card is coming very quick now (less than 2 weeks), no need to stamp unless you have urgent reason :( I received Email about the approval this morning.

For my dad, his approval is pending on the Name Check :mad: I don't know how long it will take.

jenimmi said:
A quick update..
I got the IV fee bill for $380 y'day and mailed it back to NVC, MO today (7/25/06).

I also called NVC today and the agent told me that once they receive the IV fee, then they will mail out DS-230 Part I within 2 weeks. Be prepared to attach copy of biographic page of current PP for your relative. I thought 2 PP size pictures need to be sent - the agent said "No Pics, only supporting docs to be sent are PP biographic page copy".

Jen,

Thanks for the updates. It will be very helpful to me when NVC process begins for me. At present simply waiting for I130 approval. :(

real_eng said:
For my mom, he approved on spot. But he did not stamp on PP. He said the card is coming very quick now (less than 2 weeks), no need to stamp unless you have urgent reason :( I received Email about the approval this morning.

For my dad, his approval is pending on the Name Check :mad: I don't know how long it will take.

Congratulations on your Mom's GC approval! Hopefully your Dad's name check will clear soon followed by approval.

real_eng said:
Yesterday, My parents went to the interview. Because their appointment is half hour apart, so IO let them in together. He did not mind that I am their interpreter. For most part he talked to me, asked me. Then for the part of verifying the last page of I485 (criminal record), he let me translate to them. They answer. It is very quick.

Congratulations, real_eng!!
At least part of it is good news. Name check in some cases get cleared within one month of interview as I've seen in some posts here - not always a case of waiting for long period of time. So let's hope your Dad's one such quick clearance.

Thanks very much, on the update real_eng. It does help a lot reading your post on the "interpreter" issue. Do you remember besides the set of questions on criminal record etc., what other questions the interviewer asked - either you or your parents?

As the interviewer said, your Mom's GC is probably on its way.
Good luck on your Dad's namecheck (quick) clearance.