GC for parent and minor child (12)

Oac

hello everybody,

i hope sombody can shed some light on this for me.
I know that this has been discussed on the forums before but this is maybe a bit different.
I am a US citizen and i applied for my mom's GC. My mom has another child, she is 12 and her father is dead. My mother is the sole provider, custodian for my sister. Is it possible that my sister can also immigrate to US along with my mother just because she is 12 and has nobody else in the country to take care of her? I actually send the I-130 forms for both of them and i know that at one point there's a question that sounds something like : " name all the children that will accompany this person to US" which made me believe that there must be a chance that this is possible.
I searched the USCIS website but couldn't find anything.

thank you

Is it possible that my sister can also immigrate to US along with my mother just because she is 12 and has nobody else in the country to take care of her?

No. You would need to petition separately for your sister, with a 12-15 year FB4 wait.

i know that at one point there's a question that sounds something like : " name all the children that will accompany this person to US" which made me believe that there must be a chance that this is possible.

Other categories for which the I-130 is used allow derivative beneficiaries. Unfortunately, your mother is not one of them.

I searched the USCIS website but couldn't find anything.

thank you

Here is what State Department says,

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1306.html

Important Notice: If you are now a U.S. citizen, you must file separate immigrant visa petitions for each of your children. If you upgrade a family second preference (F2) petition for your family member and you did not file separate petitions for your children when you were a lawful permanent resident (LPR), you must do so now. A child does not have derivative status in an immediate relative (IR) petition. This is different from the family second preference (F2) petition. A child is included in his/her parent's F2 petition. A child is not included in his/her parent's IR petition.

F3 based GC, age of children ??

Hi I have a related question

My grand mother applied for my mother under (F3) in Nov 2000, and now she will be getting GC in a couple of months, my sister was 17 when the application was filed. she is now over 21,But dependent on parents. Will she automatically qualify for GC ??
How about mt father ??

Thank you very much

My grand mother applied for my mother under (F3) in Nov 2000, and now she will be getting GC in a couple of months, my sister was 17 when the application was filed. she is now over 21,But dependent on parents. Will she automatically qualify for GC ??

Maybe. It depends how long the I-130 took to be approved.

How about mt father ??

Yes.

I am also applying for my parents and my underage sister and i hope this helps.

Important Information

If the applicant has children who intend to immigrate with the applicant to the United States, or to join the applicant in the United States at a later date, please read this important information. In order to immigrate with the applicant to the United States, or to follow the applicant at a later date, the applicant's children must be:

Unmarried
Eligible to be listed under the applicant's visa classification, and
Under the age of 21 at the time they enter the United States

Last edited by a moderator: