GC Application for Parents

likuliku

Registered Users (C)
I plan to apply for my parents GC once I get my US citizenship (hopefully soon!).
They are not in US, so I have to go through CP processing.

My question is, the very first step to apply their GC is simply to fill in the Form I-130 and submit the required supporting documents i.e., my birth certificate, my naturalization certificate & my parents marriage certificate (for my dad). Do I need to submit extra supporting documents during this 1st step? Or I have to wait till I-130 being approved prior to providing other documents?

Thanks a lot!
L

I plan to apply for my parents GC once I get my US citizenship (hopefully soon!).
They are not in US, so I have to go through CP processing.

My question is, the very first step to apply their GC is simply to fill in the Form I-130 and submit the required supporting documents i.e., my birth certificate, my naturalization certificate & my parents marriage certificate (for my dad). Do I need to submit extra supporting documents during this 1st step? Or I have to wait till I-130 being approved prior to providing other documents?

Thanks a lot!
L

That should be good. Once I 130 gets approved then you need additional documents. You can check the USCIS web sit it will be help full for you

That should be good. Once I 130 gets approved then you need additional documents. You can check the USCIS web sit it will be help full for you

I try to search the older posts here to see what are the steps and documents preparation I need for CP based GC application.
But I didn't find any good one.
Can someone give me a pointer?

Please be aware that now only US consulate in Mumbai and US Embassy in New Delhi offer immigrant visa processing (CP) in India.

Please be aware that now only US consulate in Mumbai and US Embassy in New Delhi offer immigrant visa processing (CP) in India.

Can you please tell me from when is this new change? As per my knowledge Chennai US Counsilate is processing GC applications as of 2011 Oct and Dec

Can you please tell me from when is this new change? As per my knowledge Chennai US Counsilate is processing GC applications as of 2011 Oct and Dec

You are right, Jan 2012 . Only Delhi and mumbai. I think that is a very stupid move by USCIS, it is going to cause lot of hard ship for people from south India, they do not speak the language to be able to go to Mumbai and Delhi. Hope the change it soon.

As far as I know, you have been eligible to apply for your parents' green card since the day you received your own green card. You don't have to be a US citizen to apply for your parents or siblings. Being a US citizen is only required for such instances like getting married to a non-US citizen overseas and bringing him/her here. It is said on the USCIS website.

As far as I know, you have been eligible to apply for your parents' green card since the day you received your own green card. You don't have to be a US citizen to apply for your parents or siblings. Being a US citizen is only required for such instances like getting married to a non-US citizen overseas and bringing him/her here. It is said on the USCIS website.

I don't know where you get this kind of crappy information. Please check your facts before posting.

I try to search the older posts here to see what are the steps and documents preparation I need for CP based GC application.
But I didn't find any good one.
Can someone give me a pointer?

That's true likuliku........I am in the same situation as you and not clear as to what to do after I130. Please keep posting step by step your process so the rest of us here can benefit! Thanks and have a speedy journey!

That's true likuliku........I am in the same situation as you and not clear as to what to do after I130. Please keep posting step by step your process so the rest of us here can benefit! Thanks and have a speedy journey!

thats not true, open Google, type GC CP process. you will be able to have very clear information, all you need to do is put some afforts. on top of it ,if you need any further info every one here will help you

there are so many sites and blogs and forums detailing the steps of consular processing that i doubt you will receive many comprehensive replies to such a "blanket" enquiry.
my advice would be to start collecting information(s) about the steps, forms and document checklists. usually the last proves the most onerous as many parents, esp if elderly, often do not have all the necessary documents. these are very specific and if they are not available then the proxies are also very specific. nothing else will work.
so the best thing you can do is familiarize yourself with the steps and gather the documents, so you can send them off as and when required.
also, make a few photocopies. you will have to submit all originals (except passport) to the us at one point. subsequently you will be asked to submit/courier/carry an identical set of photocopies. at the interview they will take the copies and return the originals.

now - since all kinds of things happen in india, here's what we faced. the courier took all the copies and then told my parents to take along another set of copies "just in case....."!!! so it might be helpful if you make 2-3 copies before submitting the originals.

I passed my naturalization interview this morning and has been scheduled for the oath ceremony on 5/24.
I assume I will receive my certificate of naturalization during the oath ceremony?

My next step is to start applying my parents GC.
As I mention in my original post, they are both not in US, so I assume I just have to file the I-130 for the meantime and wait the approval, am I right?

Those with experience with Consulate Processing of parents GC, please provide some tips!

Thanks!

I passed my naturalization interview this morning and has been scheduled for the oath ceremony on 5/24.
I assume I will receive my certificate of naturalization during the oath ceremony?

My next step is to start applying my parents GC.
As I mention in my original post, they are both not in US, so I assume I just have to file the I-130 for the meantime and wait the approval, am I right?

Those with experience with Consulate Processing of parents GC, please provide some tips!

Thanks!

Make sure that you have your original birth certificate with your parents' complete legal names on it and your parents have their marriage certificate.

Copies of both these documents will be required for your parents' I-130. Remember to file separate I-130 for each parent.

See link for I-130 instructions, page 3 items 6 and 7.

Last edited by a moderator:

WOW! I did not believe it was possible for something this WRONG to ever be posted here. Try reading the I-130 form instructions.

This one matches another post where it was claimed that a US citizen has a right to sponsor anyone for a green card without even encountering any US official :)

WOW! I did not believe it was possible for something this WRONG to ever be posted here. Try reading the I-130 form instructions.

Make sure that you have your original birth certificate with your parents' complete legal names on it and your parents have their marriage certificate.

Copies of both these documents will be required for your parents' I-130. Remember to file separate I-130 for each parent.

See link for I-130 instructions, page 3 items 6 and 7.

Filing separate I-130 for each parent means that I need to have two set of documents (i.e., birth cert, naturalization cert, marriage cert (for my dad)) to support the two I-130 forms I filed for my parents.
Can I mail these two sets of documents and forms in the same package? I can use paper clip to separate these 2 sets of docs.

GC Application document for prarents ( Missing a few critical documents )

Dear Experts,

I want to bring my parents to the U.S/California/San Jose. The list of documents required for the application states the following.

* Birth certificate of parents
* Marriage certificate of parents.

We don't have both (Or it will be very difficult for my parents to get it) , can any one suggest how to do this process without these above said documents.

I appreciate your response.

Filing separate I-130 for each parent means that I need to have two set of documents (i.e., birth cert, naturalization cert, marriage cert (for my dad)) to support the two I-130 forms I filed for my parents.
Can I mail these two sets of documents and forms in the same package? I can use paper clip to separate these 2 sets of docs.

You can send both applications in one package, keep both application packets separate. Only copies of documentation are needed, attach one set with each parent's application. Fees also as separate checks.